• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Aquaman be Polynesian?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I assumed people wanted his dad to be Polynesian the Atlantians would make no sense.

They stop making sense when they had a whale design and build power armor

jlFIrM6.jpg

I know a girl who's Melanesian, she's hilarious and absolutely hates being in the US lol.
OK... I still think the idea of a Melanesian Aquaman might be cool, there is a sunken continental shelf running from Australia to around Vanuatu. There's even the theory that the native Papuans migrated there prior to the final collapse of the shelf during the last Ice Age.

ReiGun

There is Artemis........and I got nothing

But I just remembered that King Shark was a member of Superboy's squad for the minute
http://i.imgur.com/5OgAlPN.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Bruh, don't get me started.

Where is Etta Candy? Where are the Amazons like Philipus, Io, and Artemis? Where is Nubia? Where are the Kapatelis? Where is every love interest besides Steve Trevor? And if Steve is going to be around, why is he a perpetually underdeveloped character? And the villains....Look, I know they're not the best, but come on. You could at least try. The New 52 has been going on for how long and we've seen not nary a hair on Circe's head. Ares isn't even a villain anymore...and he's dead! Last time I saw Cheetah in a book she jobbed to Green Arrow. Wonder Woman is one of the most powerful beings on Earth and her arch-nemesis lost to Green fucking Arrow. I just....ugh.

....All of that said, all praises to King Shark da gawd.

[quote="Slayven, post: 187222818"]Atlantians aren't even human, there are a race mixed with aliens and magical beings

At least she isn't Barry or Carol[/QUOTE]
I feel like this is bait to go in on Carol, and while I would love to, I don't want problems with Carol stans today.

Johndoey

Banned
Atlantians aren't even human, there are a race mixed with aliens and magical beings

At least she isn't Barry or Carol
Well Carol occasionally has Peter pop in to grant legitimacy.

Where is Etta Candy? Where are the Amazons like Philipus, Io, and Artemis? Where is Nubia? Where are the Kapatelis? Where is every love interest besides Steve Trevor? And if Steve is going to be around, why is he a perpetually underdeveloped character? And the villains....Look, I know they're not the best, but come on. You could at least try. The New 52 has been going on for how long and we've seen not nary a hair on Circe's head. Ares isn't even a villain anymore...and he's dead! Last time I saw Cheetah in a book she jobbed to Green Arrow. Wonder Woman is one of the most powerful beings on Earth and her arch-nemesis lost to Green fucking Arrow. I just....ugh.

I feel like this is bait to go in on Carol, and while I would love to, I don't want problems with Carol stans today.

Did you not love generic rage monster Firstborn.

Frog-fu

Banned
I assumed people wanted his dad to be Polynesian the Atlantians would make no sense.

That's what I was getting at. When you look at Aquaman now, you'd classify him as a white character.

Yes he's Atlantean, and Supes is Kryptonian, and Wonder Woman was an Amazonian (now a goddess) - but they're all still white.

When I ask whether Aquaman should be Polynesian, I don't mean if his Atlantean heritage needs to be changed, I just mean his physical appeareance and human half, and that maybe Atlantean culture borrows more from Polynesian culture.

Slayven

I love that they spend all those panels trying to fight back against everyone who thinks Aquaman sucks... but yeah, despite reading him saying "I don't talk to fish" I'm still pretty sure his only power is talking to fish.

He once had a magic hand he almost douched Superman to death with

Namor did the whole using the ocean as propulsion to get 60ft+ in the air back when his solo was called Submariner. Hell he did it to get to the moon.

OK... I still think the idea of a Melanesian Aquaman might be cool, there is a sunken continental shelf running from Australia to around Vanuatu. There's even the theory that the native Papuans migrated there prior to the final collapse of the shelf during the last Ice Age.

No argument here, I think it would work. I just wanted to mention I knew a Melanesian chick.

Johndoey

Banned
That's what I was getting at. When you look at Aquaman now, you'd classify him as a white character.

