• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

JoeM86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F46tGehnfo

Here you go guys. No reveals or anything.

Extended from the one we'll get on the 7th
The Pokémon Company International today unveiled a new TV commercial that will air during Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, February 7. The ad, shot in Rio de Janeiro, explores ambition, drive, and training, concepts that every Pokémon Trainer is familiar with. It celebrates the millions of Pokémon fans around the world who will enjoy identifying all of the hidden Pokémon references in the ad. It ends with a call to action for all those who strive to achieve their dreams: Train On. A 30-second version of the ad will be aired at the beginning of the third quarter of Super Bowl 50. An extended version can be viewed at Pokemon.com/20.

“For 20 years, the Pokémon world has inspired fans to train hard and have fun,” said J.C. Smith, senior director of Consumer Marketing at The Pokémon Company International. “This ad is reflective of that passion, and I can’t think of a bigger stage to share this story than the Super Bowl.”

Made by Omelet, a Los Angeles-based creative agency, the Pokémon 20th TV commercial will also be featured in the upcoming CBS special Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials. This annual show, which will air on February 2 at 8:00 p.m. ET, revisits fan-favorite commercials from past Super Bowls and also gives a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Pokémon Super Bowl advertisement.

The ad is part of a yearlong campaign celebrating 20 years of Pokémon. First introduced in Japan in 1996 with the video games Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green for the Nintendo Game Boy system, Pokémon has delighted fans of all ages around the world for two decades. With more than 275 million video games sold worldwide, 21.5 billion TCG cards shipped to 74 countries, and an animated series spanning 18 seasons, Pokémon is one of the most successful entertainment brands in the world. More details can be found at Pokemon.com/20. Fans visiting the site throughout the year will find information about monthly Mythical Pokémon distributions, retail events, special products, messages from some of Pokémon’s biggest fans, and the upcoming Pokémon Photo Booth app.

Pokémon. Twenty years. Train On.

Kyzer

Banned
Looks cool, digging the lowkey general Pokemon promotion. Really makes me wonder what they have up their sleeves.

Neoxon

So it's just a generic 20th Anniversary commercial. Not bad, but I was hoping for some kind of reveal.

That was lame af. Sorry. That coliseum battle should have been Nidorino vs Gengar, and transformed into the original Pokemon Red/Blue opening, followed by the 20th Anniversary logo.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hnnnggg that was awesome. I really want a Pokemon Stadium 3 after that last bit at the stadium 😭😭😭

JoeM86

So it's just a generic 20th Anniversary commercial. Not bad, but I was hoping for some kind of reveal.

Said it before but they would never have revealed a game in a commercial during the Super Bowl. There was always like zero chance of that.

It's weird that it doesn't advertise anything outside of the brand.
Very little actual Pokemon in the commercial, don't think anyone that's not interested in the series would get hooked because of this.
Also the CG is bad. Kind of a waste of a SB commercial

udivision

Pokemon Go was delayed, wasn't it? Not that we had a solid date before or anything...

Edit: Why did I think it had Spring 2016 window?

Mendrox

That was lame af. Sorry. That coliseum battle should have been Nidorino vs Gengar, and transformed into the original Pokemon Red/Blue opening, followed by the 20th Anniversary logo.

Too easy I guess? Would have been the fucking best thing ever.

Edit: Also the music is cut off? I guess that is not the full real thing ;)

Nightbird

There was a thing in an Ingress video that said early 2016, but there has never been anything concrete.

It has always been "2016".

We never got any updates on the Beta that was supposed to start in Winter 2015, so I think a delay is not too far fetched.

The Ad was cool though.

qatak

Neo Member
does a 1:10 commercial imply that they're not showing us 20 seconds at the end? or does CBS allow ad buys not in multiples of :15?

JoeM86

We never got any updates on the Beta that was supposed to start in Winter 2015, so I think a delay is not too far fetched.

Probably, but that came from an Ingress report so I'm not leaning on it as the bastion of confirmation

does a 1:10 commercial imply that they're not showing us 20 seconds at the end? or does CBS allow ad buys not in multiples of :15?

They say it's the Super Bowl Commercial. If there was more, they'd be saying "First Look" (other than on the Twitter) and "Preview" rather than an absolute.

I'd be incredibly surprised if we get anything more.

That didn't make any sense.

It shows person doing stuff completely unrelated to Pokemon, running, being good at Chess and football. Then the next person watches and says "I can do that". No where in those video clips is Pokemon even hinted at. It's more like the person is saying that can become great at Chess or Football.

udivision

I wish they had a stronger mobile presence or something. I'm betting Clash of Clans and Game of War get huge boosts to downloads after the Super Bowl ads. I wonder if this is going to even help things if they didn't mention anything by name or had a "try for free"
Pitch for people to download and play during halftime.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Literally nothing.

XYZ's hype stuff is making me more interested in the anime than this :/

killroy87

It shows person doing stuff completely unrelated to Pokemon, running, being good at Chess and football. Then the next person watches and says "I can do that". No where in those video clips is Pokemon even hinted at. It's more like the person is saying that can become great at Chess or Football.

Haha I wouldn't take it too literally. Determination and hard work have been values at the front of Pokemon since day one, this is just applying those to a wider audience.

I honestly didn't know what some of you expected, a one minute Pokemon montage of games through the years? That would appeal to about 1% of the audience watching.

Crayolan

Well its definitely made for Americans.

Have you ever seen a Super Bowl commercial?

Galava

I don't think this is the superbowl commercial they will show the 7th, is too long... Pay a 1:10m ad for nothing to actually sell or announce? Seems odd.

Nightbird

I think it's supposed to say "you see what great stuff the person on TV is doing right now? You can do that."

Its probably supposed to be some sort of motivational advert by the Pokémon company.

Lunar15

Commercial spoiler, in case someone didn't watch it?
The whole idea of a football team having a sign that says "Like No One Ever Was" is endlessly hilarious to me.

Top Bottom