• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

This announcement has given the project a decent spike (they're up to 6.7k for the day), it'll just need to have more legs than that considering how far behind they already were.

New e-mail from Sekai:

After this, the rest of the e-mail is just the same as above.

Well they fixed that quickly.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
About the collector's box. Basically the feeling between Japan and such here is that the messenger bag holds all these items and is of premium quality, so that's the collector's box. Bit out of the ordinary but I like the idea personally. But we work together on these tiers, its not a single person decision so please understand that I read your comments, but its not up to a single person to decide these.

I don't think many people would feel the same. You don't really "store" the game in it like the Grisaia box, since the bag is usable beyond just housing the game. However, I do have my Natural Doctrine game and content stored in it, but it's also because it was a good fit for it, and I wasn't planning on using the bag any time soon, really.

Even if there was a sturdy box that houses the game and soundtrack, it would be perfect!

Stuart444

Since I haven't posted anything besides the e-mails in here. I might as well post something about the KS itself:

Basically if it nears its funding goal and I have the money near the time (I can't afford to spend too much atm) then I may back this. Mainly because it looks interesting and my partner seems to really want to play this since it came out in Japan.

Still depends on money when it nears the end of the campaign I guess.

blacksark

This announcement has given the project a decent spike (they're up to 6.7k for the day), it'll just need to have more legs than that considering how far behind they already were.

Well they fixed that quickly.

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what do we have to do in the end for entering in the competition?
It's possible that it gets funded if it manages to get 25K in 8-9 days.
EDIT: i have to mail a letter? That's weird, even more having to send it from Spain :/

Sorry for sounding stupid, but what do we have to do in the end for entering in the competition?
It's possible that it gets funded if it manages to get 25K in 8-9 days.

Didn't you sign up for the newsletter? If you got the 2nd email that just went out you don't have to do anything as long as your kickstarter email and the email your newsletter email are the same. Otherwise you need to send a letter to them.

Shizuka

Added the Vita update to the OP. Otherwise, we'll have to keep watching this campaign closely and see if there will be any more noteworthy updates that can help the campaign meet the base goal.

takoyaki

Hey all,

Regardless of what people think of the tiers and that stuff, that's something we have to meet in the middle on with the developers and such, and we try our best and there's tons of great content there. But with Vita, we are left with few options. RD is not some sort of huge anime franchise which soars past stretch goal after stretch goal. So either we have to guarantee the port at a loss to us, or not do it at all and be even more meany heads for not caring about Vita. So the only option is to include it with other rewards (the price of the Vita port is not 225 by itself) and let those rewards directly fund the development, or nothing. So the Vita tiers go straight to funding the development to make this port possible in the first place, not to jack up the price for Vita just cause.

You're looking at it from the perspective that most people who would be interested in Root Double are already aware of the KS and have already made a pledge if they were interested enough to spend money. If a few hundred of them raise their pledge because of the vita version, the project gets funded.

What some in this thread are arguing is that there are enough people who want the game on vita but haven't made a pledge yet because they aren't interested in a PC version / it hasn't even been on their radar because it's PC only / potential new backers who would like a Vita version but can't afford to spend $225 on it. So the idea is that you will raise more money in total with a $60 or $100 Vita tier that hopefully brings in a good number of those people than with a $225 tier. The cost of localizing the vita port is the same either way.

Could be wrong though, you know your potential audience better than us. Just think about it in case the campaign isn’t funded 48h from the deadline when the reminders go out.

Hope we are all still cool no matter how it all works out.

No worries, everyone just wants this game to get funded.

blacksark

Didn't you sign up for the newsletter? If you got the 2nd email that just went out you don't have to do anything as long as your kickstarter email and the email your newsletter email are the same. Otherwise you need to send a letter to them.

Subscribed now, didn't find it because it was on spam. However I still don't receive the 2nd email.

Aku-Audi

I compiled your feedback in and will share with everyone and keep updating and improving where I can. I did edit out some profanities and such cause we love censorship so much.

Also to the one guy who is posting in here who also sent me a PM saying my girlfriend is ugly conviniently timed with the Vita announcement, I will try to make her improve her looks for you, no promises on that.

blacksark

I compiled your feedback in and will share with everyone and keep updating and improving where I can. I did edit out some profanities and such cause we love censorship so much.

Also to the one guy who is posting in here who also sent me a PM saying my girlfriend is ugly conviniently timed with the Vita announcement, I will try to make her improve her looks for you, no promises on that.

:/ is that true?
Share all the comments and thoughts the soonest you can because we have only 10 days remaining.

On the touchscreen subject again, will Root Double be touchscreen friendly ?

Aku-Audi

On the touchscreen subject again, will Root Double be touchscreen friendly ?

Uhm, I am not entirely sure... But rest assured I will find out for you and see what can be done. I am guessing you are asking about Windows tablets and touch laptops? Vita has some heartbeat vibration feature I believe.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

You should report this to a mod. That kinda thing shouldn't be able to fly here.

Aku-Audi

You should report this to a mod. That kinda thing shouldn't be able to fly here.

User apologized and we compromized by calling me ugly instead.

Just to echo a bit in here. Fully understand the price is high for Vita, but its not the price for the Vita port itself and those tiers go directly to fund the Vita port, with us putting up the rest of the dev costs ourselves after the final tally. The support for Vita so far has been great and I'm working continously to add and improve. I'm happy I found a way to guarantee the port, rather than dangle a carrot at some sort of high price which might not work out.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I backed this. First Kickstarter in a long time. Really hope it makes it.

Aku-Audi

Should the Kickstarter fail, do you have anything in mind for what you'll do?

That would depend on the developer. We are working together here to prove there is interest for the game to come out in English (the game was a moderate success in Japan so its not immidiately apparent to all involved) so should it not get funded its out of our hands to make any decision for the future.

For all the doom and gloom, this bump hasn't stopped yet. It might actually do enough to give them a chance here, especially if the mere presence of the Vita tiers generate some press.

blacksark

@Aku-Audi I've read everything from the vita update etc, and understand that they have to modify some things from the engine and so on, but isn't one full year too much for doing so? Taking into account that the translation will be fully finished by then obviously.

@Aku-Audi I've read everything from the vita update etc, and understand that they have to modify some things from the engine and so on, but isn't one full year too much for doing so? Taking into account that the translation will be fully finished by then obviously.

The schedule is up to Regista and they likely have to squeeze it between other projects.

blacksark

The schedule is up to Regista and they likely have to squeeze it between other projects.

yes, they will be squeezing it between many projects because a one year project costs a lot of money and if they put all their efforts I'm more than sure than that wouldn't take so long I believe.

Aku-Audi

Gentlemen I must retire for tonight, but I will check back tomorrow to answer more questions and PM.

I hope I managed to make some of you understand the reasoning for the price. I don't hold it against any of you to either feel the price is too steep or wait for a PSN release should it get funded anyhow, but my intent is to make the Vita port happen at successful funding regardless of final numbers and rather take the loss of dev cost to ensure it.

It might be entirely naive of me, but just trying to get everyone together to make Root Double the success it should be worldwide whatever it takes, and we're working around the clock fighting timezones and taking feedback so even if you don't like SP, know that we like you regardless. I been a member here for many years so I consider you all buddies even if it doesn't make it.

<3

It's a very surreal feeling to have ~$50 ready for a vita version, but then come to the creeping realization that I'll likely be unable to give it if the kickstarter fails.

Andrefpvs

Shizuka, what do you think about contacting a moderator to add "VITA" to the thread title? That should bring in a few more people to this thread, at least.

So final count for the day, 9.5k and 129 backers. Which is enough that if this bump has any more legs (and it's still moving so it probably will) there's a good chance this gets funded.

So final count for the day, 9.5k and 129 backers. Which is enough that if this bump has any more legs (and it's still moving so it probably will) there's a good chance this gets funded.

I'm definitely feeling more optimistic after today. It will still probably come down to the wire, but if this bump can last a bit longer it can get the project close enough for a final push to finish things off.

I'm definitely feeling more optimistic after today. It will still probably come down to the wire, but if this bump can last a bit longer it can get the project close enough for a final push to finish things off.

If they can get to 100k before the last 3 days they'll probably make it. That'd require this bump to give them some life today and tomorrow and then hopefully they won't quickly drop back to doing 1.5k a day. And there's always the possibility that another piece of press, promotion, or tier change will give it another small bump. A couple of days ago I was thinking that this Kickstarter just needed something to give it an additional 15-20k, and that might be in reach now.

Just saw this, sounds cool. Backed for 30. (I'm in the "I'd go a bit higher for Vita but not quite that high" crowd, but I understand the reasoning.)

Knurek

That would depend on the developer. We are working together here to prove there is interest for the game to come out in English (the game was a moderate success in Japan so its not immidiately apparent to all involved) so should it not get funded its out of our hands to make any decision for the future.

Not that stupid question: Can't you as a company foot the rest of the Kickstarter if it comes out short by a small amount? Like, few k$. Should be able to recoup the investment provided timely Steam release and all (you did get Greenlighted alread).

AFAIR (and unless anything's changed) that's completely allowed by Kickstarter.

(Personally, I'd back it for $30, but alas, no CC. Waiting for it to be funded for Paypal submissions to open)

There's something I still don't understand about this Vita strategy.

Fully understand the price is high for Vita, but its not the price for the Vita port itself and those tiers go directly to fund the Vita port, with us putting up the rest of the dev costs ourselves after the final tally.

The money that comes in from the Vita tiers goes towards the Vita version. So the $225 and $275 pledges will be earmarked for the Vita port and the rest of the cost will be paid by SP.

Why not consider making a dedicated Vita only tier (let's say $75) and send all the money that raises towards the Vita port as well? Ultimately, the goal is to reach the initial funding target of $135k and it doesn't matter whether you get there by one person pledging $225 or three people pledging $75 each. The cost of making the Vita version will remain the same regardless of how many people put their money towards it, but with a lower tier there is a chance more people will be able to afford it.

It's a very surreal feeling to have ~$50 ready for a vita version, but then come to the creeping realization that I'll likely be unable to give it if the kickstarter fails.

I think this might end up being a case where Vita fans have to support the PC version on Kickstarter and then buy the Vita version later. So in your case maybe put $10-30 towards the PC version now and buy the Vita one on PSN for $30-40 later. Obviously this is not at all an ideal situation and you'll end up spending more money than you wanted to but the alternative might be that you never get a chance to buy it at all if the campaign fails.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Nearly $80k now. Hope the latest MN9 drama doesn't put people off

Weird... Could've sworn they were okay with that back in the early days.
Never mind me then.

It does make some amount of sense. Say you're planning on scamming people, but you're not going to meet your goal. You just hit the goal with your own money, lose a small chunk of it to Kickstarter fees, but more than make up for that in the money everyone else gave. Then you take the money and run. It is unfortunate, though. I'd hate to see this one not make it, especially since I'm not currently in any financial position to give it much support.

Top Bottom