• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI Direct (3DS Focused) Announced for June 21

Dingens

This version looks charming, I really hope switch is based on this one and not the bland looking (imo) PS4 version.

damn... the 3ds Version in high res would be such a treat...
but somehow I don't see that happenin

what's wrong with the ps4 version? (honest q, I haven't been paying attention)
[...]

nothing wrong per say, but it kinda looks like a ue4 dragon quest fan game to me... kinda lacks a soul (for the lack of a better word)

Kandinsky

what's wrong with the ps4 version? (honest q, I haven't been paying attention)

this one certainly looks great but it seems particularly well suited to the 3DS

It looks really weird to me, the animation needs some serious work as it looks stiff af and because of that the characters look like dolls, plus the cellshading kinda clash with the enviroments, I really dislike the art style as a whole, also the sound/music and the HD graphics don't mesh together.

extralite

So, this Spell of Restoration password system, does it keep track of all items you have, all your money, your levels, your spells, your location, and sidequest info? Does it all just convert all this information into a 20 character code? Is it similar to seeding in Mincraft where a specific seed creates specific geometry and the DQ password will just allow you to use this code on any version?

Or will the save be extremely limited?

It just saves your progress in the story. Level defaults to the recommended one for where you are in the game. Money and items aren't saved either.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Hire hacker to crack it!

Random trivia: it doesn't work like that on 3DS. You can have all the files from a game, but until Nintendo puts up the seed for the game (basically, the "unlock key"), those files are useless.

It's something like a Steam pre-load. Until Steam releases the last couple of files needed for the game to work, the rest of the files are just "inert", protected files that take up space in your hard drive.

Kanann

Random trivia: it doesn't work like that on 3DS. You can have all the files from a game, but until Nintendo puts up the seed for the game (basically, the "unlock key"), those files are useless.

It's something like a Steam pre-load. Until Steam releases the last couple of files needed for the game to work, the rest of the files are just "inert", protected files that take up space in your hard drive.

;~; Thanks, good trivia.

donny2112

It just saves your progress in the story. Level defaults to the recommended one for where you are in the game. Money and items aren't saved either.

Why would they do that? There's more than enough bits to store stuff, if they're willing to make the password long enough. Seems a waste to accept their recommended level and lose all your stuff just to switch platforms. (-_-)

KtSlime

I do sort of wish I actually got street passes...think I got a stranger like once, when I was in college in my dorm.

Ouch, mine fills up about twice a day. If I go to Ikebukuro or Akiba it is full instantly of course. Looking forward to the feature.

extralite

Why would they do that? There's more than enough bits to store stuff, if they're willing to make the password long enough. Seems a waste to accept their recommended level and lose all your stuff just to switch platforms. (-_-)

Their official stance is that it would require too much space, so passwords would get too long. XI certainly does take up more space than the NES games, that much is sure.

But I think they also want to avoid people to exploit this for cheating. A high leveled player's endgame password could be used by anyone if it's put on the internet.

MoonFrog

So the entire game is indeed playable with 2D SNES style graphics, or just part of the game?

Entire game. See both versions at once in the start and then you can swap between the two later on (but no longer are they 1-to-1 and both visible).

Rpgmonkey

Just watched this. Starting to set in that this is out in about a month. :eek:

Didn't play X so it's funny to think I haven't had an opportunity to play an all-new DQ entry since IX came out in Japan eight years ago (then I also realized it's already been eight years since IX...).

Top Bottom