• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd -Revelator- Raven + Kum HaeHyun Gameplay Footage

Rattles

IV read afew posters say they moved this to unreal engine 4, is there any reason why? wat benefits have they gained

Dio

Banned
IV read afew posters say they moved this to unreal engine 4, is there any reason why? wat benefits have they gained

EDIT: Speculation. I don't think I've been able to concretely confirm this.

The original Xrd had a lot of hacked together solutions in UE3 they programmed specifically for this game that UE3 didn't support natively.

Now that UE4 has a really strong support network for Japanese developers (a lot stronger than UE3 ever was) and everyone's adopting it, moving Xrd to UE4 has a ton of huge benefits. For example, UE4 comes out of the box supporting bone scaling, which they had to code themselves in UE3.

I get the feeling that they want to build on the foundation of Xrd with more expansions after Revelator, which would mean it's for the best to migrate to a current engine with better support and workflow/art pipeline benefits rather than building on top of coding their own solutions with an older engine with less support.

VariantX

The original Xrd had a lot of hacked together solutions in UE3 they programmed specifically for this game that UE3 didn't support natively.

Now that UE4 has a really strong support network for Japanese developers (a lot stronger than UE3 ever was) and everyone's adopting it, moving Xrd to UE4 has a ton of huge benefits. For example, UE4 comes out of the box supporting bone scaling, which they had to code themselves in UE3.

I get the feeling that they want to build on the foundation of Xrd with more expansions after Revelator, which would mean it's for the best to migrate to a current engine with better support and workflow/art pipeline benefits rather than building on top of coding their own solutions with an older engine with less support.

If they do ever move it to UE4, they'd probably have to drop PS3 wouldn't they? And I'm not sure what level of hardware the arcade version runs on but if it's not running at 1080p then it might be safe to say it's comparable to last generation consoles.

Orayn

If they do ever move it to UE4, they'd probably have to drop PS3 wouldn't they?

It's not an officially supported platform so they'd need to port it themselves, but it's not necessarily impossible. Armature is bringing Bloodstained (also UE4) to the Wii U, for example, and it's not an official platform either.

And I'm not sure what level of hardware the arcade version runs on but if it's not running at 1080p then it might be safe to say it's comparable to last generation consoles.

Xrd ran on RingEdge 2, which falls somewhere between last and current gen. (Closer to current.) They could scale up easily enough, but it probably helps save money since a common Vewlix cabinet config only uses a 720p monitor.

Dio

Banned
Those posters were incorrect. I am willing to see something actually confirming that it runs on UE4 instead, though.

I'm willing to amend my statement if what I've learned is wrong, but as far as I understand it: http://www.4gamer.net/games/216/G021678/20140703095/

This article from when -SIGN- was released states that they would have moved it to UE4 if they had more time with it. The impression I got was that I heard from some other people that they HAD in fact migrated it to UE4 for the release of Revelator.

If I'm wrong, I'll edit out my statement and be all the wiser. I don't wanna be repeating misinformation.

VariantX

It's not an officially supported platform so there'd be no support for it in the engine's tools, but it's not necessarily impossible. Armature is porting Bloodstained to the Wii U, for example, and it's not an official platform either.

Yeah, but I'm more worried about the fact that the PS3 having 2 pools of 256mb vs Wii U's 1 useable pool of 1 GB. I'd say at least on the surface, Armature has the easier task.

brinstar

Kum looks really fun to play as.

Raven... doesn't look anything like how I thought he'd be in the main fighting games but I love the way his cape animates.

Raven moves through the air weird, somewhat like I-No. I'm interested to see what he can do.

Kum also looks great. Is he a grappler? The game can definitely do with more of those.

Top Bottom