• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Universal Studios trying to buy 500 Acres; Video Game Park incoming?

Pyrokai

Holy shit. Do you think the Nintendo area will be called Nintendo World, and THIS is the reason for the changes to the New York Nintendo World Store being rebranded as Nintendo NY?!?! : o

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Nintendo?

I think something else might be a lot more likely...

warcraft-movie-logo-june-2016-1920x1080.jpg

My guess, of course.
I think ActiBlizz and Uni have big plans for that franchise...

This suddenly reminded me of that chinese World of Warcraft theme park.

Holy shit. Do you think the Nintendo area will be called Nintendo World, and THIS is the reason for the changes to the New York Nintendo World Store being rebranded as Nintendo NY?!?! : o

Damn, wouldn't that be something?

Edit: It also matches up with how Harry Potter at Universal Studios was branded as "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" or even how Disney World's new Avatar land is called "Pandora–The World of Avatar"

Neiteio

F-Zero Mute City

The world's first multi-track strata coaster, which segues into a gigacoaster, with the Mute City theme pumping out of stereos in the headrest and barking out "YOU GOT BOOST POWER" at the first drop and "IT'S THE FINAL LAP" during the last stretch, and a 300-foot-tall statue of Captain Falcon with shining gold nipples that light up at night.

Also, the vehicle select theme from F-Zero X plays in the queue.

If this news is true, the irony of it all is that this is land Universal used to own, before they were forced to sell it by the park's previous owner: GE.

Hindsight's 20/20

I just hope they do better with their theming and immersion this time. Diagon Alley was a nice progression, but nothing like Disney World. I want to be able to go to Universal and be able to completely forget that the outside world exists, just like I do with Disney.

As far as theming, Disney doesn't have anything like Diagon and it's well known in the circles that they are
Planning on really theming Avatar and Star Wars to finally compete.

So you actually have it backwards.

F-Zero Mute City

The world's first multi-track strata coaster, which segues into a gigacoaster, with the Mute City theme pumping out of stereos in the headrest and barking out "YOU GOT BOOST POWER" at the first drop and "IT'S THE FINAL LAP" during the last stretch, and a 300-foot-tall statue of Captain Falcon with shining gold nipples that light up at night.

Also, the vehicle select theme from F-Zero X plays in the queue.

3O7EcOL.gif

I visited Diagon Alley last Christmas, and it was one of the few times I felt like I was legitimately in another world.

I can't wait for Nintendo Land to be as good, or maybe even better. Universal is serious as fuck about this. An article came out last year saying they actually approached Nintendo with detailed plans before any other negotiations took place, and Miyamoto was also recently said to be very hands-on. Throw in the repeated mentions of theme park integration with the new MyNintendo account, and...!

Both sides are going all in. This shit is going to be legendary.

tolkir

Hype Train Roller Coaster with exclusive announcements.

They tease something to the beginning and finish with the announcement.

Neiteio

I can't wait for Nintendo Land to be as good, or maybe even better. Universal is serious as fuck about this. An article came out last year saying they actually approached Nintendo with detailed plans before any other negotiations took place, and Miyamoto was also recently said to be very hands-on. Throw in the repeated mentions of theme park integration with the new MyNintendo account, and...!

Both sides are going all in. This shit is going to be legendary.
Let's build a treehouse in Nintendo Land and just live there

EDIT: holy shit they could have DK's tree house

Think of the fucking merchandise that the Nintendo park will move. Like sweet fuck that will move tons of money all by itself. Pokemon dolls, Mario memorabilia, "grow them yourself" Pikmin, Style Savvy clothes, DK bongos and banana treats, Princess Zelda/Peach/Lucina tiaras, Star Fox/Metroid blaster toys, Xenoblade mech miniatures, Master Sword/Levin Sword/Falchion/3 Sacred Treasures/Monado replicas, Yoshi eggs, life-size Metroid dolls... the list goes on and on. And I'd buy all of it.

Let's build a treehouse in Nintendo Land and just live there

EDIT: holy shit they could have DK's tree house

With new tracks and remixes composed by David Wise playing in the background. I would die.

Think of the fucking merchandise that the Nintendo park will move. Like sweet fuck that will move tons of money all by itself. Pokemon dolls, Mario memorabilia, "grow them yourself" Pikmin, Style Savvy clothes, DK bongos and banana treats, Princess Zelda/Peach/Lucina tiaras, Star Fox/Metroid blaster toys, Xenoblade mech miniatures, Master Sword/Levin Sword/Falchion/3 Sacred Treasures/Monado replicas, Yoshi eggs, life-size Metroid dolls... the list goes on and on. And I'd buy all of it.

Throw in some exclusive Amiibo and you have a nice chunk of fans by the balls.

Also throw in some exclusive in-game items that can only be obtained by interfacing with something in the park with the upcoming MyNintendo mobile app, and you have everyone by the balls.

I'm at Universal Orlando a LOT, and I never buy merchandise. But I can see myself buying the shit out of whatever is offered at Nintendo Land. I can imagine a lot of people will feel the same way. This thing is going to print money. I'm going to be the guy walking' around with a Mario hat, DK necktie, and a Koopa shell backpack.

Nintendo?

I think something else might be a lot more likely...

warcraft-movie-logo-june-2016-1920x1080.jpg

My guess, of course.
I think ActiBlizz and Uni have big plans for that franchise...
Trust me, with the performance of the last few Legendary productions, Universal is far from having anything other than the keyword 'Warcraft' on a whole list of other ideas till the film actually goes on to be successful.

t hicks

Banned
I couldn't be more excited for this honestly. if universal puts in the same attention to detail as their Harry Potter attractions (which im sure they will) then we are truly in for something special. Glad to be living in Orlando for this lol

Edit: oh sh*t I'm a member now! :D

I'd really like for some of Nintendo's "lesser" series like Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, etc to be represented but I kinda feel like it's going to mainly be the "mainstream" series like Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, yeah.

I couldn't be more excited for this honestly. if universal puts in the same attention to detail as their Harry Potter attractions (which im sure they will) then we are truly in for something special. Glad to be living in Orlando for this lol

Edit: oh sh*t I'm a member now! :D

Early rumors are saying to expect a similar, if not better level of quality compared to Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley. Rumors, I know, but as previously stated theme park rumors generally turn out to be true in some capacity. Regardless, Universal has every reason to go 100% in on this, as it's going to be their big push for family audiences (which is important, as Universal generally skews a bit older with their offerings).

I'd really like for some of Nintendo's "lesser" series like Kid Icarus, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, etc to be represented but I kinda feel like it's going to mainly be the "mainstream" series like Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, yeah.

Mario Kart is the only specific attraction being hinted at by the rumor mill, though I'm sure there will be more. I suppose it's important to not expect too much, since the unfortunate truth is that theme park attractions and lands are complicated, expensive, and take a long time to build. The more obscure franchises probably won't get full-on attractions, though I expect whatever we do get to be mind-blowing all the same.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This rumor was inaccurate, but not wrong. Universal has closed and torn down The Incredible Hulk, but only as part of a renovation project. The ride will reopen later this year.

In this case, the rumor was partially correct. And I guess this is what I was talking about: theme park rumors are always mostly true. Some details may be incorrect or information may only be partial, but the information we hear is usually 90% true.

In this case, arbitrary metrics aside, the Hulk rumor was true. There was just more to the story that we didn't know.

this is FALSE. The rumor that the hulk was being "torn down" didn't ever gain steam until universal announced that they were rebuilding the entire thing over a year ago. Prior to that everyone speculated it would simply be rebranded due to their contract with marvel theme park rights supposedly coming to a close (not happening, at least not any time soon). Once universal came out and announced it would be getting a major facelift, rumors were rampant all over the place, including some very "reputable" theme park insiders saying, a deal had been struck and Disney finally aqcuired the rights to marvel rides in their parks. That rumor as with a million other disney/marvel island related rumors ultimately proved false. So no the rumor was wrong.

I also disagree with the 90% number. We heard years back that fantastic 4 e-ticket was in the works to replace Dr. Doom. We heard that the monorail being wrapped with marvel related properties confirmed a deal had been struck to move marvel rights, and a million other rumors of similar matter. On top of that Urban myths surrounding theme parks are some of the most speculative crazy rumors I've ever heard. There is constant speculation and false information passed along in these cases.

Neiteio

I may or may not have written an incredibly long Word document with ideas for a Nintendo theme park.

It may or may not become a thread at some point.

this is FALSE. The rumor that the hulk was being "torn down" didn't ever gain steam until universal announced that they were rebuilding the entire thing over a year ago. Prior to that everyone speculated it would simply be rebranded due to their contract with marvel theme park rights supposedly coming to a close (not happening, at least not any time soon). Once universal came out and announced it would be getting a major facelift, rumors were rampant all over the place, including some very "reputable" theme park insiders saying, a deal had been struck and Disney finally aqcuired the rights to marvel rides in their parks. That rumor as with a million other disney/marvel island related rumors ultimately proved false. So no the rumor was wrong.

I also disagree with the 90% number. We heard years back that fantastic 4 e-ticket was in the works to replace Dr. Doom. We heard that the monorail being wrapped with marvel related properties confirmed a deal had been struck to move marvel rights, and a million other rumors of similar matter. On top of that Urban myths surrounding theme parks are some of the most speculative crazy rumors I've ever heard. There is constant speculation and false information passed along in these cases.

It's important to ignore everyone who doesn't know how the Marvel deal works :p

AerialAir

Banned
Universal Studios is reportedly trying to purchase 474 additional acres for their Orlando property, which would almost double the amount of land they currently have. And this comes just a couple of months after previous rumors involving a third gate themed to video games, which they would need additional land for due to them being mostly landlocked. Beyond Nintendo, previous rumors suggested multiple other properties including Warcraft and Pokemon could come to the park too.

Well, since Nintendo is probably the major owner of the Pokemon franchise, having a Nintendo themed park, would probably include pokémon regardless of the possibility of other componies' IPs being represented or not.

As someone who used to live near Universal just a few months ago, they are in desperate need of space. They are incredibly limited by their current footprint. Not sure if this purchase should be a 3rd standalone park, but I guess it would make sense. Also not sure if it is a 3rd park, it should be a fully game dedicated one. Not sure how sustainable that is, even with Nintendo as a potential flagship.

But the flexibility is key. Maybe they get this land, make it part videogame land, but also take certain things from the existing parks that make sense. Then they would have room to re-purpose areas in Universal and IOA.

As someone who used to live near Universal just a few months ago, they are in desperate need of space. They are incredibly limited by their current footprint. Not sure if this purchase should be a 3rd standalone park, but I guess it would make sense. Also not sure if it is a 3rd park, it should be a fully game dedicated one. Not sure how sustainable that is, even with Nintendo as a potential flagship.

But the flexibility is key. Maybe they get this land, make it part videogame land, but also take certain things from the existing parks that make sense. Then they would have room to re-purpose areas in Universal and IOA.

There's a pretty big plot of land that runs from behind Kidzone to behind Men in Black in USF. Kidzone is 99% where Nintendo is going, so they can also push into that plot as much as they want if there isn't enough existing space.

Otherwise I agree. After that plot is used, the existing resort is pretty much done.

Top Bottom