• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

No. You reveal things to the right audience.

The general public who watch the Super Bowl couldn't give two craps that Pokémon Z is now revealed.

They're celebrating the 20th anniversary. They made this advert to help celebrate it.

Not everything is about reveals.

By that logic they won't care about this ad at all then and its a colossal waste of money

And who do you think watches the Superbowl?

jholmes

They're celebrating the 20th anniversary. They made this advert to help celebrate it.

Not everything is about reveals.

People aren't tuning into the Super Bowl to celebrate Pokemon. They're tuning in to watch football.

Just because Pepsi and Budweiser do this stuff doesn't mean it makes sense for video games.

To be fair this is the brand which revealed their last mainline game by dropping a random trailer on youtube.

You realize most Pokemon reveals were in CoroCoro magazine before that right? Pokemon has NEVER had huge media blitzes for reveals, probably because TPC possesses common sense and knows that EVERYONE knows about Pokemon and no matter how it's revealed it'll be picked up by games media without spending millions on it.

Also this is an Anniversary commercial. Not sure what you guys expected

-Horizon-

The football guys' helmets actually have Blaine's badge design. Or I think that's his cinnabar badge.

Edit: Also Moomoo milk and rare candy(?) in japan

Pokémon is more than a mobile spin-off, and that spin-off won't be what people think it will be.

I should have clarified my stance on it, if TPCi or Nintendo or whoever want to use the 20th anniversary to play on nostalgia and get Pokemon back to it's level of popularity as it was in the late 90s and early 00s (which is highly unlikely now) then I feel they should've utilised the positive buzz they got from the GO announcement last year in the commercial a bit more, just look at the view count on the trailer for it.

I personally detest the idea of GO and Pokemon going mobile in any form, but that's just my personal taste. If it gets the franchise back into the mainstream and experiences a resurgence in popularity then that's not a bad thing at all. But the fact is, there is a large chunk of Pokemon 'fans' - see also: the kids that played in the 90s, grew out of it, still love RBY but 'anything after Mew, doesn't count' (that's an actual quote btw) - who while may have expressed an interest in GO, have zero interest in XYZ, or any other media that doesn't pander to the original generation.

RBY coming to the virtual console, while something that will certainly bring a few older fans back in, is not what these kind of people want for the plain reason being it's on the 3DS. The amount of times I've seen people say 'why isn't RBY on the app store! I want to play it on my phone!'. That's what people who loved the originals back in the day want. Which is why GO appealed to them. It played on the nostalgia of gen 1 with a new gimmick using a device that everyone and their mother owns.

As far as the commercial goes for advertising the brand, then yeah it was serviceable. And if that's what Nintendo or TPCi wanted then good for them. What a find baffling is why waste such an opportunity to get GO in the faces of so many more people than those who initially heard about it (and have probably forgotten it's a thing happening).

But ultimately, I don't really care. As long as they main games stay on the dedicated Nintendo handheld then I'm satisfied.

JoeM86

I should have clarified my stance on it, if TPCi or Nintendo or whoever want to use the 20th anniversary to play on nostalgia and get Pokemon back to it's level of popularity as it was in the late 90s and early 00s (which is highly unlikely now) then I feel they should've utilised the positive buzz they got from the GO announcement last year in the commercial a bit more, just look at the view count on the trailer for it.

I personally detest the idea of GO and Pokemon going mobile in any form, but that's just my personal taste. If it gets the franchise back into the mainstream and experiences a resurgence in popularity then that's not a bad thing at all. But the fact is, there is a large chunk of Pokemon 'fans' - see also: the kids that played in the 90s, grew out of it, still love RBY but 'anything after Mew, doesn't count' (that's an actual quote btw) - who while may have expressed an interest in GO, have zero interest in XYZ, or any other media that doesn't pander to the original generation.

RBY coming to the virtual console, while something that will certainly bring a few older fans back in, is not what these kind of people want for the plain reason being it's on the 3DS. The amount of times I've seen people say 'why isn't RBY on the app store! I want to play it on my phone!'. That's what people who loved the originals back in the day want. Which is why GO appealed to them. It played on the nostalgia of gen 1 with a new gimmick using a device that everyone and their mother owns.

As far as the commercial goes for advertising the brand, then yeah it was serviceable. And if that's what Nintendo or TPCi wanted then good for them. What a find baffling is why waste such an opportunity to get GO in the faces of so many more people than those who initially heard about it (and have probably forgotten it's a thing happening).

But ultimately, I don't really care. As long as they main games stay on the dedicated Nintendo handheld then I'm satisfied.

GO is nowhere near ready. That's probably why.

By advertising the 20th anniversary, including the 20th anniversary website at the end, it actually manages to do it all.

We both know GO will disappoint anyway. That trailer was so hype, but the game will be nothing like that.

Ōkami

The football guys' helmets actually have Blaine's badge design. Or I think that's his cinnabar badge.
yyDo0ac.png

latest

I was wondering for most of it what this has to do with Pokemon. A really different commercial coming from them. I assume they got some new people to make this one.

Crayolan

You realize most Pokemon reveals were in CoroCoro magazine before that right? Pokemon has NEVER had huge media blitzes for reveals, probably because TPC possesses common sense and knows that EVERYONE knows about Pokemon and no matter how it's revealed it'll be picked up by games media without spending millions on it.

Also this is an Anniversary commercial. Not sure what you guys expected

I know. That's the point, they reveal games in weird ways all the time, a super bowl ad wouldn't be that surprising. I'm not saying they should, but I'm also not saying its impossible.

All of the people complaining that this isn't a Z announcement have clearly never watched the Super Bowl before. Imagine trying to push your chibi anime game alongside Budweiser and Go Daddy. To adults. Good luck with that.

jholmes

All of the people complaining that this isn't a Z announcement clearly have never watched the Super Bowl before. Imagine trying to push your chibi anime game alongside Budweiser and Go Daddy. To adults. Good luck with that.

But that's what they're doing anyway?

openrob

No where in those video clips is Pokemon even hinted at.

• The news feed is from Kanto
  • There is a poster for SURF in the bar with the girl
  • Nidoking Chess piece
  • MooMoo milk ad in the Shibya type area
  • The Jerseys in that shot say 1996
  • A Pokemon battle

Also TRAIN ON has a Trademark on it (TM lol). Is that significant?

Edit:
Should be interesting
It will also be featured in a special broadcast dedicated to the Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials on CBS at 8 p.m. That program will include a behind-the-scenes look at the commercial's production.

All of the people complaining that this isn't a Z announcement have clearly never watched the Super Bowl before. Imagine trying to push your chibi anime game alongside Budweiser and Go Daddy. To adults. Good luck with that.

So why have an ad at all if it's just adults watching?

udivision

Ironically Non-Chibi Guy (Liam Nelson) pushing Chibi Game (Clash of Clans) worked pretty well. If you know your audience, you can adjust your advertising.

GO is nowhere near ready. That's probably why.

By advertising the 20th anniversary, including the 20th anniversary website at the end, it actually manages to do it all.

We both know GO will disappoint anyway. That trailer was so hype, but the game will be nothing like that.

I agree, like I said, if that's what they were going for then it certainly did it's job, I just doubt they will get an onslaught of media attention for Pokemon because of it.

And again, I completely agree, just from that one screenshot they showed of Charizard I think, shows that the commercial was mostly style and little substance in relation to the actual game. But we'll see.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
What yall don't know is that when Beyonce appears on stage, she will have Pikachu ears and Pokémon fever will erupt once more.

JoeM86

But you guys are wanting them to reveal and/or promote a game that is months away. That's not a good thing to do with the time. That would be wasting it.

Promoting the brand manages to do that with larger encompassing possibilities. It advertises:
The show for the kids
The games for everyone
The TCG for the card players
The Pokémon GO for whoever wants it
The brand in general
The social media platforms so people can stay on top of everything they want

Far better use of the spot.

jholmes

But you guys are wanting them to reveal and/or promote a game that is months away. That's not a good thing to do with the time. That would be wasting it.

Promoting the brand manages to do that with larger encompassing possibilities. It advertises:
The show for the kids
The games for everyone
The TCG for the card players
The Pokémon GO for whoever wants it

The brand in general

I doubt that your average Carolina Panthers fan knows what any of these are, so I fail to see how a commercial that neither describes nor depicts these concepts can be seen as advertising them.

Hydrus

Ōkami;193237713 said:
hEq4aGy.png

HM03

Also BREAKING NEWS: Some kid's running.

Did a quick look frame by frame and that's the most interesting things I found.

Also says Kanto in the bottom corner of the tv and pokemon block on route 12

I doubt that your average Carolina Panthers fan knows what any of these are, so I fail to see how a commercial that neither describes nor depicts these concepts can be seen as advertising them.

It's about brand awareness, with the hope that the ad will inspire some to look into what it offers nowadays.

jholmes

And that's why a website link exists.

I don't want to come off like I'm picking on you here Joe, but very few people will look up a link they see in a commercial. And that's assuming those people are even interested in the product in the first place. Your average football fan watching the Super Bowl is not going to miss the better part of a drive figuring out just what pokemon.com is on their smartphone.

Camjo-Z

Uh... what?

The first half of that has nothing to do with Pokemon, and the second half is undermined by the crappy CG.

oti

Banned
I expected more of a young kid playing Pokémon on the OG Game Boy -> flash forward same kid now grown up re-kindleling their love for Pokémon or something. With the original tune playing in the background etc. This is way cooler and way more "now" than my idea and I'm glad they went this route. The CGI is kinda crappy and unnecessary in my opinion but it's Pokémon so it makes sense.

And I'm happy it isn't a blatant ad for some product.

Please. This narrative on here that pokemon is some obscure franchise that no adult knows about it both embarrassing and makes me wonder what kind of insolated childhood some of you had.

It's like saying if there was a DBZ commercial, with just small references (a sensu bean, a guy with blond hair, an orange/blue gi) no one would know what it is. Pokemon was HUGE at one point. Like, banned from school, attacked by politicians and religious groups, banned from countries huge

21XX

Banned
That didn't make any sense.

It shows person doing stuff completely unrelated to Pokemon, running, being good at Chess and football. Then the next person watches and says "I can do that". No where in those video clips is Pokemon even hinted at. It's more like the person is saying that can become great at Chess or Football.

The chess pieces are Pokemon. The logo of the football team is a Charmander (I think). It's taking the "I want to be the very best" thing and expanding it. Telling kids they can "be the best."

It's an awesome and surprisingly touching commercial.

Top Bottom