• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

I haven't play a Show since '09. I'm not sure what the good modes are now but I love Road to the Show. I always gravitate towards the 'create a player, work your way up to being good' modes in sports games.

So I haven't really played the game too much yet but I went into Diamond Dynasty mode and created a team. I looked through the team nicknames the announcers will actually say so I created the Boston Bruins. The logo creation tools are pretty cool! Made a pretty good looking spoked B. Haven't played an actual game yet though, spent about 90 minutes making the logo and creating the home/away unis to look like the Bruins' sweaters.

So what's the general consensus here on which are the best (or better) modes now? This is my first year playing with the Diamond Dynasty mode, is it good or am I going to be wasting my time?

I think Diamond Dynasty is really fun. And compared to Ultimate Team the economy and in game curreny is really fair, because you earn stubs across all modes.
But the meat of the game is still the franchise mode IMO, because the game really shines in single player when it comes to being a realitstic baseball sim.

Kumquat

I haven't play a Show since '09. I'm not sure what the good modes are now but I love Road to the Show. I always gravitate towards the 'create a player, work your way up to being good' modes in sports games.

So I haven't really played the game too much yet but I went into Diamond Dynasty mode and created a team. I looked through the team nicknames the announcers will actually say so I created the Boston Bruins. The logo creation tools are pretty cool! Made a pretty good looking spoked B. Haven't played an actual game yet though, spent about 90 minutes making the logo and creating the home/away unis to look like the Bruins' sweaters.

So what's the general consensus here on which are the best (or better) modes now? This is my first year playing with the Diamond Dynasty mode, is it good or am I going to be wasting my time?

I am mostly a RTTS junkie. I don't think I played a single online game for 14 even. I might take a crack at Franchise from a manager perspective though this year.

The Beard

Glad to see the bullshit that is "you can't be good every game" still exists (pure, dripping sarcasm)

I pitched 4 games yesterday with my 99 overall Show 14 RttS player. First 3 I gave up one run off a homer and struck out 15 or more each game. 4th game I started not getting clear calls, not border calls, but sometimes mid-low strike zone. Two back to back errors counted as hits. Then, I made a play to third and the third baseman literally walked back to the base, waited, then let the opposing player slide underneath him. Next play was a grand slam.

That's one thing that really bugs me about this game. It blatantly forces dumb shit to happen from time to time just because. It's bullshit.

Online is still a piece of shit. Never change :(

I got the game yesterday and played 6 online games. After my last post where I played 4 games and 2 froze up, I played 2 more. The first one got to the 2nd inning and the guy conceded on a 0-0 tie. The second game was insane. Bottom of the 9th tied 0-0, I had 22 strikeouts against this dude, and he was pitching a no hitter against me. I'm up to bat. I have a runner on first (walk) with no outs, and the fucking game FREEZES up!!! Jesus Christ!

So far 3 out of 6 online games have froze smh. I asked the last guy what happened on his screen, and he said his screen froze too.

I haven't played Show in a very long time. Definitely not in the past 5-6 years, anyway, but I grabbed 16 and am really digging it so far.

That being said, I was wondering what people consider to be the best (or at least most enjoyable) methods of hitting and pitching. I'm mostly focusing on the RttS with a RP, although I might eventually start over as a 1B or maybe a SP. I put the game on rookie mode, so I haven't run into much trouble in terms of getting people out, but I'm also really sucking at hitting the pulse or the meter with any accuracy or consistency. Any tips for that? Or is it just a "get gud" kind of thing? And is the pitching location based on where you put the cursor or is it based on where the pitch will end up?

For that matter, any general tips to keep in mind?

Kumquat

I haven't played Show in a very long time. Definitely not in the past 5-6 years, anyway, but I grabbed 16 and am really digging it so far.

That being said, I was wondering what people consider to be the best (or at least most enjoyable) methods of hitting and pitching. I'm mostly focusing on the RttS with a RP, although I might eventually start over as a 1B or maybe a SP. I put the game on rookie mode, so I haven't run into much trouble in terms of getting people out, but I'm also really sucking at hitting the pulse or the meter with any accuracy or consistency. Any tips for that? Or is it just a "get gud" kind of thing? And is the pitching location based on where you put the cursor or is it based on where the pitch will end up?

For that matter, any general tips to keep in mind?

Knuckle ball best ball.

That was my primary pitch for my starting pitcher in 14 and it is a wonderful setup pitch. Then you drop the high fastball in for the strike out or a wicked slider.

Couch verses has always been good. You can pretty much watch and footage and you'll get an idea of what it's like. The only difference is that the camera will always be behind the batter for pitching on either side.

Picked it up. We're both loving it! Especially her.

Yama

Anyone else getting incorrect online play stats on your profile card? Played five games, went 4-1, yet says 0-0 as if I've played nothing and says Last 10 0-4. :/

The Beard

Anyone else getting incorrect online play stats on your profile card? Played five games, went 4-1, yet says 0-0 as if I've played nothing and says Last 10 0-4. :/

Yes. It only recorded 3 of my 6 games yesterday. I think it takes a while for them to register due to the servers getting hammered the last couple days.

abrack08

... does anyone know exactly how the Heal RTTS Injury thing you can get with Stubbs works? My guy (Professor Soup) tore his Achilles in the 2nd week of the season, and I stupidly has auto-auto-save turned on. The moment I went back to the menu it auto saved and I got the notification I'm on the 60 day DL. I would get the Heal Injury item no problem... but I'm worried since I'm already on the DL I'd still be out for 60 days (which would be super lame).

Edit: And because I'm impatient I bought/used it right away rather than waiting for anyone to reply. If anyone is curious, it healed the injury AND removed my player from the DL. Phew.

So I have been having trouble adjusting to the stride part of Pure Analog batting in RTTS where my strides on the right analog stick would be short and cause me to check my swing .
Go into franchise mode, play a game, boom, first pitch no doubter with Troy Tulowitzki. lol

The Show is probably my favorite sports game series out there next to NBA 2k, they always seem to improve. This year is the first year where i've dove into their online play with Diamond Dynasty and Battle Royale. So far i've had no issues so far with online which is a huge surprise, because I remember always hearing that online was the weakest part of the series.

Just curious how many 'tickets' some of you guys have at this point towards the Captains' rewards?

I've been playing for a couple hours every night since Tuesday, and I currently have about 125 tickets. I haven't been actively going for the Captains' missions yet, although I am halfway on a couple of different missions.

Just wondering if anybody has actually accumulated close to 500 tickets yet, or if it's a bit of a grind. The highest captain level I have right now is 10 so I'm sure it will take a while to hit level 30 to even access the top cards.

Pulled a diamond Mike Trout last night! I think I'll probably sell him to fund a ton of packs. Decisions, decisions...

I couldn't get into Diamond Dynasty last year, but the addition of conquest mode and the three inning battles has sealed the deal. I love the single player option, and knocking out short games against other players.

IvanJ

Banned
Just curious how many 'tickets' some of you guys have at this point towards the Captains' rewards?

I've been playing for a couple hours every night since Tuesday, and I currently have about 125 tickets. I haven't been actively going for the Captains' missions yet, although I am halfway on a couple of different missions.

Just wondering if anybody has actually accumulated close to 500 tickets yet, or if it's a bit of a grind. The highest captain level I have right now is 10 so I'm sure it will take a while to hit level 30 to even access the top cards.
I played 7 Battle Royale matches, and maybe 10 Conquests.
So far I have 212 tickets, level 12.
My captain is Donaldson, and the task to play with batters over 75 Clutch. Honestly, I didn't even look what my players have for that stat, but the counter is spinning like crazy. Already completed it 4 times.
Which is a bit disappointing, I thought the task will change when completed.

My captain is Donaldson, and the task to play with batters over 75 Clutch. Honestly, I didn't even look what my players have for that stat, but the counter is spinning like crazy. Already completed it 4 times.

