• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Gear VR : Consumer Edition Thread: Goodbye, real world.

So, I've only spent a couple of hours with mine, but it's very impressive.

First of all, it is what it is. Namely a way of strapping a phone to your face with good lenses and improved motion detection. As we all know, no positional tracking and while I do miss it, I don't miss being tethered to a PC.

We went over to a friends this evening, and being able to just toss the headset in my back pack with a controller and headphones and drop people into Dreadhalls was great.

So far I've picked up Dreadhalls, Ocean Rift, EVE Gunjack, Dead Secret and Land's End for purchased apps/games whatever, and I've download Milk VR, Oculus Video, Oculus Photos, Netflix, Arcade Beta, Colosse, Titans of Space, Jurassic World Apatosaurus, Next VR and Smash Hit from the free experiences. It's a really impressive launch line up that really makes this feel like a console launch rather than just a peripheral.

The first thing I did was load up Netflix and watch the intro credits to Twin Peaks, because that show is threaded into my DNA. I've tried Dreadhalls (which I had played on PC, although there's a lot of other nasties in this version so there was plenty of new shocks) which is a great horror game, EVE Gunjack (which dropped a few frames here and there but has mightily impressive graphics for a phone game, let alone a VR game) which was good shooty time, some Gauntlet 2 and Sonic 1 in the Rift Arcade (which is the ONLY way to play classic games on a phone, as far as I'm concerned... phone screen be damned), Titans of Space (which is a great relaxing tour of the planets in our solar system and some stars out in space that I've always liked on PC), Jurassic World Apatosaurus which is very pretty if short.

Next VR offered up some 180 degree stereo stuff, which looked pretty good. More impressive was Milk VR which had some really good 3D 360 degree videos, including some short horror things and I was really pleased to see some WWE highlights, which whether you're a fan or not, are definitely worth watching to get a sense of being right by the ring, or right in the crowd by the entrance ramp. Super cool stuff, genuinely.

The Oculus Cinema is a really attractive environment (all the first part environments were really well done).

Having this thing on my head for over an hour solid it was completely comfortable, and I love being able to stay in there and move from experience to experience. I let this thing help me decide which smartphone to buy... and I have zero regrets. I'm taking this every where with me. This is going to get use on my lunch break and all over the place.

Gear VR is legit. Not that we should ever doubt Carmack, but his push for mobile VR was a really smart one, and given how many people will first experience VR this way they have done an absolute bang up job on it. Even with the limitations of no positional tracking... this is going to convince people that VR is here and now and worth getting excited about.

I was fairly skeptical about the Gear VR until a couple of months ago when I heard people with DK2s raving about being untethered and until I saw some game footage on Tested.

It's a real VR platform, with a host of great content and more to come. Graphics are impressive for the hardware. Performance is generally great (only really EVE dropped frames with any regularity). The device is light and comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Fantastic job by Samsung and Oculus. I didn't think mobile VR would be viable for a few years. Carmack knew better and this totally justifies his hiring. I'm going to use this a LOT.

Also, if you get this, at the very least check out the Ocean Rift demo. I think you should drop the $10 on it, not just because one of our own made it, but it's a perfect VR experience. The early PC demo was always one of my favorite Rift demoes, and it's great seeing it fully fleshed out.

Well my phone has 4% battery life... so I'm going to go sleep and let it recharge ready for some more fun tomorrow. I've got a bunch of games I haven't even looked at yet.

Finally got to try out a Felix & Paul video after hearing so much about them, all I can say is wow, the praise is justified. They really are using some next level equipment for their 360 3d camera setup. I tried out Perfect Strangers and got the greatest level of immersion by FAR from a video in VR. Would love to see more stationary intimate setting videos like this, fantastic experience.

Nice write up, plagiarize. I agree on all counts. I'm going to try Dreadhalls tonight.

Also, I tried wearing it over my glasses... And it worked just fine! I was pleasantly surprised. You just have to be a bit more careful putting it on and taking it off.

Zaptruder

Banned
Damn. Quite jelly of you guys right now. Stuck in Australia. Still no word on when we're going to see a release. Hopefully by years end.

I want to be part of the VR launch zeitgeist dangit!

jon_dojah

Banned
Noticing some pretty interesting changes from Innovator's to CV. The depth between outer lense to where it meets the phone's display is shorter. CV is less than an inch. IE is slightly more than an inch. Just looking at both you can see how much deeper the old is. The display goes really close up now but not sure if this actually increases the FOV but after I mess around more with the old and new I should be able to tell for sure. Need to find the right app to compare them.

Edit: I can confirm that the consumer GVR has a slightly bigger FOV than Innovator's Edition using S6. Just comparing the Oculus main page using the symmetrical vertical lines on the big window sills with my view completely centered I can see certain ones I each side clearly. WIth the old one the sills were slightly out of view. Most people may not notice it but I'm pretty happy since any increase is better than none. If only I could get my hands on a Note 5 to compare it to my S6.

Noticing some pretty interesting changes from Innovator's to CV. The depth between outer lense to where it meets the phone's display is shorter. CV is less than an inch. IE is slightly more than an inch. Just looking at both you can see how much deeper the old is. The display goes really close up now but not sure if this actually increases the FOV but after I mess around more with the old and new I should be able to tell for sure. Need to find the right app to compare them.

Edit: I can confirm that the consumer GVR has a slightly bigger FOV than Innovator's Edition using S6. Just comparing the Oculus main page using the symmetrical vertical lines on the big window sills with my view completely centered I can see certain ones I each side clearly. WIth the old one the sills were slightly out of view. Most people may not notice it but I'm pretty happy since any increase is better than none. If only I could get my hands on a Note 5 to compare it to my S6.

I never tried an innovator's edition to compare it to, but I would say the Gear VR feels very close to the DK2's FOV for anyone familiar with that. Also, I had zero nausea issues with this. Without positional tracking, I was worried that playing standing would cause significant problems with games like Dreadhalls, but it didn't. I guess low persistence, higher resolution, reduced weight, etc play a big part there, and I suspect perhaps even lower latency... but I don't have the latency tester to confirm that.

It was perfectly comfortable to go for a few hours. Anyways... back to trying to optimize my WIP VR game to run on this thing...

hohoXD123

Nice write up Plagiarize. Does any one know if GearVR can be used comfortably with glasses?

Not comfortable with glasses, but the focus slider should accommodate most people, unless if the difference in prescription between your eyes is massive. I use -6.5 and -7 lenses plus have astigmatism in one eye, and everything is clear.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As we all know, no positional tracking and while I do miss it, I don't miss being tethered to a PC.

I read the other day that devs strapped a Vive remote to the headset and got full positional tracking using lighthouses and sending the position information wirelessly.

Foggy

Gear VR is legit. Not that we should ever doubt Carmack, but his push for mobile VR was a really smart one, and given how many people will first experience VR this way they have done an absolute bang up job on it. Even with the limitations of no positional tracking... this is going to convince people that VR is here and now and worth getting excited about.

I was fairly skeptical about the Gear VR until a couple of months ago when I heard people with DK2s raving about being untethered and until I saw some game footage on Tested.

It's a real VR platform, with a host of great content and more to come. Graphics are impressive for the hardware. Performance is generally great (only really EVE dropped frames with any regularity). The device is light and comfortable to wear for extended periods.

Fantastic job by Samsung and Oculus. I didn't think mobile VR would be viable for a few years. Carmack knew better and this totally justifies his hiring. I'm going to use this a LOT.

When we talk about true mainstream adoption, this is where it's going to be. Not a console, not a PC, but a phone(or standalone headset). That appears to be the reason for Carmack's desire to be at the ground floor of this and it's already quite amazing what a high-powered phone and smart design can do in regards to mobile VR. I wouldn't be surprised if mobile positional tracking is solved very, very soon. Carmack mentioned he desperately wanted resources to do positional tracking for this, but so many people got pushed to Oculus Touch. Those resources will come, plus OTOY has already figured out how to hack a Vive controller onto a GearVR to create untethered, positionally tracked VR. Good times.

AberLink

Does the consumer version have any distortion around the edges of the lens? The innovator's edition has it and it really bugs me.

If they fixed that in the CE, then it'll be a must buy. I love the Gear VR.

Thanks for the impressions and comparisons, btw.

Edit: The innovator's edition has a blurry distortion around the edges. I notice it most when I'm watching movies in Oculus Cinema.

jon_dojah

Banned
Does the consumer version have any distortion around the edges of the lens? The innovator's edition has it and it really bugs me.

If they fixed that in the CE, then it'll be a must buy. I love the Gear VR.

Thanks for the impressions and comparisons, btw.

Edit: The innovator's edition has a blurry distortion around the edges. I notice it most when I'm watching movies in Oculus Cinema.

Sadly the distortion is still there. The smaller sweet spot from the IE is still there. Super clear when looking at the center and blurry and hard to read text around that area. It never bothered me too much before and still doesn't as I tend to look at everything directly instead of panning my eyes.

Does any one know if GearVR can be used comfortably with glasses?

Whats really cool is glasses work really good with this headset (unlike IE) except that using it causes you to see the edges of the phone. You definitely get the 'looking through scuba goggles' feeling because your FOV decreases this way. But its better to have that option for people who can't wear contact lenses or have substantially different prescriptions on each eye. Luckily the dioptic focus wheel works just as good as the IE's and don't ever need my glasses. But I did use it for awhile with my specs and it was suprisingly comfortable (lenses did not push up against my eyeballs or lashes like on DK1/DK2).

AberLink

Sadly the distortion is still there. The smaller sweet spot from the IE is still there. Super clear when looking at the center and blurry and hard to read text around that area. It never bothered me too much before and still doesn't as I tend to look at everything directly instead of panning my eyes.

Whats really cool is glasses work really good with this headset (unlike IE) except that using it causes you to see the edges of the phone. You definitely get the 'looking through scuba goggles' feeling because your FOV decreases this way. But its better to have that option for people who can't wear contact lenses or have substantially different prescriptions on each eye. Luckily the dioptic focus wheel works just as good as the IE's and don't ever need my glasses. But I did use it for awhile with my specs and it was suprisingly comfortable (lenses did not push up against my eyeballs or lashes like on DK1/DK2).

Oh well, yeah you eventually get used to it and it's no big deal. Thanks for the input, I'll keep the innovator's edition. Good piece of mind!

Kyne

Do Bluetooth headphones generally work well with this? It would be nice to get rid of wires altogether.

I wear glasses with it with no problems.

They do.

Messed around with mine for an extended period of time last night. After all the huss&fuss of trying different things (The Lion King live play is amazing btw, you all should definitely go give it a watch) at the end of the night I found myself lounging around and watching Netflix.

When you think of a phone you think texting, facebook, and neogaf mobile. Now when I think about it I think of a serene place that I can watch shows/movies in the mountains.

jon_dojah

Banned
Do Bluetooth headphones generally work well with this? It would be nice to get rid of wires altogether.

I wear glasses with it with no problems.

After a ton of research back when I got my IE GVR I found these to be the best bluetooth headphones for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2MEH94/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can wire them up whenever your batteries are drained but I think they are good for like 50+ hrs before you need to. The ear parts can be rotated which is cool since I put them in the carrying bag that came with IE along with the headset and Moga Pro pad. Fits perfect all together.

They do.

Messed around with mine for an extended period of time last night. After all the huss&fuss of trying different things (The Lion King live play is amazing btw, you all should definitely go give it a watch) at the end of the night I found myself lounging around and watching Netflix.

When you think of a phone you think texting, facebook, and neogaf mobile. Now when I think about it I think of a serene place that I can watch shows/movies in the mountains.

I was just out running around doing some errands, paying for everything using Samsung Pay and having the cashiers look at me like I'm some kind of wizard. It almost made me want to go back with a Gear VR.

Lands End ($8) - a very nice, serene game by the Monument Valley Team. You wander around islands along waypoints (I would have preferred full control though) and solve puzzles to continue. The sound effects and music are very good, but my main complaint is the frame rate dips more than anything else I've seen on GVR. It's not a deal killer but it is disappointing since the rest of the game is so good.

After a ton of research back when I got my IE GVR I found these to be the best bluetooth headphones for the money:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R2MEH94/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can wire them up whenever your batteries are drained but I think they are good for like 50+ hrs before you need to. The ear parts can be rotated which is cool since I put them in the carrying bag that came with IE along with the headset and Moga Pro pad. Fits perfect all together.
Great, thanks. I'll check those out.

I'm getting nervous that Amazon won't get this to me before Christmas. I pre-ordered through them and they screwed up by apparently having no stock. How is that possible?? Now Best Buy is out of stock too. I need it by Christmas :(

I'm getting nervous that Amazon won't get this to me before Christmas. I pre-ordered through them and they screwed up by apparently having no stock. How is that possible?? Now Best Buy is out of stock too. I need it by Christmas :(

I think the issue is Samsung dropped the ball by not getting them their stock, Amazon certainly could have been better about that communication wise though leading up to yesterday.

I'm having my own issues with them trying to get the moga pro, would get it at a store but have checked all the usual suspects in my area and they don't have any. As cool as the gear is there's some things where I feel like I need a controller, might just power through some of the hiccups I get using a ds4 so I can have basic controller functionality.

Dead Secret is awesome so far. Definitely up there with Land's End as one of the premiere launch games. Apparently it lasts hours (VRFocus review: http://vrfocus.com/archives/book-review/review-dead-secret/ ) and it's very much a 'real' game (detective mystery). It's a bit spooky but not too much. Still I did raise my voice a bit at two points so far!

Yup my favorite by far. We need more devs in the vr space like Robot Invader! They nailed it.

I played the Dreadhalls demo, I hate to say but as a Silent Hill/PT/Amnesia survivor VR horror may actually be too much for me. It is extremely unnerving.

I played the Dreadhalls demo, I hate to say but as a Silent Hill/PT/Amnesia survivor VR horror may actually be too much for me. It is extremely unnerving.

VR horror has made me more susceptible to jump scares, even in regular games. I've even developed this instinctual hesitation to walk through dark spaces in vr games now, and some I've even noped out of demos entirely, just "Not goin in there!" lol. Someone did an homage to The Shining recently for the Oculus DK2 and the equivalent of Room 237 opens up and a ball rolls out. Yeah didn't bother going in the dark room xD

As VR gets better and more realistic I can definitely see some people developing ptsd like effects from certain horror experiences, you can see the potential for high level mind fuckery there for sure.

kungfuian

So, I've only spent a couple of hours with mine, but it's very impressive.

First of all, it is what it is. Namely a way of strapping a phone to your face with good lenses and improved motion detection. As we all know, no positional tracking and while I do miss it, I don't miss being tethered to a PC.

We went over to a friends this evening, and being able to just toss the headset in my back pack with a controller and headphones and drop people into Dreadhalls was great.

So far I've picked up Dreadhalls, Ocean Rift, EVE Gunjack, Dead Secret and Land's End for purchased apps/games whatever, and I've download Milk VR, Oculus Video, Oculus Photos, Netflix, Arcade Beta, Colosse, Titans of Space, Jurassic World Apatosaurus, Next VR and Smash Hit from the free experiences. It's a really impressive launch line up that really makes this feel like a console launch rather than just a peripheral.

The first thing I did was load up Netflix and watch the intro credits to Twin Peaks, because that show is threaded into my DNA. I've tried Dreadhalls (which I had played on PC, although there's a lot of other nasties in this version so there was plenty of new shocks) which is a great horror game, EVE Gunjack (which dropped a few frames here and there but has mightily impressive graphics for a phone game, let alone a VR game) which was good shooty time, some Gauntlet 2 and Sonic 1 in the Rift Arcade (which is the ONLY way to play classic games on a phone, as far as I'm concerned... phone screen be damned), Titans of Space (which is a great relaxing tour of the planets in our solar system and some stars out in space that I've always liked on PC), Jurassic World Apatosaurus which is very pretty if short.

Next VR offered up some 180 degree stereo stuff, which looked pretty good. More impressive was Milk VR which had some really good 3D 360 degree videos, including some short horror things and I was really pleased to see some WWE highlights, which whether you're a fan or not, are definitely worth watching to get a sense of being right by the ring, or right in the crowd by the entrance ramp. Super cool stuff, genuinely.

The Oculus Cinema is a really attractive environment (all the first part environments were really well done).

Having this thing on my head for over an hour solid it was completely comfortable, and I love being able to stay in there and move from experience to experience. I let this thing help me decide which smartphone to buy... and I have zero regrets. I'm taking this every where with me. This is going to get use on my lunch break and all over the place.

Also, if you get this, at the very least check out the Ocean Rift demo. I think you should drop the $10 on it, not just because one of our own made it, but it's a perfect VR experience. The early PC demo was always one of my favorite Rift demoes, and it's great seeing it fully fleshed out.

Well my phone has 4% battery life... so I'm going to go sleep and let it recharge ready for some more fun tomorrow. I've got a bunch of games I haven't even looked at yet.

Thanks for your impressions! This all sounds very promising.

Personally I have yet to try VR but sadly see out of one eye. I am concerned the apps/device natively display in stereoscopic mode, which is a deal breaker for me. Based on your first hand experience is this the case? Does this device work if you close one eye? Or maybe some apps work but not others? If not anyone know where I could try one out prior to upgrading phones and buying?

Thanks

I don't see why not being able to see with one eye would make VR ineffective. Stereoscopic 3D helps sell the immersion but it's the head tracking that does most of the work. All the video content I've seen is not in 3D for example.

I imagine there will be demos in stores once the product becomes more available.

Bsigg12

I can't do VR Horror. It's too much. With good headphones and solid binaural sound, it's terrifying.

Kungfuian, I have one really bad eye, and one really good eye, and VR works great for me (but I do have stereo depth perception... about all my left eye is good for). If you shut one eye it looks the same as if you shut your eye in the world... with one small difference.

You won't get as much depth perception from the subtle movements of your head, so you will likely have worse depth perception that in the real life on the Gear VR. That wouldn't be the case on the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive that do positional tracking as well as rotational.

The biggest draw back is that you're wasting all that processing power drawing a second view, that offers you benefit.

All the video content I've seen is not in 3D for example.
Milk VR has a bunch of stereoscopic 360 degree videos. Just look for the 3D thumbnail on the videos.

I love being scared witless, so VR horror is great for me. There's a sizeable 'thing' in the Gear VR dread halls, much bigger than anything I saw in the PC builds. I walked out a T junction, looked left, then right and it was barreling towards me from the right. I was playing standing up, and I almost fled for real.

edit: I forgot what I came in here for. Namely to share this http://vrjam.devpost.com/submissions

It's the link to the vrjam games. There's some good stuff on there that isn't on Oculus Home yet, like Drift and Double Destruction. Maybe we can get this linked in the OP, or at least a couple of the better entries? I can't recommend Drift enough. It's a really tight piece of game design. You are a bullet, you turn by turning. The touchpad slows time (which drains a meter). You leave a gun, and pilot your way through a scene frozen in time to find your target. You can pick up bonus bullet slo mo on the way, and you'll want to, as it really helps with the sharp turns and for weaving around all the chaos. It's got really nicely stylized graphics and is a perfect 'just one more try' type of game. Play it standing up for added fun! The bullet's movement seems to hide the lack of positional tracking really well.

kungfuian

I don't see why not being able to see with one eye would make VR ineffective. Stereoscopic 3D helps sell the immersion but it's the head tracking that does most of the work. All the video content I've seen is not in 3D for example.

I imagine there will be demos in stores once the product becomes more available.

At least with old 3d displays the image is presented as an unwatchable flickering mess or very blurry mess if viewed from only one eye. Both images are displayed on the screen at the same time and the user has to have polarized glasses and both eyes to see the images as separate (which the brain puts back together as 3d).

I have no idea how the 3d effect is achieved with these devices but if it's the same then that becomes a deal breaker for me. If the 3d is rendered this way it will have to be something that can be turned off.

If the 3d is achieved by presented x2 images separately (one for each side of the screen?) then it would work for me. And even then depending on how each image is displayed it might be a problem (if for example they are displaying only 1/2 the horizontal lines of the intended end image).

kungfuian

Kungfuian, I have one really bad eye, and one really good eye, and VR works great for me (but I do have stereo depth perception... about all my left eye is good for). If you shut one eye it looks the same as if you shut your eye in the world... with one small difference.

You won't get as much depth perception from the subtle movements of your head, so you will likely have worse depth perception that in the real life on the Gear VR. That wouldn't be the case on the Oculus Rift or HTC Vive that do positional tracking as well as rotational.

The biggest draw back is that you're wasting all that processing power drawing a second view, that offers you benefit.

Thanks, very interested to finally try these devices

At least with old 3d displays the image is presented as an unwatchable flickering mess or very blurry mess if viewed from only one eye. Both images are displayed on the screen at the same time and the user has to have polarized glasses and both eyes to see the images as separate (which the brain puts back together as 3d).

I have no idea how the 3d effect is achieved with these devices but if it's the same then that becomes a deal breaker for me. If the 3d is rendered this way it will have to be something that can be turned off.

If the 3d is achieved by presented x2 images separately (one for each side of the screen?) then it would work for me. And even then depending on how each image is displayed it might be a problem (if for example they are displaying only 1/2 the horizontal lines of the intended end image).

3D is rendered view master style. The phone slots in sideways, in landscape orientation. The left side of the phone displays what the left eye sees. The right eye displays what the right eye sees. Each lens in the headset only focusses on the appropriate side, so if you take out your phone it looks like this:

gear-vr-screenshot-cixsurc.jpg

Slap it in the Gear VR and everything looks full scale.

Thanks for your impressions! This all sounds very promising.

Personally I have yet to try VR but sadly see out of one eye. I am concerned the apps/device natively display in stereoscopic mode, which is a deal breaker for me. Based on your first hand experience is this the case? Does this device work if you close one eye? Or maybe some apps work but not others? If not anyone know where I could try one out prior to upgrading phones and buying?

Thanks

Every now and then I'll notice a fleck of dust or something in my vision and close one eye to figure out which it is and everything seems fine. Honestly if you have a compatible phone it's really worth trying.

As someone with glasses and a huge noggin the straps need more length. My eyes are astigmatic and different so the dial only works so-so, and I get a little uncomfortable from my glasses after a while. Obviously the style of glasses will change the impact and it might be enough to drive me back to contacts. VR is still pretty early but I expect a lot of new products to take advantage of various head needs if this takes off, possibly stem-less glasses that fit closer to the eyes or fancier casings. If anyone has Oculus experience I'd be curious if a software layer or something could be built into the drivers that can be fed someone's glasses prescription for better visual correction on each eye.

I played the weird zelda-esque game for a while and didn't have too much of an issue without glasses, though. I gotta say for the limitations this thing is really fucking neat and anyone with an S6 will probably be an instant VR convert with this. Even some of the crummier demos are still pretty cool just for the novelty and it can only get better.

One thing I'd like is a dedicated button for reorientation. The zelda game definitely had a faint, constant shift to the right in perception that required me to keep rotating on the couch until I finally went back into the main menu and recentered.

Don't forget to buy Everyone Keeps Talking! And try the zelda game (it's like hero adventure or something), it's a pretty middling game that for its faults does a really good job of showing the potential for limiting the viewing area of the player and making mundane environments much more interesting.

kungfuian

3D is rendered view master style. The phone slots in sideways, in landscape orientation. The left side of the phone displays what the left eye sees. The right eye displays what the right eye sees. Each lens in the headset only focusses on the appropriate side, so if you take out your phone it looks like this:

gear-vr-screenshot-cixsurc.jpg

Slap it in the Gear VR and everything looks full scale.

Thanks, it looks like it will be at least usable.

But I still wonder about the overall 'effect' and if it will work for me. If you remove the 3dness from it does it still appear like you are in a large room with a big screen, or will it look like I'm just staring really close at a picture of a large room with a big screen.

Bsigg12

Thanks, it looks like it will be at least usable.

But I still wonder about the overall 'effect' and if it will work for me. If you remove the 3dness from it does it still appear like you are in a large room with a big screen, or will it look like I'm just staring really close at a picture of a large room with a big screen.

I feel the head tracking goes a long way of convincing your brain what you're seeing could be real.

Bsigg12

Is the lack of positional tracking an issue?

I wouldn't say it's an issue but just unfortunate it's not there because you do lose some immersion in some of the games.

In regards to your edit, not that I've noticed. The games and experiences, well the good ones, are being built around you either sitting or standing in one place. In the case of Lands End, your movement is based on looking at specific points and you're "blinked" over to them. By eliminating the movement of the player character, i.e. walking, they have been able to create something that doesn't give you motion sickness.

The Adventure Time game makes you a balloon in the game so by having this different perspective in your mind, being just a third person camera for the game doesn't feel strange at all.

newsguy

You guys are making me want this thing. I have a bunch of best buy credit, and this would probably be the best impulse purchase I've ever made, but it's all sold out.

Desperately want my Gear VR from Amazon to arrive. At least they have issued 25% off to me due to the inconvenience. Pretty amazing deal, as long as it arrives by Christmas.

I mean as in, the lack of it increases motion sickness?
Not at all. I mean it would be better with it, like you would be able to lean over to look over a cliff in Lands End which would be neat, but not having it won't make you feel sick.

Yeah, I didn't even know this thing existed two days ago, and I ended up ordering one through Samsung yesterday because of the hype I'm seeing. Probably will have to wait for weeks, but whatever, I'll get it when I get it.

I mean as in, the lack of it increases motion sickness?

It can definitely be frustrating if you're seated, I don't want to stand up or be in full swivel mode for every vr experience so when you're trying to lean and get a look at something it can feel like a strain sometimes, but for the most part it isn't an issue with most titles for Gear.

I mentioned earlier in the thread but there's hope for positional tracking down the road but from the company OTOY's experiments using Valve's Lighthouse tracking. All they have now is a lighthouse controller strapped to a Gear but everyone that's tried it has said it works perfectly. Wireless positionally tracked VR in the next 1-2 years would be amazing. Shit is developing so rapidly in this space, so damn exciting.

edit: Also, can't emphasize enough just how good Dead Secret is, absolutely floored they achieved this on Gear.

Top Bottom