• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've seen the retail PlayStation VR headset and it's SPECTACULAR [POLYGON]

mocoworm

The retail PlayStation VR's processing box is about the size of a Wii - PlayStation VR still remains the most consumer looking of the VR kits

http://www.polygon.com/2015/12/16/10287734/retail-playstation-vr-box

https://www.facebook.com/polygon/posts/1092330687446225

The final retail version of the PlayStation VR headset — codenamed Project Morpheus — will plug into a sizable black box before plugging into the PlayStation 4.

While PlayStation officials have discussed the need for the VR headset's processing box, it wasn't clear what form it would finally take.

I got a chance to check out the retail version of the headset during a demo of the VirZoom bike earlier this month. I wasn't allowed to take any pictures or ask the VirZoom developers any questions about it, other then to confirm it was the final retail version, not a dev kit. But I was allowed to examine it closely and try it on.

As we learned earlier this year, the PlayStation VR headset doesn't plug directly into the PlayStation 4. Instead, it plugs into a processing box, which in turn plugs into the PlayStation 4. This allows people to use the TV and PS4 to interact with, or just watch, the person playing their VR game.

The black box looked a bit smaller than a Wii and is used to process the VR graphics and sort out the second-screen social experience on the television.

The headset itself felt refined in a way that only a company like Sony can deliver. Everything felt comfortable, futuristic, neatly designed, from the way the headset slipped onto your head and tightened with a dial built into the back of the headband, to the ability to pull the 5.7-inch OLED display away from or against your face while playing.

It is, to date, the most comfortable VR headset I've tried on, a list which includes both Oculus and Vive. It feels like a device designed to be treated like a game controller or a remote; something that you can pick up and put on with out much fuss.

Project Morpheus was announced at the 2014 Game Developers Conference and made appearances at a number of other conferences as development on the device continued. This September, Sony changed the name of the device to PlayStation VR and confirmed that it would be coming out in the first half of 2016.

A number of games were announced for the device during the PlayStation Experience earlier this month.

PSVRCable4.jpg

https://youtu.be/LMq8gQkljMw

I find it difficult to think I'd put say, €300 - €400 down on one without trying it though. The price tag is hefty for something thats difficult to demo and what not.

I find it difficult to think I'd put say, €300 - €400 down on one without trying it though. The price tag is hefty for something thats difficult to demo and what not.

There'll be Kinect like "demo" stalls everywhere for it I imagine. Can't think of any other way they're gonna shift it besides word of mouth and Oprah plugs.

jmaine_ph

The size of a Wii? That's not huge but I didn't expect it to be that big.

But forget all of that! Give it to me now!!!

I'm really looking forward to VR, but after Move and EyeToy, I have a hard time trusting that Sony will give this the support it deserves.

Mihos

Gold Member
I am still seduced from before. Just release it and some games and I will give you my credit card number, no questions asked.

There'll be Kinect like "demo" stalls everywhere for it I imagine. Can't think of any other way they're gonna shift it besides word of mouth and Oprah plugs.

Bring your own antibacterial wipes.

And I'm guessing the box is basically a graphics card. Some more cash to keep AMD on life support!

Raist

Banned
The size of a Wii? That's not huge but I didn't expect it to be that big.

But forget all of that! Give it to me now!!!

Well there's been plenty of pictures of it. Granted that's like a dev kit version, but I wouldn't have expected it to be dramatically smaller.

I'm guessing it will push $400 Canadian which is a shame, but I'll pony up. I bought an iPad when they first came out, no way I'm not getting VR as soon as I can.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If they have final hardware now hopefully it will be out next quarter.

I'm also looking forward to getting this modded to work on PC.

Can't wait to try it,but I'm still conflicted on the VR devices coming out.As I have a powerful PC I may have to go with Occulus or Vive over this.Guess it all comes down to games and price.

If they have final hardware now hopefully it will be out next quarter.

I'm imagine the waiting game is now all about titles and experiences. What are you most looking forward to experiencing?

I tweeted Shu and asked if we can expect a creative suite of art tools to be made available from Day One. I know Dreams is coming but it's not a launch title, at least not to anyone's knowledge. Do we know of any other creativity based software due to release at or near launch?

kyser73

I'm curious about this "processing box" that the headset is plugged in.

It does the following:

3D binaural sound processing
Post-processes the split 'fisheye' images sent to the HMD into a single 2D image for viewing on the TV by non-HMD wearers.
IIRC it also does some kind of lifting with the sensor data from the HMD too.

What it doesn't do is carry out any GPU/CPU work, nor does it assist with frame reprojection/warp (which according to a slide at a Sony VR dev talk, 'runs on a light asynch compute job').

I know absolutely nothing about this headset (or any vr headset) so i'm shocked it's coming out so soon!

I assume you can use it to play non vr games on it too?
What about films?

I'm never this pumped for new tech. Please hurry up. I'm gonna purchase the OR and Vive, but I'm going to try to build my PC later so it'll be 4k/60fps ready, i.e. ready for VR round 2.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm curious about this "processing box" that the headset is plugged in.

The processing is mostly the bin-aural audio stuff and a bit of post image processing/splitting to feed the required type of image to both the headset and TV for social viewing. The simulation and rendering processing is happening on the PS4 (including the reprojection processing).

reeperdotcom

Neo Member
I seriously cannot wait for VR to take off. It's going to change everything in media. It's most definitely a good time to be alive.

Memory

Can't wait to get one of these, I'm hoping PlayStation don't fuck up and under ship to the or create artifical scarcity UK.

I got £500 set aside already for the unit and some launch games. Even my GF is interested in the non game applications after I showed her the E3 tightrope demo.

Hermii

If this thing will be expensive I wonder if Ps5 will support it, or it they want to sell me a new one when that time comes.

ChaosXVI

I'm still on a "wait and see" basis with PSVR, but damn if it hasn't been slowly winning me over in recent months. I was dead-set against VR up until this year, but now I really, really want to try it out.

I also wish Nintendo would get on board with this...I'd pay $1000 for Metroid Prime HD-VR.

Jeff Gerstmann of Giant Bomb Dot Com (a website about video games) is also super impressed with the Sony headset.

I think he ranks em Oculus > PSVR > Vive for comfort/control

I was originally just going to get one of the PC headsets but Sony has shown me enough that I'll be jumping in asap on their solution, too

Top Bottom