• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

Peru

This doesn't make any sense.

"Nintendo is expected to launch NX handheld this year"
because
"Analyst says there will a small recovery in shipments of flat-panel displays"
because

Why is this analyst believing "Nintendo is expected to launch NX handheld this year" in the first place?
This are just the same case of guesstimate, based on our own speculations, of a so-called analyst, that led us to mock Pachter during the Wii era.

No it's not, the author commented that the analyst had sources in companies.

Sapiens

It's time. The 3DS screen is so hard to look at and it only gets worse every day. I love Nintendo handhelds so I'm there day one.

I really will miss the 3D though - would have been nice to have a higher rez version of that (even 480p).

Can the most successful handheld console of all time, having launched 12 years ago, be considered a gimmick? Come on man.

This is exciting.

I'm more bothered by the fact that gamers have redefined gimmick to be a negative term.

Hey guys, sometimes "gimmicks" turn out to be something worthwhile, and dual screens were one of them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So you guys are going with 2 screens and no 3D :/

I hope that it has 3D, but I don't really see much market interest in the feature. It's a shame because the N3DS nailed the implementation with the head tracking.

I'm sure that the NX handheld will have dual screen and the NX home controller will also have a screen. Without one Mario Maker would not be possible (and they would never make you buy the handheld NX just to use as a controller).

In theory they could use one big screen like they are already doing it on the 2DS. (The 2DS just overlays a plastic frame to give the illusion of two screens.) The result would look like this:

LqsJsgd.png

But I do not think that this is likely at all.

That would be fine but you would lose the clamshell which is a crucial feature IMO.

Peru

I hope that it has 3D, but I don't really see much market interest in the feature. It's a shame because the N3DS nailed the implementation with the head tracking.

I'm sure that the NX handheld will have dual screen and the NX home controller will also have a screen. Without one Mario Maker would not be possible (and they would never make you buy the handheld NX just to use as a controller).

Mario Maker is possible on a single touch screen unit, no real issues. I don't see the NX handheld having two screens, no way (edit: ok I slightly misread your post thinking you meant the handheld needed two screens for MM)

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
That would be fine but you would lose the clamshell which is a crucial feature IMO.

They could combine that design with the soft cover posted on the last page. However, that would require them to embed the controls deeper into the frame. It might work, though. The resulting device would look more like a tablet and be a bit less portable as a result.

tuffy

It does seem like Etrian Odyssey V is waiting on the announcement of some new Nintendo portable, so I wouldn't be all that surprised to see one launch this year.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
They could combine that design with the soft cover posted on the last page. However, that would require them to embed the controls deeper into the frame. It might work, though. The resulting device would look more like a tablet and be a bit less portable as a result.

I hope one day they will show us some of the prototypes like they did with the Wii remote. I bet they've been through every configuration imaginable.

Glass Rebel

Really hoping they drop backwards compatibility and the second screen to ensure seamless compatibility between the handheld and the home console versions of the NX. 3D I could see surviving but I'd rather drop that as well to keep costs down or invest into more powerful hardware or, even more importantly, a better battery.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This doesn't make any sense.

because
"Analyst says there will a small recovery in shipments of flat-panel displays"
because

Why is this analyst believing "Nintendo is expected to launch NX handheld this year" in the first place?
This are just the same case of guesstimate, based on our own speculations, of a so-called analyst, that led us to mock Pachter during the Wii era.

It's not that complicated to understand. Screen manufacturers who told analyst that they expect an increase in production due to Nintendo launching a new hardware with screens this year. The only speculation is that the hardware is a handheld. The rest is a reliable information.

Also, analysts are mostly a serious thing, despite clowns like Pachter.

Raziel

After nearly 12 successful years of dual screen handheld it's time the dissenters let go of this little pearl.

After nearly 12 years of searching for a vital purpose for a second screen it's time the supporters let go of that white whale.

phanphare

Banned
3D screen please.

yeah I hope they don't ditch the 3D. could be really awesome with a higher powered system and a better resolution screen. it's already a great feature on the 3DS and they seemed to have perfected it with the New 3DS.

After nearly 12 years of searching for a vital purpose for a second screen it's time the supporters let go of that white whale.

you'd have to have had your head in the sand for over a decade to claim there isn't a vital purpose for the second screen

Peru

On the 3DS with its lower res screens the 2nd screen actually feels pretty vital. Certainly for games like MonHun with lots of UI elements and menus. In general "just" putting a map or UI on the 2nd screen is not "just", it's a pretty solid addition. I'll let that go with a hi res, larger screen, but I wanted to point out its nice use.

Neoxon

I want that....
With a Handheld that's 2x as powerful as the Vita and 720p...
A man can dream..
One GAF insider mentioned that Nintendo's next handheld would have a resolution that's "higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope". This has led us to believe that the NX Handheld will have a native resolution of 540p (makes sense, since it scales up to 1080p easier).

Not sure of what to think about the handheld factor, but I'll reserve judgement for when I see it. I didn't like the Wii and the Wii U didn't do a lot for me. It had some good, beautiful games, but I don't want to control games with a tablet or motion.

Feel bad for the people who just bought a N3DS or XL. Nintendo likes to do this with its hardware, though.

TDLink

Honestly even if all a game does with that second screen is move menus and UI down there, I consider that a big benefit and improvement to having it clutter the main gameplay screen. And some games go much further than that and do in fact do some interesting things with it.

phanphare

Banned
Honestly even if all a game does with that second screen is move menus and UI down there, I consider that a big benefit and improvement to having it clutter the main gameplay screen. And some games go much further than that and do in fact do some interesting things with it.

making pause menus irrelevant is such an understated benefit

You don't necessarily a second screen for that anymore though -- I'd say the worthiness of the second screen fell by quite a bit ever since 3DS stopped receiving "touch-first" games, and made the top screen the primary gameplay screen.

That said, I do like the second screen, but it just isn't as important as it once was, especially as Nintendo's handhelds aren't market leaders in the grand scheme of things, leading to less games built around the dual screen setup.

Bigger screens also reduces the worthiness of the dual-screen set-up, since elements and touch gestures/buttons designed for twin 3" screens have been blown up in size.

The free form display would incorporate the best benefits of a second screen from 3DS and do them better, particularly hot buttons and shortcuts, which may have haptic feedback and be literally at your fingertips.

That's basically the free form display Nintendo is using from Sharp, which also has ultra-thin bezels. Imagine a screen that stretches from side to side of the device, with cut-outs over where the sticks and buttons usually are. So it's wider than 16:9 (or 5:3 on 3DS), but you've got all this space around the buttons that's actually touch sensitive and a screen.

This makes for a flexible set-up where the best developers can bring the buttons and D-Pad to life via an interface, tutorial or gameplay elements that point to them and engage with them in real-time, or they could place touch sensitive buttons or actions that easily reachable from your thumbs (e.g. you could comfortable control an in-game camera via swipes). Or they could place HUD elements away from the main viewing area where a traditional screen lies.

And for lazy/resource limited/time limited developers, they can just extend the field of view for their game and claim it improves immersion. It's really flexible.

If there's one legacy the NX handheld will leave it'll be in bringing buttons and D-Pads to life, rather than them being these non-interactive thing off the screen. Should also be good at making these button controls feel natural to a new generation of players in Japan who might start playing on a touch-only smartphone or tablet.

Glass Rebel

you'd have to have had your head in the sand for over a decade to claim there isn't a vital purpose for the second screen

I've owned multiple DS and 3DS systems over the years and I can't think of a single thing I'd consider "vital". Convenient and nice, absolutely but every other platform manages with just one screen.

Even though the Wii U OS is pretty fast now, people still wish it was instantaneous like other devices.

I see this as a similar thing.

Pausing for menus isn't time consuming but every second counts as far as overall convenience and enjoyment.

I'll be fine if it's one screen but I have a feeling it's a "don't know what you got til it's gone" thing that will make people appreciate the second screen even if it was underwhelming a lot of the time.

Even though the Wii U OS is pretty fast now, people still wish it was instantaneous like other devices.

I see this is a similar thing.

Pausing for menus isn't time consuming but every second counts as far as overall convenience and enjoyment.

I'll be fine if it's one screen but I have a feeling it's a "don't know what you got til it's gone" thing that will make people appreciate the second screen even if it was underwhelming a lot of the time.

Yup. In particular I appreciate it for bringing HUDs that actually feel designed for handheld. Vita HUDs are often shrunken down 1:1 from console games and look comically tiny or unreadable.

As one of the 'handheld truthers' from the start all this recent news is very pleasing to me.

It's been tough talking to people about the NX when I'm considering it being a handheld and the conversation is dominated by console-centric stuff like 'Will it be as powerful as a PS4?' etc.

yup.

Curious if AMD has its fingers in the handheld pie as they seem certain they have a new system to provide for this year also.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
In theory they could use one big screen like they are already doing it on the 2DS. (The 2DS just overlays a plastic frame to give the illusion of two screens.) The result would look like this:

LqsJsgd.png

But I do not think that this is likely at all.

By the way, one benefit of this hypothetical design would be the ability to run ported Wii U games.

JCX

I much prefer 2 screens. Either way, I want a clamshell design. Hate putting my Vita in a bag or my pocket and it getting smudged and scratched.

Pif

Banned
Curious to see if an NX portable and NX console will effectively work as a next-gen Wii U.

Curious to see if Nintendo fucks up their naming scheme and marketing and people think such machines are just a Wii U redesign. Which by itself is just a wii acessory for soccer moms.

Oersted

Curious to see if Nintendo fucks up their naming scheme and marketing and people think such machines are just a Wii U redesign. Which by itself is just a wii acessory for soccer moms.

Kimishima thought WiiU is too close to Wii. A change of naming would be the easiest way to prevent that from happening again.

georly

Finally got a vita last night and after 20 seconds with the thing I realized that the NX handheld should just have ALL touchscreen(s). Being able to use either touch screen OR buttons to input my wifi info and do all the setup/menu selection was fantastic. I know the 3DS does most of the input on the bottom screen, but it's tiny and imprecise with fingers. I want a touch screen like on the vita or smartphones where the whole ui is designed around being able to touch it.

That said, I don't like the vita joystick positions. I think below buttons works better on a controller than a handheld for some reason - so if we can get nintendo buttons/circle pads and a vita touch screen, then i'm good.

daakusedo

Resident evil revelations and wind waker hd are the second screen experiences that impressed me the most. Recently I was convinced by splatoon and xenoblade and the latter could have done even more.
Overall, I'm more interested to seamless menu gestion than making the core gameplay centered around two screens.

It's so good to have elaborate menu management works fluidly with controlling your character.
I would miss it.

I'm fairly certain at this point that they are going to use Sharp's Free Form displays from the recent patent which was uncovered. As the patent also mentions a controller version which lacks a screen, but uses a touch pad for similar input capabilities, this is what I'm going w/ for the NX console as well.

All I want is a handheld that plays all of Nintendo's mainline franchise releases. No matter what else NX is, please let me have that.

Neoxon

I'm fairly certain at this point that they are going to use Sharp's Free Form displays from the recent patent which was uncovered. As the patent also mentions a controller version which lacks a screen, but uses a touch pad for similar input capabilities, this is what I'm going w/ for the NX console as well.
Makes sense, but I don't recall there being mention of a touch-pad for the console's controller in the patent. Maybe I missed it in my last read-through.

All I want is a handheld that plays all of Nintendo's mainline franchise releases. No matter what else NX is, please let me have that.
You may get your wish, since the guys who make the 3DS cartridges are involved with the NX Platform. This may indicate that the popular theory of a shared software library could happen.

phanphare

Banned
I can't imagine how shitty it must have been before the big update that sped the Os up.
Because I still find it excruciatingly slow right now.

everything except going to the system settings has been sped up considerably. november 2012 was a rough time for the Wii U's OS lol

Makes sense, but I don't recall there being mention of a touch-pad for the console's controller in the patent. Maybe I missed it in my last read-through.

Here yah go:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2015/0355768.html said:
Furthermore, although this embodiment is described about the information processing apparatus comprising the display panel and the touch panel, it is possible to also make an information processing apparatus function as an input device such as a controller by not providing the display panel.

Top Bottom