• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)

Davey Cakes

it wouldn't be the main controller, it'd just be a bonus for those people who own both
Exactly. Just Nintendo taking a page from the book of Sony.

The problem with Wii U is that it REQUIRED an expensive peripheral-like controller. I love the Gamepad and defend its existence to this day, but obviously making a similar controller optional is key for NX. The people who swear by having a screen in their controller will probably be the more dedicated Nintendo fans who would buy an NX handheld (at some point) anyway.

jariw

Not moving. Just cross-platform. It would be a huge waste of resources not to...unless the game requires the GamePad which seems like it could be a mistake for sales potential, since at this point NX has a heck of a lot more sales potential than Wii U's all-but-guaranteed unfortunately pretty low sales for the game.

At this point NX games will sell nothing, since there is no NX owners.

The Wii U OTOH current has four titles around 5 million units, on a console with 10 million hardware units.

Big Nikus

From Nibel on Twitter:
CVTy6iGWsAE62xG.png:large

Nintendo Xtreme.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You don't really have your facts straight. Retaining backwards compatibility doesn't mean they are homogeneous. Just compare the input devices for those 3 systems to the last three Sony or Microsoft systems and you will see how drastically they shifted.

I have no idea what you're talking about, tbh. of course the Wii moved away from the GCN, it was a completely different console! help me out here, seriously. backwards compatibility doesn't mean that one console can't move away from the console that preceded it. the DS certainly moved far away from the GBA yet still played GBA games natively.

I'm not taking only about BC.

You both understand, I hope, that BC on Wii and Wii U was done by integrating the previous architecture into the console. Wii was an evolution of GameCube + a new control method. Wii U was an evolution of Wii + new control method. If NX moves away from Wii and Wii U means at least a different architecture if not a totally different concept, which makes BC a pain in the ass. Which combined with the fact that the market has showed it doesn't care about BC makes it all be an unnecessare pain in the ass.

DizzyCrow

You both understand, I hope, that BC on Wii and Wii U was done by integrating the previous architecture into the console. Wii was an evolution of GameCube + a new control method. Wii U was an evolution of Wii + new control method. If NX moves away from Wii and Wii U means at least a different architecture if not a totally different concept, which makes BC a pain in the ass. Which combined with the fact that the market has showed it doesn't care about BC makes it all be an unnecessare pain in the ass.
Listen to this guy/girl

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.

To be fair, if the NX Console had a powerful modern x86 CPU and strong GPU, they could do software emu quite easily. Same with Nintendo if they tried putting powerful ARM chips in its NX handheld.

So they could try brute forcing it for BC if the hardware is powerful enough, not that they would go for power.

I expected they would be ditching the Wii. At this point, they honestly need to do that. I'm really excited to see what Nintendo pulls out to compete with everyone else, and it's great that it looks like they said they still want to support the Wii U.

phanphare

Banned

I doubt he was referring to the console architecture in an interview with Time and likely referring to this

I'm almost positive when he said

he probably just meant the NX wont use the Wii branding

If NX moves away from Wii and Wii U means at least a different architecture if not a totally different concept, which makes BC a pain in the ass. Which combined with the fact that the market has showed it doesn't care about BC makes it all be an unnecessare pain in the ass.

Yeah, but Nintendo's already given their answer to the challenge of developing a system where software doesn't depend on specific hardware:

Investor Question:

You have already announced your plan to integrate the architectures of your dedicated game systems. Now that you will release your software on smart devices as well, I would like to hear what kind of challenges Nintendo will need to cope with in this regard. May I ask this question to Mr. Takahashi and Mr. Miyamoto from the software perspective and to Mr. Takeda from the hardware perspective?

Genyo Takeda (Senior Managing Director, Technology Fellow):

I understand that, thanks to the evolution of computer technology, aiming to realize a virtualized software development environment that does not depend on specific hardware is becoming the technological norm today. Simultaneously, regarding input and output technologies, I believe that it is also in line with the current technological trend that Nintendo should challenge itself with the creation of a unique user interface.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/151029qa/02.html

And they've already started implementing these kinds of tools:

Nintendo Dev Interface

Our newest gem in the box is the NDI Client. NDI stands for Nintendo Dev Interface, but it’s really going to be your new best friend. The NDI Client will help make sure you have the optimal development environment on your development system — by downloading and installing it all for you! You can tailor it to the platform you’re developing for, the SDK you want, even the region you’re working in. It allows easy download of all the relevant guidelines and documentation you need to do your work. It even allows you to update the firmware of certain development kits.

https://developer.nintendo.com/game-developers

The NDI, by stating it can be tailored to the platform you're developing for, has to be either addressing 3DS-Wii U cross-development, Wii U-NX cross-development, or cross-form-factor development for NX. In any case, Nintendo's demonstrating that they don't see software development as coupled to rigid separation between hardware platforms anymore.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be fair, if the NX Console had a powerful modern x86 CPU and strong GPU, they could do software emu quite easily. Same with Nintendo if they tried putting powerful ARM chips in its NX handheld.

So they could try brute forcing it for BC if the hardware is powerful enough, not that they would go for power.

Of course they could try to emulate it. Last time they did that we ended up with the lovely schedule of VC, looking forward to VC Wii U on NX.

I doubt he was referring to the console architecture in an interview with Time and likely referring to this

That doesn't make any sense in the context of the whole quote. Or it would be a whole lot of empty words for 1 idea.

Yeah, but Nintendo's already given their answer to the challenge of developing a system where software doesn't depend on specific hardware:

And they've already started implementing these kinds of tools:

That's for current in development and future software. That's not BC.

phanphare

Banned
That doesn't make any sense in the context of the whole quote. Or it would be a whole lot of empty words for 1 idea.

in the context of the full quote he's almost assuredly referring to the branding of the console and how that affects the consumer's perception of the product

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

seems to me like he's saying they didn't do enough to differentiate the Wii U from the Wii

maxcriden

Think it will have Off Tv play for Wii U???

Maybe. Probably? But I doubt that keeps it away from NX. Based on all the question marks I assume you're joking. ;)

At this point NX games will sell nothing, since there is no NX owners.

The Wii U OTOH current has four titles around 5 million units, on a console with 10 million hardware units.

Of course. I agree. The game should release on both systems. It will have more sales potential that way, they have to place their bets on the NX now. The Wii U sales will be essentially guaranteed to be okay at best.

Another map or inventory screen? Hardly a requirement.

The occasional Wii U game is massively improved by this or other GamePad-exclusive functionality (thinking of Nintendo Land or Pikmin 3 for example), but when it's a map or inventory screen it's convenient but admittedly not essential.

That's for current in development and future software. That's not BC.

It doesn't have to be purely for current in development and future software. If tools exist that let you reuse 3DS software on Wii U/Wii U software on NX, I can't see why that couldn't be leveraged for BC for software already developed, at the very least like what we're seeing with Xbox 360 compatibility on Xbox One (which isn't really BC, I know).

Mexen

Based on the subtleties of the responses in the interview and all the Prof. Layton and P. Wright games I have played (plus binge watching Detective Conan)... I deduce that the Nintendo Xtra is a tablet.

maxcriden

I always use multiple ones, don't ask why.

My question wasn't really relevant to the topic of the NX, I just wanted to know for myself as I love my Off Tv play.

Oh lol. Gotcha. I like Off-TV play a lot, too. Remains to be seen if it will be a thing for Zelda, but I would be surprised if it wasn't. WWHD had it. :)

jmizzal

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”

This guy gets it, he knows they have to move away from the Wii brand

They need to move back into the Nintendo brand, the name Nintendo is mass market, I would be happy if they just named it Nintendo NX

AdanVC

So this pretty much confirms about NX not being the actual succesors of Wii U/3DS but rather a new product they will add to their current products. How are they gonna support three products once NX launches if they barely can with Wii U and 3DS right now, releasing one game each 4 months or so with nothing in between since there's zero third party support... Worried about that now.

This guy gets it, he knows they have to move away from the Wii brand

They need to move back into the Nintendo brand, the name Nintendo is mass market, I would be happy if they just named it Nintendo NX

Nintendo Revolution.

AntMurda

So this pretty much confirms about NX not being the actual succesors of Wii U/3DS but rather a new product they will add to their current products. How are they gonna support three products once NX launches if they barely can with Wii U and 3DS right now, releasing one game each 4 months or so with nothing in between since there's zero third party support... Worried about that now.

