• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Proxy/VPN Discussion |OT| Discuss the use of Proxies and VPNs with Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank god I have a vpn through my job that is based in the states. Usually these vpn thwarting technologies are nothing more than blocking ranges of ips that are known to be from vpn services. My job vpn isn't likely to make it on their radar. I just won't be able to use private Internet access on my home computers to do this anymore since my work vpn is only available on my work laptop. Oh well.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was about to post that hopefully it is just Netflix talking out their ass to try and keep the movies studios happy.

They'll half-ass it, I reckon. Just block whatever is around now and then when the services change their IP's wait half a year for another round of blocking.

Hulu actively blocks things and I have had 0 problems using it for these past years.

It's a shame that big production companies don't want my money to the point where they're trying to go out of their way to force me from paying to watch stuff, though. It's a hassle.

Well, this isn't the worst thing. At one point all I did was watch American Netflix but lately I find Canadian Netflix is often just as good, if not better.

flkraven

If I pay $5 a month for a VPN service, how in the heck are they going to stop me from viewing any country I want? Seems like posturing to keep film exects happy

I wonder if they ever did a worldwide membership at something 2x or 3x sub price
would people be into that.

They can't. Netflix doesn't care at all in what ways people watch their content after they pay them. It's the external content owners that care because they have different domestic contracts for each country, and so they have to force netflix to block proxies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They'll half-ass it, I reckon. Just block whatever is around now and then when the services change their IP's wait half a year for another round of blocking.

Hulu actively blocks things and I have had 0 problems using it for these past years.

It's a shame that big production companies don't want my money to the point where they're trying to go out of their way to force me from paying to watch stuff, though. It's a hassle.

I'm pretty sure Netflix has been "fighting" VPNers for awhile now. Just never actually took it seriously.

My unpopular opinion? That's completely fair, and it's also completely fair that licensing means different content is available in different countries.

I don't understand why licensing is such a difficult concept to grasp for many people.

I guess that'll affect everyone that uses popular services (i.e unotelly) but it's impossible stop someone owning a random $5 VPS located in the U.S setup as their own proxy/DNS service.

So there's this user in the USA that connects to Netflix... oh he's in South Korea now. Oh now he's in Germany. Oh suddenly he's in Norway. Oh suddenly he's in South Africa.

It's not hard to notice someone switching regions all the time.

kiguel182

If my DNS stops working in a couple of weeks then my Netflix subscription does to. I don't use my country's offerings because they are bad.

I love Netflix, shame this is happening.

This fucking sucks. Australian Netflix is awful and has about 1/10th of the content America has. I ONLY use it for US netflix. :(

How do you even block proxies and VPN's?

kiguel182

My unpopular opinion? That's completely fair, and it's also completely fair that licensing means different content is available in different countries.

I don't understand why licensing is such a difficult concept to grasp for many people.

Because we like in a connected world in 2016 and it makes no sense that's why.

People understand licensing, they just think it's dumb.

If my DNS stops working in a couple of weeks then my Netflix subscription does to. I don't use my country's offerings because they are bad.

I love Netflix, shame this is happening.

They're seriously going to lose hundreds of thousands of subscribers. Almost everyone in Australia uses the US netflix. And they wonder why Australia pirates so much? We find ways to pay for the content and still get fucking shut out.

T-Rex.

Banned
Lol. I'm out if this happens. UK Netflix is terrible compared to the USA one so no way would I carry on subscribing.

Didn't they say the same thing last year? And then nothing happened, so I'm not too worried just yet.

number11

Not surprised. Although all their original content is still worth a subscription from me. All the other licenced movies/tv shows are just a nice bonus.

German Netflix is at least pretty good, but there is still quite a lot of movies and series' on the US Netflix I would like to see.

At least I got to see Galaxy Quest and the Comedy Central seasons of Futurama.
It is a stupid decision, though. I know they are bound to licenses but the whole concept of licenses being tied to countries is a concept that should be dead and burried in this day and age.

kiguel182

I'm curious to see if the friends I'm sharing the account with will keep subscribing if our DNS blockers die.

For 3,50 euros I might give them a chance but 10 euros for my regional content just isn't happening.

Why can't Netflix just allow users to choose which region to subscribe to? Or make a premium sub which allows some flexibility, or something.

The rights to distribute different content is owned by different companies in different regions. Take for example, Studio Ghibli is distributed in the USA by Disney. Conversely, some movies or shows in the USA have been licensed to other companies in other regions. When you stream Netflix from another region, the royalties do not get paid to who owns the rights in your actual region. It's very simple. It's a form of stealing content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom