• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)

killercow

The company intends to keep making software for the Wii-U

So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.’ Of course we are working on NX and looking at the experiences we can bring to that platform. But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchase Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.”

Nintendo’s “quality of life initiative” is still underway

“Mr. Iwata had, when he previously talked about the quality of life initiative, I believe he had talked about it being related to sleep and fatigue,” says Kimishima. “And the only information I really have now is to say that the quality of life initiative is still under development, and I have no further information to share. It’s just not at the point in development where I feel I can make any announcements at this time.”

NX:

The NX is “a next step in our dedicated device strategy, the core and primary focus of our business.”

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

He definitely won’t be a one-year president

“Also, something I think that maybe was misunderstood previously was, there was talk about me being around for one year. What that was, is the board of directors, as a member of the board, the term is for one year. And at the next shareholders meeting we have to be reconfirmed as board members. That happens on a yearly basis, but there was never any meaning that I would only be president for one year in that conversation.”

http://time.com/4131306/nintendo-kimishima-interview/?xid=homepage

Davey Cakes

He won't necessarily be a short term president. That's good to know.

I love this quote:

That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.

Moving away from those platforms is a big YES from me, as much as I enjoyed them both. Nintendo needs some re-branding.

Fupri

Banned
"That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base."

Good but no unique gimmick nonsense. Just a basic console & controller is fine with me.

ekim

From Nibel on Twitter:
CVTy6iGWsAE62xG.png:large

LordOfChaos

"I can assure you we're not building the next version of Wii or Wii U," Kimishima explained in an interview with Time. "It's something unique and different. It's something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base."

Curious.

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”
Hum... what could this be?

Well he's talking about the NX in comparison to the Wii and the Wii U, not the DS or 3DS. For those "its not a handheld, its the next Nintendo console!" people out there

L Thammy

The "NX info" doesn't really seem meaningful to me. Of course it's going to be different. They can't do the Wii or Wii U again (albeit for different reasons). This is more intriguing:

"People aren’t using Amiibo the way Nintendo intended (yet)"

“A challenge that we’re facing right now is, our earliest goal for the Amiibo was to have these connected to software and have them enhance the play experience for the consumer, and for other consumers to say ‘I see my friend using this Amiibo with that software and it looks great,’ and again increase that attractiveness of that combination. What we’re seeing instead is that the Amiibo are being picked up more as a collection item at this point, rather than, say, as an interactive item with software. And so we haven’t really established them as an enhancement for all of our software at this point.”

I don't deal with change very well sometimes, and this info about the NX leaves me concerned.

I'm sure a lot of people are excited and I'm happy for that, but I really hope the NX will be a success and that we can still play our beloved Nintendo games the way we want.

It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.

Moving away from the Wii and Wii U is great news, but I don't like the "appeal to our consumer base" line. I'd think and hope they'd take the NX as an opportunity to expand beyond their traditional audience. Oh well, we'll see.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I think this seems to suggest that the NX will be a "clean break" from the past and probably won't be Backwards Compatible.

Quality of Life: It will be an Easy Bake Oven with a small propeller on it. There will also be a small FULL COLOR screen (240p) that tells you your mood. Best of all, it runs whisper quiet!

Really looking forward to it, tbh.

The NX: It's a spiraling black hole full of stars. When you look into it, all unknown becomes known. Best of all, it runs whisper quiet!

I don't deal with change very well sometimes, and this info about the NX leaves me concerned.

I'm sure a lot of people are excited and I'm happy for that, but I really hope the NX will be a success and that we can still play our beloved Nintendo games the way we want.

Nope. There will be no more Nintendo games on the NX.

LewieP

He won't necessarily be a short term president. That's good to know.

Were he to be a short term caretaker president, he would not say as much to Time magazine would he?

I'm unconvinced one way or the other, but this statement shouldn't really inform your opinion on the matter.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Doesn't sound like they are going to make a 'traditional' home console like we know it.
I think they realize that it's silly to go head-on and compete against the PS4 and X1 in terms of living room engagement with a platform that is by all means the same.

I think they are going to try and capture lightning in a bottle again with a radically different approach to gaming or digital entertainment. Similar as to how the sheer novelty of the Wii-mote took the world by storm a decade ago.

First time i'm actually interested in seeing this thing now. If only to see what the 'hook' (some will read 'gimmick') will be this time.

Do you think there's a correlation between the NX and the recent mobile announcement from Nintendo? Or are those two things completely different?

Like, is the NX gonna be some sort of hybrid phone?

But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchase Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.
Lies! I've read threads on GAF, nothing will ever be annouced for Wii U again. And anyway, this guys been President of Nintendo for like, 3 days or something, I doubt he knows anything about it. Reggie only reconfirmed Zelda on Wii U to keep us on our toes, like God with the fossil record.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds good. Honest I don't think NX will have BC to the WiiU... And it shouldn't, can't have old system architecture negatively effecting a new system.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good but no unique gimmick nonsense. Just a basic console & controller is fine with me.

Yeah, the way i'm reading this, this is exactly what the man said is not happening.

The Wii-U is as 'traditional' as it gets aside from the pretty marginally-used touchpad in the controller. It didn't really work out.

L Thammy

Maybe it's different than the Wii U in that it isn't so rushed at launch that it freezes every two seconds and is hacked within the week.

DNAbro

So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.’ Of course we are working on NX and looking at the experiences we can bring to that platform. But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchase Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.”

fucking thank you. The amount of people here who say that development should just stop and move everything to NX is ridiculous. I want Zelda Wii U, not just on NX.

khaaan

FOURTH PILLAR CONFIRMED.

To me, all this article has done is add more obscurity to what the NX is actually going to be. I need details Nintendo.

fucking thank you. The amount of people here who say that development should just stop and move everything to NX is ridiculous. I want Zelda Wii U, not just on NX.

It'd be hilarious if it never comes to the NX.

Some people are already lining up for the fictional Zelda NX.

AntMurda

FOURTH PILLAR CONFIRMED.

To me, all this article has done is add more obscurity to what the NX is actually going to be. I need details Nintendo.

Not at all. He is being very clear about moving away from the Wii / Wii U to appeal more to their consumer base. It's not going to be another frankenconsole.

okay, can someone please explain this reference?

The DS was touted as a "third pillar" to Nintendo's console offerings that would not replace the Game Boy Advance.

We all know how that went. It's a joke because the DS was so completely different from Nintendo's other stuff and Nintendo said they weren't abandoning other hardware. But it's obvious that they were going to abandon older hardware immediately or, at least, changed their minds when the DS was a success.

L Thammy

okay, can someone please explain this reference?

I assume it means something beyond video/audio/haptic feedback?

When Nintendo released the DS, they weren't sure it would take, so they didn't advertise it as the successor of the Game Boy line. They called it the "third pillar" at first; console and Game Boy being the first two.

Do we even know what the 3DS' codename stands for? I believe it's called "CTR", and I've seen a lot of speculation what it could be short for, but I don't really see many substantiated answers.

Crash Team Racing.
Seriously though, maybe C for "Cafe" as a counterpart to Wii U, and TR as in DS's NTR (Nitro)?

Top Bottom