• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

Darryl

Banned
This is one of the best pieces of marketing I've ever seen from Nintendo. I think it'll be really effective.

Second best piece, probably that "Free Demo" Paper Mario magazine ad

Oersted

Jesus Christ video game fans are some of the most miserable fucking people.

This one time I saw a commercial with polar bears drinking Coke! Like, what's the deal? Is this a commercial for bears? There wasn't even a new flavor revealed! Stop wasting my time Coca-Cola, and show me a commercial with humans in it. God!

Outside of Neogaf the reaction is overwhelming positive.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
god i hope this fails.. and it hopefully will learn nintendo a lesson not to betray their older fans..
their arrogance is reaching sega levels.

the most sad part is they are trying to reel in the old pokemon fans .. and the first gen is still the best in my eyes. (omg how dare you to have nostalgia)

-edit- oh wait i get it now .. nintendo is trying to reach me . telling me to reach to MY kids to sell their stuff.
nice try tho !

god i hope this fails.. and it hopefully will learn nintendo a lesson not to betray their older fans..

the most sad part is they are trying to reel in the old pokemon fans .. and the first gen is still the best in my eyes. (omg how dare you to have nostalgia)
Nice meme post

...Erm?

I'm hoping this is sarcasm.

Anth0ny

Dude bro friends all loved it

I was wrong

Good job Nintendo. Still think they should have promoted the mobile game, though. Friends thought "Pokemon 20" was a game.

Azuran

Banned
Lucario made it guys. I feel like such a proud parent right now that I could actually cry tears of joy.

RIP Meowth and Jigglypuff

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I know this is a meme post but

how is it betraying older fans if it's gen 1 pandering :p

Thorakai

-edit- oh wait i get it now .. nintendo is trying to reach me . telling me to reach to MY kids to sell their stuff.
nice try tho !

are you a carolina fan

Spukc

I know this is a meme post but

how is it betraying older fans if it's gen 1 pandering :p

i'll try to react as normal as possible. they know i am about the right age to have kids.
they want to prey on my nostalgia to feed my kids the same thing. with their so called global pokemon take over.

so yes i feel betrayed since i am not a marketing tool .

evanmisha

smdh where the fuck is pokemon go like we've seen literally 2 probably mocked up screenshot and the game was supposed to be closed beta winter 2015 full launch early 2016. Like give us a damn video or something. ANYTHING

wwm0nkey

smdh where the fuck is pokemon go like we've seen literally 2 probably mocked up screenshot and the game was supposed to be closed beta winter 2015 full launch early 2016. Like give us a damn video or something. ANYTHING

Sometime between now and GDC(March) we will get info

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
i'll try to react as normal as possible. they know i am about the right age to have kids.
they want to prey on my nostalgia to feed my kids the same thing. with their so called global pokemon take over.

maybe you should have learn to control your nostalgia then, since nostalgia is and will always be a marketing tool :p

Lucario made it guys. I feel like such a proud parent right now that I could actually cry tears of joy.

RIP Meowth and Jigglypuff
Yeah despite all the g1 pandering this is making me laugh

where are the "Lucario won't be recognized" people now!

Welcome to advertising, I suppose.

Spukc

maybe you should have learn to control your nostalgia then, since nostalgia is and will always be a marketing tool :p

yup you are totally right man ! but that still does not make it cool at all in my eyes :p

evanmisha

Sometime between now and GDC(March) we will get info

Even the damn GDC announcement came out of nowhere. Like, all it would take is a video or some screenshots to calm everybody the hell down but they just won't do it for some reason. I don't get it. This was their big watershed moment to be like, okay guys we were holding everything back for such a big audience, but now it's like... why? Why have you waited all this time to give us nothing? Not even a confirmation of a delay. Just radio silence.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought that was a really cool commercial. I love the idea of people being inspired to become better by watching others.

Also, Pikachu nonchalantly watching tv in the living room with a kid and his dad.

Vice

Well, that's what some commercials are for. It's not about getting you to go out and buy something right noe. Making the product seem special and emotional to you can be even better. Once a product/brand gets so big there's not much else to do.

Mr-Joker

Banned
They just uploaded the 30 second version that will air in the third quarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Pl-fq6WPw

I have said it before and I will say it again that ad does a bad job in celebrating 20 years of Pokémon.

Ha ha that thread so fun to read, the genwunner couldn't wrap their head around the fact that Lucario is an iconic Pokémon.

His real name is Satoshi after all :p

Dun dun duuuuuuuu!!!! :O

JJP12

When I first heard about the Pokemon Superbowl ad, I was really hoping it would open up with the classic Nidorino vs Gengar battle from Pokemon Red. It could have been a neat way to promote the New 3DS bundles. I thought the actual commercial turned out really well.

Lynd7

When I first heard about the Pokemon Superbowl ad, I was really hoping it would open up with the classic Nidorino vs Gengar battle from Pokemon Red. It could have been a neat way to promote the New 3DS bundles. I thought the actual commercial turned out really well.

I expected that too.

Might have been nice to touch on the passing of years through different generations of kids as well.

Maybe they didn't want to go all in on nostalgia though.

Ad is blowing up my Facebook wall. Definitely speaks to people my age that loved RBY back in the day.
A lot of my friends (many who don't play any games anymore) are calling it one of the best ads of the night.

Top Bottom