• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

Are you using the digital download? Seems like everybody complaining about menu lag and such are using the digital version.

My disc version has no lag with menus etc.

As for the online, I haven't tested it. I get too frustrated with online games, and the only time I ever tried it was on '13 on my Vita and it was too laggy. They supposedly fixed everything starting with last years '15 edition.

I am digital and my menu lag is gone. I only had it when the game just released and everyone was hitting the servers at once. It's fine for me now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am digital and my menu lag is gone. I only had it when the game just released and everyone was hitting the servers at once. It's fine for me now.

I have physical and it is fine as well. It should not matter either one, since it installs the whole game anyhow from the disc. Disc is only used as a DRM check, that is it.

I know this sounds cliche, but people having issues, try 'Rebuild Database' on the PS4.

spookytapes

Neo Member
this is my first trip to The Show in about 5 or 6 years, I need help with tuning the difficulty.

I'm currently playing through the playoffs with the difficulty set to beginner just to get a feel for the game, but as it turns out, I'm blowing everyone out (which honestly, playing as my long suffering Pittsburgh Pirates and blowing out the Cards like 18 to 0 four games in a row to sweep them in the NLDS is a somewhat therapeutic power fantasy). But when I try switching to experienced all of the controls seem way too complex and I don't really enjoy playing it as much. Is there a happy medium so I can play with these simpler controls but not wipe the floor with everyone?

There are so many options that it's daunting. Any help would be appreciated!

this is my first trip to The Show in about 5 or 6 years, I need help with tuning the difficulty.

I'm currently playing through the playoffs with the difficulty set to beginner just to get a feel for the game, but as it turns out, I'm blowing everyone out (which honestly, playing as my long suffering Pittsburgh Pirates and blowing out the Cards like 18 to 0 four games in a row to sweep them in the NLDS is a somewhat therapeutic power fantasy). But when I try switching to experienced all of the controls seem way too complex and I don't really enjoy playing it as much. Is there a happy medium so I can play with these simpler controls but not wipe the floor with everyone?

There are so many options that it's daunting. Any help would be appreciated!

Do what I do:

- Play on experienced, but put hitting controls on Pure Analog and pitching on Meter

- PUT IT ON DYNAMIC DIFFICULTY FOR HITTING AND PITCHING.

What's the most popular pitching type? I have been using the one with the meter, is pulse pitching worth trying to figure it out? It's a little too rough for me everytime I have tried--but I am just owning teams at this point with the meter pitching.

What's the most popular pitching type? I have been using the one with the meter, is pulse pitching worth trying to figure it out? It's a little too rough for me everytime I have tried--but I am just owning teams at this point with the meter pitching.

Unquestionably, analog pitching. It takes an inning or two to really get it down, but it gives you the most overall control of pitch location. It punishes you the least if you aren't 100% on the money, and you can purposefully place a pitch on the line or well outside the zone. Total control. Especially on higher difficulty levels and against human opponents, being able to place the ball on the corners is massive. Meter comes the next closest to allowing that.

Pulse pitching is terrible. The pulse itself is controlled by your pitcher's attributes, and you deal with the frustration of having to wait longer to throw a pitch as you time it with the pulsing. Some pitchers can NEVER get super accurate, even if you time it perfectly. The window of where the pitch can go will always stay too large.

If I had to rank them:
Pure Analog >>>>>>>> Meter >>> Pulse > Classic

DrBo42

Yes. As you build him up, you can add more to his repertoire.

Thanks. Finally put it in dynamic diff after a few hours, any idea what changes as the difficulty raises?

Been pitching in pulse for hours and trying analog at the moment...pretty brutal in comparison. Is there any trick to it? And what do the orange and red color changes in analog mean?

Edit: Well I got used to that fast. First perfect game in the Minors. Nice.

Edit 2: You get a point bonus for a shutout but nothing extra for a perfect game? Shieeeeeeeeeet. Wat.

Mortemis

Banned
What do you guys think of the sinker? I'm a LHP in RTTS, and I don't have many pitches to get a decent amount of groundouts, and i have a circle change that breaks in a similar way so that may be nice to use in tandem.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What do you guys think of the sinker? I'm a LHP in RTTS, and I don't have many pitches to get a decent amount of groundouts, and i have a circle change that breaks in a similar way so that may be nice to use in tandem.

I love the sinker in this game. Splitter is good too, but a little harder to master with it's heat.

It's the one of the only pitches that I reliably can't hit. It's a killer.

Been pitching in pulse for hours and trying analog at the moment...pretty brutal in comparison. Is there any trick to it? And what do the orange and red color changes in analog mean?

Edit: Well I got used to that fast. First perfect game in the Minors. Nice.

Haha, love that contrast after giving it an inning or two. Analog pitching is amazing.

friz898

Is dynamic difficulty still broken in RTTS?

Speaking if things were still broken.

I was hoping all the Sounds of the Show mp3 import files issues were gone with 1.02, but mine still crashes if I attempt it.

Have they announced any updates on that issue? Figured I'd post here instead of scouring the their forums again.

Caja 117

I have been getting weird and prolongued stutter during franchise games, it gets bad to a point were it affect pitching and batting. anyone knows about this? I'm on disc BTW.

Is there an advantage to analog pitching or is it just preference for some people?

Way more precise. Even if you don't get the mechanics perfectly correct, a "missed" pitch is still less screwed up than screwing up with the meter or pulse.

If you get the analog mechanics down well, it's phenomenally accurate.

DrBo42

Okay WTF causes the analog pitching to drastically shorten? It just murdered me. Is it because someone got on base and my clutch isn't sufficient?

Shortstop made an error, missed an easy ground out and my world COLLAPSED. Haha.

Okay WTF causes the analog pitching to drastically shorten? It just murdered me. Is it because someone got on base and my clutch isn't sufficient?

Shortstop made an error, missed an easy ground out and my world COLLAPSED. Haha.

Analog pitching matches the pitcher's wind up and throwing motion. Some guys naturally gave very slow deliveries, others are quick to release.

Once a runner gets on base you go into the stretch to throw, so that speeds up the delivery. Every MLB pitcher tries to shorten their time to the plate with a runner on. Also simulates pressure somewhat.

Silly question from a TOTAL noob: is there some way to import a fav team from the past? Like if I wanted the 2004 Red Sox. Can I find this online somewhere, with all the player stats and all, and import them into the game to replace existing lame Red Sox?

Silly question from a TOTAL noob: is there some way to import a fav team from the past? Like if I wanted the 2004 Red Sox. Can I find this online somewhere, with all the player stats and all, and import them into the game to replace existing lame Red Sox?

I would imagine there is a roster update in the vault somewhere that turns it into past season's rosters. But if not, try Operation Sports maybe?

DrBo42

Analog pitching matches the pitcher's wind up and throwing motion. Some guys naturally gave very slow deliveries, others are quick to release.

Once a runner gets on base you go into the stretch to throw, so that speeds up the delivery. Every MLB pitcher tries to shorten their time to the plate with a runner on. Also simulates pressure somewhat.

Oh wow. Never would have thought about that. That makes a lot of sense. Quite cool actually. Thanks.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yep, that is why OB% was so key in the lineups that won the World Series the past 2 decades. It puts pressure on the pitcher, since it alters the windups and deception/timing/rhythm, etc..

And truly amazing pitchers shine over the rest in these pressure situations.

I can look into OS, but what is this "vault"?

The repository of user-generated content - including custom rosters. Anyone can make their own rosters, upload them to vault and share them with the rest of the community.

Should be accessible from one of the main menus, although I'm not near my PS4 right now so can't say where exactly.

The repository of user-generated content - including custom rosters. Anyone can make their own rosters, upload them to vault and share them with the rest of the community.

Should be accessible from one of the main menus, although I'm not near my PS4 right now so can't say where exactly.

Okay, I see now. Seems http://www.operationsports.com/foru...assic-seasons-historic-specialty-rosters.html has a decent compendium of rosters people have made and out into the vault so far (very few quality ones so far, but the game is barely out).

I loaded a random 1991 Twins roster (not on the above list) out of curiosity and immediately noticed weird stuff like Yankees being all stars and such. :) So it'll be a bit of a mess for now.

I made it through the minors to my big-league team, the Giants, pitched well in September after my call-up, and now after Spring Training I'm in the bullpen. I guess I lost my spot to Cain? WTF.

element

Worst thing that happens in RTTS is losing the lead without seeing what happened. Awesome I got that guy out! Next user action. Fuck! I'm down 5 runs! WTF happened!

StNd

Curve can be nasty if you spend enough training points on it

Any infield position is going to require a pretty quick reaction time. 3B is generally responsible for fielding ground balls hit closer to the line (SS covers the gap between 3B and 2B) and then throwing to 1B for the out or 2B if the double play is on. If you want something a little more laid back, I'd choose an outfielder. Most of the time you'll be catching fly balls or throwing to the cutoff man.

I play ShortStop. I find it to be the best fit for me, I get about 7-10 plays per game, and cover a decent part of the field.
I started in the outfield, but got frustrated by having to run all over the place to catch the ball, and also needing to improve my throwing skills to be able to return the ball to the infield without errors.

Perhaps, if you are just starting out and learning, the best position is 1B. You are more static, and can earn cheap training points by just being there catching balls from other players.
But, 3B is also a good choice, you should do well. You will probably not get as many groundball chances as SS, but you will get some foul popups occasionally.

Is this on Road to the Show?

This is the first year I'm really sinking my teeth into The Show as '14 wasn't that great from the get go on PS4.

I play pitcher.

First time multiquoting, so I might screw this up...

This is indeed RTTS, have yet to explore other gametypes.

Thank you for the answers. I'll be playing 3B for a while then, I like the action on that position. An outfielder seems a bit more 'boring' for me.
Altough the tip to play 1B for the easy trainingpoints is one to remember.

Now to look for the best difficulty, because I'm hitting over .400 and that seems steep.

I had a blast playing Diamond Dynasty last night. Finished up the Conquest mode and pulled an MVP JOSH DONALDSON from my reward packs. That puts me up to two diamonds on my team, with Mike Trout holding down center field.

I really enjoy the Battle Royale option where you draft a team and play 3 inning games against opponents for rewards. I took Nolan Ryan with my first pick and he's a complete monster in game. I managed to pull off 7 wins last night before getting smoked by a dude doing all sorts of base running and bunting cheese. I think he was doing power swings every time, too, since I would strike him out four times in a row then give up a HR. He had three hits, all HRs, all pretty well placed pitches. Oh well.

Also had two guys quit on me after the first inning when they realized I wasn't going to swing at their bullshit and they had walked three straight batters. People don't know how to deal with a patient batter, and you can tell it drives them crazy. The first guy beaned my fourth batter to drive in a run and then rage quit. The other guy kept pausing the game and stalling with mound visits and pick off attempts. I'll take the free wins.

My favorite mode is "Challenge Failed"

Garbage.

Happened all the time last year, and still too common now. My "trick" is to change the time and weather conditions prior to starting. It's likely 100% a placebo, but it feels real to me, damn it! I connect around half the time.

That grind! For my favorite player growing up and one of the best SS in the game, that won't change ratings.

T6gf8rG.jpg

That grind! For my favorite player growing up and one of the best SS in the game, that won't change ratings.

I'm grinding the Royals right now. I think the embody portion should be a lot easier than all those command innings. I'm kind of doing it naturally, but I should probably just stack my roster with one team and go for it.

I'm grinding the Royals right now. I think the embody portion should be a lot easier than all those command innings. I'm kind of doing it naturally, but I should probably just stack my roster with one team and go for it.

That's what I did. All Reds, Conquest mode mostly.

My guy said nothing after noting all the new features.

I can confirm they make a big deal about it on RTTS. Threw one yesterday with my knuckleballer and they were counting down the final nine outs, then all my teammates swarmed me. Commentators also were going on about it being the only one they've seen in person, blah blah blah.

Certainly helped that I imported my ace from last year's game and it started me on rookie sliders in dynamic difficulty. Strike when the iron is hot.

Top Bottom