• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB The Show 2016 |OT| Always looking to go deep

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So I guess when you sit down to play Battle Royal you need to stick around until you are either eliminated or the tournament is completed. How long does a tournament take?
I actually have no clue, lol. I played 3 games then went to bed. I guess I'll figure out what the result of doing that is when I'm on lunch. I didn't even really pay attention to how long the games took.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Yeah, I recall some issues last year with DD but it was never this bad and the issue seems to be in every menu this year.
Yep. Took a good while to redeem and open all my packs last night. I didn't even bother editing my DD team yet because of the menus.

Is this game worth 60$ gaf? Let me know, please . This or dark souls 3??

It's absolutely worth $60 and it has been called the Dark Souls of baseball games.

Still, the two types of games are vastly different so it's all up to you. What do you want to play right now?

The menus were slow as fuck yesterday, unplayable. Would take 7 seconds just to change one guy in my lineup in DD.

I wondered why they were so slow last night for me. I wasn't in DD though - I was just trying to go through options menus and such - and those were slow as fuck also. Should that be the case?

I wondered why they were so slow last night for me. I wasn't in DD though - I was just trying to go through options menus and such - and those were slow as fuck also. Should that be the case?

Yesterday morning the menus were fine for me so I definitely think it's a case of everyone jumping on at the same time. Games these days seem to have everything tied into the network so if there is congestion due to lots of activity, everything slows down.

Did they get rid of the extra innings (playing against other DD teams as CPUs) feature in Diamond Dynasty?

I enjoyed playing those created teams over the MLB ones :(

It's absolutely worth $60 and it has been called the Dark Souls of baseball games.

Still, the two types of games are vastly different so it's all up to you. What do you want to play right now?
The dark souls of sports games". I like the sound of that. Haven't played since the 14'. Love baseball. Guess I'll wait for some gaffer impressions.

I tried to mess around with Diamond Dynasty last night, but the loading was really bad. After work today I'm going to try and put together a logo for my team. I really wish there was an option to just import a picture from a flash drive or at least have it where you can search for a certain word in the logo vault.

krpiper

Fun game so far but man do I suck at hitting :(

A quick question about the target throwing. Is that on all game modes or just RTTS/linked to ShowTime? and how are you guys feeling about it so far?

Skipping this year, no particular reason. Just not feeling it as much as I have the last few years. I'll definitely be getting 2017 though.

The Beard

Is this game worth 60$ gaf? Let me know, please . This or dark souls 3??

If you have Amazon Prime it's $48, which is definitely worth it.

I personally think $60 is too high for a sports title. Especially when online multiplayer is broken like 14' was (I'm hoping for a big improvement there). It really depends on what you like to do though. I mostly enjoy playing competitively online. If you enjoy create-a-player career modes, this game has one of the best, if not the best. Even as someone who quickly gets bored playing against the cpu, I find RTTS to be fun and addicting.

Hitting is my kryptonite. I might get 3-4 hits per game. I'm straight trash.

Which method do you use? I've always found the analog w/ stride swing to be the best/most accurate representation.

For this, pull down on the right stick when you see the pitcher hit the top of his apex...right before he releases the ball. That picks up your front foot. If you want to swing at the pitch, push the stick all the way forward in time with the pitch. If you don't want to swing, let the ball go by without moving the stick.

The buttons work but for some reason I can't get that timing as right, so maybe this will work for you too!

ChanMan

I should have waited, as good as the game is there seem to be quite a few bugs all over the place. Plus I usually like to wait for the minor leagues to get fully redone.

IvanJ

Banned
My favorite change this year: Ability to sell duplicate cards for stubs.
It drove me insane last year as I had 50 Chewing Gums on sale for $1, so I just ended trashing all low value cards.
Now you can get $10 for bronze ritual cards, $25 for silver...I don't know the rest, I haven't tried, but it sure beats stadium sales race to the bottom.

Which method do you use? I've always found the analog w/ stride swing to be the best/most accurate representation.

For this, pull down on the right stick when you see the pitcher hit the top of his apex...right before he releases the ball. That picks up your front foot. If you want to swing at the pitch, push the stick all the way forward in time with the pitch. If you don't want to swing, let the ball go by without moving the stick.

The buttons work but for some reason I can't get that timing as right, so maybe this will work for you too!

I'll give it a shot. I was using flick stick last night. I think my problem is usually timing, which is off. It gets frustrating when you hit a perfect strike with "good" timing and the ball goes foul or something, but I guess that's baseball.

In conclusion, I suck.

ukas

Are there any game play footage of two player couch verses?

