• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IHS: Nintendo portable NX console to launch this year

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
you'd have to have had your head in the sand for over a decade to claim there isn't a vital purpose for the second screen

It's just difference of opinion. Having it for maps, inventory etc., is handy, but hardly vital IMO. And I hate stylus/touch controls in general, so that's a negative rather than a vital feature for me.

Add in that having two screens, and needing to keep price down leads to low resolution/low quality screens, and it's hardly vital to me.

I'd much prefer a single, quality screen to the DS/3DS set up. I don't care about the clam shell design. I bought a cheap GPS unit neoprene sleeve for my vita that makes it worry free to toss in my bag.

But I'm also one of those luddites that just likes traditional games with traditional controls and never enjoyed touch controls, motion controls, have any interest in new input schemes like the Steam controller or things like VR.

phanphare

Banned
It's just difference of opinion. Having it for maps, inventory etc., is handy, but hardly vital IMO. And I hate stylus/touch controls in general, so that's a negative rather than a vital feature for me.

Add in that having two screens, and needing to keep price down leads to low resolution/low quality screens, and it's hardly vital to me.

I'd much prefer a single, quality screen to the DS/3DS set up. I don't care about the clam shell design. I bought a cheap GPS unit neoprene sleeve for my vita that makes it worry free to toss in my bag.

But I'm also one of those luddites that just likes traditional games with traditional controls and never enjoyed touch controls, motion controls, have any interest in new input schemes like the Steam controller or things like VR.

most aspects of the "traditional" controller were gimmicks at one point

don't be afraid! ;p

Scrawnton

I imagine they wouldn't make a peep about this themselves until at least after the Smash DLC and Fire Emblem are out.
At there investors meeting next week don't they have an obligation to say what it is if they're launching it this year? They're a public company so that have to disclose their plans for the whole fiscal year, yes?

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
You may get your wish, since the guys who make the 3DS cartridges are involved with the NX Platform. This may indicate that the popular theory of a shared software library could happen.

I think a shared library is a good possibility, since they are encouraging ports between the two NX systems. I assume that means there will be crossbuy, where you can get both for $80 or so, rather than the full $100.

At there investors meeting next week don't they have an obligation to say what it is if they're launching it this year? They're a public company so that have to disclose their plans for the whole fiscal year, yes?

That would be done at the beginning of the new fiscal year in April.

Neoxon

I think a shared library is a good possibility, since they are encouraging ports between the two NX systems. I assume that means there will be crossbuy, where you can get both for $80 or so, rather than the full $100.
Actually, if the cartridge manufacturer is any indication, the shared library may mean one cartridge that you can use on both NX devices.

PS4 was officially unveiled in February, and it worked out well for them. Do it Nintendo.

Actually, if the cartridge manufacturer is any indication, the shared library may mean one cartridge that you can use on both NX devices.

Now this would be an awful idea with how big games are now. We aren't going to see 50GB cartridges any time soon.

What? No, not at all.

They are under no obligation to announce or break their major products marketing timeline for the sake of an investor meeting.

Neoxon

That seems like it would drastically reduce software sales though.
Not really, it'd make more sense than having 2 of the exact same game on store shelves. Plus you'd sell more of that one game than you would if they were split.

Now this would be an awful idea with how big games are now. We aren't going to see 50GB cartridges any time soon.
Flash memory isn't as expensive as it once was, so larger cartridges aren't out of the question.

Scrawnton

What? No, not at all.

They are under no obligation to announce or break their major products marketing timeline for the sake of an investor meeting.
What I mean is the investors have a right to know what a company plans to do for profit for the fiscal year. If they're selling a new product that year they have to tell the investors otherwise they're withholding information that influences stock prices. I'm not saying they have to have a blowout of information on the NX, but they'd have to at least tell them they're releasing new hardware in the fiscal year. And it seems that meeting is in April from what an above poster said.

Can we necessarily rule out a July 2016 launch for the HH? Perhaps that Digitimes rumor was accurate. It's not like Nintendo haven't debuted handhelds in the Spring/Summer in the past (3DS/GBA). That would like November open for the NX console.

Not really, it'd make more sense than having 2 of the exact same game on store shelves. Plus you'd sell more of that one game than you would if they were split.

Flash memory isn't as expensive as it once was, so larger cartridges aren't out of the question.

It's still much more expensive than disks. Flash would still mlbe in the dollar ranch when these things are announced, compared to the cents it costs to manufacture a bluray disk.

Scrawnton

Can we necessarily rule out a July 2016 launch for the HH? Perhaps that Digitimes rumor was accurate. It's not like Nintendo haven't debuted handhelds in the Spring/Summer in the past (3DS/GBA). That would like November open for the NX console.

If the NX handheld was BC with 3DS and launched with several Wii U ports, I'd buy it day one in July.

Neoxon

We'd be hearing massive leaks if the NX Handheld was coming this summer.

BKSmash

I don't know how people feel about the 3D, but I want it gone. I never use it, and it feels like a waste of their time and resources if they make it for the NX portable too.

After nearly 12 successful years of dual screen handheld it's time the dissenters let go of this little pearl.
That's the thing, though. It's been 12 years of the same two-screen design, and let's not pretend it isn't a gimmick. Nearly every game I've played on any iteration of the DS up to 3DS has failed to make proper use of the screen. Even worse are the games that just force you to use the bottom screen just because it's there! It also makes the device much less portable, and requiring players to move their eyes away from the main action screen diminishes the immersion the player is supposed to experience.

Somehow consoles and every other portable device manage with one screen, but people act like it's a necessity for the Nintendo portable to have two. It's time to move on from the tired gimmick and have a single-screened, sleek handheld that is actually portable. Of course Nintendo is far too conservative to change anything that much, so it'll probably still have the same design, making it just a slightly more powerful 3DS, not a true successor.

phanphare

Banned
I don't know how people feel about the 3D, but I want it gone. I never use it, and it feels like a waste of their time and resources if they make it for the NX portable too.

I want to see 3D with better graphics and a higher resolution screen. they've already solved one big issue with the face tracking.

That's the thing, though. It's been 12 years of the same two-screen design, and let's not pretend it isn't a gimmick. Nearly every game I've played on any iteration of the DS up to 3DS has failed to make proper use of the screen. Even worse are the games that just force you to use the bottom screen just because it's there! It also makes the device much less portable, and requiring players to move their eyes away from the main action screen diminishes the immersion the player is supposed to experience.

Somehow consoles and every other portable device manage with one screen, but people act like it's a necessity for the Nintendo portable to have two. It's time to move on from the tired gimmick and have a single-screened, sleek handheld that is actually portable. Of course Nintendo is far too conservative to change anything that much, so it'll probably still have the same design, making it just a slightly more powerful 3DS, not a true successor.

I'd argue that the clamshell design makes the DS and 3DS more portable. unless it's the XL sized variants but that seems pretty self explanatory being named XL and all.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

Yeah, same here. I certainly do want to sacrifice general display quality for it. Even if there would be a high quality display with 3D capability out there, Nintendo would prioritize cost over quality, like they always have.

Oh come on.
"Gimmick" if you mean "reason to buy the console", then sure, it's a gimmick. Plenty of games are better because of it; none are worse, because at the absolute worst case scenario, you don't use it for anything, The dual screen and accompanying clamshell design is way more portable friendly than the Gameboy or PSP lines.

That seems like it would drastically reduce software sales though.

Eh. Wii U software sales are already amazingly low and handheld gamers are used to buying cards rather than discs. I can't see it doing much damage in terms of sales. If they really do have shared libraries between console and handheld, that or digital only are the only realistic options anyway.

emb

I feel pretty middling about 3D.

I think it's great and I always use it, but if a Nintendo handheld was cheaper for lacking it and got more game support as a result, I wouldn't miss it too much.

flux1

If the portable comes first then my interest bottoms out for now. I'm just not interested in another portable right now.

I'll see how it is 2 years later when the revision and a price cut hit it.

Papacheeks

Banned
Am I alone who thinks concentrating on the home console launch is more important? Since that's the area they are failing the most in?

I mean I looked up when 3Ds launched and it launched in Japan in September then February for US.

So it makes more sense to launch fall for Japan for hand held, and launch home console in US in fall.

Or are they trying to do the opposite now?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Aren't the console and mobile one supposed to be one in the same?

They are different hardware configurations that share an architecture, like iPhone and iPad. Sharing an architecture means they can develop a title for both platforms without having to start each version from scratch.

Am I alone who thinks concentrating on the home console launch is more important? Since that's the area they are failing the most in?

I mean I looked up when 3Ds launched and it launched in Japan in September then February for US.

So it makes more sense to launch fall for Japan for hand held, and launch home console in US in fall.

3DS launched in February in Japan then April in USA. And no, it doesn't makes sense to focus on home console.

You're not wrong. I'd be a little surprised if the home console is that much later.

The real problem is if they can't make the handheld a hit out of the gate, the company is probably in trouble. The last thing Nintendo needs is another limp start like the 3ds had. Whereas, if they tried replacing the console first, they'd still be able to backtrack at least a little to the 3DS for a while. (Not that I'd want them to).
Handheld is still coming first at this point though.

emb

I agree that this is more important, the 3DS is still holding on ok.

I'm still holding out small hope that both will launch pretty close to each other, since they're supposed to work around kind of a unified OS or whatever.

Hatchtag

Banned

i still think the home console will come out this fall, and the handheld next spring.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You're not wrong. I'd be a little surprised if the home console is that much later.

The real problem is if they can't make the handheld a hit out of the gate, the company is probably in trouble. The last thing Nintendo needs is another limp start like the 3ds had. Whereas, if they tried replacing the console first, they'd still be able to backtrack at least a little to the 3DS for a while. (Not that I'd want them to).
Handheld is still coming first at this point though.

Most of their main internal teams went dark in 2013, most of their games in the last year have been outsourced or cheap spinoffs that were co-developed with external studios. The bulk of their development muscle has been focused on NX for some time. There can be no excuses for software droughts this time.

Most of their main internal teams went dark in 2013, most of their games in the last year have been outsourced or cheap spinoffs that were do-developed with external studios. The bulk of their development muscle has been focused on NX for some time. There can be no excuses for software droughts this time.

I don't mean to be too pessimistic, but a lot of us thought the same when 3DS/Wii U were coming up, and we saw how that turned out.

Griss

Nintendo's core business has always been their handhelds. The 3DS is old, it's clearly declining and it needs to be replaced. Getting a new revenue stream up and running in the handheld sector has to take priority over their dire state in the home console division. In their home market of Japan a handheld has the potential to succeed. A home console no longer does. Everything points in that direction.

Look, if Nintendo can't make a successful handheld, they're done as a hardware maker. It's that simple. On the other hand if they make a poor console but their handheld succeeds, they'll be fine. That's why the handheld needs to come first, that's why it needs to be the focus.

Kaisos

That's the thing, though. It's been 12 years of the same two-screen design, and let's not pretend it isn't a gimmick. Nearly every game I've played on any iteration of the DS up to 3DS has failed to make proper use of the screen.

We must play completely different games, since I've been grateful to my second screen on numerous occasions. Not to mention games like TWEWY, Hotel Dusk, and Ghost Trick that would be a lot less interesting to play without it.

If nothing else, Fire Emblem Awakening really benefited from pushing stat pages onto a second screen, too.

most of their games in the last year have been outsourced or cheap spinoffs that were do-developed with external studios

I see this sentiment a lot and it's more than a little unfair when last year had Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, and Splatoon. It's just more that their November was disappointing?

Besides, there will absolutely still be software droughts. If not at launch, then later.

I think handheld and console this year, just like in 2001 with GBA/GC. Nintendo needs to start getting back some market value in the West during the holiday season for the console market, just having a handheld will be great for Japan but not for everywhere else.

Launching the handheld first and the console later seems like the Smash Bros 4 strategy. And that kinda worked in getting me to buy the handheld version before the console version. Gave everyone an early taste.

I'd be disappointed if this thing didn't have 3D. I've never played a game without it and it's only gotten better over the years. Don't really know what time and resources have to do with it if they've already figured it out.

If this is the case, what was the point of New3DS?

Improve sales of that hardware without actually making massive improvements to what's inside.

It's not a secret nintendo does it fairly consistently with handhelds.
Gameboy/Pocket/Light
Gameboy Advance/SP/Micro
DS/DSlite/DSi
3DS/n3DS

The only system to not have a major revision is the colour, and that probably would have if it had a life longer than 3 years.

I'd be disappointed if this thing didn't have 3D. I've never played a game without it and it's only gotten better over the years. Don't really know what time and resources have to do with it if they've already figured it out.

The problem is it pushes the console price up a fair amount, and needs to some extent requires some amount of processing that could go to just being a higher resolution screen in general. I'm sure nintendo is well aware that launching the 3ds at a price point double of what the DS was (at least in the uk) was an absolute disaster for them, and that the 3d screen is one of the easiest things to cut to save money.

The problem is it pushes the console price up a fair amount, and needs to some extent requires some amount of processing that could go to just being a higher resolution screen in general. I'm sure nintendo is well aware that launching the 3ds at a price point double of what the DS was (at least in the uk) was an absolute disaster for them, and that the 3d screen is one of the easiest things to cut to save money.

Yeah, I don't doubt this thing won't have 3D and that it makes the cost higher if it did, but 'time and resources'? I don't even know what that means, really.

Also, I'd be willing to pay a higher cost for 3D. Doubt many others would though.

NeonZ

If the shared library concept is real, it makes more sense to start the NX brand with the version that's more likely to be successful and move more units, in order to have a healthy ecosystem from the beginning. Then the console can follow it later, using the existing library to be a more attractive investment from launch. Extras like higher resolution would also make people who care about graphics double dip.

The alternative would be launching both very close to each other, but launching the console first by itself would be a mistake, since it could poison the NX's overall brand image.

Top Bottom