• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios trying to buy 500 Acres; Video Game Park incoming?

It's going to be a Nintendo land within the park, which will otherwise just be a dedicated video game park.

I agree with this...sort of. If they are in fact building an entire park for video games, they'll have enough room that a strict-Nintendo Land wouldn't be necessary. Instead, I suspect there will be several lands of varying sizes for Nintendo's various properties, while leaving room for more down the line

border

A whole park dedicated to videogames seems like way overboard.

I thought they were just going to add a Nintendo World to one of their two current parks.

Why? They have one dedicated to movies, another to novels (sort of), and Disney's had ones dedicated to world cultures, animals, California, and the Sea.

Video Games are a unique avenue for theme parks to explore that is rich with material. Plus Nintendo doesn't really fit the themes of the existing parks anyway

I thought they were just going to add a Nintendo World to one of their two current parks.

Eh, it's a differentiator. Tidy excuse to lump a shitload of new Branded Rides onto Orlando.

DedValve

Banned

Falcon Coaster gonna be the greatest and fastest and highest shit of all time.

Real life splatoon matches.

Metroid ride ala ET the ride.

Luigis haunted mansion.

Mario bumper karts.

Kirby & Yoshi rides for the squeemish and kids.

Idk what they'll do with pikmin but it'll be amazing I'm sure.

Pokepark.

Minigame where hidden pokemon are all over the park and works with that AR game.

Exclusive Amiibos & Amiibo functionality in the park.

And lets not forget the damn gift shops.

Nintendo is going to fucking. Dominate.

I just hope they do better with their theming and immersion this time. Diagon Alley was a nice progression, but nothing like Disney World. I want to be able to go to Universal and be able to completely forget that the outside world exists, just like I do with Disney.

I wish WDW had something as good as Diagon Alley.

adj_noun

Nintendoland!

The food could be great. Something out of Captain N.

I'll take two super mushrooms and a heart container, please.

I'm sure Avatar land will be something to see. Problem is, I don't think very many people care about Avatar as opposed to Potter.

For me it's all about what they end up doing with Star Wars and wishing they could go whole hog on Marvel.

They do; it's called Animal Kingdom; specifically the African section. I've long-contended it's the best themed theme park experience anywhere--including Disney Sea. Even the new market-stuff they've added is exquisite.

But if you're talking about branded properties, The World of Avatar (regardless of your feelings on the movies) looks INSANE

border

Why? They have one dedicated to movies, another to novels (sort of), and Disney's had ones dedicated to world cultures, animals, California, and the Sea.

Most videogame IPs are not as broadly appealing as Universal mainstays like Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, The Simpsons, Marvel superheroes, etc.

I guess it kinda depends on how many IPs they can get lined up, and whether it will cover a large swath of the "family entertainment" market.

I doubt it will be a full video game park, but it's likely that certain Nintendo franchises that don't make it into USF in 2018/2019 will show up here.

sensui-tomo

Exclusive Amiibos & Amiibo functionality in the park.

And lets not forget the damn gift shops.

Nintendo is going to fucking. Dominate.

I would believe this 100% after seeing those wands for the harry potter place. I'd probably buy those amiibos :/

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Universal Orlando having a third gate after all these years would be huge. Although, what would make the world truly explode is if Disney announced a fifth gate for Disney World.

With the crowd levels I've experienced at WDW, a fifth gate probably isn't a terribly bad idea at this point.

Mariolee

I have my ear pretty close to the ground on this kind of stuff because I love the Orlando theme park circuit.

The answer is, yes, all information and rumors suggests Universal is buying more land to construct a third park dedicated to video games. This stuff inevitably turns out to be true, theme park rumors aren't like entertainment rumors.

I have literally never heard a (reliable) theme park rumor that turned out to be false.

Hyped. Disneyworld move out of the way.

Linkified

I have my ear pretty close to the ground on this kind of stuff because I love the Orlando theme park circuit.

The answer is, yes, all information and rumors suggests Universal is buying more land to construct a third park dedicated to video games. This stuff inevitably turns out to be true, theme park rumors aren't like entertainment rumors.

I have literally never heard a (reliable) theme park rumor that turned out to be false.

This is too niche to make a whole theme park out of it. There are some actual theme park insiders on some theme park sites which are stating it won't be a video game theme park.

This is too niche to make a whole theme park out of it. There are some actual theme park insiders on some theme park sites which are stating it won't be a video game theme park.

Video Games aren't niche.

At any rate, do you have a link to one of those posts? I'd like to see what they're saying it is

Quick update that I missed from over the Holidays:

Universal purchase of 450-plus acres is done deal, sources say

A company affiliated with Universal Theme Parks has closed on the purchase of 450-plus acres near the Orange County Convention Center, sources confirmed. The purchase would pave the way for possible expansion of Universal’s theme park empire in Orlando. The property was transferred through a simple quit claim deed on Dec. 18 to an obscure Delaware company.

I really do hope this involves Nintendo...

Universal is using the Nintendo license to breed real life Yoshis and they need space for a Yoshi Ranch. It's the only possible explanation.

krang

I miss the juddery, rusting, creaking old Jaws boat ride, made up for by the enthusiastic and completely sarcastic staff - "ooooh, scary!" :-(

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Huh? Tons of "reliable" sources had the hulk being straight up removed.

Mindlog

They're going to be a Princess Peach castle, just so they can have one like Disney does.
Hogwarts already does that for them.
Now they need to do Epcot.

They will build a giant Traveler.

Happy to hear Universal now has the land to really step up their game. They've done fantastic work squeezing out everything they could from the small footprint the currently occupy. Letting their designers run wild with room to breathe could produce something spectacular.
Such a pain in the ass what they had to do with the screening process. I hope they find a way to better incorporate lockers into the line.

This rumor was inaccurate, but not wrong. Universal has closed and torn down The Incredible Hulk, but only as part of a renovation project. The ride will reopen later this year.

In this case, the rumor was partially correct. And I guess this is what I was talking about: theme park rumors are always mostly true. Some details may be incorrect or information may only be partial, but the information we hear is usually 90% true.

In this case, arbitrary metrics aside, the Hulk rumor was true. There was just more to the story that we didn't know.

Elandyll

Banned
Nintendo?

I think something else might be a lot more likely...

warcraft-movie-logo-june-2016-1920x1080.jpg

My guess, of course.
I think ActiBlizz and Uni have big plans for that franchise...

Nintendo?

I think something else might be a lot more likely...

warcraft-movie-logo-june-2016-1920x1080.jpg

My guess, of course.
I think ActiBlizz and Uni have big plans for that franchise...

Indeed...as I mentioned in the OP :p

Well more specifically, I think a 3rd park dedicated to video games in general would be brilliant and unique

krang

Think about some of the most popular games in the US. Then imagine how shit a CoD theme park would be.

More Nintendo (beyond what's coming in Universal Studios Florida) is basically guaranteed with this park, and we might see Warcraft if the film performs well, though I think that's where the game-related properties will end. Universal will still need to incorporate upcoming franchises like Fantastic Beasts, which I think is highly likely given Potter's existing appeal in Orlando, and Universal's positive relationship with WB. I believe the film studio is also attempting some sort of shared cinematic universe with the classic monsters, which could easily be represented in this park (a Van Helsing attraction was originally planned for Islands of Adventure before Potter was greenlit, IIRC).

Skunkers

I've been checking into the validity of that article, since none of the usual sources for Universal rumors I trust have heard about this.

I had my friend check the MLS and it looks like the land was just sold from the Colony Capital LLC holding company that owned it before to a real estate developer that specializes in developing retail properties like malls and such. I'm trying to connect if this developer has any ties to Universal or if his holdings might actually be a shell company for Universal, but I haven't found anything so far. I'm thinking this rumor is false, and Universal isn't actually involved, but I'm gonna keep digging.

Mindlog

Think about some of the most popular games in the US. Then imagine how shit a CoD theme park would be.
A CoD roller coaster could actually be pretty neat. CoD is all about those big scripted set-pieces and designers would love to spend a lot of money creating them for a ride. The set-piece spectacle is in their DNA.

Hulk meets Disaster.

krang

A CoD roller coaster could actually be pretty neat. CoD is all about those big scripted set-pieces and designers would love to spend a lot of money creating them for a ride. The set-piece spectacle is in their DNA.

Hulk meets Disaster.

No Russian: The 4D Experience

Joking aside, every time I go to Orlando there seems to be a horrible trend towards those sorts of "rides" rather than traditional ones. I feel like a game-oriented park would just be loads of these with one or two 'coasters for good measure.

IIRC this was mostly done as a preliminary thing to try to bully Skyplex out of Orlando.

Not that they won't eventually build a park here. But eventually can be a long ass time in theme park development.

Burt

500 acre Minecraft world

It's just a bunch of painted cardboard boxes

Universal has its best financial year ever

Top Bottom