• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've seen the retail PlayStation VR headset and it's SPECTACULAR [POLYGON]

Brew124

At his stage, all I need is the release date and price so I can pre-order it. I'm already committed to a day one purchase.

Jay Sosa

So is the VR itself spectacular or just the design? I'm confused. I honestly don't give a shit how it looks (as long as it's comfortable to wear)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm imagine the waiting game is now all about titles and experiences. What are you most looking forward to experiencing?

No game specifically but genres. I want a good space game so that will probably be Valkyrie or Elite. A good fps and a good racing game.

I would love a game like Skyrim built specially for VR. That would probably be all the game I'll need for quite some time.

Damn Polygon is late as fuck, VR Focus has pics of all this shit 2 weeks ago and Polygon talking about they couldn't take pics. WHY?

Thread that was made about it
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1151816&highlight=
Processing Unit
PSVRCable4.jpg

Cable with buttons volume control, a microphone input and a power button
http://vrfocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/PSVRCable3.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Processing unit looks like a baby Xbox One

Bradach

I'm reminded of the napoleon dynamite scene where the southern accented middle aged woman whispers "I want that" to her husband.

I want that

Takiyah

LOL, Polygon wrote positive things about Sony ^^

Hey, only 7 responses down before somebody makes a jab at Polygon for doing something wrong/unethical/hypocrytical

Very excited for this device and will be buying one day ZERO...or one.

Portugeezer

Also, if that is the final retail version, how long can we realistically expect until this releases? I can't think it would be too long. H1 of 2016 should be doable, right?

I got USD 400 saved for this thing. One thing I hope is to be able to watch movies like the cinema app available to Oculus and be able to watch E3 2016 in a gigantic virtual screen.

i have a feeling we will have another ps4 price situation here.
ps vr will be £200.

If they could get the price at £200, VR would fly off the shelves. I am thinking more like £300, but I think at this price there will still be plenty of interest. We already know there are plenty of games coming for VR to drive demand.

I am interested in the processing box, is there any news or rumours of its specs?

"The black box looked a bit smaller than a Wii"

Holy cow - that's massive. Guess it will need to be secured down too, to stop it getting pulled off the shelf if you move around.

Edit: wonder what else is in that processing box? dGPU?
misterxmedia had the wrong horse, heh.

No game specifically but genres. I want a good space game so that will probably be Valkyrie or Elite. A good fps and a good racing game.

I would love a game like Skyrim built specially for VR. That would probably be all the game I'll need for quite some time.

I mentioned it in another thread, but the fact they got Driveclub up and running on PSVR, granted with some graphical reductions, bodes well for porting other PS4 titles to VR. As an example I'd love to see GTA V given a VR makeover, or at least allow it to be played in a VR environment. Imagine playing GTA V on Michael's TV in his living room, in his house . . .

Jeels

The one I tried on at PSX was super comfortable, significantly moreso than the one at E3. It didn't even feel like I was wearing anything once I got into the game TBH.

kyser73

that's awesome, now Sony bring it at $199.99 and I'm all in

Sony've lowballed their prediction for the total year one VR market - at least the PC/Console side - at 2.5mn HMDs sold, so I'm pretty certain $199USD isn't happening.

Would blow up the new market tho, so here's hoping!

I just want the preorders to go up darn it.

Yes! I am impatient for my impulse buy of 2016. The weekend following release it's going to ordering food in, rows of water bottles within arm's length, and looking like an idiot to my gf as I wear the headset muttering to myself.

I'd like to think she would understand.

The one I tried on at PSX was super comfortable, significantly moreso than the one at E3. It didn't even feel like I was wearing anything once I got into the game TBH.

Really eh? So it was very light? Was there a lot of light seepage around the seal of the headset? What games did you play? I trust GAF impressions the most.

G-Bus

Banned
It's all about price.

Wonder if they would be willing to take a loss for a lower price point to get this thing in some homes.I feel like word of mouth and knowing someone with one Will bring more people in.

I'm interested but hugely skeptical. Need to try.

Sony've lowballed their prediction for the total year one VR market - at least the PC/Console side - at 2.5mn HMDs sold, so I'm pretty certain $199USD isn't happening.

Would blow up the new market tho, so here's hoping!

There's no way it's $199, especially if the whole thing requires the PS Camera, another box, a headset, and likely some form of pack in software because you can't sell VR without also packing something with it. Also, a move controller or two given that it seems necessary for some of these games.

I don't see it coming in under $350, $300 maybe if they're willing to take a loss on the units which i doubt they will be.

sirap

As someone who owns all versions of Sony's HMZ, I can vouch for their comfortableness. They've learned a lot since the first version (HMZ-T1), and I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
As an example I'd love to see GTA V given a VR makeover, or at least allow it to be played in a VR environment. Imagine playing GTA V on Michael's TV in his living room, in his house . . .

That would be good.

I mentioned it in another thread, but the fact they got Driveclub up and running on PSVR, granted with some graphical reductions, bodes well for porting other PS4 titles to VR.

Yes that does bode well. I think as the algorithms and techniques improve the workload for processing two images will dramatically drop.

darknil

I really hope they make a theatre mode for all games and they fit nicely with headphones. If they nail that, I see myself buying it immediately after testing it.

That would be good.

Yes that does bode well. I think as the algorithms and techniques improve the workload for processing two images will dramatically drop.

If developers are smart, they're already designing their games from the ground-up with a 'VR mode' in mind. Think Tekken and Ace Combat. How many games do we know are coming to both PS4 and PSVR?

Tekken
Ace Combat
Driveclub

MXAGhost

Pricing wise, that VR unit won't be below $350-$375. Remember the iPhone when it came out.
It does seem like a cool unit. That small brick of a power unit looks okay but it better have a long cord (10ft +). Did they state if you are using the DS4 or Move controllers?

Harlequin

There's no way it's $199, especially if the whole thing requires the PS Camera, another box, a headset, and likely some form of pack in software because you can't sell VR without also packing something with it. Also, a move controller or two given that it seems necessary for some of these games.

I don't see it coming in under $350, $300 maybe if they're willing to take a loss on the units which i doubt they will be.

I'm pretty sure that they'll be selling different bundles. One with just the headset and the processing unit, perhaps one that'll also include a game, one that'll also include Moves, PS Camera and a game, maybe even one with Moves but without the camera (considering the camera sold relatively well and I doubt everyone who got a PS4 camera has Move controllers).

Did they state if you are using the DS4 or Move controllers?

Depends on the game.

Pricing wise, that VR unit won't be below $350-$375. Remember the iPhone when it came out.
It does seem like a cool unit. That small brick of a power unit looks okay but it better have a long cord (10ft +). Did they state if you are using the DS4 or Move controllers?

You can use both. You can use any combination of five, I believe. There was an image showing different combinations of DS4s/Move wands.

The DS4, and really, the PS4, was designed with VR in mind from the beginning.

Seiru

Banned
I'm sorry, but whenever an author says that he's tried the "Oculus", I never know whether to take them seriously or not. He needs to specify whether he tried the Oculus Rift that is releasing in Q1, not some dev kit.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
shortsFortallPeople said:
It's all but guaranteed to come in multiple SKUs ie. Standalone Headset, Headset + Camera, and/or Headset+Camera+Controller(s).

What I'm more curious is whether we'll get rebranded/redesigned Move controllers, wasn't there some leaked photo suggesting such a possibility a few months back?

chubigans said:
I don't think you understand how VR works.
I don't think it's that far fetched given the wireless video solutions that already exist - but it would inflate the cost of headset considerably (and weight, since it would need a battery pack).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
After having my Samsung Gear VR for a while, I can safely say I'd pay $400 for this EASILY.

I don't think it's that far fetched given the wireless video solutions that already exist - but it would inflate the cost of headset considerably (and weight, since it would need a battery pack).

I'm not super familiar with the current state of wireless HDMI solutions, but do they have acceptable amount of latency? Even the tiniest delay is extremely perceivable in VR.

Top Bottom