• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It will be interesting to see if anything Nintendo announces this year manages to pull me back into the fold. I was always an odd duck of a fan, anyway, since I didn't care about collecting. I realized circa 2013 that I was probably done with the franchise, but then, I thought I realized the same thing in 2001. Then I was on hiatus until 2005. Then I was hooked again.

So I don't know. Like I said, I'm interested to see what they announce. I'm not sure what it would take to make me care again, but I'm sure something could.

Definitely not this ad, though.

I don't see the point of the ad
"hey guys pokémon exists"
Uh yeah I think everybody knows by now
thinking.gif

I thought it was a neat commercial, but I can see why people would be disappointed. Real talk though they should've gone all in with that chess set and not just make one or two unique Pokemon pieces, but that's really just nitpicking lol.

foltzie1

To anyone complaining about the lack of a specific product, Super Bowl advertising tends to work best for brand awareness, not product introduction.

This video is fine in that regard. I'm curious if it gets lots of major media attention since it lacks in a big hook (like a off the wall cameo ect)

I don't see the point of the ad
"hey guys pokémon exists"
Uh yeah I think everybody knows by now
thinking.gif

Thst's just about the same as what car manufactures do with the Super Bowl. It probably has been past the point for decades now where they have to show up or it is a negative that they didn't had an ad just to remind us that they are there, so now that's what people think a Super bowl ad has to be, or at least the people in charge here thought so.

TheXbox

Yeah, going full CG live Pokemon at the end there might not have been the best call. Should've just busted out a 3DS or something at the end. As it is, it's half a good Nike commercial, and half a low-budget SyFy movie.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
most of the big pokemon reveals happen on a japanese kids' tv show and some of you were expecting an e3 press conference as a super bowl commercial?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Yep that's me. Man that takes me back haha.

I actually posted on there a couple of times a few weeks ago. Felt surreal. Many of the same folks from back in the day are still on there, too, haha. It was like time stopped over there. (I'm sure Carter can fix it.)

OmegaFax

This commercial is weird. It looked one of those realistic, fan-made Adi Shankar trailers (sans the violence) or a shelved Nike commercial that they added Pokemon to at the last minute.

Balb

It's a good commercial and I know it's aimed at everyone but I would have loved if it had more nostalgic elements in it.

Fantastic ad, but I really don't understand why Nintendo is spending $5 million dollars on a Super Bowl slot for it. Especially when it doesn't plug a single one of their prodcts - rather it just reminds people how cool Pokemon is. It'd be easy enough to just have an endslate for Pokemon GO, Pokken, the R&B 3DS, and/or Pokemon Z. Pushing the audience to a website in order to learn about that is just sloppy advertising.

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to be confused by this ad once it airs on the 7th. It plays out like a Gatorade commercial, and then fucking Gyrados pops into frame.

Balb

Fantastic ad, but I really don't understand why Nintendo is spending $5 million dollars on a Super Bowl slot for it. Especially when it doesn't plug a single one of their prodcts - rather it just reminds people how cool Pokemon is. It'd be easy enough to just have an endslate for Pokemon GO, Pokken, the R&B 3DS, and/or Pokemon Z. Pushing the audience to a website in order to learn about that is just sloppy advertising.

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to be confused by this ad once it airs on the 7th. It plays out like a Gatorade commercial, and then fucking Gyrados pops into frame.

They're probably trying to make the Pokémon brand socially acceptable to the average 25+ year old person in the same way other "kids" properties like Transformers and Star Wars are.

2003 CG is gonna blow people's minds ?

For a ton of people who don't care about video games enough to read about them on the internet, it's going to be one of those commercials that people talk about the next day because it's out of nowhere. "Did you guys see that Pokemon commercial? Holy shit." It's not really something you expect to see at the Super Bowl

Top Bottom