• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Proxy/VPN Discussion |OT| Discuss the use of Proxies and VPNs with Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

I understand why they'd do that, but if there's money to find a way to block users accessing content from other territories, why isn't there money to at least find a way to allow these people to select which territory they want to access?

Legal reasons. There are contracts and there's virtually nothing they can do about that.

I'll let my subscription expire for now. The selection we have in Germany and Sweden is pretty dismal.

It really is. I have a Netflix subscription, but it's not so easy to justify. Then again, competition in Germany is significantly worse.

"If you use a proxy you are stealing" except according to, you know, the law.

At this point you are stealing unless you pay the highest price for a product in your region.

You are deliberately breaking a contract. Let's not pretend that using a VPN to circumvent these mechanics is completely legal.

Kosma

Banned
Move to a country that has the product that you want.

Be warned, you may find things like bread, milk, and gas cost a lot more, there are tradeoffs.

Sometimes even video games cost more....

Also you could find no social security etc..

But try to explain this to people that feel entitlef cause they pay 15 bucks

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I'd say I'm entitled to get the same product as someone else if I'm paying the same money.

You are paying for the same price everywhere so it would be expected that the product is the same, logically speaking.

If they want to offer me a much smaller poll of shows then don't make me pay the same as other people do for much better content.

No you are not.

There are over 50M US customers who are paying to ACCESS US Netflix content versus you're said country. Of course the library choice will differ as less revenue and consumer base = less money to spend on acquisitions for your said country.

How is that hard to grasp? You should benefit the content that 50 million + americans are subsidizing for your sake? No.

kiguel182

Move to a country that has the product that you want.

Be warned, you may find things like bread, milk, and gas cost a lot more, there are tradeoffs.

Sometimes even video games cost more....

That's hilarious given you have no idea where I'm from.

Also doesn't change the fact that I'm paying the same as everyone so receiving less for my money is still unfair.

And using proxies is not illegal. There's that to.

holygeesus

Banned
You either are trolling or dumb and cant read whats being posted

You are paying for access to your local netflix and their selection of shows

If you use a proxy you are stealing from the people that have the rights to those shows in your territory

It doesnt matter you pay netflix because the rightholder doesnt get paid in the right place

You aren't taking anything away from the rights holder, because Netflix has already licensed the content. They have their money.

JoseLopez

Not the case for most of the content we are discussing here. The movies that people are talking about streaming from out-of-region into their US Netflix account is available here. It just isn't available on Netflix...

Because we have a right to all-you-can-consume media for a flat fee, with all content, everywhere.

That's so entitled.

How is that bullshit? Companies pay to develop content. Companies pay to license content. They get to monetize it how they see fit because they own it, because they paid for it. If I own something, I don't want anybody telling me how I can sell it. It's mine.
hulu is been doing this for while but they hardly develop their own content but instead just buy lincenses and lock them down exclusively. I have Hulu and Netflix so doesn't really affect me but it's still a shitty business practice.

muteki

I really dont get why people think its ok to steal

If a show is not available in your country is because someone paid money to distribute it there

If you use a proxy to watch it anyway you are stealing

You are 100% certain this is true in every case?

I'd be surprised if random jdrama is not on US netflix because <company> paid to show it elsewhere in the US.

Aiii

So not worth it
"If you use a proxy you are stealing" except according to, you know, the law.

At this point you are stealing unless you pay the highest price for a product in your region.

I also hate that people consider it a bad thing that you want to pay for content, when the alternative is either buying shows per season on30 dollar dvd's or pirating.

They are trying to push an archaic model that is anti-consumer in an effort to maximize profits, rather than optimizing service and still making a profit. Which they are allowed to do, but will backfire on them either way.

kiguel182

No you are not.

There are over 50M US customers who are paying to ACCESS US Netflix content versus you're said country. Of course the library choice will differ as less revenue and consumer base = less money to spend on acquisitions.

How is that hard to grasp? You should benefit the content that 50 million are subsidizing for your sake? No.

You realize I'm paying for that content to the same company?

Nobody is subsidizing me. I'm paying exactly the same,to the same source.

Painting proxy users as free loaders is hilarious. And false too.

Gorger

I don't get it.
Like I'm absolutely going to torrent if I want to see something so it's not like they are going to win anything.

This is my prosess :

First I check if whatever I want is on Netflix -- If it's not on Netflix then I'll check HBO. If it is on either Netflix or HBO then I'll check if it has English subtitles -- If no to all above then I'll go to Popcorn Time which luckily has yet to fail me thanks to 'torrent collection' and subscene.

