• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What if the QoL initiative is a sleep machine, but you can unlock extra features by tapping a Jigglypuff amiibo. They could also add Jiggly in Smash as DLC. LoL

I hope the NX IS a Portable/Console hybrid and is backwards compatible with both 3DS and Wii U.

This interview actually makes me worry that it won't be. :/

The "NX info" doesn't really seem meaningful to me. Of course it's going to be different. They can't do the Wii or Wii U again (albeit for different reasons). This is more intriguing:

"People aren’t using Amiibo the way Nintendo intended (yet)"

surprised they didnt see that coming people love Nintendo merchandise and amiibo make great cheap figurines for collectors and fans to display.

That's factually not true. Wii didn't move away from Gamecube and Wii U didn't move away from Wii U.

Unless it's all just buzzword, I don't see how you move away from something while sharing the games.

You don't really have your facts straight. Retaining backwards compatibility doesn't mean they are homogeneous. Just compare the input devices for those 3 systems to the last three Sony or Microsoft systems and you will see how drastically they shifted.

phanphare

Banned
That's factually not true. Wii didn't move away from Gamecube and Wii U didn't move away from Wii U.

Unless it's all just buzzword, I don't see how you move away from something while sharing the games.

I have no idea what you're talking about, tbh. of course the Wii moved away from the GCN, it was a completely different console! help me out here, seriously. backwards compatibility doesn't mean that one console can't move away from the console that preceded it. the DS certainly moved far away from the GBA yet still played GBA games natively.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

Well, it's pretty difficult for something to move away from itself, no wonder Wii U sells so badly!

I like everything he's saying so far. It's good to hear (not that it was ever in doubt) that Nintendo is still experimenting with brand new concepts and ideas instead of just releasing a me-too console that would inevitably flop.

I didn't say anything about canceling the Wii U version. Though I still think that's possible, albeit less likely after the last Nintendo Direct.

It's really not possible at all. You don't go completely silent on your biggest project for a year, finally mention it once again and confirm it's still a Wii U game....and then cancel that version. It's not happening.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Do you think there's a correlation between the NX and the recent mobile announcement from Nintendo? Or are those two things completely different?

Like, is the NX gonna be some sort of hybrid phone?

The NX is Nintendo's next software platform that will have a mostly unified game library across home and handheld consoles. It's not a phone or a hybrid console. It's like iOS, with iPad, iPhone etc sharing a library.

From Nibel on Twitter:
CVTy6iGWsAE62xG.png:large

I think he meant NX = New Xperience

//DEVIL//

The way he said it won't follow the Wii and the Wii u doesn't give me any hope it's a home console. Aside from the name similarities. Both consoles were different from each other and one is backward compatible with the older version.

The way he talked about it seems it's not even a home console anymore. More like a handheld system that can be plugged to a tv to continue playing your games on it perhaps ? Or maybe VR? But either way sure as hell doesn't sound like a home console and that makes me sad because I adore Nintendo consoles :/

PetrCobra

I hope "walking away from Wii and Wii U" doesn't mean cutting backwards compatibility. My digital games better work on the NX when it comes out.

CHC

Maybe I'm just impatient but I really wish they would stop beating around the bush and tell us what the system actually is already. These answers are so vague that they pretty much tell us nothing.

Riki

Not making another Wii/WiiU means:

Making a console that is easy and fluid to program for with third parties in mind, unlike the two predecessors.​

Focusing on their own Consumer base means:

Building a system and games that would draw in the people that give them the most money (us), and nt focusing on the expanded audience like Wii and WiiU tried.​

So far, all this sounds good to me!

Davey Cakes

Please ditch the wiimote and wii u game pad support for NX.
I stand by my prediction that the NX handheld will serve as the system's "gamepad."

But Wiimote? I don't know. I think it's still a fantastic control option. Nintendo could provide support for wireless sensor bars or something else.

Or they could move to gyro controls instead of IR.

I do wonder how much the NX will incorporate legacy hardware. To be honest, I like all the control options Nintendo provides. You can control Smash Bros. in 8 different ways. You can control Mario Kart in 7 different ways. I also like the idea of not having to buy new controllers if it isn't absolutely essential.

Not making another Wii/WiiU means:

Making a console that is easy and fluid to program for with third parties in mind, unlike the two predecessors.​

Focusing on their own Consumer base means:

Building a system and games that would draw in the people that give them the most money (us), and nt focusing on the expanded audience like Wii and WiiU tried.​

So far, all this sounds good to me!

I can't wait for the third party montage!!!

RaidenXZ

I just want it to be like the jump from the N64 to the Gamecube. I'm over the wii brand completely and wish it never stuck around. Just want Nintendo to go back to releasing systems that truly just improve on the previous iteration in every way, such as NES to SNES to N64 to Gamecube. Just like how PlayStation makes it clear as day it's going to be the next step. And yes, I too enjoy the wii u features and the gamepad and realize it offers something other systems don't (unless we're talking about their streaming features) but I just want it to go back to "this system is for your TV" and "this totally different system is the handheld". I know I'm starting to sound like a cry baby but it pains me to see Nintendo's fumbling around with the wii brand for so many years. Miss the days of trying to be a powerhouse in tech. (I have no problems with their handhelds by the way. Those have been progressive evolutions of tech like their consoles used to be)

Pachimari

This really sounds like a console now, rather than a handheld. I'm convinced it isn't gonna be a hybrid machine. And them moving away from Wii and Wii U is perfect, no matter how much I love those consoles.

I for one am excited about the NX now.

