• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Gear VR : Consumer Edition Thread: Goodbye, real world.

No idea what the demand would be like even though all these people not getting it had it preordered? That's worse.
Amazon could have oversold before shutting down pre-orders. Which is why I'm glad I ordered from best buy and am watching the ups tracker from work.

Has anybody used this with the S6 active?

Active doesn't fit/isn't supported unfortunately.

Amazon could have oversold before shutting down pre-orders. Which is why I'm glad I ordered from best buy and am watching the ups tracker from work.

I think the consensus based on people talking to Amazon customer support is Samsung was the one that dropped the ball getting them their shipment. Sammy kinda bungled this launch.

Kyne

No idea what the demand would be like even though all these people not getting it had it preordered? That's worse.

I'm sure that amazon will send their units out sometime before December. They never cited a release date on their product page so anyone preordering was doing it at their own risk.. (despite Samsung coming out and saying the product would be released on the 20th. There were definitely communication issues)

Has anybody used this with the S6 active?

I don't believe it's compatible with the active.

OneUh8

I am sold on this for sure. I think I will just wait for Christmas or something though. Hopefully by then they are easily available and should have even more content to consume.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Picked up my new Galaxy S6 this morning with the full intention of ordering this item this afternoon.

Come home, all sold out.

Sigh. Got an Amazon order in but who knows when that's coming.

Foggy

Okay so now BB is outta stock, wonder if I got there in time?

Wow Oculus you guys fucked up big. This does not make me very confident about your Rift release.

It's a Samsung product "powered by Oculus". I'm not sure what impact, if any, Oculus had on the actual release of the headset.

Bsigg12

Quick question: can you charge the phone while using the gear?

I have the innovator edition that came out a few months ago for the S6 and it has a USB port that allows you to charge the phone. I would think this new version has it as well. Someone might be able to add some more insight to that though.

YuShtink

The GEAR is really a Samsung product when all said and done. Oculus doesn't have any control over it's manufacturing and shipping.

Rest assured Oculus is going to be prepared for their launch of the Rift. The device has been finalized and they are already in production. Release is probably March 2016. So that's another 4 months to get units spread around.

jon_dojah

Banned
I have the innovator edition that came out a few months ago for the S6 and it has a USB port that allows you to charge the phone. I would think this new version has it as well. Someone might be able to add some more insight to that though.

The IE's charge port allowed you to use S6 w/o using the battery but it didn't actually charge the phone. Basically just a pass-thru port.

The IE's charge port allowed you to use S6 w/o using the battery but it didn't actually charge the phone. Basically just a pass-thru port.
This would also be fine, I just want a way to be able to use it without needing a full charge.

Also I assume the consumer model let's me plug in headphones?

Bsigg12

Oh ok. I was using it last night and just noticed it said charger connected.

This would also be fine, I just want a way to be able to use it without needing a full charge.

Also I assume the consumer model let's me plug in headphones?

Yea, the headphone jack is in a spot that allows you connect headphones. It's what you'll want to use the majority of the time anyways since the headset doesn't have any speakers, it's all piped out of the phone either through the speaker or headphones.

Kyne

need this work day to be over...

qUI1yKX.png

jaypah

There was a VR Jam game named Drift that was awesome. You play as a wandering bullet in bullet-time looking for your target. No idea where to find it now but I'm sure a quick Google search will turn up something.

Nice OT! Could be worth adding a couple of things:

Quake VR!

Package Disabler if you want to run cardboard apps while having the phone inserted. Disable Gear VR Service.

That second one is very good to know about. Any cardboard apps or video content someone can recommend?

Also still waiting to read a comparison between note 4 innovator sde and fov vs Note 5 on consumer, if the new lenses change eye relief, increase sweet spot etc.

So I've messed around with it for a while. It's definitely a step up from Google Cardboard but maybe not the quantum leap I was expecting/hoping for. It's definitely more comfortable than the GC setups I've tried. The material around your eyes/nose is a like a spongey fabric that feels quite nice and the unit itself is very light. I haven't run into the thing overheating or the battery dying on me, probably because I've been using it in short doses with charging and breaks in between.

Setup was painless. Just pop the phone in making sure the micro USB port connects and the software installation begins.

This is what I've tried so far (I've been using an Amazon Fire controller, with no complaints):

Gunjack ($10) - very cool, very pretty shooter. No movement except for your head, but you're in a turret anyway. Blowing up drones and ships is very satisfying.

Adventure Time (free) - excellent 3rd person platformer, run around with Finn and Jake jumping and beating up silly enemies. This is a great test case to show people that VR doesn't need to be in first person to be awesome.

Ocean Rift demo (free) - This is a very pretty scuba simulator, but you don't have very far to move until you hit walls and each animal is sectioned off by menus. The sharks and dolphins are good looking and well animated, I just wish the world was bigger and more interesting to explore.

Netflix (free) - I only started watching Parks and Recreation. It looked better than expected. I don't know how much time I'd spend using it but it's certainly neat.

Questions: does anyone know how to delete software in your library? I've selected the little 'i' in the top corner but I don't see any options.

Bsigg12

Questions: does anyone know how to delete software in your library? I've selected the little 'i' in the top corner but I don't see any options.

You should have a GearVR/Oculus app available if you go to your app tray with the phone out of the headset, it looks like the Oculus logo. In there, you can download and manage GearVR games and apps.

You should have a GearVR app available if you go to your app tray with the phone out of the headset, it looks like the Oculus logo. In there, you can download and manage GearVR games and apps.
Thanks. That's a little poopy that I can't do it from the Gear though. I don't use this phone for anything else so I was hoping never to have to take it out.

Kyne

AT&T looks like they have some in stock via their online store. I've added the link to the OT.

get it while it's there.

Got mine in this afternoon. The VR introduction video is pretty cool. Going to dive in deep on it this weekend with my Note 5 and buy/download a bunch of stuff. It's really impressive.

Kyne

reports coming in that AT&T is also out of stock now. :x

buuuut apparently T-Mobile has them in stock now. Adding to the OP.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm at "Preparing your item for shipping" on my BB order, but they're sold out at this point. Wondering if that means I'm in the clear.

Omega Agent ($10) - very cool flight simulator where you are flying around a city. There are missions but so far all I've done is free flight enjoying the experience and looking for secrets. There is full controller support (left stick flies you in that direction, right stick turns) which makes me think maybe traditional controls aren't going to be as much as a bugbear in VR as some have suggested.

jon_dojah

Banned
Omega Agent ($10) - very cool flight simulator where you are flying around a city. There are missions but so far all I've done is free flight enjoying the experience and looking for secrets. There is full controller support (left stick flies you in that direction, right stick turns) which makes me think maybe traditional controls aren't going to be as much as a bugbear in VR as some have suggested.

There's an option in the settings for 'swivel chair'. From my experience using this greatly reduces any nausea you might get. You can still use the controller to do stuff like turbo boost or shoot weapons. Try it out.

Quick and dirty impressions...video is a lot clearer than I was expecting especially with Note 5, perceived resolution is prob lower than 720 but I can totally see myself watching an entire movie on this, way better than DK2 in terms of sde. Fov is obviously lower but not distractingly so. Oculus Home and the general UI experience with the touch pad is super intuitive. Pretty happy with it overall. Gonna fire up Dead Secret shortly and see how that goes.

This is a bummer, Dead Secret is giving me some sort of weird left eye judder and screen tearing, right eye is smooth. Tested out Colosse and it didn't have that problem. Anyone else try it and have similar problems?

edit: Also in whatever app I'm in I occasionaly keep seeing a thin horizontal black bar appear in the center of the screen, no text or anything. Anyone else get this, know what it is?

Foggy

This is a bummer, Dead Secret is giving me some sort of weird left eye judder and screen tearing, right eye is smooth. Tested out Colosse and it didn't have that problem. Anyone else try it and have similar problems?

edit: Also in whatever app I'm in I occasionaly keep seeing a thin horizontal black bar appear in the center of the screen, no text or anything. Anyone else get this, know what it is?

Sorry, I'm getting nothing like that.

I've been very impressed with visual quality. After being used to the DK1 screen door effect, this thing is like heaven. It shines best in the Netflix room.

Land's End and Eve Gunjack are both fantastic games for the headset. Overall, $99 is a no-brainer if you have a compatible Samsung phone.

Sorry, I'm getting nothing like that.

I've been very impressed with visual quality. After being used to the DK1 screen door effect, this thing is like heaven. It shines best in the Netflix room.

Land's End and Eve Gunjack are both fantastic games for the headset. Overall, $99 is a no-brainer if you have a compatible Samsung phone.

Figured as much, my ps4 controller was causing it, once I disconnected it went away. Bummer cause that was super helpful with turning, can't figure how to do it otherwise with the touch pad.

It really is a fantastic value.

bronk

Banned
I cant seem to get anything looking really clear. Its always slightly blurry. Not sure if its supposed to be like that or i just have crap eyes. It doesnt look real bad its just not crystal clear like i thought it would be. Granted I know nothing i bought this on a whim. Also i have a massive headache now. Motion sickness fucking sucks.

I cant seem to get anything looking really clear. Its always slightly blurry. Not sure if its supposed to be like that or i just have crap eyes. It doesnt look real bad its just not crystal clear like i thought it would be. Granted I know nothing i bought this on a whim. Also i have a massive headache now. Motion sickness fucking sucks.

If only your eyes could have feasted on the sights through a dk1's lenses...

Luckily there will probably be some 4k phones out within the next year or two that make things even crisper for mobile vr.

I don't know if I would be possible but if they could get 3D movies in the Netflix app to work that would be incredible.

Indeed, for some reason I was all optimistic the movies in oculus cinema were free to stream as part of some deal, imagine my disappointment. I hope going forwards Netflix at least considers making a theater environment. The chalet is nice but that theater is something else.

Holy fuck this Social App.

Like.. holy fuck.

The possibilities.

I'm taking a break cause I'm a bit woozy, what sort of interactions can you do in it? I saw some of the creepy avatar faces. Can you talk to others? Was thinking of using my sammy earbuds with the mic attached for it.

edit: I tried it for a bit, its neat but was expecting more than just sit and watch stuff and chat. Hopefully they add some mini games soon.

Top Bottom