• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Direct (3DS Focused) Announced for June 21

JKTrix

I just saw that they're bringing back the Spell of Restoration, which is how you 'saved' your game back in DQ1 and 2 before batteries made them obsolete.

Might also be their sneaky way of allowing 'cross play' with other versions of the game.

Aeana

I just saw that they're bringing back the Spell of Restoration, which is how you 'saved' your game back in DQ1 and 2 before batteries made them obsolete.

Might also be their sneaky way of allowing 'cross play' with other versions of the game.

It is specifically intended to allow cross play.

roos

Didn't expect it, but still had a slimmer of hope that they would mention the Switch version.

Oh well...

I was hoping for the same, but I think I might have an idea why not.

I imagine that Sony probably funded (if only partially) the PS4 version. That contract will most likely include an exclusivity agreement for a bunch of months, specific to that version. Depending on which code the Switch version is based off of (probably PS4) we might have to wait for news on that.

Zedark

I was hoping for the same, but I think I might have an idea why not.

I imagine that Sony probably funded (if only partially) the PS4 version. That contract will most likely include an exclusivity agreement for a bunch of months, specific to that version. Depending on which code the Switch version is based off of (probably PS4) we might have to wait for news on that.

I think an easier explanation is that Square wants to push the double dip mechanism behind the 3ds and PS4 versions (with the save state option) before a Switch version comes and takes the momentum of the same game with shared saves between handheld and console away.

Dunbar

If I can really do cross play between the 3D PS4 version and 2D 3DS version I don't think there's any way I don't buy both versions, that sounds great.

Nibel

It's absolute nuts how good that looked; SE will make so much bank

Also I love how they have a 2D version, a portable 3D version and a stationary HD 3D version - something for everybody from every generation

13ruce

Banned
I think an easier explanation is that Square wants to push the double dip mechanism behind the 3ds and PS4 versions (with the save state option) before a Switch version comes and takes the momentum of the same game with shared saves between handheld and console away.

Pretty much this, i expect Square/Nintendo to show and annouce a Switch direct/footage/release date around the time the PS4 and 3DS version are through their sales weeks/months.

And my guess is all 3 versions will be localised and released in the west. (ps4 big userbase, 3ds big userbase and Switch a building one so it's in all ways positive)

13ruce

Banned
Imo this looks better than the ps4 one it really gives a oldskool like feel but i really want to play through both:p

First playthrough the 3DS one and then the switch or ps4 one and feel like you play a HD remake right after instead of years later.

Sinople

This confirmed my preference for the 3DS version. I think it looks better and the surechigai feature seems enjoyable (and it's significantly cheaper too).
Though it's too bad monsters aren't animated in 2D...

Really hope they end up localising this version. Or that the Switch version is a more detailed version of this. I love the style. Just wish monsters were animated in 2D mode and that it supported stereoscopic 3D.

ryushe

Wouldn't it be crazy if the Switch version could switch between the 3DS' 3D and 2D mode as well had a mode that was essentially the PS4 version?

I'd pay an obscene amount of money if such a version existed.

_Ryo_

Cant watch right now. Could someone please post a summary?

Also how is a saving feature gonna allow crossplay?

unbiasedgamer

Neo Member
On May 27th Horii said Regarding the Switch version

“When the timing comes that we can say something… there are grown-up reasons.”

I think Sony paid for a exclusivity window on console version. Just like Sqare Enix did with Tomb Raider on Xbone . There was no news on the PS4 verison of tomb raider for awhile after the game released. I expect it will be a while till we see the switch version.

zroid

Banned
They could have honestly released two separate games from the 3DS version alone, and I wouldn't have blinked. Looks amazing.

Kanann

On May 27th Horii said Regarding the Switch version

”When the timing comes that we can say something... there are grown-up reasons."

I think Sony paid for a exclusivity window on console version. Just like Sqare Enix did with Tomb Raider on Xbone . There was no news on the PS4 verison of tomb raider for awhile after the game released. I expect it will be a while till we see the switch version.

"Adult reasons" was a Saito's words, Horii didn't allow (begging not) to say anything because he had done PR disaster in France before. LOL (about localize DQVII 3DS)

urfe

Can someone explain the dq1 style? It has to do with surechigai, right?

If you complete the street pass quest mode thing, you can get items which open up worlds to past Dragon Quest games where there are quests to do. The direct showed I, V and IX I think.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Looks great.
Will definitely double dip the Switch and 3DS version if they come over.

The character designs are some of the best in the series, can't wait to hear all about their stories and explore this grand world.

_Ryo_

So, this Spell of Restoration password system, does it keep track of all items you have, all your money, your levels, your spells, your location, and sidequest info? Does it all just convert all this information into a 20 character code? Is it similar to seeding in Mincraft where a specific seed creates specific geometry and the DQ password will just allow you to use this code on any version?

Or will the save be extremely limited?

Wow, it's crazy that they've built the game for like three generations of hardware (Ps2, Famicom, and PS4) with a potential 4th on the way to the Switch if it's reworked heavily or built from the ground up. Did DQ7 and 8 do well? I'd really like to see this localized

zroid

Banned
This version looks charming, I really hope switch is based on this one and not the bland looking (imo) PS4 version.
what's wrong with the ps4 version? (honest q, I haven't been paying attention)

this one certainly looks great but it seems particularly well suited to the 3DS

donny2112

They could have honestly released two separate games from the 3DS version alone, and I wouldn't have blinked. Looks amazing.

For U.S. release:

Dragon Quest XI: Classic Edition (2D)
Dragon Quest XI: Modern Edition (3D)

What have you done!

:lol

rudger

If you complete the street pass quest mode thing, you can get items which open up worlds to past Dragon Quest games where there are quests to do. The direct showed I, V and IX I think.

What?! That sounds nuts. Can't wait for US release. From experience, no release date news means absolutely nothing.

Top Bottom