• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've seen the retail PlayStation VR headset and it's SPECTACULAR [POLYGON]

ElNino

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of the external processing unit but does that mean that both this and the camera will need to use the PS4 front USB ports? Assuming yes, this makes me even more disappointed that Sony didn't put any ports on the back.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
ZRLzvru.gif

I find it difficult to think I'd put say, €300 - €400 down on one without trying it though. The price tag is hefty for something thats difficult to demo and what not.

I would assume they'll have people in lots of stores like Toys R Us, Gamestop, Best Buy, Game, Wal-Mart, Tesco, Carrefour, Media Markt, etc (basically any large electronics retailer) to demo the unit and help consumers get used to it. I mean, it would require thousands of employees (probably contractors hired specially for this purpose), but get on board for 3 months and get them into popular stores to demo the hardware and sell it to people through practical use. That's what I'd do were I head of marketing at Sony, anyway.

I'm curious about this "processing box" that the headset is plugged in.

Sounds like it might be a bit of a beast - I'm guessing PSVR might be more powerful than we were expecting?

I'm really interested to see how the market reacts to this tech.

I honestly cannot see it being successful outside of the enthusiasts. Price is too steep and the software simply isn't there.

raven777

I tried one last month (which wasn't the final version, but near final I think) and it was surprisingly comfortable. Can't compare with other VR devices though since I haven't tried other stuff.

I'm figuring that we'll get a base bundle that comes with a PS Camera, as it is required, and another bundle that comes with a pair of PS Move controllers as well.

That's not the final one though. Those pictures are from PSX where it was on display to the public.

That's definitely the version I played with at PSX and all the people running the demos were quite clear that these were the most recent iteration and were as close to the retail kit as it was going to get; black box and all. It felt really comfortable and simple to get quickly configured to your focusing needs.

Hmm, this is the first I've heard of the external processing unit but does that mean that both this and the camera will need to use the PS4 front USB ports? Assuming yes, this makes me even more disappointed that Sony didn't put any ports on the back.

The camera doesn't use the front USB ports, it has its own connection on the rear.

Price is too steep and the software simply isn't there.

What price?

I hope they'll be an option for just a headset, already own two move controllers and the PS4 camera.

Curious how it connects to PS4 though, is it through the camera port on the back? [the processing unit]

The camera just uses a specific usb-like port on the back of the ps4. The breakout box requires hdmi and a normal usb port unless they'e changed it.

I'm figuring that we'll get a base bundle that comes with a PS Camera, as it is required, and another bundle that comes with a pair of PS Move controllers as well.

I'm hoping there's a bundle that's Move x 2 + the PSVR kit, as there are a number of people like myself that already own a camera. Though making it so a number of people buy an extra camera could be a cheeky way to increase its install base since I imagine you'll start finding more of them on Ebay or being gifted to people.

wut. Is it in the box?
Probably there will be a bundle with it. Also what do you mean 'wut,' how else do you expect it to do positional tracking?

I'm really interested to see how the market reacts to this tech.

I honestly cannot see it being successful outside of the enthusiasts. Price is too steep and the software simply isn't there.
1- we don't know the price
2- we don't know the launch software
3- you may be jumping the gun here just a bit

I wonder what the screen door effect is like.. it was pretty bad on the Occulus DK2 I tried.

I've played around with an Oculus DK2 at a friend's place as well as PSVR at PSX earlier in the month. I never noticed any screen door effect on PSVR, tbh. I played 6 different games during that time.

J-Skee

While I'm excited about what VR can do, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it long-term. I recently got one of those Google Cardboard sets & after 5 minutes, my eyes were in pain. I don't know how people use these things for any longer than that.

Bsigg12

HDMI from what though, PS4 to the breakout box? Or from the breakout box to your TV/monitor?

Both. You need HDMI and USB into the box and it has HDMI out to the TV.

While I'm excited about what VR can do, I'm not sure if I'll be able to use it long-term. I recently got one of those Google Cardboard sets & after 5 minutes, my eyes were in pain. I don't know how people use these things for any longer than that.

Cardboard is probably the worst VR experience you can have right now that is available.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
HDMI from what though, PS4 to the breakout box? Or from the breakout box to your TV/monitor?

You need at least 3 HDMI cables

One link the tv and the box
One link the ps4 and the box
One from the box to the headset cable

there is also a power cord for the box
And the power cord for the ps4

also the ear phone which plugs into the headset cable

And the camera cable

Bsigg12

One from the tv to the box
One from the ps4 to the box
One from the box which connect to the headset cable

Only 2, they have a proprietary connection to the headset from the breakout box.

ElNino

Both. You need HDMI and USB into the box and it has HDMI out to the TV.

One link the tv and the box
One link the ps4 and the box
One from the box to the headset cable

And the camera cable
Hmm... will need to see about this then. I've been getting excited about trying this out but I'm not sure how well something like this will work in my family room (with my family/kids).

I don't really want to re-wire my PS4 every time we want to use the VR, but I guess if there was a way to permanently wire only the breakout box and only connect the headset when needed it might work. I'm going to need to think about this more once it is finalized.

Chilikar

If this thing is priced like a console, I wonder if it'll come with a playstation camera. The headset doesn't work without it right?

Top Bottom