• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Do we even know what the 3DS' codename stands for? I believe it's called "CTR", and I've seen a lot of speculation what it could be short for, but I don't really see many substantiated answers.
It obviously stands for Crash Team Racing.

Occam

X often is a designation used for prototypes, meaning experimental.
I assume NX was short for Nintendo Experimental.
Of course it could also mean Next, or New Experience...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, weird "NX is a handheld" people need to stop being weird.

3DS will be 5 years old next March, and sales slowed down everywhere. The successor is coming next year, 1st quarter 2017 at latest.

Also, going by the family of console's theory, NX is BOTH a handheld and a home console in the end :p

[Edit] beaten :p

When the DS was announced, it was stated to be a 'third pillar' of console from Nintendo, ie to compliment the GameCube and Gameboy Advanced. They were hedging their bets in case the DS failed, of course, in the end it replaced the GBA.

akileese

Am I the only one who noticed how much more personable he looks just by having significantly smaller glasses and a business casual look?

He's saying all the right things about the Wii U though. You want to build up the NX but also not slap your existing user base in the face.

ffdgh

So...this more or less confirms they're not using the wii name in any shape or form for the new console? Cool.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So NX the main points I take from this interview is that NX is seen mainly as a console (seeing the comparison with Wii and Wii U), the it will be "unique and different" which practically means no BC compatibility and not a traditional console either and that Nintendo thinks that they didn't lock enough software behind amiibo.

Do we even know what the 3DS' codename stands for? I believe it's called "CTR", and I've seen a lot of speculation what it could be short for, but I don't really see many substantiated answers.

I'm pretty sure NX stands for "Nintendo X", as in, Nintendo Cross, because the devices focuses heavily on share architecture and software. The whole concept is cross-development and cross-device implementation of technology and a ubiquitous user experience.

No idea about the DS though.

AntMurda

My article summary

- QoL platform is still alive. Development on products is underway but no announcement
- Nintendo wants to use mobile, merchandizing, and theme parks to introduce and familiarize Nintendo IPs to a wide variety of user.
- Miyamoto has a different role now, working on the theme park and bigger picture at Nintendo.
- New generation of Nintendo developers now leading the forefront. (Koizumi and Konno referenced).

Sulik2

He won't necessarily be a short term president. That's good to know.

I love this quote:

Moving away from those platforms is a big YES from me, as much as I enjoyed them both. Nintendo needs some re-branding.

Thats an interesting quote, sounds like removing backwards compat to move away from Power PC to me.

phanphare

Banned
So NX the main points I take from this interview is that NX is seen mainly as a console (seeing the comparison with Wii and Wii U), the it will be "unique and different" which practically means no BC compatibility and not a traditional console either and that Nintendo thinks that they didn't lock enough software behind amiibo.

previous Nintendo hardware has been both "unique and different" while also supporting BC, I don't see that statement as evidence to its inclusion or omission

Hoo-doo

Banned
Fuck it. Make a Nintendo phone.

If Pepsi can create phones then so can Nintendo. Dedicated handhelds are due for a radical change.

I'm pretty sure NX stands for "Nintendo X", as in, Nintendo Cross, because the devices focuses heavily on share architecture and software. The whole concept is cross-development and cross-device implementation of technology and a ubiquitous user experience.

No idea about the DS though.

Dual Screen maybe?

Hydrus

Question: So how much time before the reveal did correct info on wii u leak? Were like 6 months away from E3 and we haven't had a lot of stuff leak yet.

Davey Cakes

FOURTH PILLAR CONFIRMED.

To me, all this article has done is add more obscurity to what the NX is actually going to be. I need details Nintendo.
2016, man.

The wait is going to be hell. Nintendo are keeping people on the edge of their seats with curiosity over this thing.

Saying something is new and unique is really just industry buzzwords. Every new console is going to "change the way you play and interact with games"

That said I do believe Nintendo will start fresh with the NX. As much as everyone cries when a console launches without backwards compatibility I don't think we need it. The Wiiu does HDMI. It's not going to become a problem to hookup to your tv for many years to come. Nintendo has become more experienced with their VC and I'm sure they look to that as the future of BC.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
previous Nintendo hardware has been both "unique and different" while also supporting BC, I don't see that statement as evidence to its inclusion or omission

previous Nintendo hardware wasn't "something where we have to move away from those platforms"

wazoo

fucking thank you. The amount of people here who say that development should just stop and move everything to NX is ridiculous. I want Zelda Wii U, not just on NX.

It would be funny that NX is so different as a platform that porting a WiiU game was not possible.

It'd be hilarious if it never comes to the NX.

Some people are already lining up for the fictional Zelda NX.

That would be batshit insane, given the game's likely budget, the state of the Wii U market, and the fact that such a decision would prevent NX from getting a mainline Zelda game until 2020 or so.

But it wouldn't be the first obviously terrible decision Nintendo has made, so I can't entirely rule it out.

phanphare

Banned
previous Nintendo hardware wasn't "something where we have to move away from those platforms"

ummm....every Nintendo hardware moves away from the previous generation in some form or another. also I took that more as him saying "hey, we're not going to cling to the Wii brand anymore".

Lies! I've read threads on GAF, nothing will ever be annouced for Wii U again. And anyway, this guys been President of Nintendo for like, 3 days or something, I doubt he knows anything about it. Reggie only reconfirmed Zelda on Wii U to keep us on our toes, like God with the fossil record.

I'd honestly prefer they get as far away from the Wii u as possible and focus 100% on not repeating its mistakes with their next system.

“As far as NX goes, I’ve said it’s different and obviously a new experience,” he tells me. “If you look back to the beginning of our conversation today, we talked about the transition from Wii hardware to the Wii U hardware and how difficult it is to explain to the consumer base what is different and new about the new hardware. It’s difficult to convince them to switch from their current platform to the next platform.”

“That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”
Reading this quote, yep, Nintendo is going to do what they have done in the past and create a console that will help their software. I just hope it is region free this time and with an account system like PS4/XBO.

Even if QoL was dead, I don't think he'd say it there.

The "NX info" doesn't really seem meaningful to me. Of course it's going to be different. They can't do the Wii or Wii U again (albeit for different reasons). This is more intriguing:

“A challenge that we’re facing right now is, our earliest goal for the Amiibo was to have these connected to software and have them enhance the play experience for the consumer, and for other consumers to say ‘I see my friend using this Amiibo with that software and it looks great,’ and again increase that attractiveness of that combination. What we’re seeing instead is that the Amiibo are being picked up more as a collection item at this point, rather than, say, as an interactive item with software. And so we haven’t really established them as an enhancement for all of our software at this point.”

"People aren’t using Amiibo the way Nintendo intended (yet)"
For fucks sake. Just stop trying to push them as enhancement to software and let people keep on collecting them for collections' sake.

wazoo

That would be batshit insane, given the game's likely budget, the state of the Wii U market, and the fact that such a decision would prevent NX from getting a mainline Zelda game until 2020 or so.

Nintendo is all about pride. They will not cancel Zelda for the WiiU, it would be the most blatant "WiiU is a failure" declaration. They will just absorb the losses and start clean with a new platform afterwards "that correspond to the experiences they want to give to the public".

takriel

You have people like Mr. Konno responsible for the Mario Kart series, or Mr. Koizumi who is in our Tokyo office with Mario Galaxy and so forth. So those guys are really working on that ground level, saying ‘Okay, let’s create the software we need today and tomorrow.’

it's happening

AntMurda

Even if QoL was dead, I don't think he'd say it there

QOL appears in the latest Nintendo CSR report, where "health" will be the first theme of their QOL products. It's far from dead - especially when it's an important idea for Nintendo to reach the non-gaming population.

QOL appears in the latest Nintendo CSR report, where "health" will be the first theme of their QOL products. It's far from dead - especially when it's an important idea for Nintendo to reach the non-gaming population.
For the record, I don't think it's dead. I just don't think it's that useful to take that statement as confirming it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
ummm....every Nintendo hardware moves away from the previous generation in some form or another. also I took that more as him saying "hey, we're not going to cling to the Wii brand anymore".

That's factually not true. Wii didn't move away from Gamecube and Wii U didn't move away from Wii U.

Unless it's all just buzzword, I don't see how you move away from something while sharing the games.

L Thammy

Nintendo is all about pride. They will not cancel Zelda for the WiiU, it would be the most blatant "WiiU is a failure" declaration. They will just absorb the losses and start clean with a new platform afterwards "that correspond to the experiences they want to give to the public".

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo culture (I'm an expert), but pride and shame are huge parts of it.

I didn't say anything about canceling the Wii U version. Though I still think that's possible, albeit less likely after the last Nintendo Direct.

Top Bottom