I'm tempted to pick this up. Would be the first baseball game I buy since the N64. My girlfriend loves baseball, so two player is what I would be most interested in.

Couch verses has always been good. You can pretty much watch and footage and you'll get an idea of what it's like. The only difference is that the camera will always be behind the batter for pitching on either side.

ukas

Fun game so far but man do I suck at hitting :(

A quick question about the target throwing. Is that on all game modes or just RTTS/linked to ShowTime? and how are you guys feeling about it so far?

Showtime and perks are only in RTTS I believe.

v1lla21

My favorite change this year: Ability to sell duplicate cards for stubs.
It drove me insane last year as I had 50 Chewing Gums on sale for $1, so I just ended trashing all low value cards.
Now you can get $10 for bronze ritual cards, $25 for silver...I don't know the rest, I haven't tried, but it sure beats stadium sales race to the bottom.
Good. Shit drove me nuts last year as well. Going to be a long ass 2 weeks :(

If you have Amazon Prime it's $48, which is definitely worth it.

I personally think $60 is too high for a sports title. Especially when online multiplayer is broken like 14' was (I'm hoping for a big improvement there). It really depends on what you like to do though. I mostly enjoy playing competitively online. If you enjoy create-a-player career modes, this game has one of the best, if not the best. Even as someone who quickly gets bored playing against the cpu, I find RTTS to be fun and addicting.

You should be fine with online play this year once the servers stop getting hammered at launch. I played somewhere between 100-200 games online in 15 and 99% of them ran really well so 16 should be as good if not better than that.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So I guess when you sit down to play Battle Royal you need to stick around until you are either eliminated or the tournament is completed. How long does a tournament take?
Just checked on battle royale and I was able to start another game. I wasn't eliminated or out of time or anything.

Just checked on battle royale and I was able to start another game. I wasn't eliminated or out of time or anything.

Really?

So I can play this at my leisure then?

That's great. I much prefer the three inning style when playing online and having it be tournament based is a plus.

Thabass

How about some Mookie:

yDY2FAe.png

I love me some Mookie.

The Beard

You should be fine with online play this year once the servers stop getting hammered at launch. I played somewhere between 100-200 games online in 15 and 99% of them ran really well so 16 should be as good if not better than that.

That's good to hear. I think I "played" like 40 online games in 14'. Most games ended before the 6th inning.

About 25 of those ended do to a crash on my end or my opponents. Either I'd get a blue error screen (and an undeserved loss) or the game would just freeze, and if you waited long enough it'd eventually go back to the menu and you'd get a win. My internet connection was rock solid btw, no issues with other games.

If online is solid, I'll play at least 100 games. Hopefully my copy will be waiting for me when I get off of work and hopefully the servers are working.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Really?

So I can play this at my leisure then?

That's great. I much prefer the three inning style when playing online and having it be tournament based is a plus.
Appears that way. Sadly I got stomped in the game I played and got eliminated. So now it'll cost me stubs to get in.

That's good to hear. I think I "played" like 40 online games in 14'. Most games ended before the 6th inning.

About 25 of those ended do to a crash on my end or my opponents. Either I'd get a blue error screen (and an undeserved loss) or the game would just freeze, and if you waited long enough it'd eventually go back to the menu and you'd get a win. My internet connection was rock solid btw, no issues with other games.

If online is solid, I'll play at least 100 games. Hopefully my copy will be waiting for me when I get off of work and hopefully the servers are working.

14 was a huge mess online. 15 they fixed things (admittedly most of my online games were Diamond Dynasty vs other players instead of just playing with normal MLB teams). I was getting errors in 16 trying to play Battle Doyale last night but I assume that was just launch day issues (hopefully).

Kumquat

Hey GAF. I bought 14 and skipped 15. Is 16 enough of an upgrade from 14 to invest the money in? I don't want to feel like I do when I buy Madden.

Just ordered off Amazon, can't wait to dive in. My only Show experience was from PSP, finally jumping in the right way. Any tips for just those getting started with the series?

Couleurs

Just ordered off Amazon, can't wait to dive in. My only Show experience was from PSP, finally jumping in the right way. Any tips for just those getting started with the series?

Learn to take pitches. The game does a great job learning and exploiting your tendencies, so if you are swinging at junk out of the zone, that's gonna be all you get thrown.

My main advice is to always take the first pitch of the at bat, and don't swing at anything until you have at least one strike. You'll eventually learn to recognize pitches that way, as well as run up the computer's pitch count.

IvanJ

Banned
I really like Battle Royale. Mostly because I won my first three games.

I went in expecting to get clobbered. This is my 4th Show, and after 4 years the very first online match ever. So I thought I will suck, as I only played against AI.

I am still in shock. First match I get another newb (0-0 record), and he was not very good.
2nd match, I get a 5-1 team, so I think this is it. I win 1-0, on a solo HR.
3rd match, I get a 8-1 team, I know I'm done for. His first batter, single. Tries to steal I catch him. Second batter, single. Third batter, ARod, kills the ball way way deep, my CF runs his ass off and catches it on the warning track. Needless to say, his guy on first keeps running and I throw him out as he is stuck on third, not even trying to return.
Guy disconnects! Win!

I noticed people tend to run on fly balls, guess they are impatient.

pots555

Bought it today. The Road to the Show is such a great mode. Got drafted by the Phillies and played a few AA games with some success. The graphics blew me away. Can't wait to try the online once I'm more confortable with the controls.

Jrmint

Feels good to know I'm not the only one who struggles with hitting. I really doubt I'll ever progress past rookie in the dynamic difficulty. Every time I feel like I have the hang of it I go in a slump.
The other side of it is when you get a big hit it feels really good.

oatmeal

Banned
Dynamic difficulty is neat.

I started RTTS and started my first game in AA. CGSO with 15 Ks. Nice.

Graphics are kind of disappointing. The player models need a boost ASAP.

BPK

How smooth is online play? I haven't bought the Show for years because I was fed up with the lag online, the only mode I play.

The Beard

Just got the game a few hours ago.

4 online games. 2 freezes, first game was tied in late innings, the other game I was winning 1-0 in the 6th.

I'm now 0-4.

Why did I buy this again?

How smooth is online play? I haven't bought the Show for years because I was fed up with the lag online, the only mode I play.

To be fair, all 4 games I played were smooth as butter.

I'm a little pissed off, mostly at myself because I told myself to hold off for a few weeks before buying this, but that $48 on Amazon was too tempting. I skipped 15' because 14' online play was garbage. I hope they straighten this up soon.

I'm probably in the worst hittting slump of my virtual baseball career.
They changed the timing windows and I haven't adapted so far still stuck on veteran on dynamic difficult. But otherwise the game is great, the animations and the lighting are top notch.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I can't believe they still have that bug at the end of RTTS games where the grounds crew is raking the infield. Right when it starts you see 2 clouds of dust go straight up to the sky lol.

Glad to see the bullshit that is "you can't be good every game" still exists (pure, dripping sarcasm)

I pitched 4 games yesterday with my 99 overall Show 14 RttS player. First 3 I gave up one run off a homer and struck out 15 or more each game. 4th game I started not getting clear calls, not border calls, but sometimes mid-low strike zone. Two back to back errors counted as hits. Then, I made a play to third and the third baseman literally walked back to the base, waited, then let the opposing player slide underneath him. Next play was a grand slam.

krpiper

I have been really liking the shorter and faster games of conquest/Battle Royale games. That being said I would love to dig into franchise but I think full 9 inning games are just too much to sit through. Can I shorten games to say 5 innings?

Or any suggestions in that front?

Kumquat

I went ahead and bought it last night. If anyone wants to add me PSN is Kumquatv1

So I played RTTS and realized I have no idea how to throw to the bases. Oye! I created a center fielder with speed and power hitting. Played the scout thing and did alright until it came to the fielding drills. Then I realized they changed the throwing game and I have no idea what I am doing. Help!

I was drafted in the 2nd round by the Reds but I decided to do a year in college. Came back into the skills drill and lit it up. Still can't throw to bases but I did everything else great and smacked some key homers in the showcases. I was drafted #3 overall by the Braves.

Sorry Rangers. It just wasn't meant to be :( Maybe in free agency one day.

the wurm

Neo Member
I haven't play a Show since '09. I'm not sure what the good modes are now but I love Road to the Show. I always gravitate towards the 'create a player, work your way up to being good' modes in sports games.

So I haven't really played the game too much yet but I went into Diamond Dynasty mode and created a team. I looked through the team nicknames the announcers will actually say so I created the Boston Bruins. The logo creation tools are pretty cool! Made a pretty good looking spoked B. Haven't played an actual game yet though, spent about 90 minutes making the logo and creating the home/away unis to look like the Bruins' sweaters.

So what's the general consensus here on which are the best (or better) modes now? This is my first year playing with the Diamond Dynasty mode, is it good or am I going to be wasting my time?

Top Bottom