• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 wins VES realtime graphics prize

Definitely deserved, although the other nominees, not so much.

Return of the Tomb Raider looks great, but I can't see how people think it looks on par with the Order. I would put Arkham Asylum second, Witcher 3 and then Battlefront.

Melchiah

Well deserved. I wonder though, why Destiny: TTK was nominated in the same category, instead of, say, Witcher 3.

Zojirushi

Well deserved. Usually gaming on PC and this is still amongst the most visually impressive games I've ever played despite all the corners they had to cut.

Playing Tomb Raider right now and I'm having way more "Well THAT part doesn't really look that great" moments than I had with this game.

Being consistent in terms of visual quality goes a long way.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Definitely deserved, although the other nominees, not so much.

Return of the Tomb Raider looks great, but I can't see how people think it looks on par with the Order. I would put Arkham Asylum second, Witcher 3 and then Battlefront.
Witcher 3 falls off for me due to animation and transitions. The game just doesn't feel fluid in motion. It feels like an older games with a new coat of paint slapped on top. Also, the default foliage is UGLY as sin and kind of ruins the look for me.

Arkham Knight and Battlefront are definitely my runners up behind The Order.

Heh, I actually like The Order as a game. I was revisiting some old Dreamcast games the other day and it occurred to me that The Order is a similar type of experience to Berserk (Sword of the Berserk) for the DC. A game focused on cinematic story telling with small chunks of gameplay. The Order plays much better than that, of course, but it's a similar type of thing. The Bouncer as well is a good comparison as it was cutting edge as hell when it hit in December 2000. Just insane visuals with lots of cut-scenes and limited gameplay.

I just wish it had an option to turn off chromatic abberation. It's sad that the game with the best IQ also has one of the most destructive filtering processes.

Witcher 3 falls off for me due to animation and transitions. The game just doesn't feel fluid in motion. It feels like an older games with a new coat of paint slapped on top. Also, the default foliage is UGLY as sin and kind of ruins the look for me.

Arkham Knight and Battlefront are definitely my runners up behind The Order.

Heh, I actually like The Order as a game. I was revisiting some old Dreamcast games the other day and it occurred to me that The Order is a similar type of experience to Berserk (Sword of the Berserk) for the DC. A game focused on cinematic story telling with small chunks of gameplay. The Order plays much better than that, of course, but it's a similar type of thing. The Bouncer as well is a good comparison as it was cutting edge as hell when it hit in December 2000. Just insane visuals with lots of cut-scenes and limited gameplay.

wheres the ryse love?

Melchiah

I think it also bares some resemblance to Cinemaware's games on Amiga, like It Came from the Desert, which were visually gorgeous back in the day, with somewhat limited gameplay mechanics. Taken in that context, with the expectations that come along, it's not that bad experience.

Ricky_R

Well deserved. Game looks nuts.

The other nominees were:
-Halo 5: Guardians
-The Hobbit: A Thief in the Shadows
-Destiny: The Taken King
-Assassin's Creed Syndicate

is this one of those competitions where you had to submit your own work for consideration? if so, Konami wouldn't give two shits about Metalgear anymore and others probably had better things to do.

pottuvoi

Banned
I think it also bares some resemblance to Cinemaware's games on Amiga, like It Came from the Desert, which were visually gorgeous back in the day, with somewhat limited gameplay mechanics. Taken in that context, with the expectations that come along, it's not that bad experience.
Indeed.
Actually I would love a proper It Came from the Desert reboot with dynamic story.. (Wink Wink to Supermassive Games)

Until Dawn wasn't as good looking as The Order, but it deserved a nomination all the same.

QGPilo5.png

Just look at those threads.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Hm....Im kinda surprised they picked the Order given their track record of horrible choices.

Last year's winner was CoD AW
The year before was CoD GHOSTS! Ahead of Ryse and Killzone.
Year before that BLOPS2

So um....yeah.

tuxfool

Banned
Hm....Im kinda surprised they picked the Order given their track record of horrible choices.

Year before that BLOPS2

So um....yeah.

Everything was COD. Their choices were as unimaginative as the games they awarded, this no longer makes me surprised at the nominees.

Melchiah

Until Dawn wasn't as good looking as The Order, but it deserved a nomination all the same.

QGPilo5.png

I forgot UD completely. It certainly would have deserved a nomination.

Indeed.
Actually I would love a proper It Came from the Desert reboot with dynamic story.. (Wink Wink to Supermassive Games)

I'd definitely want to see a more cinematic game based on the 50's monster films. There have been some games with a similar theme, like Eat Them! on the PS3, but they had entirely different gameplay mechanics.

Year before that BLOPS2

So um....yeah.

Hrmmm, yeah maybe Activision stopped funding the event?

dark10x

The frame-rate kills it for me. There is never even frame pacing. It's always juddery which kind of overshadows everything else.

Hyun Sai

It reminds me of what Keaton said about line-ups in Usual Supects : "It's always you and 4 dummies".

So congratz I guess ?

Marvel

could never
Nothing comes close to what this game did, and wont for a few more years.

Well deserved.

Can we get a sequel please?

tuxfool

Banned
After checking out the previous years winners.. Im not sure this is an honor at all. These people clearly dont know much about videogame graphics if Call of Duty won 3 years in a row.

Yup. The Order 1886 joins such prestigious company.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
A game focused on cinematic story telling with small chunks of gameplay.
It's more like The Bouncer in that regard, especially when it comes to choice of gameplay encounters and mechanics. Also fits the "runs great", "great looking facial closeups" and "uninspired backdrops that look like a studio-set" checkmarks as well.

T.O.P

Banned
A million miles away from the worst game of 2015, it was really good other than the price to length ratio.

Debatable

The Lycan fight, the total absence of A.I., the scripted boss fight(s) and the stealth section alone are the furthest you could go from "really good"

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Melchiah said:
I think it also bares some resemblance to Cinemaware's games on Amiga, like It Came from the Desert, which were visually gorgeous back in the day, with somewhat limited gameplay mechanics.
This I completely disagree with. Cinemaware games had their issues(disc swapping being the main one) - but they virtually never dragged on, the opposite in fact, the punishing gameplay and realtime narratives made them nerve-wracking at times, but never boring - which really can't be said for The Order.
Most of them were also highly replayable.

Melchiah

This I completely disagree with. Cinemaware games had their issues(disc swapping being the main one) - but they virtually never dragged on, the opposite in fact, the punishing gameplay and realtime narratives made them nerve-wracking at times, but never boring - which really can't be said for The Order.

I think that's debatable, considering I enjoyed The Order despite of its flaws (mainly the lycan fights and stealth sections for me), but not so much Cinemaware's games.

RiverBed

Banned
Well deserved. Great work by the team.
No other game comes even close to the amount of time I had to stop and appreciate the beauty and the art of the game like The Order did. Seeing a light pole wet in the rain with the glass around the bulb drizzling down is just incredible.

The team's work will go down as one of the top best looking games this generation- and I bet it would age well next-gen as well.
I hope RaD keep making big budget games.

lmao whaaaaaat

halo 5? it's not ugly but come on. no Witcher? mgs? battlefront? Hardline? GTA v PC? Arkham Knight?

halo instead? and the hobbit...???

might as well have Fallout 4 and Ark up there while you're at it, make things real competitive *rolls eyes

Like most awards (I've been a judge for a reasonably big games award), the main thing is putting yourself forward for the award. If there's 5 slots and only 5 companies put themselves forward, then they're all nominees. There's not like a system where a team scours an industry to find the best of the best, nominations are whittled down to the final bunch and a winner chosen from those.

dark10x

Most of them were also highly replayable.
I think you're being way too harsh. The Order plays very nicely. The mechanics are highly refined and the game FEELS great to play. It's just super narrow in scope.

Jito

Banned
Undoubtedly great graphics and technology but on a artistic level the game did nothing for me. Overall the game offers pretty textures over a flat, boring and lifeless rendition of London.

On top of all that the actual game is pretentious garbage.

thelastword

Banned
Yup this is indeed a The Order thread, graphics award thread yet the guy who gave birth to "corridor racing" meme say let's talk gameplay.
What did that poster say when Ryse won the siggraph though, metacritically, it's gameplay is worse than 1886? Just a curiosity anyway (perhaps to get some perspective).......

My issue with Ryse winning the Siggraph award was it's awful performance, especially awful performance combined with sub native rez......The order blows every other game out of the water visually, yet it's still native and has great performance (on top of minimal lag, the most fluid control for a 30fps tps). I'd call that a much greater accomplishment and certainly more fitting for the graphical crown in any year.....

If we keep giving games with bad performance visual awards, then the most technical studio should just put out a tech demo at 15fps just for the accolades.....Imagine 1886 at 15fps.....

tuxfool

Banned
Like most awards (I've been a judge for a reasonably big games award), the main thing is putting yourself forward for the award. If there's 5 slots and only 5 companies put themselves forward, then they're all nominees. There's not like a system where a team scours an industry to find the best of the best, nominations are whittled down to the final bunch and a winner chosen from those.

In which case if the nominations are structured as you say, it says a lot that many other great looking games (superior to a lot of the nominees) didn't submit themselves to the awards.

It also explains how it would be feasible for COD to win 3 years in a row.

Top Bottom