• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono trying to keep Darkstalkers to stay not dead.

Femto.

03_darkstalkerstweet02.jpg

https://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/698721574296363008

It's nice to see that even in 2016 and after 15 years without a new entry in the series, besides the HD collection, Darkstalkers is something Ono still wants to hang on to. Hopefully Street Fighter V's rough launch doesn't push Capcom away from future fighting games.

B E L I E V E

leroidys

I haven't spent that much time with it, but Darkstalkers 3 in particular is so. Good. I would buy the shit out of a new game.

entremet

Man, I love Ono.

The SF series would be dead without his advocacy at Capcom.

I hope SFV pulls through otherwise the series will go in hibernation again.

Orayn

A weird thought: What if they revived it in the style of the Killer Instinct reboot? Have an initial launch with a small roster, fairly basic features, and a low price, release more "seasons" if that does well enough to warrant further development.

Capcom could be pretty agile and clever about this if they wanted to.

Warxard

Banned
If there's room in this world for KI, there's room for Darkstalkers

A weird thought: What if they revived it in the style of the Killer Instinct reboot? Have an initial launch with a small roster and a low price, keep adding onto it if that does well enough to warrant further development.

Capcom could be pretty agile and clever about this if they wanted to.

A significant portion of Darkstalkers' Playerbase play on arcade cabinets so I think that'd kind of kill the interest for those people

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I want to believe.

I need me some Jedah dammit. Hell even Morrigan, or Felicia. Q-Bee. Just give me something.
Fuck those*. I want Lord Raptor, Jon Talbain, Rikuo and Demitri!

* Granted, not familiar with Jedah, I only played Night Warriors xD from looking him up, he looks cool. Q-Bee looks terrible though, ugh.

Jebusman

Banned
My girlfriend recently picked me up the Darkstalkers Design Works book. It only made me sad realizing how long it's been. Last one I probably played was the PSP release.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
A Ono-lead Darkstalkers 4 is total goddamn dream material. It would be soooooo good.

It also needs a LOT of single player and offline content.

petghost

Banned
would be beautiful even if they change it beyond recognition.

vsav is amazing but a lot of the mechanics are very 1997 and while they still hold up i dont think they would make a fg nowadays with no super freeze or the weird chain system which you can link out of to combo into specials or a pushblock which takes 6 inputs very quickly to be consistent etc.

Memory

Having any hope for this is foolish, we just got a SFV which had a shoe string budget, needed help from Sony and will be delivered over the coming years. Why would Capcom greenlight a decent follow up to DS on next gen?

The best we can hope for is another HD collection.

L Thammy

I'd think his hands were full keeping Street Fighter to stay not dead.

But it would be really cool if it happened. I hope Ono can pull it off somehow. And hopefully someone else can do it for Power Stone.

I mean, if it took intervention from Sony just to get a sequel to the biggest fighting brand on the planet, I'm not sure how Darkstalkers stands any chance. Unless the pro player aspect of it proves to be hugely successful for Sony and leads them to then fund a new Darkstalkers or VS game (or my personal dream, Sega Vs Capcom)

wrowa

I don't think new fighting projects will have a chance at Capcom if SF5 doesn't turn itself around...

Danneee

I'd be surprised if Capcom doesn't put some multi platform fighter out there this gen now that SFV is exclusive. Darkstalkers would be great and might revive the series.

entremet

I imagine that if it's going to happen, it's going to be some sort of console exclusive deal like with SFV.

And y'know what, if it means I actually GET a new Darkstalkers, I will just have to be OK with that.

OK, I legit LOL'd at this.

One of the hardest working sprites in video game history lol.

Capcom better get to work on the character models now. Make them exactly like Morrigan, Felicia, & Hsien-Ko from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

They only have about what, 20 characters to do? Though if we're going by story reasons, then Jedah, Pyron, & Lilith would be gone, leaving 17.

Pompadour

I doubt we'll ever get a Darkstalkers considering Street Fighter V itself isn't quite flying off the shelves. I could see them letting Arc System Works using the license but why would they? They're already juggling three fighting game franchises and that genre doesn't seem like it can handle having a wealth of games competing for a small player base.

If DSR sold well enough and SFV had a bit more umph out the gate, A new Darkstalkers wouldn't be out of the question. I'm not very hopeful.

However, SNK is back with KoFXIV and rumored to be working on a new SamSho, so I guess it isn't impossible

WarRock

Lots of doubts in my mind if current art staff working for fighting games at Capcom could do Darkstalkers justice. But you know what, I would be ok with a Darkstalkers ARPG or beat 'em up.

Better chances of that happening (and being acceptable) than a new fighter.

I want to believe.

I need me some Jedah dammit. Hell even Morrigan, or Felicia. Q-Bee. Just give me something.
Seriously? There is at least five thousand games where you can play as Morrigan :V
(And at least 4997 of them using the same sprite!)

I don't doubt how much Ono wants to do Darkstalkers, and I'm sure he can do a good job at it, I just... can't see it ever being feasible.

I recall reading some interviews with Niitsuma about MvC3, including him mentioning the difficulties of including Darkstalkers characters due to the number of unique assets it requires. And it's true, there's a ton of characters with transforming parts, tons of unique animations used for single moves, a bunch of moves that transform the opponent... It just sounds like whether they choose 3D or HD sprites, it'd be a real labor, which I can't see them doing in the face of SFV's current state. And toning those aspects back wouldn't feel like doing the series justice.

It feels like something that'll have to forever remain a pipe dream. I can play vsav forever so I can't say I'm super bothered by it, but it's still a shame.

Lulubop

Vampire has the coolest cast of characters in a fighter, free. Jedah is the GOAT. How I wish him and Sasquash made it into MvC3.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I want to make a snarky comment here but i would still like to see a new Darkstalkers even though it would absolutely divebomb in sales....=/

Top Bottom