Anth0ny

fucking thank you. The amount of people here who say that development should just stop and move everything to NX is ridiculous. I want Zelda Wii U, not just on NX.

I hate to break it to you, but they always say this at the end of every generation, and every time the new console is released the previous console is abandoned.

Considering Wii U is their greatest failure, they are going to drop that thing as quickly as possible.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Sounds like no BC...? Well hopefully atleast, there's a dedicated controller interface for every game..

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I stand by my prediction that the NX handheld will serve as the system's "gamepad."

But Wiimote? I don't know. I think it's still a fantastic control option. Nintendo could provide support for wireless sensor bars or something else.

Or they could move to gyro controls instead of IR.

The Wiimote will be compatible, that a given. It's just a Bluetooth device and not having it would be cutting off a massive chunk of Nintendo's legacy software. Game pad is more uncertain. Perhaps the NX zoomed controller will have a smaller, cheaper screen.

There is also no way that a handheld console will be the main controller for the home console. That would mean consumers have to buy two machines to play software at home, which would be business suicide. I'm sure the handheld NX can function as a controller for the console but it won't be the default one. NX is about providing a more affordable way to experience the full range of Nintendo software.

phanphare

Banned
The Wiimote will be compatible, that a given. It's just a Bluetooth device and not having it would be cutting off a massive chunk of Nintendo's legacy software. Game pad is more uncertain. Perhaps the NX zoomed controller will have a smaller, cheaper screen.

There is also no way that a handheld console will be the main controller for the home console. That would mean consumers have to buy two machines to play software at home, which would be business suicide. I'm sure the handheld NX can function as a controller for the console but it won't be the default one. NX is about providing a more affordable way to experience the full range of Nintendo software.

it wouldn't be the main controller, it'd just be a bonus for those people who own both

thefro

So at this point:
- The console is going to have a reason for consumers to upgrade to NX over Wii/Wii U (so the NX being cheap with a couple Wii Us duct-taped together minus the gamepad is out)
- Will be unique and different (not just a PS4/XB1 clone)
- System will appeal to Nintendo's consumer base and will give people a reason to upgrade
- Wii U will still be supported (ports of NX portable games?)

cireza

When I see the poor quality of BC on both Wii U and 3DS, I think that they should just ditch it. Who plays the blurry DS games ? Or Wii games on HD TV ? Both look awful compared to their the original ways they were meant to be displayed.

RaidenXZ

I hate to break it to you, but they always say this at the end of every generation, and every time the new console is released the previous console is abandoned.

Considering Wii U is their greatest failure, they are going to drop that thing as quickly as possible.

Kind of want them to move on asap from the wii u. It's not that it's a failure of the system but it pains me in seeing it be such a failure. It had great games (I'm looking at you Smash Bros and Mario Kart) but I rather they just down right move on and bring in the big guns with the NX. I don't even want backwards compatibility anymore to tell the truth and I spent so much money on the wii u too :/

You probably thought they were moving Zelda to the NX.

But yeah, the support for Wii U will be gone when this hits.

When I see the poor quality of BC on both Wii U and 3DS, I think that they should just ditch it. Who plays the blurry DS games ? Or Wii games on HD TV ? Both look awful compared to their the original ways they were meant to be displayed.

Lots of people. I've always thought Wii BC on Wii U was pretty much perfect actually. Played Skyward Sword on a plasma tv w/ it and it was looking pretty much as good as you could expect w/out a Sony CRT or something....

maxcriden

You probably thought they were moving Zelda to the NX.

But yeah, the support for Wii U will be gone when this hits.

Not moving. Just cross-platform. It would be a huge waste of resources not to...unless the game requires the GamePad which seems like it could be a mistake for sales potential, since at this point NX has a heck of a lot more sales potential than Wii U's all-but-guaranteed unfortunately pretty low sales for the game.

Not moving. Just cross-platform. It would be a huge waste of resources not to...unless the game requires the GamePad which seems like it could be a mistake for sales potential, since at this point NX has a heck of a lot more sales potential than Wii U's all-but-guaranteed unfortunately pretty low sales for the game.

Think it will have Off Tv play for Wii U???

phanphare

Banned
Lots of people. I've always thought Wii BC on Wii U was pretty much perfect actually. Played Skyward Sword on a plasma tv w/ it and it was looking pretty much as good as you could expect w/out a Sony CRT or something....

yeah that was a weird post, Wii games look pretty great on Wii U. doesn't the Wii U having HDMI help that?

I agree that DS games are best played on DS though

Code:
“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,”

Nintendo VR confirmed. New Metroid game at launch.

AntMurda

Another map or inventory screen? Hardly a requirement.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
The NX is Nintendo's next software platform that will have a mostly unified game library across home and handheld consoles. It's not a phone or a hybrid console. It's like iOS, with iPad, iPhone etc sharing a library.

That is what I am thinking.

Also like iOS, I imagine that some platforms will have exclusives games not playable on the other.

One of the most interesting revelations of the interview for me was how closely Miyamoto is working with Universal Parks on this real-life Nintendo Land. Also, pretty sure Kimishima used the words "amusement parks" more than he used "NX".

With the purchase of 500 acres of land, this thing is going to be huge. And my childhood dream come true.

Gamecube 2.

Yes please!!!

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

Sniff, sniff. Those words are words of wisdom... BEAUTIFUL!

bachikarn

Nx info is vague. They could just be trying to distance themselves from the Wii U by saying it's a new experience, or it could have some weird gimmick as it's main selling point.

Top Bottom