• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why does FF: XV Demo's IQ look so bad? Artificial sharpening filter in place?

Update: It Looks like they have noticed and we have news, thanks dualshockers:
First of all, he mentioned that as development proceeds towards the finished game, performance will be improved as much as possible. In the Platinum Demo developers introduced dynamic resolution with 1080p as the upper limit.

The demo was not intended to showcase the game’s frame rate, as it was more aimed to let players experience the world. Verifying how dynamic resolution worked was also the first priority as opposed to frame rate
http://www.*****************/2016/04/02/final-fantasy-xv-director-addresses-demo-frame-rate-ps4xbox-one-differences-dlc-and-more/

They really need to take off the disgusting sharpening filter their aa solution adds... wtf square? Just compare it to the duscae demo, I would rather have the softer 900pfxaa look they implemented over the artificially sharpened solution in the latest demo. They took a major step back regarding iq. While their sss and lighting solution is improved the horrible sharpening filter ruins everything and hurts my eyes. There is also NO motion blur unless in some special instances, literally 99% of the demo has no motion blur and it's murdering my eyes.
Edit: It's also present in the recent trailer, what's going on here?
J6JUab.png

hDspkr.png

Axtv5K.png

UJq5VR.png

JeJMuQ.png

uGIcYS.png

This is the Duscae demo:
1RBzi5.png

zfPTXC.png

wmrLFO.png

7RKUNw.png

bIVo2f.png

1LlTlV.png

It's a shame because when everything is still for a split second you get a more clean/artifact free image.
xe79pO.png

It's a really good tech demo for what it is and I'm really looking forward to the game but the iq problem really bothers me, Is this something they're looking into fixing? Or even acknowledged it now that the demo's been out?

edit: added more screens

dan2026

Ugh their hair looks horrible and so do the textures.

In fact the whole game doesn't look great from the shots I have seen.

The Witcher 3 and others have spoiled me.

impact

Banned
Damn that looks really bad

Hopefully another Witcher 3 situation where the PC version looks a generation ahead of the consoles.

platina

Ugh their hair looks horrible and so do the textures.

In fact the whole game doesn't look great from the shots I have seen.

The Witcher 3 and others have spoiled me.
It just needs better aa and some sort of motion blur all the time. The lighting is way better than the witcher and many other games

ShamePain

Banned
The game looks positively cross-gen, kinda like MGS5, some great materials here and there, but often the scenes are empty, low detailed and flat. The IQ is horrible as well.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Hopefully another Witcher 3 situation where the PC version looks a generation ahead of the consoles.

Don't get your hopes up too much. PC was the lead platform for Witcher 3 and CDP are some of the best PC devs around. Square Enix on the other hand haven't even announced a PC version yet.

Mifec

Tabata said that they'd probably make the PC version "high spec" whatever he means by that.

tuxfool

Banned
Assets and everything about this game are fairly nice, but completely let down by their AA, AF and resolution.

This looks particularly gross.

Pixel counting this screen is quite hard. Whatever postproc they're doing turns edges into some lumpy sludge.

It just needs better aa and some sort of motion blur all the time. The lighting is way better than the witcher and many other games

Not so sure about the lighting statement but I do agree the game needs much better AA solution and motion blur to clean up the rough edges.

At least based on what I see technically from the game, as not a comp. sci. or graphics person though, it looks like a game that should be running at native 1080p with a fixed 30 fps.

jett

D-Member
They might be using temporal reconstruction now, they way Quantum Break and Killzone ShadowFall do, which may account for the fucked up image quality when the game is in motion. It might still be 900p or lower, who knows, all I know is it looks dreadful. I think they also lowered the resolution on the hair. The only thing that is gonna save this visual mess is a PS4K or a PC version.

Dimmle

I enjoyed the demo after acclimating myself to how it ran but the camera movement made me physically uncomfortable at first.

Is it the frame rate that's doing this? Why can I stomach early 3D games with similar frame rate problems? Is it because the camera is more stable in stuff like Ocarina of Time?

I enjoyed the demo after acclimating myself to how it ran but the camera movement made me physically uncomfortable at first.

Is it the frame rate that's doing this? Why can I stomach early 3D games with similar frame rate problems? Is it because the camera is more stable in stuff like Ocarina of Time?

....Ocarina of Time doesn't have direct camera control while in 3rd person. Only a button to center the camera.

platina

Not so sure about the lighting statement but I do agree the game needs much better AA solution and motion blur to clean up the rough edges.

At least based on what I see technically from the game, as not a comp. sci. or graphics person though, it looks like a game that should be running at native 1080p with a fixed 30 fps.
But it looks so good though, and this is the same room just different TOD
rqTwpM.png

e7X7iX.png

X8dtcv.png

120v

the demo looked okay on TV but i'd hate to play it on my monitor. i don't expect open world games to look fantastic on this gen of consoles anymore

Philippo

I'm pretty positive the IQ will get better by release.
The game went in beta/polishing phase around November, and i doubt the demo is from a much later build than that, and even if it was, they'd still have 6 months of only polishing left to do.

tuxfool

Banned

The demo has extremely bad frame pacing, so it will feel very juddery to some people.

Fbh

I would have been fine with the graphics if the demo at least had smooth performance.
But it looked bad AND performed terribly. It was like the worst of both worlds

This scene must be running at 5fps in their current console build:
giphy.gif

Mifec

That means you might want to have some Pascal Titans ready.

As for the console versions.. PS4K looks like the answer for this IQ.

Depends on how much the Pascal release is staggered I might just the the Pascal Titan instead of the xx80Ti

Mcdohl

Guys, not every game will be as graphically good as TW3.

Why not compare it to other open world RPGs this Gen?

It's certainly better looking than Fallout 4 or Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Not to mention, this is SE's first open world jRPG?

I would have been fine with the graphics if the demo at least had smooth performance.
But it looked bad AND performed terribly. It was like the worst of both worlds

This scene must be running at 5fps in their current console build:
giphy.gif
Lol, all those NPCs. I think that scene is due for a TW3-style downgrade where we end up with a fraction of the people.

I really did like the lighting, but dear lord that city at the end looked awful. Some of the textures looked early PS3 level

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Lol, all those NPCs. I think that scene is due for a TW3-style downgrade where we end up with a fraction of the people.

You can bet!

Btw it'll not sound very good (and it's not) but this game got so many rough edges graphically that reminds me of Lightning Returns... looks very unpolished for a main FF. FFXIII didn't have anything like this, well except for that ugly Dog that appeared only in the beach and no one ever noticed until LR came out -.-'
Luminous Engine must be a real pain in the ass to develop with.

Theorry

Yeah was really bad. I have glasses on when i game but i even put those down to get abit of a softer look haha.

VG tech said this btw in his vid.

"Pixel counts indicate that the Final Fantasy 15 Platinum Demo uses a dynamic resolution on both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One. The PS4 resolution seems to vary between 1600x900 and 1920x1080 while the Xbox One resolution seems to vary between 1344x756 and something close to 1690x950."

impact

Banned
the demo looked okay on TV but i'd hate to play it on my monitor. i don't expect open world games to look fantastic on this gen of consoles anymore

This is a last gen game though, that's why it looks so fuckin ugly

Even the shots that look good, don't, because they're blurry as hell (probably sub-native res)

ar4757

With all this complaining about AA and resolution and whatever, do you guys only play like The Witcher 3 and The Order and that's it? Not every game needs to, nor should be, the absolute best game in graphics at its release. For Final Fantasy, this game seems impressive to me, and Square is new to a lot of this (well, new as in 10 years in but their first game :p)

im really dissapointend in the graphics of this game. Still hyped as hell, but its certainly a bummer

maybe in motion it doesn't bother me that much...

This is a last gen game though, that's why it looks so fuckin ugly

Even the shots that look good, don't, because they're blurry as hell (probably sub-native res)

Nah, you're mistaking tech that Square Enix don't know how to use properly with cross gen development. When the game looks good, it looks far beyond last gen. To me it sounds like they're having teething problems with the engine, and this is reflected in the inconsistencies in the game's visuals.

It's a shame since the art, lighting and some of the main character models are ace. Technically it's a mess though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The performance needs to be the main focus from here on out but the IQ needs a ton of work as well. Losing motion blur in gameplay is a bummer too. Don't have high hopes for this game technically outside of the lighting.

Hmmm, I thought the IQ was improved since Duscae. Overall I think it looked good and am a bit baffled by the response on here. Well not to the content, which was...not a good representation of the game. Enjoyable for a tech demo though.

I think the final game will look good based on the recent trailers. I think that footage is from the PS4 version or a PC of similar spec. I think it will look more impressive than Witcher 3. Duscae was super rough, but lighting, scale, animations and modelling all were more impressive than W3 to me. W3 of course had better IQ, AA, environments with more attention to detail, and better performance at this stage.

vpance

But it looks so good though, and this is the same room just different TOD
rqTwpM.png

e7X7iX.png

X8dtcv.png

IQ and blurriness still ruins it. Doesn't matter how nice the lighting may seem.

FFXV is the argument for high quality baked lighting. But even The Division pulls the realtime GI like style better anyways.

tuxfool

Banned
With all this complaining about AA and resolution and whatever, do you guys only play like The Witcher 3 and The Order and that's it? Not every game needs to, nor should be, the absolute best game in graphics at its release. For Final Fantasy, this game seems impressive to me, and Square is new to a lot of this (well, new as in 10 years in but their first game :p)

I should point out that CDPR was new to open world games too?

Top Bottom