• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Planet 2 In Development

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yes indeed, the best Sonic Not Sonic game ever made is finally getting a sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHAYtSUfW0c

Further details on the title:

- We commissioned Taxman to recreate Freedom Planet's physics in Unity and to assist us with general programming. The new engine is vector based, so we were able to scale it for the new screen resolution while still keeping the gameplay largely the same.
- Falk and a few VGO guys composed the music for the trailer; Falk himself will be assisting with mixing and mastering for the soundtrack. Woofle and I will be the main composers like last time.
- Christopher Sabat is providing the OkraTron 5000 audio production company in Dallas, Texas, so we won't have any quality or balancing issues like in FP1. VAs who are international will have their equipment upgraded if necessary.

Some of the planned new features for the game:

- Lilac, Carol and Milla will all return as playable characters with updated designs and new attacks.

- There are more differences between Adventure and Classic mode. Adventure is geared more towards short play sessions and features a world map for navigating between stages, and it features a story that's broken up into "arcs" that are around 2-3 stages long. Classic is geared towards a full playthrough in a single afternoon, and features a simplified stage tree along with multiple paths to the finale.

- A guard/parry system. There is a dedicated "Guard" button that, when pressed, creates a split-second shield that makes attacks pass through your character, not unlike air dodging in Smash Bros. This removes the dependency on special attacks to avoid damage and will let us get a bit crazier with our boss fights.

- Revivals. When you're defeated, you can choose to spend an extra life on the spot in order to get back up with a sliver of health and temporary invincibility. If you're not careful, another hit or two will make you die again and you'll have effectively lost two lives, but during close boss battles it can be all you need to deliver a final blow without having to restart the fight. Outside of bosses, it also prevents a hefty loss of time by having to go back to a previous checkpoint. In light of this, Game Overs will now trigger a full stage restart.

- A more customizable difficulty system. You can collect special Gold Gems in the stages (or fuse them using regular crystals), which you can use to temporarily alter the rules of the game such as adding/subtracting starting lives, changing damage multipliers, turning all shield crystals into a single element, and more. It's similar to the Cyber Elf system from the Mega Man Zero series. If you're not a fan of the Revival or Guard mechanics, they can be disabled this way.

We'll be dishing out more info as it progresses but I am so excited to finally start working on it and to share my ideas! :D

"finally"... still feels like freedom planet just came out, and we only just got a beta version of torque to play as today.

wow that trailer, and that art style change, i'll have to see how things turn out I guess.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
"finally" still feels like freedom planet just came out, and we only just got a beta version of torque to play as today.

It has been in a state of release since 2014, shocking I know considering the amount of work the game has seen post-launch.

HyperHip

Yeah that trailer looked like poop, but Freedom Planet was really fun so i'm sure to give it a shot.

But Yeah, that art style :<

I hope the game doesn't have the art direction in the trailer.

I'm torn. The original seems "Too busy" for me graphically, it's hard to distinguish things sometimes, whereas this seems too... "generic graphical upgrade". It's hard to really explain what I mean by that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Handy dandy website link

http://www.freedomplanet2.com/

Lilac.png

fp2_testscreen.png

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
For the love of god please make the stages significantly shorter. Stages dragging on way too long was a huge issue I had with the first. Even the longest stage in a game like this shouldn't reach the ten minute mark unless it's a boss fight you keep failing on or something.

Strife on Retro:
- We commissioned Taxman to recreate Freedom Planet's physics in Unity and to assist us with general programming. The new engine is vector based, so we were able to scale it for the new screen resolution while still keeping the gameplay largely the same.
- Falk and a few VGO guys composed the music for the trailer; Falk himself will be assisting with mixing and mastering for the soundtrack. Woofle and I will be the main composers like last time.
- Christopher Sabat is providing the OkraTron 5000 audio production company in Dallas, Texas, so we won't have any quality or balancing issues like in FP1. VAs who are international will have their equipment upgraded if necessary.

Some of the planned new features for the game:

- Lilac, Carol and Milla will all return as playable characters with updated designs and new attacks.

- There are more differences between Adventure and Classic mode. Adventure is geared more towards short play sessions and features a world map for navigating between stages, and it features a story that's broken up into "arcs" that are around 2-3 stages long. Classic is geared towards a full playthrough in a single afternoon, and features a simplified stage tree along with multiple paths to the finale.

- A guard/parry system. There is a dedicated "Guard" button that, when pressed, creates a split-second shield that makes attacks pass through your character, not unlike air dodging in Smash Bros. This removes the dependency on special attacks to avoid damage and will let us get a bit crazier with our boss fights.

- Revivals. When you're defeated, you can choose to spend an extra life on the spot in order to get back up with a sliver of health and temporary invincibility. If you're not careful, another hit or two will make you die again and you'll have effectively lost two lives, but during close boss battles it can be all you need to deliver a final blow without having to restart the fight. Outside of bosses, it also prevents a hefty loss of time by having to go back to a previous checkpoint. In light of this, Game Overs will now trigger a full stage restart.

- A more customizable difficulty system. You can collect special Gold Gems in the stages (or fuse them using regular crystals), which you can use to temporarily alter the rules of the game such as adding/subtracting starting lives, changing damage multipliers, turning all shield crystals into a single element, and more. It's similar to the Cyber Elf system from the Mega Man Zero series. If you're not a fan of the Revival or Guard mechanics, they can be disabled this way.

We'll be dishing out more info as it progresses but I am so excited to finally start working on it and to share my ideas! :D

Falk

that puzzling face
Why this looks lot worse than the first part?

If anything, that should be more comparable to early beta screenshots of the original game, before the shading/detailing passes. If you check out the original Kickstarter pages, you'll get what I mean.

The first game's art assets and even overall aesthetics had quite the progression as the game developed.

No talking in this sequel please.

PUT THIS MOTHERFUCKING SHIT IN THE OP!

He did brilliant work on the Sonic ports. Am I right in saying he actually reverse engineered the Sonic games so they are no emulated? Whatever he did he got them running in 16x9 without stretching anyway.

specdot

From the games font and sick ass guitar riffs
/s
it looks like the direction they're going in is Mega [furries] Man X.

MrBadger

Looks like they're trying to distance themselves from Sonic comparisons by changing the proportions of the characters.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the first Freedom Planet so if this one improves on what was there before, I'm definitely down.

First game was definitely a love letter to Genesis action/platformers in the same way Shovel Knight was to NES platformers. And based Taxman too? Definitely interested.

oh yeah and that falk guy is on this too huh
<3

Yeah! This game deserved way more recognition, so I'm happy they're making a sequel.

Hopefully the stages will be just as long and they'll make even more =X

One of the best indie games to date.

KevinCow

Banned
I really wanted to like the first game, but god damn the levels were soooooo looooong. It's the kind of game I'd like to play in short bursts, but I have to dedicate a good 30+ minutes to the game if I sit down and play it at all. And that's in classic mode, without the awful cutscenes.

great news, especially the new defense system

Atrarock

He did brilliant work on the Sonic ports. Am I right in saying he actually reverse engineered the Sonic games so they are no emulated? Whatever he did he got them running in 16x9 without stretching anyway.
Not emulated or ported, the games were literally remade for the retro engine which allowed for all of the fancy enhancements.

CDX

But I haven't bought the first one on the Wii U yet. I already have it on PC I was just waiting for a sale.

- We commissioned Taxman to recreate Freedom Planet's physics in Unity and to assist us with general programming.

HYPE.

Wish Sega would have continued to hire Taxman to do both Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles ...and that put all those "new" classic Sonic games on consoles and Steam instead of just Android and iOS. Maybe they still will eventually.

gelf

great news, especially the new defense system

Love hearing this. The boss fights were fantastic.

2015 still delivering on the "Year of Miracles"

One of yhe best games in Steam and Wii U

Having Taxman on board has my hype at unreal levels.

Xeteh

Really cool news for the people that enjoyed the first one. The game seemed really polished but it wasn't my cup of tea but its always pretty rad when indie games justify a sequel.

Top Bottom