• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2016 [Up1: Fire Emblem]

orochi91

Nintendo was adamant against releasing games on mobile, but that is now coming to pass.

However, I fully expect them to release games on PC before ever doing so on a competitor's platform (PlayStation). Only then could I see pride be a determining factor, lol

Nintendo will sooner die than decide to put their games on PC or other platforms they're far too proud to do that.

Business and Artistry are seldom binary. They have pride in their hardware, but they also have perhaps an even greater appreciation for their software. They will likely continue to make software unless Nintendo as a whole goes down, which is something no one wants to happen really. It would release the Japanese talent there, but arguably isn't Nintendo one of the better places for them to be?

The business side tells me that they will pursue PC for the Margins and the ability to produce some of their own hardware such as controllers. This of course is all theoretical however.

This in turn supports their artistic visions. They can keep the weird aspects of their hardware on the PC platform and they can find a much larger audience. The only issue is that of local co-op. But PC is slowly becoming accessible to TVs and what not, so it's not a tremendous issue in the long term.

I would hope that Nintendo pursues their own hardware until it is unsustainable, but turn to the platform that ultimately benefits them as a business and artists.

Sterok

If Nintendo ever gets to the point where they can't make hardware (and they're nowhere near that point right now), they'll be a completely different and unrecognizable company to what they are now, so previous statements and speculations based on current trends are fairly useless for that hypothetical future.

Nintendo as company would just change directions for they can't make it in video games anymore.

That's how they've survived over 100 years, they got the cash and resources to try something new.

However I doubt they want to leave video games, they are gonna start branching out with ips in other forms of media.

Asd202

If Nintendo ever gets to the point where they can't make hardware (and they're nowhere near that point right now), they'll be a completely different and unrecognizable company to what they are now, so previous statements and speculations based on current trends are fairly useless for that hypothetical future.

Yeah this what I had in mind when I made that radical statement which I worded poorly.

Nintendo will stay in the console business as long as possible, but their biggest value are their IPs and the Nintendo brand.
So thete is nothing to worry here. I wish them luck that they can surprise us once more with something we never knew we wanted. It's risky to innovate, but maybe it's another waggle-control and no wonderbook (in terms of success)
Also, of course Nintendo has been awful with third party support. I just hope the NX is basically architectured close enough to Ps4 and XboxOne, so porting would be easy. I wonder what they deliver power-wise. Would be funny if, in the end, they deliver the 1.5 we expect (do we?) from MS.

AniHawk

For the handheld or the console or both?

i don't think it matters as far as becoming a sales leader in the us in its launch month, but i had assumed they would offer different form factors on day one to push that concept accordingly.

going forward, the 'nx ecosystem/family of systems' is the only platform that will matter to them, but i don't know how they maximize that by not doing two things at once. if they had to choose between one or the other, i think doing a handheld first is putting their best foot forward, but it risks making the console version looking like a ps tv. replacing the wii u probably makes a lot more sense in the us, especially with zelda, but it's also the replacement to the wii u and putting that out first might damage the impression of a handheld version.

if they have both come out at the same time, the idea is there from day one. anything that happens with regards to preferences of a platform can't be pinned on marketing or timing. it will be consumers choosing what they want, and nintendo can then focus on what different markets like. i feel that they wound up using the 3ds as a test run for a lot of those ideas.

digimon did pretty well i'd say

anyone have any numbers from the ds world games? I imagine those aren't very uh easy to find
edit - don't think there is any aside from media create lol

AmyS

The NX is going to do even more damage to XB1 sales when it's released later this year.

This will accelerate MS's shift towards W10 and PC as their console business is wound down.

I hope this doesn't happen. I want NX to do well, and I want Microsoft to have another Xbox, in some form, even if it's a slightly modified PC.
Above all, I want competition and a healthy industry from a first party standpoint. All of us gain from that.

Radec

No way NX will win its launch month against a dominating PS4 that will probably be at $299 (or less on BF) this November. Not to mention FFXV that is not coming out on NX.

Hell it'll probably do less than the Xbone.

Massa

That "won't" happen to Nintendo, it's already happened to everyone. Nobody makes hardware anymore, they just buy it for very cheap. Releasing a console is the easiest thing in the world.

Digimon numbers are very good. Much better performance than DQ Heroes and Disgaea 5. It also did better than Tales of Zestiria. Add on digital sales from the PS4 and Vita versions, Bamco must be happy with the results.

onQ123

So at Best Buy and Target, GTA V is being bundled with the Xbone. Maybe Microsoft trying to get that GTA hotness?

At Gamestop & other places too & Amazon is also throwing in another game

Microsoft is trying to entice gamers to make the jump to the Xbox One with a new bundle deal. The deal includes a free copy of Rockstar's open world crime action game Grand Theft Auto 5 with most of the company's current Xbox One bundles from now until March 19.

The Microsoft Store site has this offer online right now, and this means that Xbox One buyers will get GTA 5 in addition to any other free games that are included in the Xbox One bundle. Amazon is also offering a free copy of the game with select Xbox One consoles along with yet another bonus game, Forza Horizon 2. In addition, Amazon is throwing in a Great White Shark Cash Card for buying in-game content in GTA 5. The card is worth $19.99 in real money but it's worth $1.25 million in the game.

Again, this promotion ends on Saturday, March 19. Which Xbox One bundle will you be getting?

http://www.windowscentral.com/get-grand-theft-auto-v-free-xbox-one-bundles-until-march-19

RibMan

If Nintendo exits Hardware, it's unlikely they will just start producing software for other systems, it is much more likely they'll turn to PC for higher Margins in the short run. In the long run, perhaps it will happen depending on how PC market accessibility progresses and how the Console manufacturers maintain their health.

That being said, I'm not too concerned over Nintendo's future in Software. If anything, expanding to a more accepting Market with less expectations of the specific Genres on PC, would likely be beneficial to artistic aspects of the company, the part that I'm sure is the part most people care most about.

I think you're a little off the mark.

Nevermind the fact that platformers, kart racers, and mostly offline games don't crush it on PC. Nintendo software appeals to an audience that doesn't have the kind of PC's that can run it well. Remember: Nintendo is one of the few companies that prioritizes high framerates. Unless they're taking a massive step back and are returning to pre-Wii U graphics, you're not going to be running Zelda NX without an above average videocard + processor. Both in the short and long run, prioritizing their software on PC over consoles, therefore, makes little marketing sense and is detrimental to the health of their IP's. Higher margins are great, but they're not so great if you're achieving them at the expense of growing your audience.

Growing the audience of their IP's would be the purpose of going multiplatform. In other words, if they go multiplatform but their software doesn't show up on NPD, then they're doing it wrong. They need a blanket strategy; cover the entire landscape of gaming with their software. PC's, consoles, smartphones, tablets, calculators, seats in an airplane, etc. That's how they make a killing.

I think you're a little off the mark.

Nevermind the fact that platformers, kart racers, and mostly offline games don't crush it on PC. Nintendo software appeals to an audience that doesn't have the kind of PC's that can run it well. Remember: Nintendo is one of the few companies that prioritizes high framerates. Unless they're taking a massive step back and are returning to pre-Wii U graphics, you're not going to be running Zelda NX without an above average videocard + processor. Both in the short and long run, prioritizing their software on PC over consoles, therefore, makes little marketing sense and is detrimental to the health of their IP's. Higher margins are great, but they're not so great if you're achieving them at the expense of growing your audience.

Growing the audience of their IP's would be the purpose of going multiplatform. In other words, if they go multiplatform but their software doesn't show up on NPD, then they're doing it wrong. They need a blanket strategy; cover the entire landscape of gaming with their software. PC's, consoles, smartphones, tablets, calculators, seats in an airplane, etc. That's how they make a killing.

Not only are consoles themselves in a state of decline, the market that remains is less and less receptive to those types of games. Ironically, genres like platformers are having s much better time on the extremely varied ecosystem on PC

FCP ~ 363 (4 ~ 56.8%)
NARUTO ~ 287 288 (4 ~ 2/3)
DIGIMON ~ 64
PVZ2 ~ 117 (1 ~ 59.5%)

Yep, when PVZ1 arrived later on PS4 it was kinda clear PS4 audience was not very interested anymore. That number looks quite poor, anyone got the NPD for the first one ?

I wonder if Titanfall 2 will end up with a similar split.

Alo0oy

Banned
I didn't buy Digimon because it didn't have English VA, maybe now that Bamco is looking at the sales numbers, they'll do VA for the next Digimon game, which I'll buy if it does.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
PVZ is a shooter kids game... No wonder why is selling so better on XB1.

Titanfall 2 split is not gonna be that huge.

That Far Cry Primal number is not higher than FC4! I don't know why people were saying it was.

You don't get it.

FIRST WEEK of sales, Far Cry Primal is bigger than Far Cry 4.

Far Cry 4 sold 670,000 in 2 weeks, Primal 363,000 but in one week.

That's also confirmed first week For Far Cry 4 was under 363,000.

I still wonder how Minecraft can continue to sell so well. Shouldn't pretty much everyone have it now? It feels like it's been in the Top 10 for years.

There are tons of "oldest" kids in a family turning 5-7 yrs old all the time and parents picking it up for them since all their friends play it.

Alo0oy

Banned
You don't get it.

FIRST WEEK of sales, Far Cry Primal is bigger than Far Cry 4.

Far Cry 4 sold 670,000 in 2 weeks, Primal 363,000 but in one week.

That's also confirmed first week For Far Cry 4 was under 363,000.

How did they confirm that the first week of FC4 was under 363k? NPD doesn't track weekly sales AFAIK.

That's just a case of faulty conclusions extrapolated from the data available.

Rob2K19

F YEAH! Cyber Sleuth baby! Woooo! Add in worldwide numbers and it's well over 100k(not adding Japan sales). Hoping after next 0rder there will be a Story game on par or even better than Cyber a Sleuth catering to the older audience again.

Top Bottom