• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

So with zone hitting the game is more lenient on timing?

Because I'm good at recognizing pitch location, but my timing is generally weak. So if I switch to zone hitting I should do better?

This game is addicting af. Grown to love analog hitting. Currently 5-0 with my Tigers in Franchise. Went with Rizzo as my captain, I like the kid.

Anyone create a community yet on ps4? If not I just made one, called MLB-GAF. Send requests and I'll approve y'all.

I just joined the community. Thanks for making it! Hope we can get a lot of guys in there and get some friendly games going or even just discussion. Glad to see so many people enjoying the game this year, as I'm crazy addicted lol.

Slacker

Anyone else having problems with auto base running? I just finished an excruciating 20 inning game where at least five times (starting in the eighth inning) I lost a baserunner due to him not doing what he should. I had runners freeze on caught pop ups, and more than once when I sent a runner to steal second then ended up making contact with the pitch the runner turned into stone between first and second. Very frustrating. I ended up eeking out a win, otherwise I would have rage quit so hard. :)

I need your advice. When you give this advice, please try to be practical as opposed to erring on the side of "just get this game!", because you love it.

I love watching baseball. I love the whole atmosphere of it and everything, and I've been a lifelong Red Sox fan (don't hate me) -- 2003 might have been the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and 2004 might have been the most glorious. I'm _not_ an expert on the game... I know and love the rules, I understand the stats, but I can't, like, tell most pitches one from another from just seeing them thrown. Moreover, I am a COMPLETE noob at baseball sim games.

In 2008, I was seduced by the acclaim of MLB The Show and bought the game for PS3. I was really excited. I set it to, I think, the easiest level and started playing exhibitions. I sucked so so hard. I started getting the hang of pitching eventually, and I may have made contact a couple of times when batting, but I was the absolute worst at base-running. If the ball was in play with 2+ runners on, I just got completely flustered and made idiotic suicidal mistakes. Similarly with fielding... just awfully incompetent.

My problem was that the game's difficulty curve was completely inappropriate for me. I wanted to get better, but there was no tutorial and no easy way to practice the basics. I could have used a mode where I could repeatedly trigger a hit into shallow right field with a runner on 2nd, just so I could practice the base running or the fielding of that play, but there was no such mode. So I had to play real games which was incredibly frustrating. Hell, IIRC, the fucking button mappings weren't even clearly shown, let alone smoothly introduced as in most games. I mean they were probably in the manual, but that's just lame.

I think I quit after a few hours of this torture. I still have the game on my shelf, because I don't sell games, and also to remind me of the experience in case I am tempted to repeat it.

---

8 years later, MLB The Show calls to me once again with this apparently stellar 2016 edition. I want to learn and to be good and to play a nice single-player season as a manager or maybe RTTS, or whatever is the in thing these days.

But I am afraid it might be another waste of $60 due to the impenetrability of the game to noobs like me.

So my question is this: Is the game at all noob-friendly nowadays? Is there a fun learning curve for a baseball sim noob (and a not-too-knowledgeable but passionate real baseball fan) like me, in this game here? Or is it still basically for the hardcore people?

---

Also, was my impression of the 2008 game accurate? Is it actually considered noob-friendly, and I'm just somehow way out of touch?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I still can't play any random ranked online games against anyone. Fails every time. Managed to connect and play 1 game via online battle mode. That's about it.

This is some bs. There is nothing with my connection.

Never had this issue with any Show ever.

Managed to play one online game and that was against Zep who's on my friends list.

I was struggling at first with the hitting in this game and all of the sudden it just "clicked". I just stomped Yordano Ventura with the Mets 9-0 (why couldn't this happen in the World Series...). Matt Harvey is a god in The Show. No less than 10k's a game. God I love baseball.

I need your advice. When you give this advice, please try to be practical as opposed to erring on the side of "just get this game!", because you love it.

I love watching baseball. I love the whole atmosphere of it and everything, and I've been a lifelong Red Sox fan (don't hate me) -- 2003 might have been the most painful thing I've ever experienced, and 2004 might have been the most glorious. I'm _not_ an expert on the game... I know and love the rules, I understand the stats, but I can't, like, tell most pitches one from another from just seeing them thrown. Moreover, I am a COMPLETE noob at baseball sim games.

In 2008, I was seduced by the acclaim of MLB The Show and bought the game for PS3. I was really excited. I set it to, I think, the easiest level and started playing exhibitions. I sucked so so hard. I started getting the hang of pitching eventually, and I may have made contact a couple of times when batting, but I was the absolute worst at base-running. If the ball was in play with 2+ runners on, I just got completely flustered and made idiotic suicidal mistakes. Similarly with fielding... just awfully incompetent.

My problem was that the game's difficulty curve was completely inappropriate for me. I wanted to get better, but there was no tutorial and no easy way to practice the basics. I could have used a mode where I could repeatedly trigger a hit into shallow right field with a runner on 2nd, just so I could practice the base running or the fielding of that play, but there was no such mode. So I had to play real games which was incredibly frustrating. Hell, IIRC, the fucking button mappings weren't even clearly shown, let alone smoothly introduced as in most games. I mean they were probably in the manual, but that's just lame.

I think I quit after a few hours of this torture. I still have the game on my shelf, because I don't sell games, and also to remind me of the experience in case I am tempted to repeat it.

---

8 years later, MLB The Show calls to me once again with this apparently stellar 2016 edition. I want to learn and to be good and to play a nice single-player season as a manager or maybe RTTS, or whatever is the in thing these days.

But I am afraid it might be another waste of $60 due to the impenetrability of the game to noobs like me.

So my question is this: Is the game at all noob-friendly nowadays? Is there a fun learning curve for a baseball sim noob (and a not-too-knowledgeable but passionate real baseball fan) like me, in this game here? Or is it still basically for the hardcore people?

---

Also, was my impression of the 2008 game accurate? Is it actually considered noob-friendly, and I'm just somehow way out of touch?

I realize this isn't exactly a definitive answer, but... The Show 16 still isn't "noob-friendly", but I think it's definitely making strides.

The biggest difference, compared to the last time you played, is the hitting options. Sony San Diego's approach to finding the best hitting control scheme is more or less, "we're going to support all of the control schemes we can think of, and balance each of them so that none of them are way easier or harder for everyone to use." Most of the options are simple to understand, easy to learn, but hard to master. I prefer zone hitting because I personally think it gives the easiest route to being a competent (not great, but competent) hitter, but all of the schemes are implemented well, and the tutorial options explain the various schemes well. That being said, hitting is not easy, not by a long shot. But it's definitely more accessible than before.

If you're bad at base running, I definitely recommend playing RTTS as your main mode. It's still a great mode, you can play a whole series in something like 30-40 minutes, and playing as one player makes base running so much easier. If you don't like dealing with runners ahead of you, you can set RTTS to skip baserunning scenarios where you aren't the lead runner, which helps a lot.

Going back to hitting - if you want to try zone hitting, I recommend starting with the following approach, which is still my default approach after thousands of plate appearances:

- Never swing at the first pitch. This does a few things for you. One, if you're bad at hitting, it gives the pitcher a chance to throw a ball and help you out. More importantly, it gives you a chance to see a pitch and establish some timing. The easiest way to get into bad counts is to swing at early pitches when you aren't calibrated to the pitcher's delivery or velocity.
- Use guess pitch for both pitch type and zone. I prefer the pitcher's primary fastball (the one he throws the most), looking inside, because that's the easiest pitch to time correctly and hit with pull power, but the key is to look for a specific pitch in a specific spot. What guess pitch does is, if the pitcher is actually throwing a fastball inside, that spot in the zone will glow and the zone will lock on that location - all you have to do is time the swing and you're likely to crush it. This is the exception to the first pitch swing rule - if guess pitch tells you what's coming and it's what you want, swing away, because you probably won't get a better pitch later.
- With less than two strikes, after you set your guess pitch, set up with the zone in a different quadrant of the zone - this is because if guess pitch doesn't lock in, you know the pitch is probably going somewhere else. If you get a pitch in this area and it looks like a strike (and it's not the first pitch), try to hit it; otherwise, lay off.
- With two strikes, you need to be protective, but in general the goal here is to make the pitcher throw you something hittable. To this end, I recommend keeping the same approach as above, but using the contact swing button. In a 0-2 or 1-2 count, assume the pitcher is trying to throw you a ball to get you to chase - this will occasionally leave you late trying to catch up to a fastball in the zone, but for every one of those, you'll see five high fastballs or breaking balls out of the zone.
- Oh, and key to all of this: try to sit in the same spot with relation to the screen. Judging pitches quickly is basically impossible if your perspective is different for each pitch. The angle itself doesn't really matter, but pick one and stick to it.

The goal of all of the above is to encourage practices that lead to better results. Taking the first pitch, and waiting for your pitch in general, means that you see more pitches, and that the ones you do swing at are more likely to be in good hitting locations - and when those pitches do come, they aren't a surprise, because they're the specific pitch you're looking for. And you -will- get that pitch - in a typical game you will almost always get at least one or two fastballs middle-in.

Honestly, I am not a skilled gamer mechanically speaking. The Show is eminently playable as a hitter these days, as long as you commit to thinking like a hitter. Figure out what pitch you want, tailor your approach to getting that pitch and crushing it, and avoid swinging at other stuff as much as possible. Sometimes this will mean taking pitches that would be hittable if only you were looking for something on the other half of the plate; sometimes this will means taking a strike 3 that a more aggressive approach would have swing at. But in the aggregate, discipline leads to good results, even if you don't have great reflexes.

I think the game is worth a shot if you like baseball.

Thanks for that. Will bookmark this.

What does the game provide in terms of tutorials, training/practice, and even just help on controls (how easy is it to know the complete controls for any given gameplay scenario)? I thin MLB 08 seriously had squat for 2.5 of those 3 categories....

Artdayne

Hosmer, obviously! No real idea what any of them do, but the choice was still clear.

Odd, in that he's not the team's "true" captain...

I got a lot of great advice last year from Ph33nix and company, so I'll spill the beans! For the record, I still struggle to hit as well. You aren't alone. I usually only get 4-7 hits per game, and 2-4 runs. So take all this with a huge grain of salt.

- Turn off the pitch guessing in the options. I also suggest turning off the hot/cold zones, as they are meaningless to how you'll approach the at bat.

- There are three main hitting systems. The top players all seem to gravitate towards zone hitting, so if you can get a feel for it, that's probably the way to go (I can't!). Zone gives you the most overall control of bat placement and the resulting spray of the ball. It's also easier in terms of hit timing, but overall a more complicated and advanced system. Having to not only see the ball trajectory but also move your plate coverage indicator can be overwhelming. Luckily, in All Star difficulty the bat naturally covers the vast majority of the strike zone. In other words, you can technically play zone without worrying too much about moving your bat around. People say it works, but I can't do it.

- Directional hitting is fairly straightforward, but you get penalized more for bad timing. You can use the left stick to "aim" the ball where you want it to go, and in a perfect world you can slap a ball into the gaps or down the lines. If you aren't spot-on in your timing, you'll end up fouling off a TON of balls and grounding out every other at bat. This system is perfectly functional, and simpler than zone hitting, but you seem to be struggling with timing so I'd be aware of the downside.

- I've grown to really like analog swinging. This year reintroduced the stride swing, which wasn't around in the '15 version. GalacticMouse suggested on the last page that I try it out. After four games I've determined I really like it. It's simpler than zone, but doesn't seem to have quite as harsh a penalty as directional hitting. With stride swing, you pull down on the right stick to begin the batter's stride, then it's all about timing when you push the stick forward to match up with the pitch. You lose the control over the ball trajectory that you get from zone hitting (and notionally from directional hitting). Analog hitting is all about timing, pitch location, and the batter's ability ratings to determine where the ball goes. Swing early or late and you'll still foul the ball off, but I seem to have better luck getting solid hits with this. There's also a flick option, where you flick up for normal swings, pull back then forward for power swings, and hit sideways for contact. It's alright, but stride feels better to me. I don't imagine I'll be competing with the top players unless I learn zone, but analog feels realistic and seems like a good compromise between control and getting overwhelmed.

- The very best advice I got last year on hitting came from Ph33nix. Bottom line: you have to take pitches. If you immediately start swinging at wild stuff out of the strike zone, your opponent (CPU but especially players) will cream you. Some pitches are easier to read out of the pitcher's hand than others. Speed differences between fastballs and change ups feel exaggerated in the game, to be honest. Curveballs and sliders that end up painting the corner of the plate for a strike aren't necessarily a pitch you want to swing at, because even if you do make contact it's unlikely to result in anything favorable.

- Work pitch counts. I am starting to force my opponent to throw a strike before I even swing. There are obvious times when this might not work, and you do run the risk of being down in the count...BUT it helps drive up the pitch count and forces your opponent to throw strikes. If you can get into a 2-0 or 3-1 type of a count, you're very likely to get a fastball over the plate. That's when you'll do the most damage. After setting up a clear pattern of always taking the first strike, don't be afraid to smash the first pitch 4-seamer coming right down the middle when you see it. Be patient, but avoid becoming too predictable.

- It's perfectly fine to wait on a specific pitch. Ph33 suggests ignoring the greater strike zone and create your own narrower window of what you'll swing at. If you get a pitch there, clobber it. If you don't, lay off. You'll need to be willing to expand that window as you fall behind in the count, since you'll need to protect the plate to avoid taking a strikeout. Since almost everyone plays with variance in the umps strike zone instead of robot umps, you can lay off of stuff that's borderline. Umps will call balls as strikes, and vice versa. Unless you are going to get solid contact, there's not a good reason to swing at something borderline early in the pitch count. Don't let the strike zone overlay determine your reaction.

- Finally, practice makes perfect. The more time you log in game, the better you'll get at recognizing pitches. You have under a second to respond to stuff on All Star difficulty, so you have to work on split second decision making. Humans and the CPU both start to have somewhat predictable patterns if you pay attention. I usually set people up for a strikeout on a curveball or change up low or below the zone. Great hitters like Ph33nix know this, and will gladly take that pitch. Beginners like me are more likely to chase after it and strikeout. You can usually identify a curve based on the initial release arc, and quickly determine if it's going for a strike or not.

This is some great advice. A lot of stuff that I have learned to do over the many years of playing MLB the Show. For me, I had to learn to not be afraid of 2 strike counts and I also change up what type of swing I use based on the count. If I have 2 strikes and anything less than 3 balls, I will mostly use the contact swing.

You have to get ahead in the count in order to see the best pitches. When I have 0 strikes, I focus on a small portion of the strike zone, my wheel house, that I will swing at. When I have 1 strike, I open it up a bit more, but it's still not the full length of the strike zone. When I have 2 strikes, I use the contact swing like I said and will hit or foul off anything that is on the fringe of the strike zone. I rarely use the power swing, sometimes I will use it on 2-0 counts or 3-1 counts but most of the time I use the normal swing.

GravyButt

Can anyone explain the captains packs to me? Why did I just waste 2500 stubs for 3 bronze players?! I must be missing something?!

gambit1975

Neo Member
Specifically batting in RttS. Is anyone else experiencing problems with difficulty moving at all while batting? I haven't tried pitching but I am a month and a half in to the season batting over .400 and the difficulty hasn't adjusted once.

Thanks for that. Will bookmark this.

What does the game provide in terms of tutorials, training/practice, and even just help on controls (how easy is it to know the complete controls for any given gameplay scenario)? I thin MLB 08 seriously had squat for 2.5 of those 3 categories....

The controls guide is easy to access in-game. In most scenarios the controls really aren't that complicated anymore - especially in RTTS, where there aren't ever more than a few things your player can do at any given time. There are also some options to simplify controls. For example, you can set fielding to use the same button for dive and jump, and the game will choose the correct action based on context.

For tutorials I strongly recommend starting with RTTS. RTTS starts with a prospect showcase that covers all of the different gameplay areas - how to hit, how to guess pitch, how to steal a base, etc.

There is a dedicated practice mode - I haven't used it so I can't speak to how it's structured, but I would imagine it at least has options for all of the main activities (batting/pitching/fielding/baserunning).

styl3s

I think i just don't get how hitting works in the game because i only actually hit a non-foul like 1/20 times with analog/flick. It looks like i am hitting the ball at the right time but its a foul every single time and i spent an hour last night in batting practice and made no progress.

The batting just isn't clicking with me.

IvanJ

Banned
I never found hitting to be difficult, so I am somewhat surprised reading all this.
I always use face buttons for hitting, X for a regular swing 99% of the time. I guess to me it's the easiest, of course sometimes I swing at a slow curve, but not often.
Do what others suggested, be patient. I just look for balls in the top 2/3 of the batter box, and the farther 2/3 vertically (basically 4/9 of the zone).
So I take a lot of pitches, chances are good if it's the bottom 1/3 it is breaking ball in the dirt, and if it's in the 1/3 vertical next to the batter he will get jammed and pop up foul or in the infield.
If you're struggling and manage to get a runner on 1st with no outs, bunt with the next batter and at least you move your runner and avoid double play.

It comes down to practice, using this method my RTTS guy is always leading the league with around .400 BA.
Sure, it's not perfect, sometimes I hit a slump and go 0 for 30, but I am usually achieving a 10+ game hitting streak. Sometimes your team loses because you ground into double play in the bottom of the 9th, bases loaded, but that's life.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I got a lot of great advice last year from Ph33nix and company, so I'll spill the beans! For the record, I still struggle to hit as well. You aren't alone. I usually only get 4-7 hits per game, and 2-4 runs. So take all this with a huge grain of salt.

- Turn off the pitch guessing in the options. I also suggest turning off the hot/cold zones, as they are meaningless to how you'll approach the at bat.

- There are three main hitting systems. The top players all seem to gravitate towards zone hitting, so if you can get a feel for it, that's probably the way to go (I can't!). Zone gives you the most overall control of bat placement and the resulting spray of the ball. It's also easier in terms of hit timing, but overall a more complicated and advanced system. Having to not only see the ball trajectory but also move your plate coverage indicator can be overwhelming. Luckily, in All Star difficulty the bat naturally covers the vast majority of the strike zone. In other words, you can technically play zone without worrying too much about moving your bat around. People say it works, but I can't do it.

- Directional hitting is fairly straightforward, but you get penalized more for bad timing. You can use the left stick to "aim" the ball where you want it to go, and in a perfect world you can slap a ball into the gaps or down the lines. If you aren't spot-on in your timing, you'll end up fouling off a TON of balls and grounding out every other at bat. This system is perfectly functional, and simpler than zone hitting, but you seem to be struggling with timing so I'd be aware of the downside.

- I've grown to really like analog swinging. This year reintroduced the stride swing, which wasn't around in the '15 version. GalacticMouse suggested on the last page that I try it out. After four games I've determined I really like it. It's simpler than zone, but doesn't seem to have quite as harsh a penalty as directional hitting. With stride swing, you pull down on the right stick to begin the batter's stride, then it's all about timing when you push the stick forward to match up with the pitch. You lose the control over the ball trajectory that you get from zone hitting (and notionally from directional hitting). Analog hitting is all about timing, pitch location, and the batter's ability ratings to determine where the ball goes. Swing early or late and you'll still foul the ball off, but I seem to have better luck getting solid hits with this. There's also a flick option, where you flick up for normal swings, pull back then forward for power swings, and hit sideways for contact. It's alright, but stride feels better to me. I don't imagine I'll be competing with the top players unless I learn zone, but analog feels realistic and seems like a good compromise between control and getting overwhelmed.

- The very best advice I got last year on hitting came from Ph33nix. Bottom line: you have to take pitches. If you immediately start swinging at wild stuff out of the strike zone, your opponent (CPU but especially players) will cream you. Some pitches are easier to read out of the pitcher's hand than others. Speed differences between fastballs and change ups feel exaggerated in the game, to be honest. Curveballs and sliders that end up painting the corner of the plate for a strike aren't necessarily a pitch you want to swing at, because even if you do make contact it's unlikely to result in anything favorable.

- Work pitch counts. I am starting to force my opponent to throw a strike before I even swing. There are obvious times when this might not work, and you do run the risk of being down in the count...BUT it helps drive up the pitch count and forces your opponent to throw strikes. If you can get into a 2-0 or 3-1 type of a count, you're very likely to get a fastball over the plate. That's when you'll do the most damage. After setting up a clear pattern of always taking the first strike, don't be afraid to smash the first pitch 4-seamer coming right down the middle when you see it. Be patient, but avoid becoming too predictable.

- It's perfectly fine to wait on a specific pitch. Ph33 suggests ignoring the greater strike zone and create your own narrower window of what you'll swing at. If you get a pitch there, clobber it. If you don't, lay off. You'll need to be willing to expand that window as you fall behind in the count, since you'll need to protect the plate to avoid taking a strikeout. Since almost everyone plays with variance in the umps strike zone instead of robot umps, you can lay off of stuff that's borderline. Umps will call balls as strikes, and vice versa. Unless you are going to get solid contact, there's not a good reason to swing at something borderline early in the pitch count. Don't let the strike zone overlay determine your reaction.

- Finally, practice makes perfect. The more time you log in game, the better you'll get at recognizing pitches. You have under a second to respond to stuff on All Star difficulty, so you have to work on split second decision making. Humans and the CPU both start to have somewhat predictable patterns if you pay attention. I usually set people up for a strikeout on a curveball or change up low or below the zone. Great hitters like Ph33nix know this, and will gladly take that pitch. Beginners like me are more likely to chase after it and strikeout. You can usually identify a curve based on the initial release arc, and quickly determine if it's going for a strike or not.

Great advice in here, that a lot of people struggling should read.

I have been playing this series since it's 'rebirth' in '06, a regular on OS, and attended several community events/focus tests for this game. A lot of what he said is echoed. You legit have to think baseball.

So with zone hitting the game is more lenient on timing?

Because I'm good at recognizing pitch location, but my timing is generally weak. So if I switch to zone hitting I should do better?

Yes, it is. Unquestionably. I mean, you still can't completely miss the timing and expect anything good to happen, but the game gives you a more generous window with zone.

The flip side is you are also more likely to miss solid contact if you don't have your bat located correctly. With directional and analog hitting, bat placement is all about the timing. Swing too early and you'll be on top of the ball, too late and you'll usually end up popping up. Those other two modes give you less control over the outcome of solid contact, since the pitch location, timing, and batter abilities play a massive role.

If you can do it, I highly recommend going zone. I struggle with it since I'm always working on identifying pitch locations, so it's not ideal for me. In your case, it would make the most sense. Remember, all the top ranked players use zone for a reason. You have more "control" over what happens to the ball on contact, since you can purposefully drive it a certain direction, lift it in the air by aiming below it, or drive it into the ground by going over the top.

One more thing about zone: on the default All Star difficulty that almost everyone ends up using, the bat basically covers 75% of the strike zone, give or take. So honestly, if you are good at laying off garbage pitches, you can basically use zone without really having to move the left stick much at all. Even if you do get good at moving the left stick around, we're talking about minor overall adjustments. Don't go full throttle on the stick and pull it all the way in a certain direction.

Man, the way the commentary sounds still makes me laugh. I haven't turned it off yet for lols. "His first major league hit: a double" (batter was MLB vet Jhonny Peralta).

Jrmint

RTTS is incredibly fun and addictive. In about a month and a half I'm batting .400.

My ratings are about equal to the Triple A guy, when do you get called up? Does it take most of the season?

IvanJ

Banned
RTTS is incredibly fun and addictive. In about a month and a half I'm batting .400.

My ratings are about equal to the Triple A guy, when do you get called up? Does it take most of the season?
It depends on the quality of your franchise, and on the depth on your position. If you play for a bad team, you might get promoted midway through the season.

Last year, I moved from AA to AAA in July, and then got called up to the majors at the end of September in garbage time when my team (Cubs) got theoretically eliminated from postseason.

In 2014, I spent the whole season in AA, then most of the 2nd season in AAA.

gambit1975

Neo Member
Specifically batting in RttS. Is anyone else experiencing problems with difficulty moving at all while batting? I haven't tried pitching but I am a month and a half in to the season batting over .400 and the difficulty hasn't adjusted once.
I made a pitcher and the difficulty seemed to work a lot better than when playing a position player. Seems that dynamic difficulty for position players in at least RttS may not be working correctly.

The Beard

Is there a secret to decreasing errors? Specifically dropped pop-ups? I'll be in the catch circle, right under the ball, then I just drop the ball.

Also, is there a way to prevent my first baseman from dropping perfect throws? Or is it just the game decided it's time for an error?

Jrmint

Is there a secret to decreasing errors? Specifically dropped pop-ups? I'll be in the catch circle, right under the ball, then I just drop the ball.

Also, is there a way to prevent my first baseman from dropping perfect throws? Or is it just the game decided it's time for an error?
If it's RTTS train your fielding skill higher.

The Beard

If it's RTTS train your fielding skill higher.

I should've been more specific, I play mostly online. Major league ball players making dumb errors on the reg. Every game something stupid happens, I don't get it.

Another thing that pisses me off about this game, how the fuck do catchers manage to let every ball in the dirt get passed them? I watch a lot of baseball, and all this shitty fielding is completely unrealistic. It happens to my opponents too. I just won a game because his catcher fielded my swinging bunt, and threw it passed his 1st baseman.

Jrmint

I should've been more specific, I play mostly online. Major league ball players making dumb errors on the reg. Every game something stupid happens, I don't get it.

Another thing that pisses me off about this game, how the fuck do catchers manage to let every ball in the dirt get passed them? I watch a lot of baseball, and all this shitty fielding is completely unrealistic. It happens to my opponents too. I just won a game because his catcher fielded my swinging bunt, and threw it passed his 1st baseman.
I haven't played online yet, but that sounds really annoying.

Yes, it is. Unquestionably. I mean, you still can't completely miss the timing and expect anything good to happen, but the game gives you a more generous window with zone.

The flip side is you are also more likely to miss solid contact if you don't have your bat located correctly. With directional and analog hitting, bat placement is all about the timing. Swing too early and you'll be on top of the ball, too late and you'll usually end up popping up. Those other two modes give you less control over the outcome of solid contact, since the pitch location, timing, and batter abilities play a massive role.

If you can do it, I highly recommend going zone. I struggle with it since I'm always working on identifying pitch locations, so it's not ideal for me. In your case, it would make the most sense. Remember, all the top ranked players use zone for a reason. You have more "control" over what happens to the ball on contact, since you can purposefully drive it a certain direction, lift it in the air by aiming below it, or drive it into the ground by going over the top.

One more thing about zone: on the default All Star difficulty that almost everyone ends up using, the bat basically covers 75% of the strike zone, give or take. So honestly, if you are good at laying off garbage pitches, you can basically use zone without really having to move the left stick much at all. Even if you do get good at moving the left stick around, we're talking about minor overall adjustments. Don't go full throttle on the stick and pull it all the way in a certain direction.

Ok thanks, will use zone hitting.

The Beard

I haven't played online yet, but that sounds really annoying.

Yeah, it's crazy. It's like the game purposely does it to add drama. I've been playing mostly Battle Royale which are only 3 inning games and I haven't seen an error free game yet. I don't play guys out of position either. It's not like I'm swapping positions with my catcher and and right fielder.

Today playing online I had Adam Eaton throw a perfect ball to the cut off man and then the cut off man to Yasmani Grandal, my catcher, Grandal didn't even bother to catch it and let in an inside the park HR. I was fuming.

Whoa, I lined a ball off a pitchers head and he fell to the ground slamming his fists into the grass :|

Never seen that before

Alright I'm starting to get pissed how many double plays the CPU is making me hit into. Finally loss my first Franchise game 2-1 (Currently 8-1, I beat the Pirates 2-1 in 13 innings the night before, we were obviously gassed). Bumped the Dynamic difficulty slider all the way so now this is gonna be a rollercoaster.

I'm up to All Star pitching and Rookie + Hitting.

I still love the game but damn, the CPU gets some bullshit in their favor some times.

Such is sports games in general I suppose.

---

---

So sounds like the handful of replies I've gotten to the above monstrosity could be summarized as:

- It's more noob-friendly than before but still will frustrate hugely if you go into it thoughtlessly. With a judicious approach, a baseball-loving noob will play the game with pleasure.

- Road To The Show is a fun and great mode which ALSO sidesteps some of the noob-killing gameplay elements like team base running.

- Use zone hitting for maximum noob-friendliness.

Is that about right, oh MLB experts? If so, did I miss anything?

Ilive1up

how is the dynamic difficulty? is it better to just keep moving the difficulty up on your own? i haven't played a baseball game in ages, started on rookie but i almost pitched a no hitter my first game.

how is the dynamic difficulty? is it better to just keep moving the difficulty up on your own? i haven't played a baseball game in ages, started on rookie but i almost pitched a no hitter my first game.
Dynamic difficulty is one of my favorite things about the game! More games should use it.

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Anyone having problems with road to the show? For some reason, every pitch thrown to me has been a fast ball and a strike for the most part, except for the pitches that go wild. It's really frustrating and makes the game pretty easy.

Also the game won't save my options. I choose the fielder control option in the menu and it won't apply it to the game. Same with turning off guess my pitch.

Love this game and series, but it just makes me not want to play it with issues like this..

Anyone having problems with road to the show? For some reason, every pitch thrown to me has been a fast ball and a strike for the most part, except for the pitches that go wild. It's really frustrating and makes the game pretty easy.

Also the game won't save my options. I choose the fielder control option in the menu and it won't apply it to the game. Same with turning off guess my pitch.

Love this game and series, but it just makes me not want to play it with issues like this..

Are you on Rookie difficulty? Sounds like it.

You have to actually save the settings to the PS4 hard drive. You can do that in the RTTS menu. If not, it reverts back to defaults.

I've come around and have started to put breaking pitches in play at least and not striking out like I did before. Still can't hit the change up tho. As far I can see there's no tells against that pitch I'm out in front every time. Any tips on how to handle change-ups? I refuse to use guess pitch by the way.

I've come around and have started to put breaking pitches in play at least and not striking out like I did before. Still can't hit the change up tho. As far I can see there's no tells against that pitch I'm out in front every time. Any tips on how to handle change-ups? I refuse to use guess pitch by the way.

Not really. The best thing I can tell you is to look for slight downward motion (more than a fastball). This game REALLY exaggerates the differences between a fastball and change up, to the point where it feels way more pronounced than a ~10 MPH difference.

I've gotten pretty decent at reading those. Maybe pay attention to the shadow and ball size as it grows?

Meanwhile, I suck at hitting curve balls, so everyone has their own struggle.

abrack08

I can't imagine using anything other than Zone hitting. I couldn't deal with hitting a ground ball or pop-up because the batter didn't square up the ball properly (which you can only control with Zone). If I screw up I prefer it to be my fault.

As for dynamic difficulty, I will echo the comments about it not working properly in RTTS, at least for position players. I'm a 3B in the middle of July hitting almost .500 and it's not increasing at all.

Top Bottom