• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Proxy/VPN Discussion |OT| Discuss the use of Proxies and VPNs with Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zou

If all of our content were globally available, there wouldn’t be a reason for members to use proxies or “unblockers” to fool our systems into thinking they’re in a different country than they’re actually in. We are making progress in licensing content across the world and, as of last week, now offer the Netflix service in 190 countries, but we have a ways to go before we can offer people the same films and TV series everywhere.

[...]

Some members use proxies or “unblockers” to access titles available outside their territory. To address this, we employ the same or similar measures other firms do. This technology continues to evolve and we are evolving with it. That means in coming weeks, those using proxies and unblockers will only be able to access the service in the country where they currently are. We are confident this change won’t impact members not using proxies.

https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/evolving-proxy-detection-as-a-global-service

------------

Going to be interesting to see how many members they lose the following quarter.

Future

They have to do this. They have to respect movie industry region locks if they are going to keep making deals with the movie industry

I guess that'll affect everyone that uses popular services (i.e unotelly) but it's impossible stop someone owning a random $5 VPS located in the U.S setup as their own proxy/DNS service.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Haven't used proxies for months and I'm fine with Netflix UK. There's a bunch of shit I've never seen and I'm slowly making my way through it all. In comparison to other regions, it is partly awful, admittedly.

Hopefully VPNs from the same region don't fall under this. Netflix should see the difference in streaming speeds for me when I use VPN vs when I do not use VPN.

Struct09

Crappy, but it's hard to blame Netflix here. I imagine they are under a lot of pressure from the places they get their content from. I bet they would love to serve up as much content as they possibly could.

zou

I guess that'll affect everyone that uses popular services (i.e unotelly) but it's impossible stop someone owning a random $5 VPS located in the U.S setup as their own proxy/DNS service.

Nope, they can just block ASN and/or IP ranges if they were really determined.

They have to do this. They have to respect movie industry region locks if they are going to keep making deals with the movie industry

The movie industry needs to revisit their region locks. It's the 21st century. Their product will reach regions they aren't offering it in yet one way or another.

Netflix gotta do what they gotta do.

Jacknapes

I'm sure the "proxies" will figure a way to get through the wall, if not then Netflix will lose a lot of subs. And piracy will rise again.

they've had this before and activly fought against it as they knew a lot of thier customers did this but if this goes ahead well at which point my netflix subscription will be removed,

It always seemed silly to me that if I walk across the border to the states and get on a US IP, I can watch US Netflix content even though I live in Canada, and using a proxy to achieve the same is somehow HORRIFYINGLY BAD.

I mean, I pay Netflix a monthly fee.

RdN

That's expected, really.

Not too long ago there was an article, I think it was from those Sony Pictures leaks, where studios were putting hard pressure on Netflix for it to block people using solutions to access content from other regions.

I don't think I'll cancel Netflix right away, but will probably cancel unblock-us after they charge me for a full year.

Bummer though. :(

kind of shitty for folks like my parents who used to live in the US and that's where their netflix account is from, but they moved to Saudi Arabia due to work, and Netflix with a proxy is the only way they can enjoy the Netflix from back home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom