• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

GravyButt

Dumb question but new to diamond dynasty and these types of modes in sports games. But do you guys field the same teams daily or no? Ive been taking advantage of that edge ratings since I have a weak team right now. My memory isn't serving me correctly right now but my left field switches a lot for example. Today my bronze 79 I believe was bumped up to a 91?! Didn't think that was even possible to go that high for a bronze.

But anyways am I doing it "right" by using that system that way? Or no? I feel like im doing it wrong for some reason even though it sounds right. But having a bronze player who's normally a 76 starting over a silver 84 at shortstop seems weird to me. I dunno!

watdaeff4

After redeeming the codes on the ps4 store you need to go to the store in the game and claim them. Its pretty stupid. You will see like the one that is 5,000 stubs and a few packs will say Claim (or whatever verbage) instead of Purchase.

Thank you......I never would have thought to look there.

Am playing RTTS for the first time ever in this series (usually just play franchise).....what a great mode. Really enjoying it so far.

oatmeal

Banned
Really weird. Started AA in year two but quickly moved to the Mlb at 19. Nice.

So I have dynamic difficulty on and by the time I was in the bigs I was in LEGEND difficulty. Then, during a good game I got the difficulty increase thing which confused me...then it started in BEGINNER again

Really weird. Will take advantage and boost stats for a bit I guess.

So I'm pitching AAA ball as a starting pitcher (LHP) and I currently use a 4FB, Change, Slider. What would you all suggest as my fourth pitch?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So I'm pitching AAA ball as a starting pitcher (LHP) and I currently use a 4FB, Change, Slider. What would you all suggest as my fourth pitch?

Curve or Splitter personally. More so leaning towards splitter to have a good pitch where the bottom falls out for easier ground plays.

Saganator

Kinda depends on what kind of pitcher you want to be. Crafty? Probably some kind of curve ball, maybe a slurve. Power pitcher who throws hard? Maybe a sinker/split to help get ground balls... or just make your 3 pitches really good. Throw a 98 fastball and paint corners with your change.

Tip: In Conquest mode, you're usually best served expanding northward to all the empty areas at the very beginning. You're given fans to distribute based on the amount of territories you control.

Tip: In Conquest mode, you're usually best served expanding northward to all the empty areas at the very beginning. You're given fans to distribute based on the amount of territories you control.

Yep. I'm going to wrap that mode up later tonight, but that's definitely the right advice. It's pretty straight forward as far as modes go. Kind of difficult to lose unless you are impatient or just don't know how to play the game at all, since you end up stacking 99 million fans on one piece and can take over a third of the map on a single turn.

GravyButt

Yep. I'm going to wrap that mode up later tonight, but that's definitely the right advice. It's pretty straight forward as far as modes go. Kind of difficult to lose unless you are impatient or just don't know how to play the game at all, since you end up stacking 99 million fans on one piece and can take over a third of the map on a single turn.
I evidently have no clue how to play the mode lol

I evidently have no clue how to play the mode lol

Honestly, it's easy. Invade all the open territory around your starting hub, especially the northern parts. Spread your boundaries out quickly. Think of it like Risk, where you're going to earn reinforcements based on the number of territories you hold. When the Conquest round pops up early on, try to reduce reinforcements of nearby team hubs to make it easier to attack them. I'd suggest going after teams like the Rockies, Royals, Cubs, and Twins, since they are all fairly close. When you get to the Attack round, focus on knocking out weaker teams. Certain ones are pretty easy to wipe out, especially if you have numerical advantage.

I NEVER play when I'm conquering random territories. Just have a big numerical advantage and simulate. You might lose 1-2 million fans, but it's nothing. You really only play when you're taking down a team's headquarters. If you have a huge numerical advantage, you end up playing them on Rookie or Veteran difficulty and just obliterate them. Once you conquer a team's headquarters, they no longer get reinforcements or attack other areas, so just finish them off.

Once you get control of 1/3 or so of the map, you'll start getting 70 million or so reinforcements per turn. Then you really start steamrolling teams.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Honestly, it's easy. Invade all the open territory around your starting hub, especially the northern parts. Spread your boundaries out quickly. Think of it like Risk, where you're going to earn reinforcements based on the number of territories you hold. When the Conquest round pops up early on, try to reduce reinforcements of nearby team hubs to make it easier to attack them. I'd suggest going after teams like the Rockies, Royals, Cubs, and Twins, since they are all fairly close. When you get to the Attack round, focus on knocking out weaker teams. Certain ones are pretty easy to wipe out, especially if you have numerical advantage.

I NEVER play when I'm conquering random territories. Just have a big numerical advantage and simulate. You might lose 1-2 million fans, but it's nothing. You really only play when you're taking down a team's headquarters. If you have a huge numerical advantage, you end up playing them on Rookie or Veteran difficulty and just obliterate them. Once you conquer a team's headquarters, they no longer get reinforcements or attack other areas, so just finish them off.

Once you get control of 1/3 or so of the map, you'll start getting 70 million or so reinforcements per turn. Then you really start steamrolling teams.

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try this mode out soon.

Thanks for the tips. Will definitely try this mode out soon.

It's a lot of fun. I don't really enjoy playing DD online against randoms. I'm glad they included a single-player mode that makes use of your DD squad for the times when I'm not playing against a fellow Gaffer.

Last tip I can think of: after you defeat another team, go to the Missions tab and make sure you activate your reward. That will start a secondary counter you can be working toward while you continue playing in Conquest mode.

Man, I am so frustrated. I created a RFer in RTTS named Freddy Franchise. He was drafted in 2016 by the A's and was called up that same year. It was a losing season. Despite that, he signed a 2-year contract after the season. 2017 and 2018 were also both losing seasons, though he signed a 4-year contract with them in the off-season. In 2019, during another losing season with the A's, he demanded a trade and was sent to the Yankees (yuck!). During these first couple seasons I played some/simmed some (skipping fielding opportunities). During the off-season between 2019 and 2020, Freddy was traded across town to the Mets. Both seasons ended with Word Series victories (started playing more and simming less). In 2022, with Freddy's first taste of free agency looming, the Mets (mired in a losing season) traded him to the Tigers (who went on to win the World series). Freddy then signed an 8 year deal with the Orioles (yay!). His first season was good (another WS victory) and he started becoming a super-star (I played far more games than I simmed). The following season (2024) was his true breakout year (I simmed no games). He was just a pure hitter (both getting on base and hitting balls out of the park). This is where things get frustrating. In August, Freddy (having already broken the hit streak and hits in a single season records), was hitting over .600 and had 66 home runs. Then he damaged cartilage in his knee and was out until the end of the ALDS. When he came back he was relegated to being a bench player. He also became ineligible for all the end of season awards. Now that's all understandable, as the back-up did an admirable job filling in while Freddy was hurt. Then 2025 came around. Freddy was still on the bench. Then the regular season came around and Freddy (a 96 rated player, by they way) was still on the bench! He's currently being used a pinch-hitter and occasionally gets a start in RF. In those games, he rarely makes an out (he's hitting over .850 and has the team lead in home runs. When I asked the manager to give Freddy more playing time, he said the current RFer was playing too well to remove from the line up. He's hitting in the low .200s and has like 3 home runs. If that were a real manager, he'd be blasted by the fans for leaving Freddy on the bench! So frustrating!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's a lot of fun. I don't really enjoy playing DD online against randoms. I'm glad they included a single-player mode that makes use of your DD squad for the times when I'm not playing against a fellow Gaffer.

Last tip I can think of: after you defeat another team, go to the Missions tab and make sure you activate your reward. That will start a secondary counter you can be working toward while you continue playing in Conquest mode.

Nice, will do.

So can this mode be played completely offline?

Nice, will do.

So can this mode be played completely offline?

Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the DD modes can be played fully offline. I haven't tried, but I have a hunch they require server activation to play. Hopefully someone else will confirm I'm wrong.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the DD modes can be played fully offline. I haven't tried, but I have a hunch they require server activation to play. Hopefully someone else will confirm I'm wrong.

Let me clarify... what I mean is, do I have to play other players online in the mode? Or can I just play agains the CPU?

norm9

Does anyone still play The Show 15 on ps3? It's only 20 bucks on amazon.

Is there any major differences from The Show 16?

Looking for a baseball game to play a season or two but not sure I want to pay full price and I like that Puig is on the cover of 15.

Conquest is fun except when the game seems to throw random errors and Barry Bonds-like players at you in the bottom of the 3rd some games lol

Curve or Splitter personally. More so leaning towards splitter to have a good pitch where the bottom falls out for easier ground plays.
Kinda depends on what kind of pitcher you want to be. Crafty? Probably some kind of curve ball, maybe a slurve. Power pitcher who throws hard? Maybe a sinker/split to help get ground balls... or just make your 3 pitches really good. Throw a 98 fastball and paint corners with your change.
Hm, I like going with deception for sure. I'll have to think about it some more. Maybe something curving like both of you suggested...

Thanks!

IvanJ

Banned
Just had a game in which suddenly all players had the number 42 jersey on.
It must have been a Jackie Robinson appreciation day. MLB does this(I'm not sure which day exactly)
Number 42 is retired by all MLB teams in his honor.

StNd

Love this game!

But as a european, I am not really familiar with the sport, more specific field positions.

I had to pick and just picked 3rd Base as my position. I have no idea if this is a challenging/fun/frustrating position.

I don't want to play as a pitcher. What position do you guys play?

packy34

Curve can be nasty if you spend enough training points on it

Love this game!

But as a european, I am not really familiar with the sport, more specific field positions.

I had to pick and just picked 3rd Base as my position. I have no idea if this is a challenging/fun/frustrating position.

Any infield position is going to require a pretty quick reaction time. 3B is generally responsible for fielding ground balls hit closer to the line (SS covers the gap between 3B and 2B) and then throwing to 1B for the out or 2B if the double play is on. If you want something a little more laid back, I'd choose an outfielder. Most of the time you'll be catching fly balls or throwing to the cutoff man.

IvanJ

Banned
Love this game!

I play ShortStop. I find it to be the best fit for me, I get about 7-10 plays per game, and cover a decent part of the field.
I started in the outfield, but got frustrated by having to run all over the place to catch the ball, and also needing to improve my throwing skills to be able to return the ball to the infield without errors.

Perhaps, if you are just starting out and learning, the best position is 1B. You are more static, and can earn cheap training points by just being there catching balls from other players.
But, 3B is also a good choice, you should do well. You will probably not get as many groundball chances as SS, but you will get some foul popups occasionally.

Nyx

It must have been a Jackie Robinson appreciation day. MLB does this(I'm not sure which day exactly)
Number 42 is retired by all MLB teams in his honor.

Ah yes, now that you mention that name I remember hearing it announced before the game.

Cool feature then. :)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ah yes, now that you mention that name I remember hearing it announced before the game.

Cool feature then. :)

Yep. This game has all the 'little things' that make up baseball and sports.

They do the pink bats and equipment on Mother's Day, Light Blue on Father's Day, certain park features, like the Red Chair in Fenway Right Field Bleachers where Ted William's hit the longest Home Run at 502 feet in 1946.

Bog

Junior Ace
Yep. This game has all the 'little things' that make up baseball and sports.

They do the pink bats and equipment on Mother's Day, Light Blue on Father's Day, certain park features, like the Red Chair in Fenway Right Field Bleachers where Ted William's hit the longest Home Run at 502 feet in 1946.

Somebody's been on the Fenway tour.

Anyone else import a RTTS player? It worked flawlessly for me from 14 to 15 but now in 16 my career stats are all fucked :(

It's missing a couple of seasons and the teams aren't even right (says I played for Boston and CWS when I played for Yankees and Indians). All my AA and AAA stats are gone too.

Not game breaking but kind of a bummer. I liked looking back at that stuff

Love this game!

Is this on Road to the Show?

This is the first year I'm really sinking my teeth into The Show as '14 wasn't that great from the get go on PS4.

I play pitcher.

The Beard

Oh my Lord, the menus are still so slowwwwwwww.

30+ seconds just to get from the home screen to the DD menus. This game is a joke. I can't believe nobody here seems to mind the fact that online is completely broken right now. I guess nobody plays online? Or is this just expected from The Show at this point?

friz898

30+ seconds just to get from the home screen to the DD menus. This game is a joke. I can't believe nobody here seems to mind the fact that online is completely broken right now. I guess nobody plays online? Or is this just expected from The Show at this point?

Are you using the digital download? Seems like everybody complaining about menu lag and such are using the digital version.

My disc version has no lag with menus etc.

As for the online, I haven't tested it. I get too frustrated with online games, and the only time I ever tried it was on '13 on my Vita and it was too laggy. They supposedly fixed everything starting with last years '15 edition.

The Beard

Are you using the digital download? Seems like everybody complaining about menu lag and such are using the digital version.

My disc version has no lag with menus etc.

As for the online, I haven't tested it. I get too frustrated with online games, and the only time I ever tried it was on '13 on my Vita and it was too laggy. They supposedly fixed everything starting with last years '15 edition.

No, I have the disc.

This is only my second time buying The Show, the last one was 14'. It was so unbelievably shitty, I skipped 15'. People said the online was solid in 15', and that is the only reason I came back. Well, online is still trash. Playing the CPU bores me after about 10-15 minutes.

I guess I'll give it another month, if online play isn't fixed by then, I'm out. Thank god I bought the disc, I'll at least be able to recoup some of my money.

friz898

Anyone else import a RTTS player? It worked flawlessly for me from 14 to 15 but now in 16 my career stats are all fucked :(

It's missing a couple of seasons and the teams aren't even right (says I played for Boston and CWS when I played for Yankees and Indians). All my AA and AAA stats are gone too.

Not game breaking but kind of a bummer. I liked looking back at that stuff

I did it from 14 to 15 no problems as well as 15 to 16 on day 1.

If it helps any, I finished my year 2030 in '15 before uploading it to the cloud, and started 2031 fresh on '16. -- I did hear someone in this thread or a different forum, say something about stats being messed up with then carried over midway through the season (although it's suppose to work at any point and time of course).

led4lyfe

I have a lefty pitcher with that exact set up. I picked the Cutter to be my fourth pitch, it's very effective on righties and my go to out pitch on them.

I'm not playing online now or probably ever, so that's not really a concern to me to be honest. I'll never know if it's borked or not.
Not at all true. I'm on a disc and the menus are still slow as molasses.
I have a lefty pitcher with that exact set up. I picked the Cutter to be my fourth pitch, it's very effective on righties and my go to out pitch on them.
That sounds like a nasty out pitch. I might go with that as well!

Mortemis

Banned

Same here, except I got a circle change rather than a regular change-up.

I'm focusing on my four pitches right now, but I think I may add some sort of curve later on.

Top Bottom