• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Large protests occurring in Brazil. Calling for President Rousseff to resign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't find anything when I searched so here we go.

Hundreds of thousands of Brazilians flooded the streets on Sunday in the biggest ever protests calling for President Dilma Rousseff's removal, reflecting rising popular anger that could encourage Congress to impeach the leftist leader.

The demonstrations were the latest in a wave of anti-government rallies that lost momentum late last year but have regained strength as a sweeping corruption investigation nears Rousseff's inner circle.

From the Amazon jungle city of Manaus to the business hub of Sao Paulo and the capital Brasilia, protesters marched in a nationwide call for Rousseff to step down, raising pressure on lawmakers to back ongoing impeachment proceedings against her that just a few weeks ago appeared to be doomed.

Police estimates from more than 150 cities compiled by news website G1 showed around 3 million Brazilians participated in the demonstrations. Some police estimates of previous protests have proved to be exaggerated.

Polling firm Datafolha estimated 500,000 demonstrators in Sao Paulo, the biggest rally in the city's history and more than twice the size of a major protest a year ago. The military police put the figure at 1.4 million at the height of the demonstration.

Government sources contacted by Reuters acknowledged the demonstrations were bigger than anti-government rallies in March 2015, which gathered as many as 1 million people.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-brazil-rousseff-protests-idUSKCN0WF0IX

Seems like the past two years have been enough for Brazilians. I'm rooting for you guys.

Shizuka

EMO9hlf.jpg

I was there today. Here are two pictures I took:

6dJaMMq.jpg

wNLWWoA.jpg

There was a lot of people, I'm not joking. If you add all the people that couldn't get into the avenue, it could almost double the registered number.

Platy

You forgot that ...

The military police respected the protest .... which is exactly the oposite when people protest against the closing of public schools and stuffs like that.

Also, it has a fun slide !

BHZSF1r.jpg

People on private yacht complaining about the economic crisis

Some people wanting the military dictatorship back, and some people saying that Bolsonaro (a dude that trump would say it is racist and homophobic) is a hero

and that places like Porto Alegre have anti-impeachment protests but they are nowhere to be seen on television

X8Ceq0q.jpg

also, as said before, some people on the protest called corrupt politicians on their shitness to come to a protest against Dilma since they are also corrupt .... but nobody wants them to receive any impeachment.

Also, as Shizuka lovely proved with his last image, the protest was not against Dilma, but against her entire political party (the banner on the sound car reads "LULA IN JAIL NOW" and Lula is the president elect before dilma)

People in this thread will try to discredit what they did in many, many ways, see above for an example. Heck, I've heard people saying that "protesting is useless" today.

But congrats to everyone that made this possible, there were a few bad apples but that happens everywhere.

I'll add it to the OP right now, Platy. Thank you for your information.

Part of what you put on the OT is just misleading information, btw.

Interesting to see the Latin American economies completely crumbling. USA has done a great job though. And the world economy is poised to take a massive hit right now. It's definitely going to get bad, we just don't know how bad.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Even though I'll never say "don't go to these protests", some aspects of it totally put me off.

Gladly, this one in particular started showing signs of coherence. i.e.: people booing politicians who were trying to piggyback on their movement to promote their own agendas (some of them with quite a bunch of lawsuits on their backs), less people using the CBF (the national federation for futebol, who aren't trustworthy at all) shirt to represent the green and yellow.

Anyway, everybody's gotta learn sometime.

Platy

Yeah .. police brutality would have killed lots of elder people

Good god that's a lot of people.

What exactly is the trouble with the current President?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...l-dilma-rousseff-removal-160313152601406.html

She is blamed by many in Brazil for plunging the economy into its worst recession in at least 25 years.

The Federal Accounts Court said in October that her government's accounting practices in 2014, including taking what amounted to unauthorised loans from state-owned banks to make up for budget shortfalls, broke law.

Another judicial body, the electoral court, or TSE, has ruled in favour of investigating alleged illegalities in Rousseff's 2014 re-election campaign.

Especially worryingly for Rousseff was that one of the allegations in the complaint brought to the TSE by the opposition PSDB party was that some donations to her re-election coffers were linked in part to the Petrobras corruption scandal.

Rousseff chaired Petrobras during the main period of the kickbacks-and-bribery scandal that cost the company more than $2bn in 2014.

Should be noted that nothing was proved

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Corruption? In a financially strapped nation that somehow came up with the money to bribe host the WC and Olympics back to back? No!

I'm just glad Donald Trump isn't the president of Brazil or all those people would already be nuked.

Tiops

Apparently, biggest protests ever here. Probably more than 1 million in São Paulo alone.

Yes, you're going to see some shit that may try to discredit the protests, like rich people doing stupid stuff or something like that, but don't be fooled. That's a massive amount of people of every type there. One of the biggest satire sites over here even made a mockery of the pro-goverment people saying that only the elite are protesting:

http://sensacionalista.uol.com.br/2...arar-o-brasil-o-pais-com-mais-ricos-do-mundo/

"Size of the protests makes ONU declare that Brazil is the country with more rich people in the world."

Anyway, great to see people standing for them, and I hope we continue to be politically aware in the future.

You forgot that ...

The military police respected the protest .... which is exactly the oposite when people protest against the closing of public schools and stuffs like that.

Also, it has a fun slide !

BHZSF1r.jpg

People on private yacht complaining about the economic crisis

Some people wanting the military dictatorship back, and some people saying that Bolsonaro (a dude that trump would say it is racist and homophobic) is a hero

and that places like Porto Alegre have anti-impeachment protests but they are nowhere to be seen on television

X8Ceq0q.jpg

also, as said before, some people on the protest called corrupt politicians on their shitness to come to a protest against Dilma since they are also corrupt ....
but nobody wants them to receive any impeachment.

Also, as Shizuka lovely proved with his last image, the protest was not against Dilma, but against her entire political party (the banner on the sound car reads "LULA IN JAIL NOW" and Lula is the president elect before dilma)
You forgot to say you are completely biased. Selecting pictures to manipulate GAF into believing this movement isn't legit smh. This is the worst economic crisis the country has been in the past 25 years.

The protests are against Rousseff AND the biggest corruption scandal that ever existed in this country. Stop trying to reduce the protests exclusively to the political opposition. Your behaviour is shameful, this is a legit manifestation of the Brazilian people, even the opposition politics who tried to gain attention from this event were ostracized.

Tiops

Yes, Platy information is pretty biased and it's sad that information trying to discredit the protests are in the OP.

Regarding the giant duck: it's from one of the industry organizations in São Paulo. There's an expression in Brazil that says "eu não vou pagar o pato" (literally translating, "I won't pay for the duck" lol). It means that we won't pay for a screw up of someone else, and the organization is using to tell that we won't pay to fix the government issues caused by corruption, as one of the government measures to "improve" our economy is raising the taxes.

Aren't they also looking into maybe arresting Lula as well on corruption-related charges?

Yup. Next weeks may be exciting times for us.

Platy

You forgot to say you are completely biased. Selecting pictures to manipulate GAF into believing this movement isn't legit smh. This is the worst economic crisis the country has been in the past 25 years.

The protests are against Rousseff AND the biggest corruption scandal that ever existed in this country. Stop trying to reduce the protests exclusively to the political opposition. Your behaviour is shameful, this is a legit manifestation of the Brazilian people, even the opposition politics who tried to gain attention from this event were ostracized.

I am biased because I am a person, not a newspaper =P

Feel free to give articles and pictures helping your side that I will give pictures helping mine

Like this huge snake against Lula because this protest is totaly against Dilma

xbN22AH.jpg

I am biased because I am a person, not a newspaper =P

Feel free to give articles and pictures helping your side that I will give pictures helping mine

Like this huge snake against Lula because this protest is totaly against Dilma

xbN22AH.jpg
I won't. I have other things to do right now.

But why are you so mad about people mocking Lula? After all, he is a target of Lava Jato operation. The corruption scandal is also a reason for the protest.

Magni

^ Dilma Rousseff is a woman, if you were trying to say "he won't resign".

The police in Brazil exaggerate the numbers up, not down? In France it's always the opposite: you'll hear things like: 10,000 protestors according to the police, 100,000 according to the organizers (which means somewhere around 20,000 for real).

The police in Brazil exaggerate the numbers up, not down? In France it's always the opposite: you'll hear things like: 10,000 protestors according to the police, 100,000 according to the organizers (which means somewhere around 20,000 for real).

It...gives quite accurate numbers usually, actually.

Platy

I won't. I have other things to do right now.

But why are you so mad about people mocking Lula? After all, he is a target of Lava Jato operation. The corruption scandal is also a reason for the protest.

Because this is not a protest against Dilma and this is not a protest against corruption.

There are only pictures and banners against PT (dilma's political party) politicians. Aécio was the politician more mentioned in the Lava Jato scandals and there isn't a SINGLE BANNER against him because he is not from PT. Yes, he was "booo"ed when he appeared but that is only because his hypocrisy was too much for people =P

Also ... more pics !

Zombie Lula and taking pics with your kid with the Military Police !!!

and a cute pic of crazy protesters blaming zika and other diseases on PT

48QSWjt.jpg

KingBroly

Banned

Well...sorry, I guess.

No, the police always put the number down like France.

So the two sides are a corrupt inept liberal government with bourgeoisie fucks protesting to bring back to an age of authoritarian neoliberalism?

The current government is garbage but let's not pretend these protests are anything but an attempt to bring back an age of inequality and dictatorship in the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom