• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Gear VR : Consumer Edition Thread: Goodbye, real world.

It can definitely be frustrating if you're seated, I don't want to stand up or be in full swivel mode for every vr experience so when you're trying to lean and get a look at something it can feel like a strain sometimes, but for the most part it isn't an issue with most titles for Gear.

I mentioned earlier in the thread but there's hope for positional tracking down the road but from the company OTOY's experiments using Valve's Lighthouse tracking. All they have now is a lighthouse controller strapped to a Gear but everyone that's tried it has said it works perfectly. Wireless positionally tracked VR in the next 1-2 years would be amazing. Shit is developing so rapidly in this space, so damn exciting.

edit: Also, can't emphasize enough just how good Dead Secret is, absolutely floored they achieved this on Gear.

While an outside in solution (external sensors sense the position of the headset in a volume) is definitely great for people looking to get a wireless headset working in the near future with positional tracking, we really need to keep our fingers crossed for good inside out tracking (sensors inside the headset figure out where the phone is to do positional tracking).

I've had the Gear VR one night, and it's already allowed people who never tried VR before to get a first taste. Over thanksgiving and next weekend, it'll be dropping on even more people's heads. Just needing a headset, controller and headphones in your bag is so liberating compared to previous efforts to take the DK1 on the road. The DK2... I never even bothered trying because laptops couldn't really do it justice.

I believe Samsung and Carmack are working on it, and I expect it to be on my face in a couple of years. Trust Carmack. He totally proved once again why he's the man by once again focusing on the right thing at the right time.

EDIT oh, and for everyone who hasn't tried the pass through camera yet, do it. It's almost as trippy as putting the headset on without the phone in and with the cover off. almost.

And one final thought... you can tell they under shipped these. This thread isn't exactly jumping.

jaypah

Pass through camera is very useful. I walk around my house like that all the time. Makes me feel like a robot which is dope!

bronk

Banned
If anyone is in the southbay area of California wants mine message me. Unfortunately ive had 2 days worth of massive headaches because i have the worst motion sickness ever. I will say though i thought the thing was pretty damn impressive. Family members were blown away using it. Just need to find a doctor to drill into my head and exterminate this motion sickness before the heavy hitting vrs come out.

ill never be a vr person :'(

While an outside in solution (external sensors sense the position of the headset in a volume) is definitely great for people looking to get a wireless headset working in the near future with positional tracking, we really need to keep our fingers crossed for good inside out tracking (sensors inside the headset figure out where the phone is to do positional tracking).

I've had the Gear VR one night, and it's already allowed people who never tried VR before to get a first taste. Over thanksgiving and next weekend, it'll be dropping on even more people's heads. Just needing a headset, controller and headphones in your bag is so liberating compared to previous efforts to take the DK1 on the road. The DK2... I never even bothered trying because laptops couldn't really do it justice.

I believe Samsung and Carmack are working on it, and I expect it to be on my face in a couple of years. Trust Carmack. He totally proved once again why he's the man by once again focusing on the right thing at the right time.

EDIT oh, and for everyone who hasn't tried the pass through camera yet, do it. It's almost as trippy as putting the headset on without the phone in and with the cover off. almost.

And one final thought... you can tell they under shipped these. This thread isn't exactly jumping.

Inside out is certainly preferred yes, my understanding is that's a holy grail situation currently, I do hope they figure it out soonish.

Tried the pass through yesterday, was indeed trippy, for a second I considered trying to walk to the couch using it but thought better of it, pretty sure without depth I was gonna take a tumble :p

Hopeful things like Project Tango take off so we can have tracking plus approximation of our homes mapped in 3d so we can better navigate without tripping over the cat.

Sammy and Amazon dropped the ball like crazy on shipments, lotta reddit folks shifted their orders to BB yesterday. I bet this thread will be more lively come next week. At least some phone carrier stores are selling them.

If anyone is in the southbay area of California wants mine message me. Unfortunately ive had 2 days worth of massive headaches because i have the worst motion sickness ever. I will say though i thought the thing was pretty damn impressive. Family members were blown away using it. Just need to find a doctor to drill into my head and exterminate this motion sickness before the heavy hitting vrs come out.

I feel your pain, I've been using vr since dk1 and I still get headaches, have one right now actually from playing Dead Secret xD

I'm stubborn and still soldier on though, the tech is just too damn compelling to put down. You may want to give it another few days, limit play sessions to a few minutes each. You might start forming a tolerance to it, its worked for others.

Foggy

I played the Dreadhalls demo, I hate to say but as a Silent Hill/PT/Amnesia survivor VR horror may actually be too much for me. It is extremely unnerving.

Yeah the inherent intensity that VR brings will probably push a lot of designers toward more subtle, atmospheric choices. Or even the simple fact that subtlety in building dread works so much better in VR, it might just take the shackles off of designers who want to create something scary in VR that just wouldn't translate as effectively in a normal game. It's going to be fun in seeing how existing structures are adapted to VR.

Give it another day or two. My first experience with VR was also quease-inducing and that was with the DK1. Positional tracking goes a long way toward alleviating that so stay optimistic once the Vive/Rift options are out there. Also, it helps to be familiar with what makes you nauseous and not doing it. Particularly with a lack of positional tracking, you have to pretend your neck is on a swivel and do everything in your power not to lean in/out or side to side.

Man

I got one of the endings (ending 4 of 5 total) in Dead Secret just now by accident. You receive this one way early. Basically
you chicken out and ditch the story. I thought I was continuing to run away from a threat but I actually left the whole mystery behind
. Seems like you can continue right before doing the choice leading to this ending though.

Another thing: Clearly obvious but something Gear VR enables compared to upcoming VR solutions is simple free movement. Dead Secret and Land's End full on expects you to stand or use a swivel chair. Analog/mouse turn would just make us potentially sick...

Either desktop/console VR needs to become wireless or mobile VR needs to receive positional tracking. It will elevate VR.

edit: Game is great but my head is spinning a bit after use (not sick tho). Land's End didn't have this problem. It's like I'm expecting real-life to lag a bit. Could be that the game has unnoticeable frame-drops (timewarp re-projections). Also it doesn't always move in a straight path (it auto navigates some objects for you) and it does it all in a flat plane.

Furyous

I'm going to ignore the VR Norp discussion forever.

How's netflix performance on this? Is there any way to use a playstation controller? This seems like a great value add for someone with a Samsung smartphone. Is there a common platform all VR headsets use? In other words, are games cross compatible across devices?

I'm going to ignore the VR Norp discussion forever.

How's netflix performance on this? Is there any way to use a playstation controller? This seems like a great value add for someone with a Samsung smartphone. Is there a common platform all VR headsets use? In other words, are games cross compatible across devices?

Netflix works great, on a big screen in a ski chalet environment. Watched Terminator on it, was freakin cool. I've been trying to use my ds4 controller with it and there's horrendous input lag, try and use the right stick for turning in anything that supports it and prepare to take a ride on the spinning teacups (meaning the camera doesn't stop turning). Input lag is improved with an app called bluetooth auto connect but it can give bugs in some apps like screen tearing. You pretty much need a dedicated android controller like the Moga Pro.

Oculus has their own platform and sdk, Valve has theirs which is open source iirc, then there's Sony's, and others I'm forgetting about. So no, games will need to be written with the particular sdk in mind for each one, though from what I've seen some devs have commented porting to other platforms isn't a huge task.

Netflix works great, on a big screen in a ski chalet environment. Watched Terminator on it, was freakin cool. I've been trying to use my ds4 controller with it and there's horrendous input lag, try and use the right stick for turning in anything that supports it and prepare to take a ride on the spinning teacups (meaning the camera doesn't stop turning). Input lag is improved with an app called bluetooth auto connect but it can give bugs in some apps like screen tearing. You pretty much need a dedicated android controller like the Moga Pro.

Oculus has their own platform and sdk, Valve has theirs which is open source iirc, then there's Sony's, and others I'm forgetting about. So no, games will need to be written with the particular sdk in mind for each one, though from what I've seen some devs have commented porting to other platforms isn't a huge task.

If you're using Unity or UE4 it's really easy to target multiple platforms, but if you're going to target Gear VR you'll want to have that in mind all along, because you're dealing with a lot less horsepower.

I got the Moga Pro, and I'm glad I did. It's a lovely controller.

And I'm glad I pre-ordered with Best Buy and they did day one shipping. Sounds like I got lucky. I don't normally order stuff from Best Buy, but something told me not to sleep on this and they were the first place taking orders, so I pulled the trigger.

I've not tried Dead Secret yet... I bought it yesterday. I'm sort of saving it for a good solid run. Right now it's been more fun hoping in and out of all the different things and trying them out.

Dead Silence isn't a game that manufactures jump scares like PT did (brilliantly). There's a few VR things on the rift that do the jump scare thing and I fully understand that it's not going to be for everyone, but personally I love the whole body reaction they give me, usually followed by me breaking out into laughter. I'm hoping something like Affected will make it's way over.

Hmmn, what to play with next... so many choices.

hesido

I'll probably get headaches, not motion sickness probably (because of the convergence / divergence clash I'm a candiate for discomforing eye strain) but give 120hz vr a chance if you've got a Ps4.

If you're using Unity or UE4 it's really easy to target multiple platforms, but if you're going to target Gear VR you'll want to have that in mind all along, because you're dealing with a lot less horsepower.

I got the Moga Pro, and I'm glad I did. It's a lovely controller.

And I'm glad I pre-ordered with Best Buy and they did day one shipping. Sounds like I got lucky. I don't normally order stuff from Best Buy, but something told me not to sleep on this and they were the first place taking orders, so I pulled the trigger.

I've not tried Dead Secret yet... I bought it yesterday. I'm sort of saving it for a good solid run. Right now it's been more fun hoping in and out of all the different things and trying them out.

Dead Silence isn't a game that manufactures jump scares like PT did (brilliantly). There's a few VR things on the rift that do the jump scare thing and I fully understand that it's not going to be for everyone, but personally I love the whole body reaction they give me, usually followed by me breaking out into laughter. I'm hoping something like Affected will make it's way over.

Hmmn, what to play with next... so many choices.

Heh...

Dead-Silence-Gallery-10.jpg

Just had to.

I'm with you on the scares, love that feeling of getting spooked and the body rush that flows through you followed by elation and chuckles. Hope they port one of my favorite horror demos from the dks called The Apparition, really great atmosphere and sound design put into that. One of the biggest sells for it was intermittent lightning strikes that set off dynamic lighting inside this big old house. Not sure if you could get away with that on the gear.

It's gonna be interesting seeing what emerges from the community in the following months, taking me back to the excitement of dk1 days all over again with this platform. Think I'm gonna toy with the sideload vr app for a bit and see what I can put on here. Quake is supposed to be one of the highlights, also a Blade Runner flyby made in a game jam that looks cool. So much to try!

My controller, an Amazon Fire controller, is working great with one exception. Even though it has triggers, all of the Gear VR games only use the bumpers. Is there any way on Android to change the mapping that would carry through to Oculus apps?

jaypah

Hey folks don't forget to try out some VR Jam games. You have to sideload them but there may be some stuff that you like. Drift is my current fav.

Hey folks don't forget to try out some VR Jam games. You have to sideload them but there may be some stuff that you like. Drift is my current fav.

So at Canada's Wonderland this summer, I had the opportunity to do a test run whereby they give you a GearVR (not the most recently released one, the Innovator's version or whatever) and then plop you on a roller coaster. The visuals match the pacing and turns of the coaster, but are a fantasy environment. It was amazing, but the screen door effect was very prevalent during still moments.

My question is, with the newer phones being compatible with this version of GearVR, is the screen door effect minimized? I'm guessing it's not eliminated completely correct? And for those who have tried both (if there are any here,) how does the screen door effect on GearVR compare to say, PSVR, which is the VR headset I'm definitely getting?

jaypah

So at Canada's Wonderland this summer, I had the opportunity to do a test run whereby they give you a GearVR (not the most recently released one, the Innovator's version or whatever) and then plop you on a roller coaster. The visuals match the pacing and turns of the coaster, but are a fantasy environment. It was amazing, but the screen door effect was very prevalent during still moments.

My question is, with the newer phones being compatible with this version of GearVR, is the screen door effect minimized? I'm guessing it's not eliminated completely correct? And for those who have tried both (if there are any here,) how does the screen door effect on GearVR compare to say, PSVR, which is the VR headset I'm definitely getting?

I've read about that ride, it sounds dope! As for SDE it seems better than the DK2 but with a smaller FOV. PSVR should be better than both from impressions and specs.

Bah managed to figure out turning using directional pad on ds4 for dreadhalls, only to soon discover buttons for inventory and lockpicking are borked :/

Ain't no how no way imma go down some pitch black corridors in that game. Seriously confused why my local stores don't carry android controllers, are they really that niche?

jaypah

Bah managed to figure out turning using directional pad on ds4 for dreadhalls, only to soon discover buttons for inventory and lockpicking are borked :/

Ain't no how no way imma go down some pitch black corridors in that game. Seriously confused why my local stores don't carry android controllers, are they really that niche?

I got mine from Gamestop of all places. A Red Samurai controller. Works fine enough though build quality leaves a little to be desired. For casual GearVR use it's fine though.

Hey, I've been playing the heck out of Drift. It's everything. I also tried that Double Destruction one with a friend who can't do VR (so she played on the tablet), and it was exactly like when they played it on Tested and couldn't figure out what the other one was talking about. Skeleton ghosts ate me many times.

"Get the fuel."

"What fuel? Where is it?"

"It's on the bookshelf!"

"There isn't a bookshelf. Does anything happen when I smash all these pots?"

"You're standing right on some fuel, get it!"

"I don't see anything."

Light goes out, and skeleton ghosts eat me.

It was still fun.

jaypah

Hey, I've been playing the heck out of Drift. It's everything. I also tried that Double Destruction one with a friend who can't do VR (so she played on the tablet), and it was exactly like when they played it on Tested and couldn't figure out what the other one was talking about. Skeleton ghosts ate me many times.

"Get the fuel."

"What fuel? Where is it?"

"It's on the bookshelf!"

"There isn't a bookshelf. Does anything happen when I smash all these pots?"

"You're standing right on some fuel, get it!"

"I don't see anything."

Light goes out, and skeleton ghosts eat me.

It was still fun.

Aye, this slipped under my radar! I'm going to have to try it out, thanks for mentioning it plag'

I got mine from Gamestop of all places. A Red Samurai controller. Works fine enough though build quality leaves a little to be desired. For casual GearVR use it's fine though.

No dice on that one either unfortunately. Hopefully moga pro gets here Monday, ordered from Amazon. Gear is pretty amazing but not having a controller at your disposal seriously gimps a lot of what you can do. Sammy really shoulda bundled a controller with it if there's one criticism I have with the release, or at least offered a sku that included one.

jaypah

No dice on that one either unfortunately. Hopefully moga pro gets here Monday, ordered from Amazon. Gear is pretty amazing but not having a controller at your disposal seriously gimps a lot of what you can do. Sammy really shoulda bundled a controller with it if there's one criticism I have with the release, or at least offered a sku that included one.

Funnily enough I think one of the Innovator Editions had a controller bundle. Maybe the first one for the Note 4. Good luck on the Moga, I heard they were pretty good.

Funnily enough I think one of the Innovator Editions had a controller bundle. Maybe the first one for the Note 4. Good luck on the Moga, I heard they were pretty good.

Thx, yeah I thought I read one of the innovators came with the small Samsung controller, I'd kill for one of those dinky things right now :p

I have tried google cardboard made me motion sick. Will all VR be like that for me? I hope not.:(

From what I've read cardboard is a very poor representation of consumer vr, and doesn't offer low persistence which eliminates motion blur, one of the bigger things that causes motion sickness. I def think you should give something like Gear a try at a demo kiosk somewhere or wherever you can get one (maybe not a back alley), I'm sure it'll be a more comfortable experience than cardboard provided.

YuShtink

Heavily considering upgrading my phone tomorrow (i'm due for one) and I think I'm going to make the switch to Android from Iphone. It was my only Apple device anyway, not really an Apple guy or in the Apple "ecosystem" so fuck it.

Looking at picking up an S6 and ordering a Gear VR. I can't resist all of the nice exclusive VR/360 video content it's been getting...

How big are most games/apps for Gear VR so far? Is 64GB going to hold a decent amount of stuff? Should I bite the bullet and go 128?

Sent you a pm yo~

Seems like I'll have to check out Dead Secret. I might have skimmed past it in the store. I still have a toooon of stuff to try out. I am about to test Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes since some friends are coming over tomorrow to play it (already have three manuals printed out). I thought about getting it on Steam to use with my Oculus Rift DK2, but the ease and portability of Gear VR won me over. I know it can be played without a headset, but I might as well get some stuff to try out in virtual reality.

I have been working on a video covering the initial setup process that I uploaded a little bit earlier. Now with that out of the way, I'm going to thoroughly go through everything that's available. John Carmack mentioned that they will have a built-in recording function in the next system update. Hopefully it'll be something that doesn't have a noticeable impact on framerate, either in-game or in the recording. I will try the Recordable app that's on the Google Play Store (and it costs less than what I've earned doing surveys via Google Opinion Rewards!) and follow Road to VR's guide for recording Gear VR footage for now.

YuShtink

Don't be totally discouraged. 90hz with sub-millimeter positional tracking might do the trick, as long as you aren't playing games with a lot of artificial locomotion.

Heavily considering upgrading my phone tomorrow (i'm due for one) and I think I'm going to make the switch to Android from Iphone. It was my only Apple device anyway, not really an Apple guy or in the Apple "ecosystem" so fuck it.

Looking at picking up an S6 and ordering a Gear VR. I can't resist all of the nice exclusive VR/360 video content it's been getting...

How big are most games/apps for Gear VR so far? Is 64GB going to hold a decent amount of stuff? Should I bite the bullet and go 128?

Surprisingly small, the full game Dead Secret only clocks in at a couple hundred megs I believe, and other apps I've downloaded are similar sized, some quite small in size too. Most of the video content is streamed as well, though if you want to buy movies for it obv those will take up a good chunk.

Do the triggers on the Moga Pro work with Gear VR games? Or just the bumpers?

My ds4 trigger works in Quake, but I can't turn :p

Prob not the answer you're looking for, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't, it has good compatibility across most apps from what I've read.

Downloaded a bunch of vr jam stuff, about to dive into Androids Dream. Gotta love sideloading.

The first part of the OP has a typo then. It needs to be fixed :*(

You're right, didn't see that.

Ok, Androids Dream has just rocketed to a place on my goat vr experiences list. Holy hell was that cool. If you wanna wow people with a sense of scale with your gear show em that. Good lord just wanna live in that city it was so immersive. I expect Ridley Scott and Co to cook up some cool vr tie in experiences when the sequel drops. Cyberpunk is prob one of the coolest settings to explore in VR. Can't wait for Technolust to come out for the consumer desktop hmds. Speaking of, gonna try that gear app that dev made called Thought Crimes.

I implore everyone to try Thought Crimes if you haven't done so already

Be sure to scroll to the bottom for the download.

I am stunned Blair Renaud (the dev) was able to get visuals like this on Gear. I haven't played Gunjack yet but this is def the best looking demo I've seen so far. Be sure and go into the database/criminal profile section in the menu and take a look at the character models, photoscanned npcs with excellent animation, each one walks forward towards you and steps back, coming a bit closer each time. Some are downright creepy (the guy in the mask) while others have an uncanny sense of character presence thanks to the great body and facial animations.

Gameplay is you're sitting in a chair in a cramped cyberpunk themed security office, you've got multiple monitors, one of which lets you choose from a list of suspects, another you can select different security feeds at locations around the city to analyze for any criminal activity. It's up to you to determine if any are criminals, and you dispatch drones to apprehend them. Screw up getting the wrong one too many times and you're hit with an emp blast, high scores are displayed on a monitor to your left after a session is complete. It's pretty fun and a great use of touchpad only gameplay. Highly recommended.

Pass through camera is very useful. I walk around my house like that all the time. Makes me feel like a robot which is dope!

Hang on a second. Could I use this to effectively replace my glasses? So instead of wearing specs, I could just walk around with a mobile phone VR headset on all day, LOL!

I wanted to get from best buy because i'm involved with their reward system, but I caved and did the Amazon "we will ship it when we get it" order... I'm really upset I couldn't get it day 1 because I was at work. Just how few of these did they ship out...

Zaptruder

Banned
Hang on a second. Could I use this to effectively replace my glasses? So instead of wearing specs, I could just walk around with a mobile phone VR headset on all day, LOL!

No. You'd be wearing this on top of your glasses.

The lens work by bending light so close to your face in a manner that causes them to be running parallel, mimicking light coming from very distant objects.

If you can't see very distant objects clearly, then you won't see images sent through the headset very clearly without your glasses.

hohoXD123

I've got some bad news...

It isn't with the new one, but you can still buy the innovator edition for note 4 but its twice as much, plus support is already shaky for newer apps and likely will be going forwards.

Have there actually been any developers so far who have said that the Note 4 will not be supported? Land's End was already running on Note 4 before they pulled it and it should be back, while the Gunjack developers said they're working with Qualcomm to get it running on the snapdragon chips.

Have there actually been any developers so far who have said that the Note 4 will not be supported? Land's End was already running on Note 4 before they pulled it and it should be back, while the Gunjack developers said they're working with Qualcomm to get it running on the snapdragon chips.

It's going to depend on how quickly the retail version sells. Right now Note 4 owners are a good chunk of the market, and Note 4 owners are a good percentage of the devs... but that might no longer be the case in a couple of months. It's going to start falling off at a point as the number of Note 4 Innovator editions makes up fewer and fewer percent of the Gear VR market.

That's going to eventually happen to people who are rocking S6 generation phones when the follow up version to this one launches either next year or the year after.

Didn't think Cirque de Soleil stuff would do much for me, Kurios really blew me away. Lots of eye contact moments with the various members of the troupe, definitely good for repeat viewings cause there's so much shit going on across the 180 degree spectrum you're bound to miss things. Was eerie how easy it was for my brain to feel like I was getting my own personal show after awhile, was kind of an overwhelming feeling actually, ecstatic even. I now really see the potential for these kind of best seat in the house 360 videos. Now I just need Thom Yorke to sing in front of me while staring longingly into my eyes :p

Would be great if the sports content could get in on the 3d setups but I'm sure that's hard as hell to pull off for live streaming.

So are Gear VR games/apps are running at 60fps? I already think it's pretty smooth, I can't wait to see what 90 or 120 (reprojected) is going to look like.

YuShtink

Woot, just picked up my S6, now to actually find a Gear VR...

So are they still actually in stock at Tmobile.com? Or am I going to regret ordering from them when I could do Amazon Prime when they get more in stock?

Clydebink

Neo Member
Can you download MilkVR videos without going in to the Gear? I've been queuing a bunch of videos in the app and then going into a game while I wait, it seems like this makes overheating more likely. I'd prefer to select videos from the phone interface anyway.

Also, is there a way to filter the MilkVR search so that I only get 3D content in the results?

Just got an email from Amazon. My Gear VR is set to arrive on Tuesday. Plus they gave me a 25% discount due to the delay (had asked for it in chat). Suuuuuper stoked!! Hopefully some of you will be getting a shipping email soon too.

Top Bottom