Just a quick tip which I don't think was posted here. When you look at your cards in Diamond Dynasty you'll notice that there are little circles in the lower right that may or may not be filled in with a little letter C. Those correspond to the 6 captains. If there is a C filled in the far left circle then that card will fulfill the Donaldson challenge. If all 6 are filled in then it works for all 6 captain's challenges. It's a quick way to look at your cards and see if they will help you progress in a particular captain's challenge.

Great thanks for the feedback! I'm also hoping that they will update the Captains' missions throughout the year, as it's nice to add some variety to your lineup with the different mission requirements.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Love this series. GOAT!

Quick side question... I had pre-ordered the MVP Edition off of Best Buy in-store pick up. I did not see any code for the pre-order bonus (with the Rookie Card, etc.), anyone else have this issue?

The Beard

Just a quick tip which I don't think was posted here. When you look at your cards in Diamond Dynasty you'll notice that there are little circles in the lower right that may or may not be filled in with a little letter C. Those correspond to the 6 captains. If there is a C filled in the far left circle then that card will fulfill the Donaldson challenge. If all 6 are filled in then it works for all 6 captain's challenges. It's a quick way to look at your cards and see if they will help you progress in a particular captain's challenge.

Thanks for that. There's a lot of things in this game that aren't exactly intuitive.

So, how does the Donaldson challenge work? Do you play 1 guy with 75+ clutch, or as many as possible? Also, do I have to designate one of my players as Captain? It's all pretty confusing to me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have the graphics improved or not?

Posted in review thread.

They started incorporating PBR this year for the stadiums... so hopefully next year that is built upon even more with them, as well as the players, etc..

At first glance you may not notice due to it being familiar, but if you spend more time with it, it is a huge jump over last year.

http://www.operationsports.com/news...tadium-in-mlb-the-show-16-vs-mlb-15-the-show/

Top 16, bottom 15:
1454713158-media.jpg

I've only played the show 13, I enjoyed it a bit but disliked how it wasn't possible to win unless your team really put in work. Really contemplating getting this one.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've only played the show 13, I enjoyed it a bit but disliked how it wasn't possible to win unless your team really put in work. Really contemplating getting this one.

Difficulty levels are more scalable since (they added a lot, and individual ones for pitching, hitting, fielding, etc.). They also have dynamic difficulty as well.

IvanJ

Banned

Thanks for that tip, I was wondering what those meant.
I'll try to reshuffle my team then, make my goal to reach level 30 with all captains

The rest of the collection and performance challenges should get completed on the way there.

Thanks for that. There's a lot of things in this game that aren't exactly intuitive.

So, how does the Donaldson challenge work? Do you play 1 guy with 75+ clutch, or as many as possible? Also, do I have to designate one of my players as Captain? It's all pretty confusing to me.

I believe the counter ticks up by 1 for every guy in your lineup with 75+ clutch. So if you have 5 guys in your lineup with 75+ clutch, every game you play with that lineup will add 5 to the challenge progress. You don't have to designate a guy on your team as a captain. Only time you do anything about captain's is if you want to switch to one of the other 5 challenges other than Donaldson.

I bought the Show every year from 09-12 and could NEVER figure out hitting. I skipped 13 and 14 and bought it last year (I couldn't pass up the fake wood steelbook for the Collector's Edition). I still sucked and got super frustrated and vowed to never buy again unless a Royals player was on the cover.

Now I'm reading through this thread and am halfway out the door. Someone stop me!

Artdayne

I'm glad to hear that they finally added the ability to play consecutive games without going back to the menu, I've been wanting that for years.

I'm still not sure whether I'll pick it up this year or just continue to play last year's game. I play RTTS exclusively so idk.

Huge baseball fan here and I bought last years version because it was the first time I had a Playstation product since PS2-era.

Looks great, and the product just oozes quality, but could never quite figure out the hitting. Subsequently, it felt like when I played RTTS (which super appeals to me in theory), I would just totally suck in the opening games that decided my draft and feel really downtrodden so I would stop playing.

So by posting this I am basically begging someone to make me figure it out because I want to love it.

