• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese creators share their 2016 ambitions. Sakurai confirms new project.

It's probably not intentional, but it sounds like even Baba is bored of Berseria and wants to get past it.

Is he even on Tales anymore? I don't remember him being featured at last years Tales Festival like he has been in past years, and the same goes for the recent 20th anniversary event. His name really hasn't been attached to the series since the fallout over Zestiria.

I feel like Sakuari is probably gonna work on something new, not necessarily a new IP or anything like that, but just something he's never done before. I would personally love to see him take another dead Nintendo IP and revive it.

Duck Hunt if he follows the Brawl→KI:U logic(if there's logic).

On one hand, Sakurai deserves a break. On the other hand, some kind of Uprising sequel/HD Remix would be great for NX. On the OTHER hand, maybe he'll work on another franchise reboot and that would be AMAZING.

RE 0 HD is the only remaster among the ones I mentioned. RE 2 Remake is being built from the ground up so doesn't qualify as a remaster in the same vein as RE 0 or REmake. It's also a pretty big project.
They've been pretty open about RE7 being in development. Also, it's been 3 years since RE6 came out. RE6 came out 3 years after RE5. It's common sense that they're working on RE7. They don't make an RE2 remake before RE7.

This still doesn't change the fact that for now both REmake 2 and RE7 are just names and nothing else. Now, if they show something like a trailer then we can count and talk about them. But until then, they don't mean anything.

But honestly with how this gen is turning out to be with delays and all that, deep down I wouldn't really feel comfortable getting my hopes up for actually playing either of them until we have solid release dates.
(pun proves the point)

Zalman

If Sakurai wanted something less stressful, he could always do an HD release of Uprising. The game deserves it and would heavily benefit from it.

I think he's the type of guy who wants to move on though.

Golnei

Duck Hunt if he follows the Brawl→KI:U logic(if there's logic).

Alternatively...

Super-Smash-Bros-Wii-U-3DS-Takamaru.jpg

It worked for Little Mac, after all.

No, it'll be child abuse.

I don't know, she's pretty good with kids.

tumblr_mrh8a0ygst1s7t9bko1_400_by_thedemonlady-d6q64ix.gif

Jawmuncher

It all makes sense now, sakurai is leading the next Metal Gear. He took out snake, so that he could bring in his creations next time with smash. That's pretty clever.

Hatchtag

Banned
Wasn't KI:U started as a prototype without Kid Icarus characters, a la Smash Bros without Nintendo characters? I wouldn't be surprised if his next project starts similarly. Plus if he could get Kid Icarus to sell decently, he probably could get the majority of their IPs to.

Diffense

Kid Icarus Uprising eventually became a million seller which was a nice achievement for a dormant franchise. IMO, it sold on its own merits and did more from the franchise than the franchise did for it.

I'm guessing that he'll be working with Nintendo again and probably making something for the new hardware. Heck, that was probably in the planning stages while he was busy with Smash updates.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Kid Icarus NX would be my dream title honestly.

Just port Smash 4 over to NX and make it cross-play at launch, we don't need a new Smash yet

Kevinroc

Wasn't KI:U started as a prototype without Kid Icarus characters, a la Smash Bros without Nintendo characters? I wouldn't be surprised if his next project starts similarly. Plus if he could get Kid Icarus to sell decently, he probably could get the majority of their IPs to.

Didn't KI:U start as a Star Fox game?

Jackano

In a previous thread I was afraid Sakurai will not necessary work with Nintendo for his next project.
However the way he says it's already decided, make it feel like it's Nintendo again. So, what a relief!

Last time he took care of a forgotten but known IP for the new Nintendo hardware. Obviously his next game is for NX. I feel like that could be Kirby again, or even Fire Emblem. There is no smoke without fire, IMO it's very possible he is doing a FE spin-of.
Other than that it's pure guess.

Fuck no. Kid Icarus needs to remain on rails.

2/3 of Uprising wasn't on-rails. The stage design for ground segments were typically linear, but not "on-rails".

Didn't KI:U start as a Star Fox game?

Not exactly.

The process for KIU's early development process went like this: Iwata wanted Sakurai to make a new non-SSB game for their upcoming handheld (which ended up as the 3DS) and Sakurai came up with an idea for a action game that would switch between aerial and grounded combat, and Iwata suggested they could use a pre-existing Nintendo IP for it. Star Fox was one of the considerations, but ultimately Sakurai went with Kid Icarus as he felt that property and universe fit the style of gameplay he was going for.

So he briefly considered to make it a Star Fox game but ultimately chose Kid Icarus. It wasn't initially a SF game that wounded up being reskinned into KI halfway into development, if that's what you're asking.

Top Bottom