They already have the 2016 games in full production for the Wii U. After that, you may see another Mario Sonic Olympics or Mario Volleyball in 2017. The D tier teams pumping out shovel-ware.

Anth0ny

they wont

its all marketing talk

once nx is released (assuming its both a handheld and console) theyll drop wii u and 3ds like a bad habit

Nintendo's IP are both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness.

The strength part is obvious enough; the weakness is that the perceived value of their hardware is overwhelmingly dependent on how much one values a relative handful of specific first-party IP. They need to invest a lot more in efforts like Splatoon to have any hope of changing that.

It's time (get it? TIME? Ehem...) to give this sucker the most pessimistic spin I possibly can!

Making “Nintendo Account” and “My Nintendo” work well is his number one goal with regards to the company’s mobile strategy

I'm getting really sick of Nintendo and it's convoluted approach to account systems. Now we have Nintendo Network ID, Nintendo Account, My Nintendo, not to mention things like Miiverse. I do not understand the relationship between all these things, and I'm an enthusiast who posts on NeoGAF. How the hell does Nintendo expect the average consumer (or eight-year-old or soccer mom) to understand this shit? I'm sure if someone painstakingly explained to me the exact relationships between all these services and Nintendo's future plans for them, I could understand it. But that's exactly the problem: you have to actually study this shit to even understand which of Nintendo's myriad services you're even signing up for/signed up for/linked together/signed into on your console/downloaded onto your phone. Come on. How about one damn account system, with one name and one login, with everything painlessly integrated together?

But Kimishima admits the company hasn’t done a great job of explaining Miitomo

Maybe you can't explain Miitomo in a way that makes it sound compelling, because it's just not that compelling? So I can see my friends' answers to some simple, clean, boring questions. Okay? We've been doing this with Facebook tagging posts for ages, not to mention college students doing an actually entertaining version of this every time they play "Never Have I Ever" or "One Time I Did in Fact." Why would I care about this?

He acknowledges the Wii U’s problems, but says the company intends to keep making software for the console

More software like Mario Tennis Ultra Smash and Animal Fucking Crossing: Fucking Amiibo Festival? You can keep them. If all you're gonna do to spice up my cornflakes is piss in them, then don't even bother trying.

People aren’t using Amiibo the way Nintendo intended (yet)

“A challenge that we’re facing right now is, our earliest goal for the Amiibo was to have these connected to software and have them enhance the play experience for the consumer, and for other consumers to say ‘I see my friend using this Amiibo with that software and it looks great,’ and again increase that attractiveness of that combination. What we’re seeing instead is that the Amiibo are being picked up more as a collection item at this point, rather than, say, as an interactive item with software. And so we haven’t really established them as an enhancement for all of our software at this point.”

"We haven't locked enough gameplay features behind our expensive plastic toys yet! That's what's wrong with them!" Fuck off.

Nintendo’s “quality of life initiative” is still underway

“Mr. Iwata had, when he previously talked about the quality of life initiative, I believe he had talked about it being related to sleep and fatigue,” says Kimishima. “And the only information I really have now is to say that the quality of life initiative is still under development, and I have no further information to share. It’s just not at the point in development where I feel I can make any announcements at this time.”

"Quality of Life sounded like a good buzzword to make our shareholders less angry, but we were 5 years late to the game, everyone already owns a FitBit, no one gave a shit about our sleep monitor, and we really have no idea what we're gonna make."

And he says NX is definitely a departure from the Wii and Wii U

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

This doesn't necessarily mean that the NX isn't backwards compatible. It could mean that the NX is built around a brand new gimmick (but they'll probably still incur the expense of shoehorning in backwards compatibility with obsolete Power PC architecture, because hey, who needs to keep architecture up to date and prices down?)

I dunno why this interview made me so vitriolic. Damn. I guess I just want to see something from Nintendo. We haven't had a genuinely exciting announcement from them since... when? Before E3, certainly. Still no real info on the NX, no interesting footage of Zelda Wii U, not even a confirmation that they're gonna abandon the absolutely contemptible, disgusting, sleazy anti-consumer practice of region-locking their consoles.

Lies! I've read threads on GAF, nothing will ever be annouced for Wii U again. And anyway, this guys been President of Nintendo for like, 3 days or something, I doubt he knows anything about it. Reggie only reconfirmed Zelda on Wii U to keep us on our toes, like God with the fossil record.

I laughed out loud at this

I basically took this as a confirmation that, yet again, there's going to be some gimmick to the console.

Anything innovative, outside of the norm, or unique is not a gimmick. Gimmick by definition has a negative connotation. Maybe any of those three things are negative to you, but that term is used way too loosely in my opinion.

Will the NX have a differentiator? 100% yes. Will it be a gimmick? We have yet to find out.

Banned
Doesn't sound like they are going to make a 'traditional' home console like we know it.
I think they realize that it's silly to go head-on and compete against the PS4 and X1 in terms of living room engagement with a platform that is by all means the same.

I think they are going to try and capture lightning in a bottle again with a radically different approach to gaming or digital entertainment. Similar as to how the sheer novelty of the Wii-mote took the world by storm a decade ago.

First time i'm actually interested in seeing this thing now. If only to see what the 'hook' (some will read 'gimmick') will be this time.
Funny. When he said they weren't making successors to the Wii U and Wii I assumed that meant "not going for cheap hardware with gimmicks" anymore. So the NX will be the opposite.

marmoka

Banned
NX not having backwards compatibility is fine for me. That would make the console more expensive. And I already have a Wii U, I won't be affected unless my console breaks down.

I hope they announce the system soon. Many of us have lots of curiosity of what that system is, so "new" and "different" according to them.

Josh7289

Seems like a good interview. I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks for sharing, and for those highlights in the OP too!

Pif

Banned
If it is not a casual machine, and they are obviously not going against Sony, I wonder what the hell do they think they have up their sleeves that is so unique. My phone and tablet already act like hybrid platforms with certain software so I think that's a gimmick we could rule out as the main lure.

Apart and of VR I really can't come up with anything else that Nintendo could be pioneering.

Banned
I hope "walking away from Wii and Wii U" doesn't mean cutting backwards compatibility. My digital games better work on the NX when it comes out.
3vKJqc7.gif

Not if they're ditching the PowerPC architecture which they most assuredly will. You'll get Remasters of some big Wii U and 3DS games though.

Neoxon

Does this throw a wrench in the "shared platform" theory with the NX Platform being equated to the Wii & Wii U with no mention of the 3DS?

Kaisos

Not if they're ditching the PowerPC architecture which they most assuredly will. You'll get Remasters of some big Wii U and 3DS games though.

If there's anything less consumer-friendly than region locking, it's having to buy the same games a year or two later. Death to remasters.

fhqwhgads

Really glad to get some confirmation that the Wii U is still getting plenty support. It would be foolish to repeat the mistake of the Wii and leave it to die in the run up to the next console. Plus the Amiibo quote is also good, sounds like they're looking into making them more worthwhile since right now it does feel like their usage in games has been getting stale.

Anth0ny

Really glad to get some confirmation that the Wii U is still getting plenty support. It would be foolish to repeat the mistake of the Wii and leave it to die in the run up to the next console. Plus the Amiibo quote is also good, sounds like they're looking into making them more worthwhile since right now it does feel like their usage in games has been getting stale.

looking at their 2016 lineup and assuming NX launches in November 2016, it looks like they wont be making that mistake. which is great.

but as soon as NX drops they will abandon the hell out of Wii U, that I am sure of.

AdanVC

They already have the 2016 games in full production for the Wii U. After that, you may see another Mario Sonic Olympics or Mario Volleyball in 2017. The D tier teams pumping out shovel-ware.

Jesuschrist if they are gonna do that, they should stop releasing games for Wii U then! Just imagine, a new game for Wii U each 4 months or so and it's nothing but 1st party shovelware ala Animal Crossing amiibo party festival and stuff...

they wont

its all marketing talk

once nx is released (assuming its both a handheld and console) theyll drop wii u and 3ds like a bad habit

I hope so because 3DS is starting to fade away due to the nature of it's life cycle wich is running out and Wii U will never be relevant outside of Nintendo fans... I guess they will apply what they did with Wii on it's last years where they just released 1 or 2 games through the whole year until Wii U arrived D:

Top Bottom