The Beard

I believe the counter ticks up by 1 for every guy in your lineup with 75+ clutch. So if you have 5 guys in your lineup with 75+ clutch, every game you play with that lineup will add 5 to the challenge progress. You don't have to designate a guy on your team as a captain. Only time you do anything about captain's is if you want to switch to one of the other 5 challenges other than Donaldson.

Cool, thank you. It wasn't clear to me last night when I was checking it out.

DD is pretty fun. I was finally able to complete an online game last night, which was nice. It was 1 am on the west coast so that's probably why the servers didn't shit the bed again, because no one was on.

Any advice for a complete noob? I seem to be okay at pitching, but batting is proving to be a challenge.

I'd recommend changing the batting view if you haven't already. The default fish eye lens makes the pitcher seem like he's 100 yards away (even on my 50" from 4' away), which makes it harder to track the ball from the pitchers hand. You really have to watch the ball and just work on your timing. Timing is the biggest thing.

It sucks that there isn't a batting practice mode (at least I don't think there is) besides the mini games. I'd love to just stand in the box and get an unlimited amount of pitches every 2-3 seconds to work on timing. The practice challenge takes too long between pitches, it's like 10+ seconds.

WadeitOut

Is anyone else having constant frame rate issues? I have primarily only played RttS but it's been bad in every game so far. Especially when it's raining.

GravyButt

I feel so hosed. First time playing DD so I bought the Donaldson captain card pack for 2.5k stubs thinking id get his card or something. Nope. 3 bronzes. Grrrr

I picked up the show as well and as usual I'm sticking to what I always do in baseball games, stick to my season mode and play the 162 game season and post season hopefully.

Catch: I haven't played an MLB The Show game in years, using dynamic difficulty and I can hold my own when pitching. BUT, I can't hit for shit. I refuse to use guess pitch because it feels unnatural and not like I remember it The Show 2010.

Any pointers to make me a successful hitter? Can't lay off the breaking and off-speed stuff. Get fooled by the changeup almsot every time.

Which captain are people using anyways?

Hosmer, obviously! No real idea what any of them do, but the choice was still clear.

Odd, in that he's not the team's "true" captain...

I picked up the show as well and as usual I'm sticking to what I always do in baseball games, stick to my season mode and play the 162 game season and post season hopefully.

Catch: I haven't played an MLB The Show game in years, using dynamic difficulty and I can hold my own when pitching. BUT, I can't hit for shit. I refuse to use guess pitch because it feels unnatural and not like I remember it The Show 2010.

Any pointers to make me a successful hitter? Can't lay off the breaking and off-speed stuff. Get fooled by the changeup almsot every time.

I got a lot of great advice last year from Ph33nix and company, so I'll spill the beans! For the record, I still struggle to hit as well. You aren't alone. I usually only get 4-7 hits per game, and 2-4 runs. So take all this with a huge grain of salt.

- Turn off the pitch guessing in the options. I also suggest turning off the hot/cold zones, as they are meaningless to how you'll approach the at bat.

- There are three main hitting systems. The top players all seem to gravitate towards zone hitting, so if you can get a feel for it, that's probably the way to go (I can't!). Zone gives you the most overall control of bat placement and the resulting spray of the ball. It's also easier in terms of hit timing, but overall a more complicated and advanced system. Having to not only see the ball trajectory but also move your plate coverage indicator can be overwhelming. Luckily, in All Star difficulty the bat naturally covers the vast majority of the strike zone. In other words, you can technically play zone without worrying too much about moving your bat around. People say it works, but I can't do it.

- Directional hitting is fairly straightforward, but you get penalized more for bad timing. You can use the left stick to "aim" the ball where you want it to go, and in a perfect world you can slap a ball into the gaps or down the lines. If you aren't spot-on in your timing, you'll end up fouling off a TON of balls and grounding out every other at bat. This system is perfectly functional, and simpler than zone hitting, but you seem to be struggling with timing so I'd be aware of the downside.

- I've grown to really like analog swinging. This year reintroduced the stride swing, which wasn't around in the '15 version. GalacticMouse suggested on the last page that I try it out. After four games I've determined I really like it. It's simpler than zone, but doesn't seem to have quite as harsh a penalty as directional hitting. With stride swing, you pull down on the right stick to begin the batter's stride, then it's all about timing when you push the stick forward to match up with the pitch. You lose the control over the ball trajectory that you get from zone hitting (and notionally from directional hitting). Analog hitting is all about timing, pitch location, and the batter's ability ratings to determine where the ball goes. Swing early or late and you'll still foul the ball off, but I seem to have better luck getting solid hits with this. There's also a flick option, where you flick up for normal swings, pull back then forward for power swings, and hit sideways for contact. It's alright, but stride feels better to me. I don't imagine I'll be competing with the top players unless I learn zone, but analog feels realistic and seems like a good compromise between control and getting overwhelmed.

- The very best advice I got last year on hitting came from Ph33nix. Bottom line: you have to take pitches. If you immediately start swinging at wild stuff out of the strike zone, your opponent (CPU but especially players) will cream you. Some pitches are easier to read out of the pitcher's hand than others. Speed differences between fastballs and change ups feel exaggerated in the game, to be honest. Curveballs and sliders that end up painting the corner of the plate for a strike aren't necessarily a pitch you want to swing at, because even if you do make contact it's unlikely to result in anything favorable.

- Work pitch counts. I am starting to force my opponent to throw a strike before I even swing. There are obvious times when this might not work, and you do run the risk of being down in the count...BUT it helps drive up the pitch count and forces your opponent to throw strikes. If you can get into a 2-0 or 3-1 type of a count, you're very likely to get a fastball over the plate. That's when you'll do the most damage. After setting up a clear pattern of always taking the first strike, don't be afraid to smash the first pitch 4-seamer coming right down the middle when you see it. Be patient, but avoid becoming too predictable.

- It's perfectly fine to wait on a specific pitch. Ph33 suggests ignoring the greater strike zone and create your own narrower window of what you'll swing at. If you get a pitch there, clobber it. If you don't, lay off. You'll need to be willing to expand that window as you fall behind in the count, since you'll need to protect the plate to avoid taking a strikeout. Since almost everyone plays with variance in the umps strike zone instead of robot umps, you can lay off of stuff that's borderline. Umps will call balls as strikes, and vice versa. Unless you are going to get solid contact, there's not a good reason to swing at something borderline early in the pitch count. Don't let the strike zone overlay determine your reaction.

- Finally, practice makes perfect. The more time you log in game, the better you'll get at recognizing pitches. You have under a second to respond to stuff on All Star difficulty, so you have to work on split second decision making. Humans and the CPU both start to have somewhat predictable patterns if you pay attention. I usually set people up for a strikeout on a curveball or change up low or below the zone. Great hitters like Ph33nix know this, and will gladly take that pitch. Beginners like me are more likely to chase after it and strikeout. You can usually identify a curve based on the initial release arc, and quickly determine if it's going for a strike or not.

RTTS. Top of the ninth. Opposing team down 3 runs. My dude is in to seal the save.

Commentary track: "they need to get at least one run back here in this inning."

-_____________-

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Anyone create a community yet on ps4? If not I just made one, called MLB-GAF. Send requests and I'll approve y'all.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
I have no way to prove it but it seems to me that the game is running at a slower framerate at Rogers Centre than other places. Did my first 4 road games and right away something didn't look right for the home game. Pitcher and batter animations look weird, and the ball coming in looks choppy. Anyone else seeing this?

Hosmer, obviously! No real idea what any of them do, but the choice was still clear.

Odd, in that he's not the team's "true" captain...

I got a lot of great advice last year from Ph33nix and company, so I'll spill the beans! For the record, I still struggle to hit as well. You aren't alone. I usually only get 4-7 hits per game, and 2-4 runs. So take all this with a huge grain of salt.

- Turn off the pitch guessing in the options. I also suggest turning off the hot/cold zones, as they are meaningless to how you'll approach the at bat.

- There are three main hitting systems. The top players all seem to gravitate towards zone hitting, so if you can get a feel for it, that's probably the way to go (I can't!). Zone gives you the most overall control of bat placement and the resulting spray of the ball. It's also easier in terms of hit timing, but overall a more complicated and advanced system. Having to not only see the ball trajectory but also move your plate coverage indicator can be overwhelming. Luckily, in All Star difficulty the bat naturally covers the vast majority of the strike zone. In other words, you can technically play zone without worrying too much about moving your bat around. People say it works, but I can't do it.

- Directional hitting is fairly straightforward, but you get penalized more for bad timing. You can use the left stick to "aim" the ball where you want it to go, and in a perfect world you can slap a ball into the gaps or down the lines. If you aren't spot-on in your timing, you'll end up fouling off a TON of balls and grounding out every other at bat. This system is perfectly functional, and simpler than zone hitting, but you seem to be struggling with timing so I'd be aware of the downside.

- I've grown to really like analog swinging. This year reintroduced the stride swing, which wasn't around in the '15 version. GalacticMouse suggested on the last page that I try it out. After four games I've determined I really like it. It's simpler than zone, but doesn't seem to have quite as harsh a penalty as directional hitting. With stride swing, you pull down on the right stick to begin the batter's stride, then it's all about timing when you push the stick forward to match up with the pitch. You lose the control over the ball trajectory that you get from zone hitting (and notionally from directional hitting). Analog hitting is all about timing, pitch location, and the batter's ability ratings to determine where the ball goes. Swing early or late and you'll still foul the ball off, but I seem to have better luck getting solid hits with this. There's also a flick option, where you flick up for normal swings, pull back then forward for power swings, and hit sideways for contact. It's alright, but stride feels better to me. I don't imagine I'll be competing with the top players unless I learn zone, but analog feels realistic and seems like a good compromise between control and getting overwhelmed.

- The very best advice I got last year on hitting came from Ph33nix. Bottom line: you have to take pitches. If you immediately start swinging at wild stuff out of the strike zone, your opponent (CPU but especially players) will cream you. Some pitches are easier to read out of the pitcher's hand than others. Speed differences between fastballs and change ups feel exaggerated in the game, to be honest. Curveballs and sliders that end up painting the corner of the plate for a strike aren't necessarily a pitch you want to swing at, because even if you do make contact it's unlikely to result in anything favorable.

- Work pitch counts. I am starting to force my opponent to throw a strike before I even swing. There are obvious times when this might not work, and you do run the risk of being down in the count...BUT it helps drive up the pitch count and forces your opponent to throw strikes. If you can get into a 2-0 or 3-1 type of a count, you're very likely to get a fastball over the plate. That's when you'll do the most damage. After setting up a clear pattern of always taking the first strike, don't be afraid to smash the first pitch 4-seamer coming right down the middle when you see it. Be patient, but avoid becoming too predictable.

- It's perfectly fine to wait on a specific pitch. Ph33 suggests ignoring the greater strike zone and create your own narrower window of what you'll swing at. If you get a pitch there, clobber it. If you don't, lay off. You'll need to be willing to expand that window as you fall behind in the count, since you'll need to protect the plate to avoid taking a strikeout. Since almost everyone plays with variance in the umps strike zone instead of robot umps, you can lay off of stuff that's borderline. Umps will call balls as strikes, and vice versa. Unless you are going to get solid contact, there's not a good reason to swing at something borderline early in the pitch count. Don't let the strike zone overlay determine your reaction.

- Finally, practice makes perfect. The more time you log in game, the better you'll get at recognizing pitches. You have under a second to respond to stuff on All Star difficulty, so you have to work on split second decision making. Humans and the CPU both start to have somewhat predictable patterns if you pay attention. I usually set people up for a strikeout on a curveball or change up low or below the zone. Great hitters like Ph33nix know this, and will gladly take that pitch. Beginners like me are more likely to chase after it and strikeout. You can usually identify a curve based on the initial release arc, and quickly determine if it's going for a strike or not.

Thanks tragic. I'm gonna play some exhibition games and try out the different options. Taking pitches and working the count has to be key for me. I'm getting down in the count and not laying off bad pitches.

Top Bottom