Yes he's Atlantean, and Supes is Kryptonian, and Wonder Woman was an Amazonian (now a goddess) - but they're all still white.

When I ask whether Aquaman should be Polynesian, I don't mean if his Atlantean heritage needs to be changed, I just mean his physical appeareance and human half, and that maybe Atlantean culture borrows more from Polynesian culture.

Yeah I actually like the casting and the opportunities it opens up. I could go either way on changing the comics at least right now.

Slayven

Namor did the whole using the ocean as propulsion to get 60ft+ in the air back when his solo was called Submariner. Hell he did it to get to the moon.

No argument here, I think it would work. I just wanted to mention I knew a Melanesian chick.

Dog!!!! I thought I was the only who saw that, dude said "I am out" and used a water main to go to the moon. Shit was crazy

ExVicis

That's the weird thing about all of this like dudes absolutely isn't a particularly strong actor. Great physical presence but I feel like this push is mostly just Got fandom.
I think you're right. Momoa doesn't really do much in that show. He mostly sat around looking menacing and because of the language deal it was actually really hard to tell if he was giving a decent job to the part.

Slayven

I never actually liked Jason Momoa and I found his acting in the Conan movie to be really really bad.

Atlantis right?
Yes
That's the weird thing about all of this like dudes absolutely isn't a particularly strong actor. Great physical presence but I feel like this push is mostly just Got fandom.

Conan was great until he took over, that little kid was raw.

We all know how those GOT actors been killing at the box office. I am so glad he passed on Drax in GOTG.

Circe was recently the villain behind Magog in Superman Wonder Woman, the Finches just brought back Ares and Apollo from the dead, and Cheetah is appearing in the next issue.

Dog!!!! I thought I was the only who saw that, dude said "I am out" and used a water main to go to the moon. Shit was crazy

Namor wasn't fuckin around back in the day. That cemented him as someone not to fuck with. While Aquaman is the Tyga of comics, always holdin Ls.

ReiGun

Did you not love generic rage monster Firstborn.
uQd9k40.gif

What a garbage fucking character. Wasn't even the best villain in Azzarello's run (that goes to Strife and Hera). Then DC had the nerve to try and push him as Diana's arch nemesis. Tch.

Circe was recently the villain behind Magog in Superman Wonder Woman, the Finches just brought back Ares and Apollo from the dead, and Cheetah is appearing in the next issue.
I'd know this if I hadn't dropped literally every WW book besides Sensational Comics.

Slayven

They brought Magog back? Why do they keep going to that well? He was a great one shot villain let it go.

Johndoey

Banned
We can go deeper, rememebr when Magog killed Superman and Doomsday took up the mantle?

1452536-max000214jt.jpg

Having the House of El's symbol on your junk is so disrespectful.
That was hype as hell. Doomsday is such a great character with a rich history and motivations.
Superman was better with a mullet and of course Cyborg Superman was just fantastic.

I think what they might end up going with is having his human dad be some variety of Pacific Islander, and keep Atlantis more or less where people expect it to be. I think it's a great decision and I fully expect Momoa to knock it out of the park.

Making him Polynesian in the comics kind of falls into the "more trouble than it's worth" category. Like, I'd love it if he had always been Polynesian, or if they changed it up for the New 52, because like OP said it's a great connection. But at this point they'd have to do some convoluted reboot nonsense and frankly it's just not worth the headache.

Other points from this thread:

-Kaldur was great, and I'm pretty sure he'll be back as soon as they introduce and Aqualad in the new 52, though they probably won't call him Aqualad because jesus christ who would consent to be called Aqualad?
-Aquaman is, as has been noted, a baller. Man'll talk to the bit of your brain that used to be a fish and give you a stroke. Don't fuck with Aquaman.
-I liked Magog in Johns' JSA.
-Doomsday was cool for a hot minute and then not. Dude has exactly one use in him per reboot, bringing him back after that is automatically a Bad Idea.
-That said, maybe they could retool him somehow. Shit, Prometheus just got his first ever good appearance, so weirder things can clearly happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom