• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon's 20th Anniversary Super Bowl Commericial Uploaded

For a ton of people who don't care about video games enough to read about them on the internet, it's going to be one of those commercials that people talk about the next day because it's out of nowhere. "Did you guys see that Pokemon commercial? Holy shit." It's not really something you expect to see at the Super Bowl

after those F2P mobile games ads last year I doubt that

Predwolf

The whole commercial seems geared towards adults, and screams GO. Since adults are the main consumer of smartphone, it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the target demographic - I'm not sure how many football fans play RPGs, let alone a "kids" RPG.

The whole commercial seems geared towards adults, and screams GO. Since adults are the main consumer of smartphone, it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is the target demographic - I'm not sure how many football fans play RPGs, let alone a "kids" RPG.
The Super Bowl is the most watched event in the nation. Super Bowl Sunday is almost a national holiday. They aren't targeting just football fans, they're targeting everyone.

I really like the ad and it is definitely a good way to raise awareness of the anniversary while also having nice little references for the fans throughout the commercial. But this definitely makes me feel they are waiting to announce something in regards to GO or the next mainline game entry. It definitely seems like GO is the more obvious choice given the time that they are choosing to air this ad.

The nerve of recording a PKMN ad in Brazil when they pay nothing but dust to BR fans.

With that SAID, nice ad. I really hope GF finds the light with the new generation of PKMN games.

not enough nostalgia for the 20th anniversary pull, and it's not like people that aren't nostalgic are going to watch this and think pokemon is cool.

I thought they were going to plug the pokemon red and blue ports, but considering that they require a $200 device that wouldn't go over well, lol. since this is likely hyping up the inevitable pokemon rush to mobile, it's strange that there aren't any specifics on those games yet either. POKEMON GO ON YOUR PHONE COMING SOON could at the end would have been huge.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I was expecting an advert promoting that meh Pokémon Go game but this is just shit as it was nothing but gen 1, gen 1, oh hai Lucario and here's more gen 1 pandering.

I want to celebrate 20 years of the series as a whole and not just gen 1, which is what it's starting to look like.

Well if it's any consolation...

...it proved Lucario ain't "not popular".

Ha ha I remember that thread, the genwunner really didn't want to deal with the fact that a non gen 1 Pokémon is popular.

Fucking Magneton was in the trailer, and I guarantee you Magneton is not popular.

MAGNETON

Nope, Magneton is pretty popular.

Wheres Oshawott though?

Not a gen 1 Pokémon, so he doesn't fit in with the gen 1 pandering or their plans of celebrating 20 years of Pokémon because...reason. ¬_¬;

No. I run a very well known Pokémon website.

And it's a great website.

Would have liked the battle to have been Gengar VS Nidorino like in the original games. That'd be a clever call back.
There were some neat easter eggs; the Flame Badge logo on the helmets, the players running out (19 on one, 96 on the other), Nidoking chess piece, the surfing poster and the moo moo milk ad.

Arozay

NdoIm7.gif

Griss

Super Bowl commercials typically don't promote products, but the brands

As someone who has watched every super bowl for the last 20 years, this just isn't accurate, imo.

When Budweiser do their famous ads, it's quite obviously an ad for Budweiser beer. Yes, the ad doesn't focus on the beer, it focuses on clydesdale horses, but the end message is 'Buy this one particular Budweiser beer'. E-trade's ad wants you to sign up for e-trade, go-daddy wants you to sign up for go-daddy, Doritos want you to buy a pack of doritos etc. There are certainly some 'brand awareness' or 'product awareness' ads, sure. Avocados from mexico being a fairly well know recent one.

But look at the top SB ads of last year as an example:
Budweiser - selling classic Budweiser beer
Bud-light - selling light Budweiser beer
Always - selling women's products
Coca-cola - selling coke
McDonalds - selling mcdonalds meals
Skittles - selling packs of skittles
Snickers - selling snickers bars
Doritos - selling doritos
Mercedes - general brand promotion
Kia Sorento - selling a specific brand of car
Loctite - selling specific super-glue
Clash of Clans - getting you to download their game
Avocados from Mexico - general product promotion
Mophie - selling battery cases for phones

That's just a cross-section taken from a ranking website but there's only two general brand promotion ads there. Most of the ads you have a strong idea what specific product they want you to buy (or download), no doubt. You can say 'I could go to the shop / log into the app store and get this product, now.'

RAWi

Yea I'm sure the Pokemon brand really needed this...

Well, there are always potential costumers, so this kind of moves may pick up some curious people, that may end up trying a Pokemon game in the near future.

The ad was awesome, it gave me goosebumps. And only makes it more and more obvious, that a VR Pokemon game should be made.
And that Pokemon should exist... Yeah, even though there are always some kind of apocalypse-like event from time to time, haha.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Im a little surprised at no Go, but the advert does a great job to get people talking and remembering. No way was Z gonna be announced. The average super bowl fan's not gonna care that a revised version / sequel to Kalos is on its way, no matter how much we (especially I), want it. It is just a matter of time before an announcement though. We can survive.

The Lamp

Nintendo has something big this year. Nobody spends money on a super bowl ad reminding people about Pokemon when no real Pokemon games this year are supposedly releasing except for Pokken. I expect big announcements in the coming months.

Oops I forgot Pokemon Go

Nightbird

Look, Pokken will have its own dedicated Marketing campaign starting soon, and Pokémon Go seems not to be anywhere near release, and let's be honest, you are not going to blow money on a ad campaign for an App that's not available for download immediately, and especially not during the Super Bowl, where you are just one of the many ads that will be thrown at the customer.

Whether we do get another RPG this year or not, I would be totally unsurprised if Go turned out to be TPCi's focus this year. Any mainline game this year is going to be something relatively unprestigious like a third version of X and Y, whereas Go is going to be looking to capture a huge new audience on mobile and to represent a whole new frontier for the series.

I can easily see some in this thread getting frustrated if Go gets heavily promoted, and it'd be nice to avoid that.

They're probably trying to make the Pokémon brand socially acceptable to the average 25+ year old person in the same way other "kids" properties like Transformers and Star Wars are.

Still, you do that by pumping hundreds of millions into a major blockbuster movie franchise and making the series part of the pop culture vernacular. Just selling a brand by itself won't translate.

Side note, I'd love a Pokemon movie that expanded on this ad's concept. Show a very real, modern world where Pokemon is a nature part of the culture.

Busaiku

Most commercials that showcase the brand at least display some products.
Nothing in this commercial is anything you can acquire.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry but that was super lame. Bad CGI and you aren't even revealing anything.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You call it bad CGI but just be grateful they didn't just reuse the Pokémon Stadium models.

Caayn

Aahhhh.. okay now I want to play some Pokémon again. Damnit, where did I left my 3DS?

So many good memories thanks to this franchise.

Oersted

The commercial boils down to "Remember the fun you had with Pokemon? Now it is to pass down the torch to your kids."

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
I wonder what TPCi was thinking

They were probably thinking they want to spend a bit to hype up the brand in time for Pokken Wii U, Pokemon Go on phones, a possible final 3DS game later this year, and whatever they have planned for NX. I don't even like Pokemon but this is designed to reach the largest market possible. It makes a lot of sense even if it doesn't directly advertise anything.

Synless

Am I the only who wasn't impressed by it? I also didn't like how the Asian guy got stereotyped to the gaming/anime portion of the commercial while everyone else did real world shit.

Hatchtag

Banned

you would be surprised. i fuckin' loved playing pokemon before high school football games.

javac

The ad is celebrating the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, it's a milestone and the tagline 'Train On' is to indicate that the brand is still strong and will continue into the future, its not here to sell you on anything. Seems like that was lost on a few people.

Top Bottom