• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time's Interview with Nintendo's President Tatsumi Kimishima (Some NX info)

Banned
looking at their 2016 lineup and assuming NX launches in November 2016, it looks like they wont be making that mistake. which is great.

but as soon as NX drops they will abandon the hell out of Wii U, that I am sure of.
Of course. Pikmin 4 and Zelda U will be the last big releases in the second half of 2016 and then you'll get shovel ware in 2017 like fortune street, ,adios party 11, sonic and Mario filth, and animal crossing monopoly.

Just look at the releases of the GameCube when the Wii launched or the releases on the Wii after the Wii U launched.

Their just saying that to save face.

XzV5Yek.jpg

The NX is just going to be a cloud based expansion pak for the Wii U! The return of the expansion pak!

I basically took this as a confirmation that, yet again, there's going to be some gimmick to the console.

Almost every console that has come out recently, including the PS4, has had a gimmick attached to it. It's not a bad thing, it's just what sets it apart from the competition. It's kind of needed in this day and age. The real question is whether or not said gimmick will catch on, or hinder the creation of games for the platform. Share Play on the Playstation didn't really catch on, but it never really did anything to prevent developers from creating games for the system, so it wasn't a big deal that it was never a big success.

Yeah, but Nintendo's already given their answer to the challenge of developing a system where software doesn't depend on specific hardware:

And they've already started implementing these kinds of tools:

The NDI, by stating it can be tailored to the platform you're developing for, has to be either addressing 3DS-Wii U cross-development, Wii U-NX cross-development, or cross-form-factor development for NX. In any case, Nintendo's demonstrating that they don't see software development as coupled to rigid separation between hardware platforms anymore.

It's a great first step but still presents a problem in that software won't be able to take advantage of the hardware "to the metal". The virtualized software environment will always be an abstraction layer, keeping the developer a level removed from the direct hardware.

So for this to eventually not make a big difference, the virtualized software environment either needs to somehow provide complete direct hardware access for multiple configurations (which is a lot of work), or things have to come to a point where a "good enough" threshold for visual and computational performance is reached in the hardware space where even a virtualized software environment running on top produces results 99% comparable to what you could get without that acting as an obstruction, by which point the final 1% is pretty much redundant and unnecessary. That particular future is still at least a decade out if we're talking classical computing.

Shang

The Wiimote will be compatible, that a given. It's just a Bluetooth device and not having it would be cutting off a massive chunk of Nintendo's legacy software. Game pad is more uncertain. Perhaps the NX zoomed controller will have a smaller, cheaper screen.

I don't know, that quote about moving away from Wii and Wii U says to me that there will be no Wiimote support on NX. I honestly kind of prefer it this way. There are too many different kinds of controllers attached to the Wii brand, and having a fresh slate with one kind of controller would be really convenient.

maxcriden

Of course. Pikmin 4 and Zelda U will be the last big releases in the second half of 2016 and then you'll get shovel ware in 2017 like fortune street, ,adios party 11, sonic and Mario filth, and animal crossing monopoly.

Just look at the releases of the GameCube when the Wii launched or the releases on the Wii after the Wii U launched.

Their just saying that to save face.

XzV5Yek.jpg

The NX is just going to be a cloud based expansion pak for the Wii U! The return of the expansion pak!

Pikmin 4 could be NX or cross-platform. Just FWIW. Regardless, hoping Nintendo has found a way to smooth the generational transition.

TunaLover

I think moving away from Wii/Wii U refers to the casual concept, gimmick hook, don't believe they will just forget about these consoles existed, or even not make the controllers compatible with it.

For intance you need a Wiimote to multiplayer games on Wii U (at least that the setup for its flagship title Nintendoland) it will not be the case with NX where you need a controller from previous gen to play multiplayer games.

The 'our base' is reasuring, they know people love backwards compatility, at least from previous gen.

It sounds good about moving away from Wii and Wii U, and whatever the case, i just hope it's on par with the current gen or simply even better.

“Also, something I think that maybe was misunderstood previously was, there was talk about me being around for one year. What that was, is the board of directors, as a member of the board, the term is for one year. And at the next shareholders meeting we have to be reconfirmed as board members. That happens on a yearly basis, but there was never any meaning that I would only be president for one year in that conversation.”

Oh hey it was that thing I said was what he meant but everyone kept arguing with me about because they had boners about Hino or Takahashi taking over in a year.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't know, that quote about moving away from Wii and Wii U says to me that there will be no Wiimote support on NX. I honestly kind of prefer it this way. There are too many different kinds of controllers attached to the Wii brand, and having a fresh slate with one kind of controller would be really convenient.

So Nintendo is going to consign Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Skyward Sword, Wii Sports, etc to the dustbin never to be played again? I don't see why they wouldn't support Wii remotes for legacy software that they sell on the eShop even if new games are restricted to new controllers.

Kriken

Oh hey it was that thing I said was what he meant but everyone kept arguing with me about because they had boners about Hino or Takahashi taking over in a year.

I didn't disagree, people just forget that Iwata had the same thing about being voted out as Kimishima

At this point, I feel like NX will be an Apple TV like device. He seems to suggest that it won't be a traditional console successor but things still seem to point to some type of console. A Nintendo TV device would fit in pretty well with the information provided.

It's supposed to exist next to the Wii U, right? Well....not that it's so different with Xbox One and 360, and PS4 and PS3. Nintendo is saying a lot but at the same time they aren't say anything. They are so vague about things. Reggie did confirm that it's a home console, did he not?

LordOfChaos

Yeah, but Nintendo's already given their answer to the challenge of developing a system where software doesn't depend on specific hardware:

And they've already started implementing these kinds of tools:

The NDI, by stating it can be tailored to the platform you're developing for, has to be either addressing 3DS-Wii U cross-development, Wii U-NX cross-development, or cross-form-factor development for NX. In any case, Nintendo's demonstrating that they don't see software development as coupled to rigid separation between hardware platforms anymore.

Sounds a lot like developing on Android Studio or Xcode, a single development environment, that you can tailor to multiple pieces of target hardware.

At this point, I feel like NX will be an Apple TV like device. He seems to suggest that it won't be a traditional console successor but things still seem to point to some type of console. A Nintendo TV device would fit in pretty well with the information provided.
Someone had a fleshed out concept mock-up of a Nintendo TV-like device a while back on these boards, and it seemed pretty well-reasoned and mapped out.

Possibly the most realistic and sensible approach to a new console Nintendo could take, aside from a hypothetical PS4/XBO beast box.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The company intends to keep making software for the Wii-U

So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.’ Of course we are working on NX and looking at the experiences we can bring to that platform. But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchase Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.”
Look, Nintendo, I own a WiiU. With the upcoming purchase of Xenoblade I'll own like 11 full retail games for the console. Let it go. I'm ready to make the jump.

Zalman

He’s equally upbeat about his ability to lead the company. “I feel that I have a firm understanding of this company,” he tells me. “I know how it operates. I know there are strings that can be leveraged, and that there are areas where improvement is required, and all this creates a great sense of responsibility. I feel responsible for every employee. I feel responsible for every shareholder. Perhaps most importantly I feel responsible for every single gamer.”
I love this guy already.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm almost positive when he said

he probably just meant the NX wont use the Wii branding

I'm interpreting this as they won't be creating another white rectangle to sit underneath the TV. I'm thinking it's all handheld.

I'm not sure how you read that statement and conclude that he's only talking about the Wii name.

Diffense

He has a pretty direct way of speaking (while still being vague about matters they don't what to reveal yet). I look forward to what they have in store.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Funny. When he said they weren't making successors to the Wii U and Wii I assumed that meant "not going for cheap hardware with gimmicks" anymore. So the NX will be the opposite.

You serious? You honestly think they are going to give it the ol' college try again to compete in the high-spec console market that has been chewing them up completely at this point?

Nintendo coming out with a beefy, expensive and traditional console is likely going to bomb harder than even the Wii-U did. It's a steep uphill battle to gain any marketshare when you have no proper third party support to back you up at launch, and you're stuck with an initial userbase that basically only buys Nintendo.
Or are you honestly one of those people who thinks third parties will be lining up again to throw their money in the trash creating ports for a new system just because? Stop being delusional.

Without a 'hook' (or gimmick), a new Nintendo console would basically have no real way of tapping into a new market of gamers. They will sell to the Nintendo fanbase, which proceeds to buy mostly Nintendo games, and third parties will ignore them just as they do now.

Managing to create a hook that's appealing enough for the device to cater to audiences beyond the ever-shrinking Nintendo fanbase they have, is going to be a mighty challenge. And I am very interested in seeing if the NX pulls it off.

Them releasing a cookie-cutter white rectangle to go toe-to-toe with the X1/PS4 will likely only lead to another dismal failure.

Gabe3208

Banned
That being said, I can assure you we’re not building the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.

This is good news, however, what the hell can this thing possibly be or do? With the rumors going around about it being a console/handheld hybrid, or something like that, it doesn't match up to what he's saying (at least to me).

Or maybe I'm just crazy, but him saying "It's something unique and different" makes me want to believe that it's something different. Something different like how PSVR is different. (I'm not saying they are working on VR, pretty sure they're not) But different HOW? That's the million dollar question!!!

mStudios

I would like Nintendo to use/adapt "Modules."

Modules could be a add-on through USB who lets you plays retro consoles.
Let me explain:
The new Nintendo console will not have backwards compatibility, however, if you want to, you can buy a Module for (50-80 dollars) connect it to your NX and then you can play your old games. Be it Wii, WiiU or Gamecube.

a) Gamecube Module = 50USD. let's you play all gamecube games that you own through discs.
b) Wii Module = 80USD. Let's you play all wii games that you own through discs.
c) WiiU Module = 100USD. Let's you play all WiiU Games that you own through discs.

You can also download them, but then, they will not be compatible with your modules.

Could also work for retro consoles, but instead of old cartridges, they can use SD Cards.

This would make people who own physical happy, while those who wants digital just can download them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The key takeaway from this interview is that NX is certainly a console. In fact, none of this or the previous interviews refer to anything portable.

The way he said it won't follow the Wii and the Wii u doesn't give me any hope it's a home console. Aside from the name similarities. Both consoles were different from each other and one is backward compatible with the older version.

Ehhh, both consoles did have one very large similarity and it's that they tried to provide value through a unique input method. Moving away from those could mean not trying to create a different type of controller and trying to innovate in other ways (probably with the connectivity and scalability between the handheld, console, and any other "form factors") which sounds incredibly exciting to me

StevieP

Banned
I would like Nintendo to use/adapt "Modules."

Modules could be a add-on through USB who lets you plays retro consoles.
Let me explain:
The new Nintendo console will not have backwards compatibility, however, if you want to, you can buy a Module for (50-80 dollars) connect it to your NX and then you can play your old games. Be it Wii, WiiU or Gamecube.

a) Gamecube Module = 50USD. let's you play all gamecube games that you own through discs.
b) Wii Module = 80USD. Let's you play all wii games that you own through discs.
c) WiiU Module = 100USD. Let's you play all WiiU Games that you own through discs.

You can also download them, but then, they will not be compatible with your modules.

Could also work for retro consoles, but instead of old cartridges, they can use SD Cards.

This would make people who own physical happy, while those who wants digital just can download them.

You can't put a Wii u on a usb stick

The key takeaway from this interview is that NX is certainly a console. In fact, none of this or the previous interviews refer to anything portable.

There is obviously a portable device associated with nx, as their previous slides mention this

It's a great first step but still presents a problem in that software won't be able to take advantage of the hardware "to the metal". The virtualized software environment will always be an abstraction layer, keeping the developer a level removed from the direct hardware.

So for this to eventually not make a big difference, the virtualized software environment either needs to somehow provide complete direct hardware access for multiple configurations (which is a lot of work), or things have to come to a point where a "good enough" threshold for visual and computational performance is reached in the hardware space where even a virtualized software environment running on top produces results 99% comparable to what you could get without that acting as an obstruction, by which point the final 1% is pretty much redundant and unnecessary. That particular future is still at least a decade out if we're talking classical computing.

Sorry to break it to ya, but there is no metal anymore. On any system. There are abstraction layers with everything

Nice to see he/they are trying to draw a line under the Wii Wii U names and distinguish that this is a brand new machine/s rather than the next Wii U.I'm liking what he says,let's hope it produces an actual first class product,one to get excited about again.

mStudios

You can't put a Wii u on a usb stick

There is obviously a portable device associated with nx, as their previous slides mention this

Sorry to break it to ya, but there is no metal anymore. On any system. There are abstraction layers with everything

Module, as in "Optical Wii U Disk Module" With its own hardware (Saying this because o the new patent).

Hermii

I believed QoL went the way of the vitality sensor, so its nice to have a confirmation its still alive. I for one, want a Nintendo made sleep sensor.

Also I generally like the things Kimishima is saying :)

Lingitiz

Is it wierd to really miss Iwata?

Of course not, he was a very rare gaming company leader that will probably never be replicated again.

But I am at least reassured that the company isn't using his death as a opportunity to completely shift from what his ideals and plans were. Seems like they're committed to sticking to the plans he put into motion for the foreseeable future.

Kimishima seems like a businessman that gets it, although he is less idealistic and more frank and realistic about what they need to do to succeed.

Banned
Except the only reason it was a cross gen release was because Wii and GameCube hardware were nearly identical. If NX turns out to be an overclocked Wii U, only then would I expect a port.
Yes, because Nintendo is going to risk a low ROI on their most expensive game to make on an install base of only 10 million.

Top Bottom