• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation VR "World War Toons" young girl gets to play demo in her home.

Raist

Banned
fyrm0dbnyjvrc62qf7.gif

teiresias

Still the slickest looking VR solution. I thought there was like recommended minimum ages for VR use though - mainly because of eye development concerns?

Cre8

You want a shot at the champ? [NG gif winner July 23]
She wants to try it again at the end, so that's a good sign.

Still the slickest looking VR solution. I thought there was like recommended minimum ages for VR use though - mainly because of eye development concerns?
I was just thinking the same thing. Also, as a dad, I don't think I want to introduce VR to my kids too young. Maybe I'm being dumb, but that's a level of immersion I don't think I would want to expose them too at that age.

Edit: Well according to Babycenter (the source of most of my knowledge now and days) children's eyes are pretty much fully developed by 3. So VR isn't really an issue for kids. Interesting. I thought that was the whole deal with the creation of the 2DS.

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-for-my-child-to-watch-3d-movies-and-video-games_10346992.bc

M52B28

Banned
I'll be honest, I was very underwhelmed with that game in VR. It just doesn't fit VR at all. Maybe they have changed it around, but what I played felt like a mess.

RexNovis

Banned
That short video did a better job selling me in the potential of PSVR than literally everything else I've seen so far. Consider me impressed.

Good to PSVR in a home environment and see a normal person use it, not just someone from Sony or a developer, looks like it works very well, she seems to be having no problems using it.

vermadas

There is some divisiveness on the age cutoff. Oculus is saying minimum age 13. Considering the enthusiast market the consumer version is targeting, they can probably afford to be more aggressive with the restriction to make sure their ass is covered.

Some googling led me to this post on the Oculus forum:
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15673#p206394

From Stereoscopy and the Human Visual System (2013) :

"We may need to be particularly cautious about long-term effects of vergence–accommodation conflicts on younger children, because their visual systems are still developing. We know of no specific causes for concern at this time, but the research required to identify relevant issues has not yet been done. It is reasonable to assume that vergence–accommodation coupling exists because it is beneficial, so we should be cautious when systematically disrupting its natural operation. The ZoC could be measured in children in the same way it has been measured in adults. Clearly, however, it would not be acceptable to carry out the long-term experimental studies that would be required to understand any potential long-term effects."

From Fine and coarse stereopsis follow different developmental trajectories in children (2012) :

"These results suggest that coarse stereopsis matures before 4 years of age, but fine stereopsis continues to mature into the school-age years. [...] performance was immature until age 12, at the finest disparity tested"

From Sparing of coarse stereopsis in stereodeficient children with a history of amblyopia (2013) :

"most studies agree that stereoacuity is still immature at 5 years of age and reaches adult levels between 6 and 9 years of age"

Nine years old is probably fine. But we still don't really know about potential long term effects. My kids are four right now, and I definitely won't be letting them try VR for a couple years at least, just to be safe.

Minions

There is some divisiveness on the age cutoff. Oculus is saying minimum age 13. Considering the enthusiast market the consumer version is targeting, they can probably afford to be more aggressive with the restriction to make sure their ass is covered.

Some googling led me to this post on the Oculus forum:
https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15673#p206394

Nine years old is probably fine. But we still don't really know about potential long term effects. My kids are four right now, and I definitely won't be letting them try VR for a couple years at least, just to be safe.

Trying VR is not going to hurt anyone. Prolonged use may. I highly doube there are any issues using VR for 10~ minutes at a time a couple times a week regardless of age. They are right to suggest a youngest age limit, since parents are known to lack the ability to "parent".

Koh

Seemed like the degree she was turning her head was not being matched by what was shown on the screen. Most notably when she was turning corners. Am I off base with this?

TalonJH

Saw this video last week. Very cute.

I actually didn't see the game at PSX but it was there.

Seemed like the degree she was turning her head was not being matched by what was shown on the screen. Most notably when she was turning corners. Am I off base with this?

I was told that you aim with your head. I believe i works similarly to a mouse in this game. so looking to the right starts to tun you to the right.

Also, since the screen is only showing what one eye is seeing, perspective may be slightly off.

jett

D-Member
Here's what I get out of this demo.

A future where the entire world is afflicted by torticollis is upon us. Chiropractors gonna get paid.

Boy, it's going to be so weird when kids start growing up in a world where this is commonplace. The future equivalent of people not knowing a time before television, or later the internet.

Nosgotham

yeah looks way off, like it didnt match at all. really bugs me. she turned her head 90 degrees to the right but in game its like 45 degrees

dock

Did she experience any sickness from this demo? Uncoupled FPS movement is often a pretty bad experience.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dock said:
Uncoupled FPS movement is often a pretty bad experience.
As long as the movement matches the look direction it's tolerable - it's difficult to tell for sure but that's what appears to be happening most of the time in the video.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Does PSVR offer an IPD adjustment? I can't imagine how it would be possible for a young child to use it otherwise.

Top Bottom