• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Proxy/VPN Discussion |OT| Discuss the use of Proxies and VPNs with Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
They have to do this. They have to respect movie industry region locks if they are going to keep making deals with the movie industry

It's not even the movie industry that's the one who is getting mad about this; it's the cable companies / networks that own the broadcast rights for said content.

Slaythe

I don't get it.

Who cares if the rare english speakers from France Spain Italy and whatever are accessing US Netflix ?

They have no localized versions on that, so it can't be such a big problem for them ? Like how many people are fluent and can enjoy movies without subtitles ?

It literally only alienates the people that do need it because their store is pathetic (hello french Netflix) and that have no use for localized content.

They do this i'm out of their service. Simple as that.

Like I'm absolutely going to torrent if I want to see something so it's not like they are going to win anything.

If people know how to set up a proxy they know how to use a torrent. If you don't want my money fine.

Carcetti

My unpopular opinion? That's completely fair, and it's also completely fair that licensing means different content is available in different countries.

I don't understand why licensing is such a difficult concept to grasp for many people.

Yeah, that works great in theory.

In practice, licensing just means that different content is simply not available in your region, because nobody is licensing it. As I said in earlier post, Netflix and other streaming services destroyed the local distributors and made sure there's nobody else left to do the job. When people have been taught for years that this content is available and should be available, they're not gonna go 'oh that's fair'. They're gonna torrent.

Imagine if Steam suddenly stopped working for games in your country.

Gorger

I started using Smartflix which is currently in beta and is temporarily free. Basically it unlock all of Netflix's content into one program so you don't have to hassle with changing VPN's and unblockers. When they go out of beta it will be a single purchase of 7 dollars, so I wonder how they are gonna get around this if Netflix puts their foot down. The program is frigging amazing though and the UI is designed more inline with popcorn time. (Of course you need a netflix account and it's not illegal to use) Better check it out while it lasts.

Anyways, you can also say bye bye to my subscription as well. We have one of the worst Netflix selections available and most of our movies and TV-shows doesn't even come with English subtitles.

Kinokou

I'm not a tech head, but can they tell the difference of using a proxy to unlock content you shouldn't have and being in other countries happily using their local selection? I have been using my account when travelling and it will be a bummer if that won't work anymore.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's not even the movie industry that's the one who is getting mad about this; it's the cable companies / networks that own the broadcast rights for said content.

Semantics. They are the same companies, just different t divisions.

kiguel182

In practice, licensing just means that different content is simply not available in your region, because nobody is licensing it. As I said in earlier post, Netflix and other streaming services destroyed the local distributors and made sure there's nobody else left to do the job. When people have been taught for years that this content is available and should be available, they're not gonna go 'oh that's fair'. They're gonna torrent.

Because we live in a connected world.

Paying the same as other countries for less/different content makes no sense. Getting content late or not at all just doesn't fly in a world where everyone (no matter where they live) is connected to the entire world 24/7.

woolley

I don't get it.

Who cares if the rare english speakers from France Spain Italy and whatever are accessing US Netflix ?

They have no localized versions on that, so it can't be such a big problem for them ? Like how many people are fluent and can enjoy movies without subtitles ?

It literally only alienates the people that do need it because their store is pathetic (hello french Netflix) and that have no use for localized content.

Like I'm absolutely going to torrent if I want to see something so it's not like they are going to win anything.

If people know how to set up a proxy they know how to use a torrent. If you don't want my money fine.
Because Netflix has contracts to get the movies and shows on their service. They have to honor their contracts so they have to block people from accessing content from outside their region.

Protome

They say this literally every year to keep their licensing partners happy.

If they ever actually succeeded the drop off in their revenue would be astronomical though. At least in the UK, using VPNs to watch the good version of Netflix isn't just something nerds on the internet do, pretty much everyone does it regardless of technical savvy.

LiK

i feel bad for people outside a particular country. more people will end up just pirating stuff now.

flkraven

My unpopular opinion? That's completely fair, and it's also completely fair that licensing means different content is available in different countries.

I don't understand why licensing is such a difficult concept to grasp for many people.

Because it's an antiquated practice that has next to no relevancy in the 21st century.

I don't really understand this argument. I'm paying for Netflix, Netflix is getting my money. It shouldn't matter where I watch it and I use the service, because I can watch shows that are somewhere around the world on Netflix.
I can't do that anymore? I'm out, I'm not a paying customer anymore and Netflix is now getting none of my money. And it's not a policy that's encouraging potential new customers to come onboard, like a switch to no more parallel viewing - nobody will take my place because of this change.
They will end up with less paying customers because of this policy which gives them less money to buy new licenses.
The problem is that Netflix signed a contract in order to get their movies that details where they are allowed to broadcast their content.

If they are caught intentionally broadcasting movies somewhere they don't have rights to do so, then they can get sued.

In practice, licensing just means that different content is simply not available in your region, because nobody is licensing it.

Not the case for most of the content we are discussing here. The movies that people are talking about streaming from out-of-region into their US Netflix account is available here. It just isn't available on Netflix...

Because it's an antiquated practice that has next to no relevancy in the 21st century.

Because we have a right to all-you-can-consume media for a flat fee, with all content, everywhere.

That's so entitled.

Hulu has a deal with FX in US to exclusively be the only streaming service with their shows. It's bullshit since US Netflix had the shield for so long.

How is that bullshit? Companies pay to develop content. Companies pay to license content. They get to monetize it how they see fit because they own it, because they paid for it. If I own something, I don't want anybody telling me how I can sell it. It's mine.

I don't get it.

Uh it can also be used for people from the US to access any local Netflix with different content.
Or from any English speaking country to another. And plenty of non-native speakers that use it too.

It is not a small group or anything.

Also the torrent argument goes up for the entirety of Netflix anyway. Why pay for Netflix if you can torrent?

Kosma

Banned
Yes its very antiquated to pay taxes in the country you are doing business and make sure local laws are respected

I want all my danish crowns to fly directly to the usa and support the us taxpayer

Why would I want to want to support crazy danish things like a year paid maternity leave and free universities

Jebusman

Banned
Why is The Shield not available in the US, Netflix? Why?

This is an entirely different problem, which is the number of streaming services popping up that each have exclusive rights to certain shows/movies/whatever.

Effectively, they are going to slowly mirror what television actually is, but merely do it online instead.

Also the torrent argument goes up for the entirety of Netflix anyway. Why pay for Netflix if you can torrent?

It's a matter of arguing convenience versus cost. For many people, the low(ish) cost of Netflix is enough to outweigh the hassle of having to (or having to LEARN to) torrent movies, to them the convenience is worth it.

If now, thanks to blocking proxies/DNS tricks, you have a much more limited selection of stuff you could watch (relative to before), that "convenience" may no longer be worth it, and piracy would increase as a result.

kiguel182

Not the case for most of the content we are discussing here. The movies that people are talking about streaming from out-of-region into their US Netflix account is available here. It just isn't available on Netflix...

Because we have a right to all-you-can-consume media for a flat fee, with all content, everywhere.

That's so entitled.

I'd say I'm entitled to get the same product as someone else if I'm paying the same money.

You are paying for the same price everywhere so it would be expected that the product is the same, logically speaking.

If they want to offer me a much smaller poll of shows then don't make me pay the same as other people do for much better content.

Kosma

Banned
I really dont get why people think its ok to steal

If a show is not available in your country is because someone paid money to distribute it there

If you use a proxy to watch it anyway you are stealing

Tabris

Will it matter much in the end?

Pretty sure Netflix is moving to an original content + low-cost licensing features (documentaries for example) model. Didn't they recently drop an expensive but large catalog of movies in favour of their original programming.

So once that model is in full effect, then country specific licenses won't matter as much since netflix will own most of it.

Carcetti

I wish. Rental stores, gone. Genre DVD stores, gone. Arthouse/horror cinemas, gone. I have Netflix, HBO and Viaplay subs currently and they all have goddamn abysmal non mainstream / genre / horror selection here. They're good if you're watching lots of series, but the movie fare is mostly the mainstream stuff that's been repeating on normal tv for years.

I'll put it here really simply for those who go 'lol you stealing': The industry players have made sure I can't give my money to anyone.

I'd say I'm entitled to get the same product as someone else if I'm paying the same money.

You are paying for the same price everywhere so it would be expected that the product is the same, logically speaking.

If they want to offer me a much smaller poll of shows then don't make me pay the same as other people do for much better content.

You aren't entitled to anything. Period.

Also, Netflix US has more shows, Netflix Canada has more movies.

netflix has a lot of smart engineers they have spent no time up to now working out who is using unblock services etc but clearly something has changed. Perhaps now they are in every country, they are now forced to take notice of right holders.

They CAN detect VPN use, even a single private VPN: you can inspect latency, and you can look at diminished packet size. I imagine with the volume of data they have they can easily inspect usage over time and instantly ban everyone using paid services like unblock.us then start to ban people who constantly use what is most likely to be a private VPN.

I don't know if they'll go as far as wacking private VPNs but I'm under no illusion that you can always defeat geo-blocks, instead, if you can do it, they're just turning a blind eye.

Kosma

Banned
It's a good thing no one pays for Netfli

Oh wait we do pay for Netflix.

You either are trolling or dumb and cant read whats being posted

You are paying for access to your local netflix and their selection of shows

If you use a proxy you are stealing from the people that have the rights to those shows in your territory

It doesnt matter you pay netflix because the rightholder doesnt get paid in the right place

El Topo

I don't use a VPN, I have criticized the practice in the past, but if you take a look just at how much more (or newer) content is available (in general) on Netflix USA or Netflix Canada compared to every other region, it's not hard to see why people would use a VPN. I read kiguel182's post as a "I pay as much money as an American, but I only get maybe a third of the content" complaint.

I wish. Rental stores, gone. Genre DVD stores, gone. Arthouse/horror cinemas, gone. I have Netflix, HBO and Viaplay subs currently and they all have goddamn abysmal non mainstream / genre / horror selection here. They're good if you're watching lots of series, but the movie fare is mostly the mainstream stuff that's been repeating on normal tv for years.

What I'm saying is these movies that aren't on Netflix US but are on Netflix Canada, the mainstream content that so many are crying about, they are on Playstation, they are on Amazon et al. But you pay to rent or own.

Every brat thinks they are owed every movie and show they want to see for $10-$12 a month flat fee. They aren't.

Goldmund

I understand why they'd do that, but if there's money to find a way to block users accessing content from other territories, why isn't there money to at least find a way to allow these people to select which territory they want to access?

I'll let my subscription expire for now. The selection we have in Germany and Sweden is pretty dismal.

Ryne

Just signed up. I wasn't going to try to access the American netflix, but I thought that would be a good option in the future if I didn't like the Canadian one.

I'll still give it a shot though.

kiguel182

I'm paying for the product. I'm paying exactly the same money as everyone in the US. So why is my product inferior? And why can't I do anything about it?

I'm sorry if some people live in an alternate universe where the internet doesn't exist but that just doesn't fly today.

If I'm buying a game from the US instead of one in my country am I filthy pirate to?

Symphonia

Banned
You either are trolling or dumb and cant read whats being posted

You are paying for access to your local netflix and their selection of shows

If you use a proxy you are stealing from the people that have the rights to those shows in your territory

It doesnt matter you pay netflix because the rightholder doesnt get paid in the right place
Oh, shut up.

Alienfan

When free streaming is 100% legal in most countries i have no idea why movie studios make it so hard for us to watch their content in ways that money goes to the original creators.

Carcetti

What I'm saying is these movies that aren't on Netflix US but are on Netflix Canada, the mainstream content that so many are crying about, they are on Playstation, they are on Amazon et al. But you pay to rent or own.

Every brat thinks they are owed every movie and show they want to see for $10-$12 a month flat fee. They aren't.

It's pretty different in a very small country that doesn't have English as an official language. There's not enough money on the market for anyone to care. You can see it in localizations as well. The Netflix subs here are deteriorating and slowly reaching Google translate levels because they've stopped paying for professional translators.

I'm paying for the product. I'm paying exactly the same money as everyone in the US. So why is my product inferior? And why can't I do anything about it?

Move to a country that has the product that you want.

Be warned, you may find things like bread, milk, and gas cost a lot more, there are tradeoffs.

Sometimes even video games cost more....

ZombieLPK

Hopefully this is another case of them saying they'll do more to appease the content providers and then not actually doing much about it. If they're serious about it though I'll more than likely cancel since UK Netflix is somehow managing to get even worse than it was, since they're not renewing the contracts for a lot of the US shows, and almost all of the Channel 4 stuff is gone.

kiguel182

"If you use a proxy you are stealing" except according to, you know, the law.

At this point you are stealing unless you pay the highest price for a product in your region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom