• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios trying to buy 500 Acres; Video Game Park incoming?

Universal Studios is reportedly trying to purchase 474 additional acres for their Orlando property, which would almost double the amount of land they currently have. And this comes just a couple of months after previous rumors involving a third gate themed to video games, which they would need additional land for due to them being mostly landlocked. Beyond Nintendo, previous rumors suggested multiple other properties including Warcraft and Pokemon could come to the park too.

I want to stress 500-acres is a TON of property and essentially confirms some kind of 3rd park is coming. Islands of Advrenture (Universal's 2nd Orlando park) is only 110 acres. Now granted, a lot of that land will likely be used for other hotels and possible other future expansion, but Universal is obviously buying this land for big plans.

And I think a video game-based park would be HUGE. Nothing of this scale has existed before, and it would be a nice compliment to Universal's movie-themed parks.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/universal-orlando-third-park-rumor/#disqus_thread

Anything is possible. It could be a video game park, it could be another movie park. The point being, it could be anything.

We have no real information.

Anything is possible. It could be a video game park, it could be another movie park. The point being, it could be anything.

We have no real information.

We know they're working with Nintendo; previous rumors have Universal is exploring a video game themed park, and now them trying to purchase land would seem to back that up.

ryan299

Third park would be cool, but they need to revamp a lot of stuff they already have. Harry Potter needs to be extended and Nintendo stuff replacing the kids zone is the right move.

We know they're working with Nintendo; previous rumors have Universal is exploring a video game themed park, and now them trying to purchase land would back that up.

I know they made a deal with nintendo, but such deals are fairly common in business. My point is that it could be as you said or it could be something else. So anything is possible.

either ways still cool stuff.

Doing a full-on video game themed park would be cool, divided up into sections like any other themepark's done but having them be Nintendo, Blizzard, etc. That would be rad.

I wonder how likely it really is though.

Third park would be cool, but they need to revamp a lot of stuff they already have. Harry Potter needs to be extended and Nintendo stuff replacing the kids zone is the right move.

Didn't they just complete the 2nd Harry Potter area? They should be fine on Harry Potter for a while. I was just there a couple weeks ago and I'd hate to see the Dr. Seuss area removed,it looked amazing decorated for the holidays.

Chairhome

My "take with a grain of salt" info from a friend of a friend says current plans are only about 14 acres of existing property will be Nintendo stuff, with 2 attractions. This new land info was out of the blue for my informed friend, but it's doubtful it would be dedicated to only games.

I have my ear pretty close to the ground on this kind of stuff because I love the Orlando theme park circuit.

The answer is, yes, all information and rumors suggests Universal is buying more land to construct a third park dedicated to video games. This stuff inevitably turns out to be true, theme park rumors aren't like entertainment rumors.

I have literally never heard a (reliable) theme park rumor that turned out to be false.

Universal Orlando having a third gate after all these years would be huge. Although, what would make the world truly explode is if Disney announced a fifth gate for Disney World.

Didn't they just complete the 2nd Harry Potter area? They should be fine on Harry Potter for a while. I was just there a couple weeks ago and I'd hate to see the Dr. Seuss area removed,it looked amazing decorated for the holidays.

It takes YEARS to build a theme park; they also want to maintain the momentum created by Harry Potter, particularly with Disney opening HUGE lands based on Avatar and Star Wars in the next few years

I have my ear pretty close to the ground on this kind of stuff because I love the Orlando theme park circuit.

The answer is, yes, all information and rumors suggests Universal is buying more land to construct a third park dedicated to video games. This stuff inevitably turns out to be true, theme park rumors aren't like entertainment rumors.

I have literally never heard a (reliable) theme park rumor that turned out to be false.

Yep, where there's smoke, there's fire. And there's a LOT of smoke here

ryan299

They did, but it is by far the most populated parts of the park and it's just a tight area. More rides and a bigger space would be beneficial. I know they're already talking about knocking down Fear Factor and extending HP over to there with another ride.

They should also turn the lost continent into Hp. The area is dead. Turn the Poseidon show into a HP one.

I wonder if the video game park changes their plans for a Nintendo kids zone in Universal. That part of the park really needs a revamp.

They may only be buying this land now so someone else doesn't...Then they would never really be able to expand the way they may want...

I'm a huge Universal Theme Parks fanboy, I love em..But I don't see this Video Game Theme Park rumor being real at all...I personally don't believe it...

Pinky

Banned

It takes YEARS to build a theme park; they also want to maintain the momentum created by Harry Potter, particularly with Disney opening HUGE lands based on Avatar and Star Wars in the next few years

Yep, where there's smoke, there's fire. And there's a LOT of smoke here

Right, so I'd think to drum up excitement they would go a route other than more Harry Potter extensions.

I hope that with whichever route they go they build more real rides and less simulators. I'm not a fan of the Simpson's ride and the latest Harry Potter ride is not better than the first one.

I'm a huge Universal Theme Parks fanboy, I love em..But I don't see this Video Game Theme Park rumor being real at all...I personally don't believe it...

We already know they're working with Nintendo on attractions, but we don't know where they're going. If they want room to have future expansion for Nintendo (and other video game properties), they're going to need a new park.

This isn't like Harry Potter land. Harry Potter is a single property; Nintendo has dozens and will make new ones as long as they exist

mclem

There have been more persistent rumours of their own themed waterpark rather than being directly involved with Wet and Wild, which is some way off the beaten track for people who stay around the Universal area. It's more likely that. Which isn't to say a dedicated park is impossible, of course.

I like The Wizarding World of Harry Potter a lot but I'm still kinda annoyed that it ended up devouring two different segments of the resort. First half of the Lost Continent in IOA and then Jaws/Amity Village in USF.

DuelingDragonsEntrance.jpg

I always miss walking past these badass statues that used to be in front of Dueling Dragons (now Dragon Challenge).

Tagyhag

A video game park by Universal would be awesome, but let's see what comes of it.

Anyways, more content for theme parks is always great.

Universal head been on a building spree. 500 acres is a large plot of land. I imagine mousy of it is for resort hotels (they have a bunch planned) and wouldn't surprise me if some of it is for a third park. They are going for disney hard technology and another park to combat changes at disney Hollywood studios would make sense

thefro

The interesting thing is they actually had 1800 acres of land in this area and Vivendi (which owned Universal at the time) had to sell it because of financial problems. The 500 or so acres are part of this.

There have been more persistent rumours of their own themed waterpark rather than being directly involved with Wet and Wild, which is some way off the beaten track for people who stay around the Universal area. It's more likely that. Which isn't to say a dedicated park is impossible, of course.

They've already announced their own waterpark, called Volcano Bay (opening in 2017) and Wet N Wild is being shut down at the end of 2016.

adj_noun

Disney best get What We Can Use From Marvel/We Own Star Wars world up and running ASAP

I like The Wizarding World of Harry Potter a lot but I'm still kinda annoyed that it ended up devouring two different segments of the resort. First half of the Lost Continent in IOA and then Jaws/Amity Village in USF.

RIP Jaws.

I just hope they do better with their theming and immersion this time. Diagon Alley was a nice progression, but nothing like Disney World. I want to be able to go to Universal and be able to completely forget that the outside world exists, just like I do with Disney.

schaft0620

I don't see any connection with video games here, every time they have to open some new Harry Potter ride they have to close down something cool

ScOULaris

I just hope they do better with their theming and immersion this time. Diagon Alley was a nice progression, but nothing like Disney World. I want to be able to go to Universal and be able to completely forget that the outside world exists, just like I do with Disney.

Wizarding World wasn't that impressive, but I really thought that they knocked it out of the park with Diagon Alley. I found it to be totally immersive.

One problem I feel in that regard is that Universal doesn't nearly have as much space as Walt Disney World does. That resort is basically out in the middle of a giant forest so it's more easier to get immersed there and it's easier for Disney to built new projects. Universal Orlando Resort doesn't have that luxury, and basically everything is crunched together. It'd be incredible to see what they'd be able to do if they had a larger amount of land to work with.

After finally going back to Universal after 12 years to see Harry Potter I think they'd be better served adding to and updating their current parks because the other parts of the parks are dire.

As someone else posted, Universal officially announced a water park a while ago.

But the fact that *those* rumors were confirmed lends further credence to the idea that these latest ones are too

thefro

As someone else posted, Universal officially announced a water park a while ago.

But the fact that *those* rumors were confirmed lends further credence to the idea that these latest ones are too

I wouldn't confuse rumors from theme park insiders with rumors from others who don't ahve a track record.

All we know is that Universal's likely buying the extra land at this point. the "Video Game Park" is a separate rumor that most of the insiders don't seem to buy at this point.

I wouldn't confuse rumors from theme park insiders with rumors from others who don't ahve a track record.

Huh? Many of these rumors have either come from or been elaborated on by established theme park sources. As someone else said above, theme park rumors aren't of your usual entertainment variety.

"Where nothing can possib-lie go wrong. Uh, possibLY go wrong. That's the first thing that's ever gone wrong."

I would go day one to a video game park

Finaj

Did everyone forget Universal is the distributor for Warcraft (2016)?

They'll probably make something for that too.

They do have a partnership with Nintendo. They are probably going to build a Nintendo Park which I will be at Day 1 since I live in Orlando.

Top Bottom