• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Ace Combat 7 to be announced at PSX2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aggelos

Air Combat in 1993 .That was the very first game in the franchise and different from Air Combat aka Ace Combat on PS1,

Air Combat 22 in 1995. Totally different from Ace Combat 2 on PS1. The second arcade game was called AC '22 because it ran on Namco's System Super 22 hardware, same hardware that ran Time Crisis, Alpine Racing, Prop Cycle, Tokyo Wars and others.

Ya dude. Awesome games for their time.
In those days, with arcade hardware lacking severely over the constantly upgrading arcade boards, where else could you find such charming visuals?..... Talking about the visuals and the portrayal of the 3D environment, I really don't know if bot Ace Combat 2 & 3 were able to be a match for Air Combat 22.

Air Combat longplay laserdisc - Namco LD - VILL-90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuIDILsKlOM

Air Combat 22 longplay laserdisc - Namco LD - VILL-103
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3s-vPPuGd0

mcz117chief

"mcz117chief" post if you are okey :)
the demon of Razgriz shall rise once more

Still alive, baby.

Amidst the eternal waves of time
From a ripple of change shall the storm rise
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath

The demon soars through dark skies
Fear and death trail its shadow beneath
Until men united wield a hallowed sabre
In final reckoning, the beast is slain

As the demon sleeps, man turns on man
His own blood and madness soon cover the earth
From the depths of despair awaken the Razgriz
Its raven wings ablaze in majestic light

EGOMON

Still alive, baby.

*goosebumps*
Can't wait to soar the sky together again ^_^

Soooo good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bDMUmx9slQ

I need a game that gives me the same kind of feeling by the ending missions, but with great graphics accompanying it.

That gave me the chills. Best game of the series for me,

2:00 minutes in is amazing, then it comes the shitty amercian song at 2:30 and ruins everything.
I never understanded what the fuck was that song doing in the game, you dont hear it anywhere else again apart from the credits.

Disappointed if true.
Was never a fan of any flight or aerial games on console. Loved After Burner Climax though.

What, you are disppointed becuase a game is releasing you clearly not give two fucks about?
After Burner is not even from the same company, so not having an ace combat wouldnt bring after burner to life, or vice versa.

mcz117chief

and do people realy put 6 on the same level as AH?

They are two different games so people should treat them differently. Assault Horizon was never trying to replicate the PS2 era Ace Combat formula, instead it went it's own separate way, something like Yaiba Ninja Gaiden. Assault Horizon is good for what it is, the inclusion of dogfight mode allowed us to have the best Ace Combat pvp multiplayer to date, but alienated people who were looking for their PS2 era Ace Combat fix, but that is their fault for not paying attention when the game was in development (there is even a free demo for people to see if they like this new take).

On the other hand Ace Combat 6 is pretty much a remake of Ace Combat 4 with some gameplay tweaks. So far I enjoyed every single Ace Combat that got released since the PS2 era, but I really can't find any appeal in the PS1 games, they feel completely different and weird, the best Ace Combat game on PS1 is definitely Wing Over 2 since that is basically PS2 era Ace Combat on weaker hardware.

I really hope this game is in Strangereal and not that stupid hybrid Earth from Infinity. I also hope its another silent, unseen, gender neutral protagonist.

mcz117chief

I really hope this game is in Strangereal and not that stupid hybrid Earth from Infinity. I also hope its another silent, unseen, gender neutral protagonist.

Why gender neutral? Should they always address him/her as "it", "hey you" or by his/her rank? I don't find it a problem if they decide on a male protagonist. After all, there really aren't that many female air force pilots. In each Ace Combat we got very few, usually around 2 or 3.

I think Ace Combat 5 did it best, 3 guys and 1 girl. It still shows that the army is mainly a field of work filled with men, but you got a few women in there as well.

Why gender neutral? Should they always address him/her as "it", "hey you" or by his/her rank? I don't find it a problem if they decide on a male protagonist. After all, there really aren't that many female air force pilots. In each Ace Combat we got very few, usually around 2 or 3.

I think Ace Combat 5 did it best, 3 guys and 1 girl. It still shows that the army is mainly a field of work filled with men, but you got a few women in there as well.
They can just address by rank or callsign, like they did most of the time in the previous games. I just don't want a face and voice like in Assault Horizon.

It's a game, a game with giant space guns and laser weapons. Don't try to argue for realism.

mcz117chief

They can just address by rank or callsign, like they did most of the time in the previous games. I just don't want a face and voice like in Assault Horizon.

It's a game, a game with giant space guns and laser weapons. Don't try to argue for realism.

I am not arguing for realism, but not even strangereal is strange enough to have a 50/50 military. It is just something that women are less likely to be built for. I just don't think artificially making sure that there are the same amount of men and women would feel appropriate.

I would like to have a proper character like in Horizon, be it a man or woman, I really don't mind but a faceless, speachless character is a bummer, that is why the best character in the Ace Combat character is definitely not Blaze, Mobius 1 or Galm 1, it is either Pixy, Chopper, Edge or Shamrock, because they actually are characters.

I am not arguing for realism, but not even strangereal is strange enough to have a 50/50 military. It is just something that women are less likely to be built for. I just don't think artificially making sure that there are the same amount of men and women would feel appropriate.

I would like to have a proper character like in Horizon, be it a man or woman, I really don't mind but a faceless, speachless character is a bummer, that is why the best character in the Ace Combat character is definitely not Blaze, Mobius 1 or Galm 1, it is either Pixy, Chopper, Edge or Shamrock, because they actually are characters.
Right, they are, but the point wasn't to have the player character be a charactee, rather a blank slate for you, the player, to step in. It's like giving the protagonist in Fallout 4 a voice. It takes away your agency.

ED Cantu

I agree that they need to return to the silent unseen protagonist, but as far as I remember all the main characters of AC have been referred as males in the games, for example in 5 Nagase says about Blaze "I'll protect his 6 o'clock" or in Zero Pixy says "Oh him? Yeah I knew him" the same goes for Mobius 1 and Garuda 1, although I wouldn't be against a female main character or that they let you decide before starting the game.

Right, they are, but the point wasn't to have the player character be a charactee, rather a blank slate for you, the player, to step in. It's like giving the protagonist in Fallout 4 a voice. It takes away your agency.
Also this, for Ace Combat I like the whole "you are the main character" thing so they just give protagonists a callsign.

mcz117chief

You can, however, create a much better narrative if you character is more proactive rather than just a tool of the player.

Petrae

do people realy put 6 on the same level as AH?

AC6 and Assault Horizon are both disappointing to me, and I rank them both pretty low in the series overall.

Seeing the framerate cut in half from where we had been a generation ago was a serious downer in AC6, and the story/characters didn't do as much for me as AC5/ACZero did. I also don't play AC multiplayer, so the slimmed-down campaign in AC6 in favor of multiplayer resources never sat well with me.

As for Assault Horizon, the new ideas just didn't click with me. Too much focus on in-close DFM, poorly-executed helicopter levels, and game design that felt like it was pulled from H.A.W.X. instead of from Ace Combat made AH a chore to play through.

The PS2 Ace Combat games, in my opinion, were the best in the series, with Ace Combat 2 knocking on the door. We'll see if AC7 is even a thing, but if it is... there's work to be done to get me excited again after a generation of disappointment in Gen7.

This is nice news, I hope they announce something, but even if they do I'm not going to keep up with it or preorder the game. I left all my interest for new games in the series with Assault Horizon when I returned it. I can only pray that's I'll be able to play the PS2 trilogy of awesomeness on my PS4 soon... a man can dream.

ED Cantu

You can, however, create a much better narrative if you character is more proactive rather than just a tool of the player.

Having a real character like Bishop in Assault Horizon didn't really help the narrative in my opinion, you can have a good story with a silent protagonist like the many RPG that have done that before, but I accept that I kinda liked the choices and predetermined responses you could give as Blaze in AC 5, maybe something like that could be a nice middle ground.

mcz117chief

Having a real character like Bishop in Assault Horizon didn't really help the narrative in my opinion, you can have a good story with a silent protagonist like the many RPG that have done that before, but I accept that I kinda liked the choices and predetermined responses you could give as Blaze in AC 5, maybe something like that could be a nice middle ground.

yeah, that worked pretty well.

Randam

AC6 and Assault Horizon are both disappointing to me, and I rank them both pretty low in the series overall.

Seeing the framerate cut in half from where we had been a generation ago was a serious downer in AC6, and the story/characters didn't do as much for me as AC5/ACZero did. I also don't play AC multiplayer, so the slimmed-down campaign in AC6 in favor of multiplayer resources never sat well with me.

AC6 was pretty short wasn't it?

I still liked it.
One of the games, that made me buy an 360.

Salaadin

Still alive, baby.

Fuuuucck. I got chills.

This needs to happen. Classic Ace Combat. Go all out too and bundle in a nice flight stick. I'd buy the shit out of it.

Why? Ace Combat 5 made him a male and even if he didnt say anything the companions treat him as a real tangent character, so he has somewhat a personality.
Ace Combat 4 was gender neutral and I feel it neuters a lot the story telling of that game, you dont care shit for any of the characters that appear flying in that game.

Make the character a male or a female if you want to create a somewhat linear story, but nothing like gender neutral if they are not going the create your own character route with talk choices that create your own personality for the character. If they do that, then gender neutral would be an option (becuase you can really choose beyween male or female), but please, not the simplistic neutral thing with zero personality.

Yep, I think this would be the best route if they go with the silent protagonist. You still know theres a real sotryline with him, even if he doesnt mutter a voiced word.

AmyS

Ya dude. Awesome games for their time.
In those days, with arcade hardware lacking severely over the constantly upgrading arcade boards, where else could you find such charming visuals?..... Talking about the visuals and the portrayal of the 3D environment, I really don't know if bot Ace Combat 2 & 3 were able to be a match for Air Combat 22.

Air Combat longplay laserdisc - Namco LD - VILL-90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuIDILsKlOM

Air Combat 22 longplay laserdisc - Namco LD - VILL-103
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3s-vPPuGd0

I've seen those both before, but I can't watch those now, not available in your country (U.S.)

JhJq8t8.jpg

Fucking YouTube.

Visuals from the AC and AC22 Laser Discs which are just assets from the real-time System 21 and System Super 22 arcade games:

BiCDp7U.jpg

Aggelos

I've seen those both before, but I can't watch those now, not available in your country (U.S.)

JhJq8t8.jpg

Fucking YouTube.

Visuals from the AC and AC22 Laser Discs which are just assets from the real-time System 21 and System Super 22 arcade games:

It's a pity that you can't see those where you are, due to the fact that Youtube has blocked the content.
Nice elaborated pics for the Laser Disc packages. Much appreciated!
I think I've learned a couple of years ago that Namco had released such Laser Discs in the past. The available footage for Air Combat and Air Combat 22 by the various emulators (uploaded on Youtube) left much to be desired, so the real-time gameplay as captured by Namco came to the rescue (while running on the original arcade boards)....
Despite their impressive visuals for their time, Air Combat and Air Combat 22 lacked the necessary depth that the home version brought to us, thus it makes sense that the series disappeared from the arcade scene and continued its life on consoles.

AmyS

It would be great if someone who can view the youtube videos could download them and host them on google drive or something like that. Would be great to watch them again.

Yeah, arcade Air Combat & Air Combat 22 had nice visuals and fun gameplay but lacked the depth needed for console gamerrs, that's obviously why the first Air Combat on PS1 was a new game. Then Ace Combat 2 took it to a whole new level in '97.

AmyS

I love AC5 the best because, I personally like the story the most, its probably got the most missions of any of the games and you fly with 3 other pilots who you select and you get to choose their planes. It makes for amazing replays.

ps2_ac_5_15.jpg

I do like the gameplay in AC6 also. In fact, I do hope that Allied Support and Dynamic Operation System make it into AC7 and get expanded on.

279MHV2.jpg

I love AC5 the best because, I personally like the story the most, its probably got the most missions of any of the games and you fly with 3 other pilots who you select and you get to choose their planes. It makes for amazing replays.

ps2_ac_5_15.jpg

I do like the gameplay in AC6 also. In fact, I do hope that Allied Support and Dynamic Operation System make it into AC7 and get expanded on.

279MHV2.jpg

Agreed on AC5 story and plane selection. I just didn't like the narrative (CGI) as much as 4 (the panels) or Zero (the interviews, my god the visuals were insane)

I didn't like AC6 but loved the visuals. the missiles trails staying in the skies made some really tense and beautiful sceneries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom