• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

Vanethyr

Thanks, I'm not english and didn't know. Anyway that doesn't tell us anything, I think it would have been perfect to make the big announcement today and not tomorrow...(as it seems)

Oops, I had included an explanation about the reference they were making but I was typing on my mobile and I think it cut me short ;_;

Anyways, I think most people recognise its use by one of the guys at Blizzard called Greg Street/Ghostcrawler who'd respond to all questions about the arrival of content and patches for WoW with "soon(tm)" due to that almost always being the response. It pre-dates him using it on the battle.net forums though, and there's a bit more informationhere.

blacksark

Oops, I had included an explanation about the reference they were making but I was typing on my mobile and I think it cut me short ;_;

Anyways, I think most people recognise its use by one of the guys at Blizzard called Greg Street/Ghostcrawler who'd respond to all questions about the arrival of content and patches for WoW with "soon(tm)" due to that almost always being the response. It pre-dates him using it on the battle.net forums though, and there's a bit more informationhere.

Didn't think it had so much story behind,tomorrow we'll have news then(I hope)

Kusagari

The real reason this is struggling is because the tiers blow. It would be making it, vita or no, with better higher tiers.

Remk

I hope those big news are that someone found $50K in their sofa cushions and is putting it towards the kickstarter because this is not looking good.

Maybe Sekai Project just went to the well too frequently? Visual novels fans have a budget too

I hope those big news are that someone found $50K in their sofa cushions and is putting it towards the kickstarter because this is not looking good.

Maybe Sekai Project just went to the well too frequently? Visual novels fans have a budget too

Sekai Project already having a dozen VN Kickstarters that haven't completely fulfilled yet has certainly fed into it. Look at the comments on even gematsu articles. Along with the tiers it's probably a big reason why the average pledge isn't very high compared to other VN Kickstarters.

Knurek

As I said before, I'll instantly back when a Vita port is announced.

If you want to play the game blind without knowing the game's system you should not read this post. We've added 4 filler images. After the images there will be information about the game.

Before we post this next part, we have some BIG NEWS coming up this weekend so stay tuned.....

From one of their updates, I just changed the italics to red color.

Yeah, Vita seems to be happening, the question is whether or not it will be a stretch goal. Hopefully it won't be because it's looking like a Vita boost is this project's last hope.

Vanethyr

mmUmr9A.png

My wallet is ready.

Voliko

I wish this was never monetized. It's gonna be sad if (when?) it doesn't make it. One of the few VNs I would drop everything to play.

Vita tiers are up.

TL;DR: PSVita approved by Sony, Regista, and Yeti, programming will be handled by Regista, will take at least a year to release due to multiple factors. Tiers $225 and up can pledge for it. Also check out the game play video!

Hi everyone, Audi here. I work with our console and handheld developments here at Sekai Project, and I wanted to personally write to you all today as we been working day and night to deliver you today’s announcement.

Today, Regista, Yeti, and Sekai Project are happy to announce that we will be offering a PlayStation Vita port to the campaign. Additionally, I would like to share with you some details what made this development rather challenging for us and why we were not able to add this reward sooner, as well as the results of our constant work. Naturally, the desire to offer our fans a PSVita port was shared among all of us through all parties involved, and has been discussed thoroughly. However, there are a number of significant challenges tied to this becoming reality.
Programming and Licensing

First of all, there are the challenges of Regista adapting the PSVita version's engine to be compatible with the English scripts. It is not a simple task of merely replacing the Japanese text with English text. It is a matter of reformatting the entire engine to accommodate the English script.
This requires full development from Regista with full QA support. Combined with other various factors such as re-licensing the voices for a new region and porting, this means it will take at least a year for it to be released. Thus, the PSVita port won’t launch alongside the PC version this coming March. We understand for some this might like a long wait, but I am personally overseeing and assuring all of you continuous update and insight into the full development of the PSVita port.

Size

The second issue is that the game's size exceeds the size limitations of PSVita’s physical medium (this was the case even with the Japanese version). This means that we can only offer the PSVita version digitally, which for many is a non-issue, but for some let down in a Kickstarter campaign. We want our fans rewarded accordingly as they choose to support our project, and this was a concern for everyone involved which needed to be discussed thoroughly in order to reach a comfortable option for everyone.

Pricing

I also want to break down the pricing for those of you who will look at other campaigns for comparison. In order for us to secure and ensure a PSVita port, we worked together and discussed with Sony directly how to find the most solid solution to realize development. First off, the PSVita port is exclusive to the $225 tier and up.

Reasons for pricing

First, we want to guarantee this reward completely, since we worked very hard to get it added to the campaign. Therefore, it has been placed at tiers $225 and up to ensure that the additional development funds are gathered rather than teasing a stretch goal only for it to potentially not get met, leaving no one happy. Other campaigns that offer PSVita versions as a pledge have often required an amount near 500k or so to help fund development.
However, as faith to our backers we have decided either we have to omit developing the PSVita version entirely or place it at an amount where it can be guaranteed regardless of stretch goals met. We know we are taking a risk with this, but we want to offer what you guys are asking from us.
Secondly, as stated, the game is too big for the PSVita's physical medium, so we are not comfortable adding PSVita to a tier in which there are simply no rewards beyond a digital download considering the limited availability of the physical goods that are exclusive to this Kickstarter and cost of development that comes with this development. Therefore, for your backing of the PSVita, you will receive the assorted rewards that are included with the PSVita tiers that will only be produced for this Kickstarter campaign along with a copy of the game for the PC, all of which you can enjoy while development on the PSVita version is ongoing.

But now, we are here, and we have gotten the approval to add and develop a brand new English PSVita port of Root Double! Everyone on the team has been toiling around the clock to make this a reality. We at Sekai Project and Regista have heard your voices, and never stopped working to find a solution. Now, we can finally say that Root Double will come to the PSVita.

Well, since it's not locked behind a stretch goal and it won't be a limited edition item, I could back the PC version and buy the Vita version when it comes out, I suppose...

Jazz573

$225 for the Vita port?? Ouch, too rich for my blood.

Not interested in the Vita port, but that is too much honestly.

Most of the high tiers suck too. A fanbook and a signed copy should NOT be $1000. For Clannad, the tier for the fanbook was MUCH MUCH more reasonable.

ok the 99 tier is not so bad anymore, i will update my pledge.

but it's really disappointing to see these tiers compared to other VNs on kickstarter...

As much as I want to avoid a comparison... I was getting a lot, a lot more with $150 in the Muv Luv KS.

Yeah. Muv Luv is a franchise with a lot more merch, but well, Kickstarters aren't just free money. You can't just expect many people to back super high tiers if you're not giving them anything for it.

Not interested in the Vita port, but that is too much honestly.

Most of the high tiers suck too. A fanbook and a signed copy should NOT be $1000. For Clannad, the tier for the fanbook was MUCH MUCH more reasonable.
And the fan book is behind a stretch goal that won't be met.

Jazz573

Yeah. Muv Luv is a franchise with a lot more merch, but well, Kickstarters aren't just free money. You can't just expect many people to back super high tiers if you're not giving them anything for it.

And the fan book is behind a stretch goal that won't be met.

That makes it even more depressing.

Tagg9

Ouch! I was expecting $100 at most for a physical Vita version... I seriously cannot afford that and I don't know why anyone wouldn't just wait for the $40 version when it eventually releases on the PlayStation Store.

Rektash

This KS reminds me of why KS isn't the be all and end all of small project funding. I mean, this isn't even about the quality of the product anymore, projects only get funding if you get the right kind of swag with different tiers.

What about funding a great visual novel?

Jazz573

I don't know what happened. Did they forget what made Clannad and Grisaia successful? I don't understand why the tiers are so crappy.

Shizuka

This KS reminds me of why KS isn't the be all and end all of small project funding. I mean, this isn't even about the quality of the product anymore, projects only get funding if you get the right kind of swag with different tiers.

Companies treat Kickstarter as a storefront, I treat their campaigns as a customer.

As much as I want to avoid a comparison... I was getting a lot, a lot more with $150 in the Muv Luv KS.

And I got the trilogy for Vita physical on two carts for only $80. I know the circumstances are different but comparing that to digital only with a bunch of stuff I don't really want for $225 is frankly not something I want to do. They could have at least released a Vita tier without all the extra stuff. Even if it was for a reasonable premium it would have been something I could accept.

Visual novels without an anime adaptation or preexisting fanbase aren't going to have the raw volume of backers to get a base goal this high funded without driving the average pledge pretty high. You need to sell people something to do that.

I don't know what happened. Did they forget what made Clannad and Grisaia successful? I don't understand why the tiers are so crappy.
There's probably a lot less merch to sell and their problems with shipping all of those KS backer rewards for past projects probably made them hesitant too.

Fair enough. You do realize you will get burned with this kind of attitude at some point though, right?
You're likely to get burned far worse spending hundreds of dollars on individual Kickstarter projects.

Ventara

I know, right? This is basically a course in how not to run a Kickstarter. :p

Seems to me they're trying to make up for the few backers they have by raising prices, when they should realize that the reason they have few backers is because of the high prices and unappealing tiers. You're not gonna get the big money with like that. You need to get everyone on board.

Seriously, Muv-Luv was such an amazing kickstarter compared to this.

Seems to me they're trying to make up for the few backers they have by raising prices, when they should realize that the reason they have few backers is because of the high prices and unappealing tiers. You're not gonna get the big money with like that. You need to get everyone on board.

Seriously, Muv-Luv was such an amazing kickstarter compared to this.

The numbers of backers isn't really their problem though, it's the pretty low average pledge for a VN KS. Root Double isn't a known multimedia franchise that's going to get thousands of backers. And the buy in price to get the game is only $30, which is not high at all.

blacksark

Don't know why the only project(with clannad but didn't back)that i follow from sp is the one that more strange things happen. However I still would love this to get funded but things are very difficult.

Top Bottom