• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese creators share their 2016 ambitions. Sakurai confirms new project.

Cerium

http://gematsu.com/2016/01/japanese-creators-share-2016-ambitions-weekly-famitsu

Here are some selections, more at the link:

Arc System Works’ Daisuke Ishiwatari (Guilty Gear series)

We’re currently in super earnest production on the next home console version of Guilty Gear.
Atlus’ Shigeo Komori (Etrian Odyssey series)

Etrian Odyssey V is in its final stages of development. It's cold, but it seems like we'll have more details a little after it starts to warm up.
Atlus’ Katsura Hashino (Persona series)

We’ll safely release Persona 5 in 2016… I think.
Capcom’s Masachika Kawata (Resident Evil series)

Since it’s the true 20th anniversary year of the Resident Evil series, various preparations are underway.
GungHo Online’s Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy series)

Soon, I will be able to debut our secret new title to everyone.
Grassshopper Manufacture’s Goichi Suda

What the heck is going on with Let It Die? Don’t worry, we’re making it!
Koei Tecmo Games’ Yoshito Okamura (Atelier series)

Regarding Atelier Sophie, we’re currently planning new developments in response to its favorable reception. We also want to proactively challenge new titles along the lines of Nights of Azure. We’d die if we didn’t release a new Atelier game every year, so there should be something this year, too.
Square Enix’s Yoshinori Kitase (Final Fantasy series)

This year will still be a preparation year for Final Fantasy VII Remake. I want to create new value for the PlayStation 4 hardware for our next debut.
Square Enix’s Hajime Tabata (Final Fantasy XV)

This year, we will launch Final Fantasy XV. Currently, we’ve decided on all its specifications and are in production of the beta version in order to migrate to the debug phase. You’ll see Final Fantasy XV at its truest during the March release date announcement presentation.
Square Enix’s Shinji Hashimoto (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy series brand manager)

We want to provide even more surprises in 2016.
Sora’s Masahiro Sakurai (Super Smash Bros., Kid Icarus, etc.)

I want to enjoy every day like it’s Sunday. However, that doesn’t mean the next job hasn’t been decided.
Bandai Namco’s Hideo Baba (Tales of series)

This will be the year we announce in detail the content we’ve been preparing for a long time. We want to step out of our comfort zone and take a step forward into a new direction.
Marvelous’ Yoshifumi Hashimoto (Rune Factory, Luminous Arc, Bokujou Monogatari, etc.)

We have yet to announce anything new, but we have several titles in production.
Mistwalker’s Hironobu Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy series, Terra Battle, etc.)

In addition to Terra Battle updates, we’re moving forward on a new title.
Level-5’s Akihiro Hino

In addition to the world deployment of Yo-kai Watch, in 2016 we’ll announce titles with a completely new setting.
genDesign’s Fumito Ueda (ICO, , etc.)

New information on The Last Guardian will come as it approaches its release. I also plan on pushing forward with preparations for what’s next.

Still working with that arm like that, huh? :|

Thread title should have said that the Persona 5 doomsday clock has moved two minutes closer to midnight

I'm curious what it may be. Will he be working on a new IP? Or maybe Nintendo wanted him to head up a sequel that they had in mind? It would make sense, since Sakurai is practically a celebrity developer among Nintendo fans.

Tirod

Oh good lord at Hashino's quote, trolling to the fullest.

Excited to see what Sakurai has on his plate next, and that it isn't super stressful for him.

Kebiinu

Banned
It'll be a ways off before we hear anything concrete, obviously. However, I can't help but anticipate a new Kid Icarus entry. Make it happen!

Edit: Please.

TreIII

Whatever Sakurai does, hopefully, it's much less stressful for him than Smash was.

That said, definitely am interested in seeing what he may be working on next.

1444233857485bzpf0.png

mollipen

There was already a thread (that got closed) about the Persona 5 comment. It's nothing for English speakers to worry about.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Come on, Sakurai! Kid Icarus: Uprising 2. Let Platinum Games help you in the development, if possible!

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Tanaka is at Gung Ho? Why is he listed as Final Fantasy?

Square Enix’s Shinji Hashimoto (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy series brand manager)
We want to provide even more surprises in 2016.

Oh, you Ultima Troll.
The FF7 debacle was unbeliavable. Especially considering they actually announced it 6 months later.

You miss out the most important one, Koei-Tecmo confirming there will be more from Surge Concerto!

Fell in love with this universe across Ciel Summary and Ar. Cannot wait for more.

Oregano

Sakurai kind of suggested that with Iwata gone he might not even work with Nintendo any more. That'd be sad.

PS4, Mobile or browser?

Persona 5 delayed to winter 2017 confirmed.

And that's just considering the Japanese release date. We'll see it released in 2018 in NA and 2019 in Europe.

Neoxon

I was hoping that Sakurai would take a break, lord knows he could use one. But if he really wants to work on another project (likely for the NX Platform), then I can't wait to see what he has in store.

Lelcar

Bandai Namco’s Hideo Baba (Tales of series)

This will be the year we announce in detail the content we’ve been preparing for a long time. We want to step out of our comfort zone and take a step forward into a new direction.

Thank goodness. I really want to see a Tales game that's completely different. I've been bored of every Tales that has come out after Vesperia, so this is promising for me!

Neoxon

Well mobile doesn't rule that out.;)

On a serious note I really wouldn't ignore the possibility that he might go his own way. His last few works with Nintendo have been the result of the close personal bond he had with Iwata.
But to be fair, he seems quite attached to a number of Nintendo franchises (Kid Icarus & Fire Emblem, for example). I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai stuck around in honor of Iwata.

That being said, assuming that the project is for the NX Platform, you guys think the project is Smash 5 or another passion project like Kid Icarus Uprising?

Top Bottom