Since most new shows take ages to arrive in my country and Netflix is super slow at releasing new seasons unless it's their own shows makes Popcorn time my primary
program for watching ongoing TV-Shows. Losing Netflix is not a huge loss for me, but I want to support them as long as I have access too their whole library. Though I am already pretty pissed at Netflix restricting us to 720p if we watch it on Chrome or Firefox.

That's hilarious given you have no idea where I'm from.

Also doesn't change the fact that I'm paying the same as everyone so receiving less for my money is still unfair.

And using proxies is not illegal. There's that to.

It doesn't matter where you are from. What I'm saying is there are tradeoffs everywhere. Some products and services are better values in different places.

It doesn't matter of proxies are illegal, they deprive owners and licencors of intellectual property of their rights (think criminal versus civil here). Netflix is doing the right thing which is protecting the rights of these IP rightsholders.

PrawnyNZ

This sucks. Hopefully just lip service.
Just in case will have to binge the new season of Parks and Rec this weekend. NZ Netflix has a rubbish catalogue.

Symphonia

Banned
Why don't Netflix offer another tier (£5/$5 more) where users can choose which region to access? More money for Netflix, consumers are kept happy.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Why are studios so adamant on not allowing people to legally view things?
I am sure a lot of people will now unsubscribe from netflix.

kiguel182

I also hate that people consider it a bad thing that you want to pay for content, when the alternative is either buying shows per season in 30 dollar dvd's or pirating.

They are trying to push an archaic model that is anti-consumer in an effort to maximize profits, rather than optimizing service and still making a profit. Which they are allowed to do, but will backfire on them either way.

Yeah, making people who are paying for the service villains just because they don't want to pay more in their country and comparing them to pirates is really vile.

And you are right, they have every right to do cut DNS blockers and everything. As I have every right to not pay for Netflix.

Kosma

Banned
You aren't taking anything away from the rights holder, because Netflix has already licensed the content. They have their money.

You couldnt be more wrong if you tried.

House of Cards for example is a Netflix show but they sold the rights to it in for Poland to Canal Plus.

Canal Plus paid big bucks for this.

Now if you have netflix in Poland you cant watch House of Cards cause it was sold to Canal Plus.

So you need to sub to Canal plus to watch it.

If you use vpn proxy to watch the show via Netflix in another country how can Canal plus make money? How did they get paid?

They cant and you are stealing from them.

entremet

Why are studios so adamant on not allowing people to legally view things?
I am sure a lot of people will now unsubscribe from netflix.

Licensing. Plain and simple. Licensing deals are per jurisdiction, which is usually per country.

They don't have infinite cash, so they have to make sure regional deals makes sense for that audience.

And no, a lot of people won't unsubscribe. This is a small set of ultra power users.

asagami_

Banned
People realize that when the time flies, the series/movies selection surely will be bigger than when the services was launched, right (what I think that happening in Europe/Asia)? And even if I want to "cancel" the service (I don't want do it really, just being blocked of their content by an undefined time), the moment that I want to return I just need to pay a single month.

House of Cards for example is a Netflix show but they sold the rights to it in for Poland to Canal Plus.

Now if you have netflix in Poland you cant watch House of Cards cause it was sold to Canal Plus.

If you use vpn proxy to watch the show via Netflix in another country how can Canal plus make money? How did they get paid?

Nailed it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Licensing. Plain and simple. Licensing deals are per jurisdiction, which is usually per country.

They don't have infinite cash, so they have to make sure regional deals makes sense for that audience.

And no, a lot of people won't unsubscribe. This is a small set of ultra power users.

More than 30 million Netflix subscribers use Netflix through the use of a proxy server. GlobalWebIndex showed about 20 million of these users come from China alone

Netflix has 70 million subs.

kiguel182

It doesn't matter where you are from. What I'm saying is there are tradeoffs everywhere. Some products and services are better values in different places.

It doesn't matter of proxies are illegal, they deprive owners and licencors of intellectual property of their rights (think criminal versus civil here). Netflix is doing the right thing which is protecting the rights of these IP rightsholders.

But that's the same as saying I should shop in a store that's more expensive and less convenient vs in a supermarket to support local commerce. Or saying I shouldn't use Uber and support taxi cabs instead.

The old way of doing licenses is shocking with the new way the world is connected and I don't need to feel bad for bypassing those old restrictions in a legal matter.

I'm still a paying costumer of Netflix and I pay exactly the same as everyone else.

You can call me entitled or whatever you want but the global model is the future and you can't just ignore globalization when it suits you (like content providers are doing). As long as it's legal and it's the best alternative for me to acess that content then I won't feel bad about it as much as there's a movement to do so.

Sane_Man

As if I'm gonna pay more in the UK than people in the US pay to watch a gimped, lesser amount of content. It's a shame because I love the Netflix service but I'm not getting ripped off. Bye Netflix.

smuf

I'll be forced to cancel my subscription if they go through with this. Our local Netflix selection is godawful.

Blue Lou

Didn't Netflix also say that in future, they'd only buy the rights to programmes providing they can do so for all regions? This would be in line with that approach.

Fbh

Well time to unsuscribe then.

Netflix latin america was already pretty bad and now I moved to place where it's even worse.

Being able to access US Netflix is what may be worth it. Will pay for a month once the new season of Daredevil and Better call Saul hit

kiguel182

Didn't Netflix also say that in future, they'd only buy the rights to programmes providing they can do so for all regions?

That's the future but they aren't there yet. They will push for it for sure.

Netflix has zero interest in ending proxies until they can provide a more global service. They only lose money doing that.

Surely they have the capacity to strike a deal with the distributors and pay them a fee to allow us to make that choice? I'm willing to bet a lot of people will pay the higher tier to access different regions.

Every country has unique licensing laws and revenue collection systems - many of them beyond a studio's control. Why is this so hard to understand?

El Topo

Surely they have the capacity to strike a deal with the distributors and pay them a fee to allow us to make that choice? I'm willing to bet a lot of people will pay the higher tier to access different regions.

No. Even if we entertain the idea that they somehow convinced distributors about this and were able to circumvent existing contracts, how many people would pay $40 more per month for global content?

holygeesus

Banned

It's a fair point. Well made.

Reading Variety, it claims that 30,000,000 users worldwide use VPN/DNS spoofers to access Netflix material, with 2/3 of them coming from China. Are they going to basically wipe out 21,000,000 subscriptions then? I can't see it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
You realize I'm paying for that content to the same company?

Nobody is subsidizing me. I'm paying exactly the same,to the same source.

No you are not.

You're paying the subsidiary of Netflix of you're said country which reallocates that source of revenue for acquisitions of that said country.

Netflix US has a greater array of content because it has a bigger consumer base and revenue which allows them to get a bigger library.

Paying the same price as your American counterparts does not entitle you to the same benefits as the economics are different (50M+ paying for that library versus what less than a million, of course the library will differ)

It's a fair point. Well made.

Reading Variety, it claims that 30,000,000 users worldwide use VPN/DNS spoofers to access Netflix material, with 2/3 of them coming from China. Are they going to basically wipe out 21,000,000 subscriptions then? I can't see it.

Well they're either lying or not. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

sora87

Well this is stupid. They need to find a way to make their selection universal or it's simply not worth it for most countries.
I just hope some unblocking services figure a way around it or I'll have to unsub.

Jebusman

Banned
You either are trolling or dumb and cant read whats being posted

You are paying for access to your local netflix and their selection of shows

If you use a proxy you are stealing from the people that have the rights to those shows in your territory

It doesnt matter you pay netflix because the rightholder doesnt get paid in the right place

I work for an ISP/Telco/Cable Company in Canada.

I 100% fully understand how rights, and rightholders work.

I'm also going to tell you that licensing laws are incredibly fucking arbitrary and benefit literally no one except for the people pushing to have them.

Especially in the internet age, when you take broadcasters out of the equation. The ONLY reason it still exists is because US companies hold out on local distributors paying them more than Netflix is willing to. It's not like they need to find a Canadian distributor to eat the cost of broadcasting it, Netflix is doing all the work! (Aside from CDN partnerships with ISPs of course).

The more people defend the practice the more and more it approaches being a corporate apologist.

Zalasta

My issue is not with the different content available between regions, but rather that I can't use my Netflix account when I travel overseas. It would be different if they dynamically make content available according to where I am logging in from, but I simply have no access to the account I am paying for, that to me is ridiculous.

RulkezX

It never ever fails to amaze me how many Big Corp fanboys there are on here.

OT - I'll probably unsub if I'm restricted to UK content, it'll suck losing Netflix but hey-ho. Hopefully sometime in the near future the old men in suits running these companies will realise that (exclusive) regional licensing is ridiculous in this age and that they ate activley turning people who want to pay towards piracy.

kiguel182

No you are not.

You're paying the subsidiary of Netflix of you're said country which reallocates that source of revenue for acquisitions of that said country.

Netflix US has a greater array of content because it has a bigger consumer base and revenue which allows them to get a bigger library.

Paying the same price as your American counterparts does not entitle you to the same benefits as the economics are different (50M+ paying for that library versus what less than a million, of course the library will differ)

The account I use is a US one since it was created before there was Netflix here.

The accounts are universal too since you can use them in whatever country you want. You can have people from two different countries sharing the same account.

What you are describing isn't what's happening really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom