• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Proxy/VPN Discussion |OT| Discuss the use of Proxies and VPNs with Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Sucks for people short term, but maybe this leads to good things long term? Like the same catalog around the world, no matter where you live? Or maybe lower prices?

Mashing

It's not hard to block VPN's. A VPN is going to have certain headers in a packet that can be discovered using deep packet inspection. It's trivial to block it at that point.

Jacknapes

I thought they "tried" this last year, guess it's another "attempt". I'll see how it goes with mine, could be days or weeks before anything could happen. And as an earlier message says, i'm sure the proxies will just change IP's and Netflix will just do 2 1/2 year or 1 full year purge.

Honestly, Netflix have a lot to lose in terms of sub numbers. If they offered a world-wide sub for twice what i'm paying, i'd sign up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
expected. Hopefully this means countries start to get better selections.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
damn... i hope playmo.tv can sort it quick

Also, I just paid for one year of getflix. Ugh, me and my bad life decisions.
So...this is all your fault! I don't think it's a coincidence that this happened after you did that.
Yep in terms of recent movies, Canadian Netflix is by far the best.
Ah, so as of recently it's better for movies. How good is it for shows though? I watch shows more than movies.
Hulu does it pretty efficiently, they detect most of not all vpn connections trying to fill them.
Yea, I use Hola Unblocker, it works everywhere except Hulu. I wonder if Netflix will block it...

Carcetti

Wanna know why this sucks for a horror fan?

I don't live in the USA but I used to watch a lot of horror rentals and buy discs in specialized shops. I had a regionless dvd player (gone for good now) which made it easier to buy the stuff they never imported to our region (which was a lot).

Then Netflix came. The two rental stores we had here went bankrupt. The DVD stores closed one by one. I practically stopped watching horror until I got a US Netflix VPN and found the selection there is staggering. In comparison if I click on my own Netflix horror section there's couple of dozen of the most mainstreams films everyone saw 20 years ago (Arachnophobia, End of Days, Faculty, Nightmare on Elm Street, motherfucking Anaconda, Scary Movie). Oh yeah, all the arthouse movie theaters also went bankrupt.

So in short, they erased all the competition and made sure I can't watch the films I wanna watch in any legal way.

Red Devil

South America I hope you like telenovelas because that's all you're going to watch on your Netflix from now on

Huh? In South America(at least in Argentina) I don't see that many telenovelas and the catalog, it isn't like the US one but it isn't as bad as the UK one appears to be.

Oppo

it was always in the wind, a shame though. I know they don't want to do it.

their answer is simply to fund everything themselves, then they sign their own global rights. so far it seems like a pretty good plan.

I used to hop back and forth between CA and US netflix all the time but the selection varies wildly on both sides of the "fence".. sometimes US is better, sometimes CA is better, and all subjective of course.

entremet

Netflix needs to through legal channels to get the content and these deals are usually single region.

Don't blame Netflix, blame the antiquated construct called the nation state, it's truly an outdated idea in the internet age.

nOoblet16

What's the point of a VPN if the website you access using it can tell you are using a VPN ?

It's not hard to block VPN's. A VPN is going to have certain headers in a packet that can be discovered using deep packet inspection. It's trivial to block it at that point.

China does this and that's why most VPNs just don't work there.
Although I wonder if there is a way to get around this.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Sweden is great with movies but without Canada, UK and USA it's simply a good service. It's not like I'm going to stop subscribing if they start blocking but it'd be a shame. I doubt though that this golden reign can last. Too much pressure from suits.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"If all of our content were globally available, there wouldn’t be a reason for members to use proxies or “unblockers” to fool our systems into thinking they’re in a different country than they’re actually in."

Yeah. Exactly. And Swedish Netflix is utter shit compared to US or even UK Netflix. I still don't use a proxy often, because there's still quite a lot I do want to watch from the Swedish library (and I avoid looking at the US library too much to spare myself the sadness), but we'll see how this develops.

Sweden is great with movies ...

...it is? Sure, there's some stuff. A handful of pretty recent movies. But overall it's not great. The library of series is better.

Screw the movie industry and their shitty region locking. I get its there for rights issues and legal things I don't understand but its still really shitty

I'm guessing they're just blowing smoke to make all the entertainment companies happy. I feel like they threaten to do this like all the time and nothing ever changes. Why does the movie industry even care about this kind of thing? I mean the alternative is going to be piracy.

asagami_

Banned
I am happy with my Netflix catalog (Mexico, btw) so this don't affect me really. Bad for those who are affected, though.

deleted

This sucks so much. I can't watch TV-shows like Hannibal or Penny Dreadful on German Netflix - they are badly cut.

Currently there are only 40 of 110 titles on my List available in Germany. Enforce that block and I'm gone. And that's pretty sad, because I was a nonstop subscriber for years, even before it came to Germany - and I really like the service. Especially because it allows me to legally watch a lot of shows around the world.

That sucks but I totally get why they're doing it because the content creators they have to make deals with to get get content have them over a barrel.

Then why aren't all the video streaming sites blocking VPN's? Heck, why hasn't Netflix done it until now?

And why doesn't, say, China block it's citizens from using VPN's to get around firewalls?

I thought one of the points of VPN's is that they were very hard to detect.

number11

Is worldwide licensing even possible? The UK for example, Sky are definitely not gonna give up their exclusive deals with movie studios easily.

I thought a new European union law was to come to effect that wouldnt allowing them to block foreign proxys within Europe? I noticed they have implemented this thing weeks ago already since I wanted to check the US Netflix due to the lack of X-Files.

Netflix is a business, beholden to local laws and regional licensing rights.

I strongly doubt Netflix is happy about losing customers as a result of this. They probably don't even want to do it considering it'll cost them a lot of money with lost subs.

Netflix would probably prefer to have one, single, universal, world-wide catalogue accessible to everyone. But they don't have the power to do that with anything except their own original Netflix content.

Everything else has to be negotiated with through the individual movie companies. Everything is timed. Everything is regional. It's all a big PITA, but that's the way of the world.

LordOfChaos

First the Cad, then this...

sadcanada.jpg

hom3land

Curious if it would affect someone like me who has us account with the $12 4 active users and shares with in laws in Europe. Or is this simply cracking down on vpn

What pisses me off are the language options. I wouldn't need a DNS if I could consistently get Spanish audio in Canada. I use it to help my kids keep up their language.

deleted

That sucks but I totally get why they're doing it because the content creators they have to make deals with to get get content have them over a barrel.

I don't really understand this argument. I'm paying for Netflix, Netflix is getting my money. It shouldn't matter where I watch it and I use the service, because I can watch shows that are somewhere around the world on Netflix.
I can't do that anymore? I'm out, I'm not a paying customer anymore and Netflix is now getting none of my money. And it's not a policy that's encouraging potential new customers to come onboard, like a switch to no more parallel viewing - nobody will take my place because of this change.
They will end up with less paying customers because of this policy which gives them less money to buy new licenses.

I don't really understand this argument. I'm paying for Netflix, Netflix is getting my money. It shouldn't matter where I watch it and I use the service, because I can watch shows that are somewhere around the world on Netflix.
I can't do that anymore? I'm out, I'm not a paying customer anymore and Netflix is now getting none of my money. And it's not a policy that's encouraging potential new customers to come onboard, like a switch to no more parallel viewing - nobody will take my place because of this change.
They will end up with less paying customers because of this policy which gives them less money to buy new licenses.

They're getting pressure from movie and TV studios. It's not like they're doing this to piss off customers. Otherwise the movie and TV studios will go to Amazon or some other streaming service that abides by region.

It's not about the customers though, it's what their business partners want. They don't give a damn if Netflix loses customers.

My unpopular opinion? That's completely fair, and it's also completely fair that licensing means different content is available in different countries.

I don't understand why licensing is such a difficult concept to grasp for many people.

I agree with your unpopular opinion. I also like the refrain throughout this thread that this will increase piracy, which is ironic since using a proxy to access content that would normally not be available to you is, itself, a form of piracy. I'm not a big fan of international copyright laws or the way media companies set up exclusive deals that prevent content from being legally available to people in certain areas, but I don't think that gives users the moral high ground to legitimize piracy as though there was some nobility in accessing content that media companies don't want to sell you. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, but it's completely fair for Netflix to try to close that loophole. It's also fair for users to vote with their wallets; if Netflix has shitty offerings in your region, absolutely cancel and let them know that you're not paying until certain content is made available.

A-V-B

Um, won't this just make people angry that Netflix is less convenient? I mean, convenience is what a service is supposed to provide. Without it, people have no reason to use it.

Kosma

Banned
This sucks so much. I can't watch TV-shows like Hannibal or Penny Dreadful on German Netflix - they are badly cut.

Currently there are only 40 of 110 titles on my List available in Germany. Enforce that block and I'm gone. And that's pretty sad, because I was a nonstop subscriber for years, even before it came to Germany - and I really like the service. Especially because it allows me to legally watch a lot of shows around the world.

Its not legal if you use a proxy.

Someone bought the rights for germany and you are robbing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom