• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

JoeM86

I don't think this is the superbowl commercial they will show the 7th, is too long... Pay a 1:10m ad for nothing to actually sell or announce? Seems odd.

Brand exposure and they say outright it's the SuperBowl Commercial they will show.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Commercial seems to cut off at the end (especially the percussion audio), suggesting this isn't the full version. We'll probably get a cool reveal during the Super Bowl in the full version of this ad.

Seemed cut off at the end. I'm assuming this isn't the final version and that there will be Pokemon Go footage when it airs.

EDIT: beaten by nanoseconds

Gaspard

Commercial seems to cut off at the end (especially the percussion audio), suggesting this isn't the full version. We'll probably get a cool reveal during the Super Bowl in the full version of this ad.

does a 1:10 commercial imply that they're not showing us 20 seconds at the end? or does CBS allow ad buys not in multiples of :15?

Gotta keep that hype alive, haha.

JoeM86

The Pokémon Company International today unveiled a new TV commercial that will air during Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, February 7. The ad, shot in Rio de Janeiro, celebrates the millions of Pokémon fans around the world, encourages them to enjoy the Pokémon references hidden in the ad and Train On. A 30-second version of the ad will be aired at the beginning of the third quarter of Super Bowl 50. An extended version can be viewed at http://bit.ly/1KzQloU.

30 Second version on the 7th according to the PR. This is the longer one.

JoeM86

It's likely the earlier stuff that just has tenuous links to Pokémon would be removed from the 30 second cut.

What a complete waste of time. The perfect opportunity to get Pokemon back into the mainstream, especially with all the buzz around GO in the media and various sites (For the first time ever my Facebook feed was full of Pokemon when that was announced last year) and they threw it away for some generic commercial. Like, that's fine, it makes the public conscious of Pokemon again but the Super Bowl is one of the biggest platforms (if not the biggest) to get something in the eye of the mainstream, and they chose this? Like one of the easier posters said, just the GO logo would've changed this completely.

JoeM86

They wasted their money in my opinion.

Adverts for the Super Bowl are typically

A) For the brand, not specific products

and

B) Ridiculous

What a complete waste of time. The perfect opportunity to get Pokemon back into the mainstream, especially with all the buzz around GO in the media and various sites (For the first time ever my Facebook feed was full of Pokemon when that was announced last year) and they threw it away for some generic commercial. Like, that's fine, it makes the public conscious of Pokemon again but the Super Bowl is one of the biggest platforms (if not the biggest) to get something in the eye of the mainstream, and they chose this? Like one of the easier posters said, just the GO logo would've changed this completely.

Pokémon is more than a mobile spin-off, and that spin-off won't be what people think it will be.

Illucio

Banned
Pokemon games coming out this year:

Pokemon Go
Poken Fighters
Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow for virtual console.

And possibly Pokemon Z?

jholmes

Man, can you imagine what might have happened if Nintendo tried to get a Wii U commercial in during the Super Bowl? Wow. What an idea.

I really hate Super Bowl ads because they seem more about companies congratulating themselves instead of trying to inform the consumer about a product and yeah, this is that.

JoeM86

Here's the full PR. It'll explain things

The Pokémon Company International today unveiled a new TV commercial that will air during Super Bowl 50 on Sunday, February 7. The ad, shot in Rio de Janeiro, explores ambition, drive, and training, concepts that every Pokémon Trainer is familiar with. It celebrates the millions of Pokémon fans around the world who will enjoy identifying all of the hidden Pokémon references in the ad. It ends with a call to action for all those who strive to achieve their dreams: Train On. A 30-second version of the ad will be aired at the beginning of the third quarter of Super Bowl 50. An extended version can be viewed at Pokemon.com/20.

“For 20 years, the Pokémon world has inspired fans to train hard and have fun,” said J.C. Smith, senior director of Consumer Marketing at The Pokémon Company International. “This ad is reflective of that passion, and I can’t think of a bigger stage to share this story than the Super Bowl.”

Made by Omelet, a Los Angeles-based creative agency, the Pokémon 20th TV commercial will also be featured in the upcoming CBS special Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials. This annual show, which will air on February 2 at 8:00 p.m. ET, revisits fan-favorite commercials from past Super Bowls and also gives a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the Pokémon Super Bowl advertisement.

The ad is part of a yearlong campaign celebrating 20 years of Pokémon. First introduced in Japan in 1996 with the video games Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green for the Nintendo Game Boy system, Pokémon has delighted fans of all ages around the world for two decades. With more than 275 million video games sold worldwide, 21.5 billion TCG cards shipped to 74 countries, and an animated series spanning 18 seasons, Pokémon is one of the most successful entertainment brands in the world. More details can be found at Pokemon.com/20. Fans visiting the site throughout the year will find information about monthly Mythical Pokémon distributions, retail events, special products, messages from some of Pokémon’s biggest fans, and the upcoming Pokémon Photo Booth app.

Pokémon. Twenty years. Train On.

Yeah. Well it'd be the first time in quite a while we had two years in a row without a main series pokemon game.

It'd be the first time ever.

They're not going to skip 2016, especially with Yo-kai Watch breathing down their necks in Japan./

This is airing during the Superbowl? They are spending that kind of money to not reveal anything? Huh

Why would they reveal things during an American sports game?

Am I out of place for wishing Nintendo's advertising campaigns would harp on nostalgia more often? Shoot, if I saw a Pokemon ad in 2016 that took me back to unwrapping my Pikachua Yellow GB for a birthday, I'd probably pick up the next game. I think that would do well for the 20-30 y/o crowd, but maybe I'm overestimating the value of remembrance.

e: also, I realize this is not a Nintendo ad, but a Pokemon ad. My thoughts apply to both.

Ōkami

hEq4aGy.png

HM03

Also BREAKING NEWS: Some kid's running.
s1Mk4Kc.png

Nidoking

Did a quick look frame by frame and that's the most interesting things I found.

JoeM86

Oh right, you only reveal new stuff to much smaller audiences to not build hype

No. You reveal things to the right audience.

The general public who watch the Super Bowl couldn't give two craps that Pokémon Z is now revealed.

What do you mean by "exposure"?

It seems arbitrary to say this makes sense but then say revealing a new product does not.

They're celebrating the 20th anniversary. They made this advert to help celebrate it.

Not everything is about reveals.

Crayolan

Pokémon is a global brand. Get exposure during an American sports game, sure. Reveal new stuff? No.

To be fair this is the brand which revealed their last mainline game by dropping a random trailer on youtube.

Ōkami;193237713 said:
Did a quick look frame by frame and that's the most interesting things I found.

I'm sure people will spend days meticulously picking apart every second of this trailer and somehow find that by reversing the audio and viewing it upside down it says Pokemon Z confirmed.

Top Bottom