• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Root Double - Before Crime * After Days KS ($135k goal/Steam&Vita/Zero Escape-like)

Jazz573

I think it's a bit disingenious to say it's from the makers of Ever17, when Nakazawa is literally the only one involved in both.

wrowa

It sounds really interesting and in theory I'd like to contribute, but truth to be told, I just don't like VNs on PC very much. I like to read them before going to sleep, but playing PC games in bed is kinda difficult. ;p If mouse-only is enough to play the game, I could stream it to my phone, but that is kinda iffy as well.

If this will make its goal, I'll keep my eyes on the Vita version, though,

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Approaching 81k. The pace has definitely picked up. This has a chance of making it now but it still needs one more push of something extra!

Edit: Over 1k just pulled out...

Shizuka

This needs to do an average of 5-6k everyday until the end of the campaign. I hope new tiers might do the trick, because that's the only thing left they can do at this point.

The bump is over and it's slowed down a lot today.
This needs to do an average of 5-6k everyday until the end of the campaign. I hope new tiers might do the trick, because that's the only thing left they can do at this point.
They don't need hit 5k a day, not with how Kickstarters surge at the end. Doing 2.5k a day until the last few days would probably be enough.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
All that happened was a couple thousand got pledged yesterday, dropped, then went back up to where it is :/ It has yet to hit 83k yet. I don't even know anymore :/

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Kicktraq estimates 87% of goal. It's going slower than I'd like but let's be optimistic.

New Vita Tier at $99.
We had quite the response to our approval of a PSVita port, to put it lightly. We saw an incredible passionate reaction from the PSVita consumers out there who love their little handheld with their whole heart, and many who were keen on jumping in to support the localization of this great title. We work around the clock to make sure we can offer you the best options with all of our products.

We explained last time that the price was to assure that development can take place and bring the original dev team back to tackle the undertaking of inserting the increased English script.

The support you all showed us with the announcement of the PSVita port has led to increased faith and determination to make this port possible, and as such, we have permission to include Vita in an all new digital only tier at $99. This wouldn’t have been possible without the support you all showed in the last few days!

This new tier will include both a Steam key and a downloadable PSVita code, with the PSVita port being scheduled one year from now. As we explained last update, this is not a matter of simply putting text into an engine and calling it a day, so proper care and coding needs to take place to accommodate for the significantly increased script size that comes with the English localization. For those who are wondering why there is only a digital option for PSVita is due to Root Double’s substantial amount of voice work which cannot fit on the physical media of which PSVita makes use of. This was the case for the Japanese release as well.

We still need all of your support, so please share this with your friends and favorite communities, and make Root Double possible for us all to enjoy on the platform of your choice. We continue to work hard to bring the greatest visual novels on the market available to all of you, and we hope everyone will come together to make this incredibly unique title available to the entire world. With more support, more doors open, and we are far from done with what Root Double has to offer.

Also we have tier updates! Together we worked out some new prices for the higher end tiers, these also include the PSVita port naturally.

The $5,000 tier is now $1,500 and the $7,000 tier is now $2,000

Check back all week and spread the word, together we can make Root Double a story to remember.

takoyaki

they've added a $99 Vita tier!

The support you all showed us with the announcement of the PSVita port has led to increased faith and determination to make this port possible, and as such, we have permission to include Vita in an all new digital only tier at $99. This wouldn’t have been possible without the support you all showed in the last few days!

This new tier will include both a Steam key and a downloadable PSVita code, with the PSVita port being scheduled one year from now. As we explained last update, this is not a matter of simply putting text into an engine and calling it a day, so proper care and coding needs to take place to accommodate for the significantly increased script size that comes with the English localization. For those who are wondering why there is only a digital option for PSVita is due to Root Double’s substantial amount of voice work which cannot fit on the physical media of which PSVita makes use of. This was the case for the Japanese release as well.

and they've also changed the pricing on some of the high end tiers:

Also we have tier updates! Together we worked out some new prices for the higher end tiers, these also include the PSVita port naturally.
The $5,000 tier is now $1,500 and the $7,000 tier is now $2,000

I'm a bit shocked by the price on the digital only $99 tier. I don't want a PC digital copy, just a copy for my Vita. There's no way it'll be priced at $99USD on the PSN store when it's released, so by backing it now I'll be subsidising the game for people who purchase after release...?

I'm a bit shocked by the price on the digital only $99 tier. I don't want a PC digital copy, just a copy for my Vita. There's no way it'll be priced at $99USD on the PSN store when it's released, so by backing it now I'll be subsidising the game for people who purchase after release...?

That's exactly it. I'm not seeing any reason I should change from my $60 tier that gives me physical and digital PC copies when I can just buy the Vita game on top of it for $30-40 when it releases.

Edit: Shouldn't the "Digital-Only Tier" at least come with the OST or something? That's the only way I could see it offering some kind of value.

That's exactly it. I'm not seeing any reason I should change from my $60 tier that gives me physical and digital PC copies when I can just buy the Vita game on top of it for $30-40 when it releases.

The way they phrase it (permission) makes it sounds like Regista is making some calls about the pricing.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I haven't really been paying much attention to this but I think I'll back at $60 when I get paid since that seems to be a good deal.

Aku-Audi

I'll try to clear this up a bit.

We are doing this at a loss even at funding cause the original dev team is coming back. However we want to guarantee that the port can happen instead of stretch goals and the likes. So it's an effort with us and the fans together to make the port possible to exist in the first place. Me and dovac managed to negotiate new prices with the support they saw so far.

If you don't want to help out making this game available on the PSN and see if they decide to price it at your predicted price later down the road, that's totally respectable.

We are doing this at a loss even at funding cause the original dev team is coming back. However we want to guarantee that the port can happen instead of stretch goals and the likes. So it's an effort with us and the fans together to make the port possible to exist in the first place. Me and dovac managed to negotiate new prices with the support they saw so far.

If you don't want to help out making this game available on the PSN and see if they decide to price it at your predicted price later down the road, that's totally respectable.

Yeah, I don't mean to be overly negative, I just don't particularly like not getting anything physical, so I probably won't be backing that tier.

Also, since it's a $99 tier should backers get their names in the credits?

Aku-Audi

Yeah, I don't mean to be overly negative, I just don't particularly like not getting anything physical, so I probably won't be backing that tier.

Also, since it's a $99 tier should backers get their names in the credits?

We asked for them to clarify this. And please check back all week since we are in constant discussions for how to fulfill everyone's wishes for rewards. Don't be afraid to suggest ideas either.

Update: Yes Steam+Vita digital tier comes with name in credits.

Thanks to that it just hit 2/3 funded ($90,000). With 8 days left to go, that's a pretty good sign considering the surge at the end, right?

Yes. The finals days usually resemble the opening ones. Based on that I've been saying that this needs to hit 100k before the final 3 days and that looks really likely now. With 8.5 days left, and this bump from the new tiers and Vita pricing still ongoing, this will probably get funded.

blacksark

Thanks for all you're work and reconsiderations etc. We're going to make it :3
One question, would it be possible putting voice work as a download for psn so a physical game could happen?

Shizuka

I just want to point out that there is some inconsistency with the initial tiers vs the added tiers that should be corrected ASAP. Things like:

Pledge $99 or more

30 backers Limited (1 left of 31)

Digital/physical game + physical/digital OST

And:

Pledge $99 or more

116 backers

Digital/physical game + physical/digital OST + Stainless Steel Mug + Your Name In The Credits

Why is one limited and the other isn't? Why is the limited one worse than the open one?

It's not just there:

Pledge $200 or more

1 backer All gone!

Digital/physical game +physical/digital OST + poster + tapestry

And:

Pledge $200 or more

4 backers

Digital/physical game + physical/digital OST + Stainless Steel Mug + Your Name In The Credits + Poster + T-Shirt + Tapestry

Again, same situation as above.

And here:

Pledge $225 or more

4 backers All gone!

Digital/physical game +physical/digital OST + poster + tapestry + mini-shikishi

And:

Pledge $225 or more

36 backers

Digital/physical game + physical/digital OST + Stainless Steel Mug + Your Name In The Credits + Poster + T-Shirt + Tapestry + Messenger Bag + PSVita Port + Mini Shikishi

And here:

Pledge $275 or more

10 backers All gone!

Digital/physical game +physical/digital OST + poster + tapestry + mini-shikishi + blanket

With:

Pledge $275 or more

18 backers

Digital/physical game + physical/digital OST + Stainless Steel Mug + Your Name In The Credits + Poster + T-Shirt + Tapestry + Messenger Bag + PSVita Port + Mini Shikishi + Blanket

I don't know if in the end, all backers for the same price range will get the tiers with the most items or not, but it's something that looks sloppy on a Kickstarter campaign. That's the one change I could point out, because the rest looks very well taken care of.

It looks like this should get funded now, given that it's hit $92,000 with 8 days left. It might still be a little close, but I think it will make it.

georly

Geez, I want this on vita since I like VNs on handhelds but 99 bucks for a vita game? Eesh. I'll think about it. I know that this is probably the only way they could do it, even at a loss, but that's still asking a lot. I'll bookmark it and figure out if I can back in within the next week.

I just want to point out that there is some inconsistency with the initial tiers vs the added tiers that should be corrected ASAP. Things like:
I don't know if in the end, all backers for the same price range will get the tiers with the most items or not, but it's something that looks sloppy on a Kickstarter campaign. That's the one change I could point out, because the rest looks very well taken care of.

I think it's because KS doesn't allow you to REMOVE pledge points. I assume the equal price ones will get the same stuff, but who knows.

You can't change the description for already active tiers, so they just limited them and put new ones with the updated descriptions. No one is getting screwed, it's just a limitation of what Kickstarter allows changed. It is sloppy, but they understandably don't want to delete the old tiers and lose money.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
You can't change the description for already active tiers, so they just limited them and put new ones with the updated descriptions. No one is getting screwed, it's just a limitation of what Kickstarter allows changed. It is sloppy, but they understandably don't want to delete the old tiers and lose money.

I noticed it yesterday and just moved my pledge over to the one with the mug. A reminder might be nice, since I didn't even know that the new tiers were made till I checked.

grim-tales

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-crime-after-days-xtend-edition/posts/1475355

So now you can get digital copies of both the PC and Vita versions for $99. Yay. But you don't get your name in the credits or anything.

Also those ridiculously priced high tiers that nobody bought into are a bit less ridiculously high now.

I backed the one with my name in the credits (and, I think, PC and Vita versions and a mug). But why is that also $99, the same price as one where you get less?
Edit: Oh I see, you cant change tiers that are already active.

Rektash

Joke's on you Sekai Project! Just preordered Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Storybook Edition. That money could have been yours!

Oh well, on the off chance that you decide to grace us with paypal I will still throw you some money. It's up to you!

Quixzlizx

Joke's on you Sekai Project! Just preordered Valkyria Chronicles Remastered and Odin Sphere Leifthrasir Storybook Edition. That money could have been yours!

Oh well, on the off chance that you decide to grace us with paypal I will still throw you some money. It's up to you!

Paypal doesn't really make sense while the campaign is going on, considering you can't conditionally pledge money through Paypal, unless I'm mistaken.

Rektash

Paypal doesn't really make sense while the campaign is going on, considering you can't conditionally pledge money through Paypal, unless I'm mistaken.

Why couldn't this work via Paypal preapproved payments? Works for Steam + Paypal and quite a few other services/shops! I remember buying the Corpse Party: BloodDrive Limited Edition in the Marvelous EU shop and they didn't bill me until they shipped the game. There are ways to make this work via Paypal.

Shizuka

Why couldn't this work via Paypal preapproved payments? Works for Steam + Paypal and quite a few other services/shops! I remember buying the Corpse Party: BloodDrive Limited Edition in the Marvelous EU shop and they didn't bill me until they shipped the game. There are ways to make this work via Paypal.

But if the campaign didn't meet the goal, they'd have to remove the charge on your CC.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Well since the above is confirmed about pre-paid Visas, was that not something you could have done than saying "joke's on you"?

Aku-Audi

We are working very hard on something for the final days. Before I head into the final negotiations, maybe you guys can tell me what you would most want to see done for the final few days? Any rewards you'd like to see, any changes you'd like to see?

Share it with me and I will take it to heart and go into the final battle for you.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still interested in a collector box, like what my copy of Grisaia got, with maybe a small artbook to go with it? I'll put in more monies that way!

Top Bottom