• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

Jazzem

Just backed! Only did $30 for the digital game tier, sure hope this gets funded. Any visual novel that can be compared to Zero Escape in tone and style won't escape my radar!

Shizuka

One third of the campaign has passed and it's been one third towards the goal. If the first ten days barely raised one third of the base goal, they'll have to raise a lot of money towards the last ten days, since the ten days during the middle of the campaign will keep doing worse and worse.

Jazz573

One third of the campaign has passed and it's been one third towards the goal. If the first ten days barely raised one third of the base goal, they'll have to raise a lot of money towards the last ten days, since the ten days during the middle of the campaign will keep doing worse and worse.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/931349-ever17-out-of-infinity/73023062?page=8 GameFAQs thread is just as worried. :p There's actually a number of Lemnisca members who post there.

blacksark

I also think that if it doesn't make it,I'd like that the kickstarter is relaunched but with some things changed in order to make people back for the project, what I don't get either is that the people who post here or in gamefaqs seem to be more interested in the game being funded. Another update showing the new tiers(that were already announced)

Shizuka

I also think that if it doesn't make it,I'd like that the kickstarter is relaunched but with some things changed in order to make people back for the project, what I don't get either is that the people who post here or in gamefaqs seem to be more interested in the game being funded. Another update showing the new tiers(that were already announced)

No, please, no more Kickstarters. It'd be the second failed Kickstarter from Sekai Project.

grim-tales

I dont get why they cant just put it on Steam but charge x amount for it, and pay the translators that way, since everything's already done.

Shizuka

And at this point, a Vita tier would only help if it was enabled with the base goal. If they lock it behind a stretch goal, when they're struggling to meet the base goal, I don't think it'd make any difference.

blacksark

No, please, no more Kickstarters. It'd be the second failed Kickstarter from Sekai Project.

I don't want to see a world where I can't have the english physical version of this game, when I decided to back it few hours since it started I wanted it to be a huge success(achieving stretch goals and so) but it's almost impossible right now and wished that they added vita version later on the campaign. However the lack of news(the only important update was the tiers one but didn't solve high tiers) and other things are making it very difficult and I don't want to miss the oportunity of having the game,so if things go wrong I hope they try to do everything they can as with Narcissu's kickstarter.

Something just doesn't add up.

Say the KS fails. Sekai still has to pay Lemnisca, right?

If Sekai can do that, why the KS?

If they did the KS despite being able to play, can we still get RD even if the KS fails?

If they can't pay without the KS, why did Lemnisca agree to release with them?

blacksark

If they did the KS despite being able to play, can we still get RD even if the KS fails?

We can think about that, but all that are just assumptions or speculations,the easy way is that it gets funded so we don't care if it would have been released or whatever, but reviewing the libra vampire tiers.... there are so many differences that it makes a difference. Alothough I believe that you should back the game that interests you more it's clear that the rewards have become more and more important in the funding process.

Shizuka

That's something I've always asked on the VN topic, that Sekai Project would have to move forward regardless of the Kickstarter failing with these projects that are already moving forward. Same happened with Narcissu, the project was already well on its way before the Kickstarter started.

You're making assumptions here. We don't know that Lemnisca would still get paid, or that Sekai could still afford to pay for the licensing and porting.

You're making assumptions here. We don't know that Lemnisca would still get paid, or that Sekai could still afford to pay for the licensing and porting.

I mean, Lemnisca has to be working under some kind of contract, right? They have to have done TL work by this point, so doesn't it only follow that Sekai needs to pay Lemnisca money for the TL work done so far?

Same goes for Regista, will they have done the porting and licensing work so far in vain and for no pay when (if) the KS campaign fails?

Then again, there's probably some sort of clause in their contract that covers the case of the KS campaign failing- it's just that no such clause makes sense to me under these circumstances?

Please specify what illogical assumptions I'm making because I'm having a hard time finding unfounded assumptions in my reasoning.

icecream

Public Health Threat
They have to have done TL work by this point.
Please specify what illogical assumptions I'm making because I'm having a hard time finding unfounded assumptions in my reasoning.
Uh, the assumption that the game production/localization is already underway?

The KS money is for the budget to pay Regista/Lemnisca... if it fails they don't get paid and no work is done.

Uh, the assumption that the game production/localization is already underway?

The KS money is for the budget to pay Regista/Lemnisca... if it fails they don't get paid and no work is done.

The work is underway because it's supposed to release in March and Lemnisca started translating this a long time ago when it was still a fan project.

We've reached the 50000$ let's see if sekai can give us an update or something to motivate people and keep backing
Yeah, funding has remained stable so there's still some hope that if they can get something to cause a spike this may have a chance of getting funded.

icecream

Public Health Threat
The work is underway because it's supposed to release in March and Lemnisca started translating this a long time ago when it was still a fan project.
Neither of which are requirements that the project has to continue if the KS fails.

Projected release in March if the KS meets its goals. Lemnisca working on it as a fan project means nothing for their time and work as a paid professional project if it's not approved.

Neither of which are requirements that the project has to continue if the KS fails.

Projected release in March if the KS meets its goals. Lemnisca working on it as a fan project means nothing for their time and work as a paid professional project if it's not approved.
Well I agree there and basically said as much earlier in the thread.

IIRC, it was at Anime Expo that this was announced so it is certain that they have done work under Sekai. I really doubt they'd go unpaid, and I am sure that they haven't received any payment beyond the sum asked for by the campaign (which is for paying off the translators, and I don't think any money would be given beforehand at all).

Shizuka

I'm almost sure it'll happen if the Kickstarter fails, but it might take longer, the game might get more expensive, etc.

grim-tales

I dont know if its me but I don't feel as if the music used in the opening trailer for the game fits the tone at all. Can you imagine if say, 999 had launched with a fast bouncy J-pop kind of song in its trailer?

To me the rewards are not satisfying enough. With Clannad I backed 60$ for the physical and get the Arrange Album and the fanbook.

For Muvluv I first backed 150$ and get the Muvluv Trilogy in a signed box, an artbook, the Sumika Figurine, the OST, the game in physical and digital form, a Vita copy and Photon.

Here I get the game digital/physical, the OST and a poster for 150$. I dont know. This KS doesnt offer exciting rewards for "low end" backers.

Is it just me, or do the tiers feel very...boring? And I'm not talking about the content, I'm talking about the actual descriptive text. I appreciate the clarity, that's certainly been a problem with other kickstarters, but having the tier text just be "Digital Game + Digital OST" or whatever feels very...low effort? Generic? Maybe it's not that big a deal, but I feel like it loses some personality or appeal or something like that. Without the personal touch of custom written descriptions of every tier, it almost feels like they don't actually care about this particular Kickstarter that much.Does anyone else get that same feeling?

To me the rewards are not satisfying enough. With Clannad I backed 60$ for the physical and get the Arrange Album and the fanbook.

For Muvluv I first backed 150$ and get the Muvluv Trilogy in a signed box, an artbook, the Sumika Figurine, the OST, the game in physical and digital form, a Vita copy and Photon.

Here I get the game digital/physical, the OST and a poster for 150$. I dont know. This KS doesnt offer exciting rewards for "low end" backers.

To be fair, the figurine was a pretty high-end stretch goal, but even taking that out of the equation, you're right, it still isn't as good a bang for your buck. But SP's kickstarters have always kind of felt that way to me. This is actually the first SP kickstarter that I recall where physical copies include a digital copy by default, which was always an annoyance of mine.

Aku-Audi

150 gets you Digital/Physical game and Digital/Physical OST, Poster, Stainless Steel Mug with Root Double artwork and a Tshirt.

Is it just me, or do the tiers feel very...boring? And I'm not talking about the content, I'm talking about the actual descriptive text. I appreciate the clarity, that's certainly been a problem with other kickstarters, but having the tier text just be "Digital Game + Digital OST" or whatever feels very...low effort? Generic? Maybe it's not that big a deal, but I feel like it loses some personality or appeal or something like that. Without the personal touch of custom written descriptions of every tier, it almost feels like they don't actually care about this particular Kickstarter that much.Does anyone else get that same feeling?

Yeah, it feels like they wrote in what each tier would contain, and then just forgot to actually put any writing for them. It feels lazy, and winds up looking really odd.

takoyaki

I dont know if its me but I don't feel as if the music used in the opening trailer for the game fits the tone at all. Can you imagine if say, 999 had launched with a fast bouncy J-pop kind of song in its trailer?

I think it's just the opening song (and possibly another one for the ending), pretty similar to the other games Takumi Nakazawa directed before. Just check out those opening songs from the Infinity trilogy on PSP: remember11 never7 ever17

blacksark

Uchikoshi giving praise to root double on twitter, don't forget to say that un the next update sekai, and viga and new tiers soon please.

Vanethyr

Yeah, it is a little late :\ rather that than never, I guess. God knows why I'm remaining hopeful, it's likely to just end in disappointment at this rate.

It's not much, but if there was a Vita tier I'd probably put the money I've been setting aside for a new phone towards a higher pledge.

grim-tales

The Senses System sounds an interesting idea.
It would be a damn shame if the base goal is not met. Even Uchikoshi has tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng

Kotaro Uchikoshi Eng ‏@Uchikoshi_Eng 1h1 hour ago

Hi, everyone! Do you know the visual novel game titled "Root Double"?

It's so really awesome game that my best friend @nakazawatakumi and his team created. Now Takumi's team require your support to localize it.
57 retweets 37 likes

Jazz573

The Senses System sounds an interesting idea.
It would be a damn shame if the base goal is not met. Even Uchikoshi has tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng

Kotaro Uchikoshi Eng ‏@Uchikoshi_Eng 1h1 hour ago

Hi, everyone! Do you know the visual novel game titled "Root Double"?

It's so really awesome game that my best friend @nakazawatakumi and his team created. Now Takumi's team require your support to localize it.
57 retweets 37 likes
Really? I thought they didn't get along well.

Top Bottom